The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Vaudeville Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39832)

chriskisn 04-09-2009 07:11 PM

Vaudeville Years

I was listening to Vaudeville Years (Disc 1 I think) yesterday, the first time I've listened to it even though I've had it for a while.

I really enjoyed the Jeremy songs on the disc (The vocal introductions are a bit annoying though) - especially Man Of Action which is a brilliant send up of John Mayall. As a Mayall fan I couldn't stop laughing while listening to this.

slipkid 04-10-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 813893)
I was listening to Vaudeville Years (Disc 1 I think) yesterday, the first time I've listened to it even though I've had it for a while.

I really enjoyed the Jeremy songs on the disc (The vocal introductions are a bit annoying though) - especially Man Of Action which is a brilliant send up of John Mayall. As a Mayall fan I couldn't stop laughing while listening to this.

You don't like Milton Schlitz? :rolleyes: What I really like about the "radio show" is when the band does the mock west-coast psychedelic band song. It proves this band could've played in any style if they chose to. I know it was done tongue in cheek and half assed, but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.

chriskisn 04-10-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipkid (Post 813962)
You don't like Milton Schlitz? :rolleyes: What I really like about the "radio show" is when the band does the mock west-coast psychedelic band song. It proves this band could've played in any style if they chose to. I know it was done tongue in cheek and half assed, but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.

If I hear correctly - The Orange Electric Squares? :)

It really shows the versatility of the band, and also of Jeremy. I know it was all in fun, but he really could turn his hand to anything. Its like the Jeremy Spencer album from 1970. Such a great variation of musical styles...

I lent the Vaudeville album to my mother (she likes PG era FM) but she kept skipping the tracks every time she heard "Milton Schlitz" as it was annoying her. I had to make her go back and listen to Man Of Action as she is also a Mayall fan.

Slightly off the topic but it is really sad that I've introduced my mother to so much music...Everytime I buy a CD she borrows it!

chiliD 04-10-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

...but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.

Or, Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd.

Norton 04-11-2009 04:21 AM

I'm impressed

Quote:

Scary! I am listening to BBC Radio 2, Brian Mathews - Sounds of the Sixties (SOTS). Just as I read this, he plays 'You'r Gonna Miss Me' by the 13th Floor Elevators... (1966)

Setlist :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jrvbq (track23).

How did you manage to do that?

slipkid 04-11-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norton (Post 814158)
Scary! I am listening to BBC Radio 2, Brian Mathews - Sounds of the Sixties (SOTS). Just as I read this, he plays 'You'r Gonna Miss Me' by the 13th Floor Elevators... (1966)

Setlist :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jrvbq (track23).

How did you manage to do that?

I made a transatlantic phone call request to BBC Radio 2 in London just to freak you out. :lol: :laugh: That's just pure coincidence.

It's certainly a band you don't hear about everyday. Sadly, their frontman Roky Erickson was a classic case of a serious acid casualty. By 1968 he claimed to have done LSD 200 times (or was it 300?). Even though they all were from Austin TX, they adopted that San Francisco vibe quickly. I think there's a box set coming out soon as well.

Ms Moose 04-13-2009 04:27 AM

I am still looking for Vaudeville Years. Unfortunately I didn't buy it when I saw it in a shop two years ago, and now it is impossible to find or get from Amazon without paying a fortune.

How come these are not re-issued either?

The Live at the BBC and Showbizz-Blues recordings are amongst my favourites so I am looking forward to hear Vaudeville Years and Milton Schlitz - whoever he is...

But then again it is nice to have something that I have never heard to look/listen forward to.:woohoo:

Ms Moose

chriskisn 04-13-2009 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Moose (Post 814461)
I am still looking for Vaudeville Years. Unfortunately I didn't buy it when I saw it in a shop two years ago, and now it is impossible to find or get from Amazon without paying a fortune.

How come these are not re-issued either?

The Live at the BBC and Showbizz-Blues recordings are amongst my favourites so I am looking forward to hear Vaudeville Years and Milton Schlitz - whoever he is...

But then again it is nice to have something that I have never heard to look/listen forward to.:woohoo:

Ms Moose

Well I guess it depends what you consider to be a fortune. You can still pick up a copy for around US$40 on Amazon (through a third party seller) which is expensive but not prohibitive...

Ms Moose 04-13-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 814462)
Well I guess it depends what you consider to be a fortune. You can still pick up a copy for around US$40 on Amazon (through a third party seller) which is expensive but not prohibitive...

Inspired by your pep-talk, chriskisn - I promptly went and bought a not so expensive one on Amazon.uk - My lament was based on the last time I looked there - and was chocked. Thanks!

Ms Moose:woohoo:

chriskisn 04-13-2009 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Moose (Post 814463)
Inspired by your pep-talk, chriskisn - I promptly went and bought a not so expensive one on Amazon.uk - My lament was based on the last time I looked there - and was chocked. Thanks!

Worth every cent though, if only for the Jeremy parodies...:)

slipkid 04-13-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Moose (Post 814463)

It's well worth the money. The second disc has the complete studio version of 'Underway', the Madge jams in their entirety, and unreleased jamming from an October '69 studio session. There are also a couple good Kirwan Then Play On outtakes that are interesting.

lazy poker 02-14-2015 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 813965)
If I hear correctly - The Orange Electric Squares? :)

the orange electric SQUITTERS!

Neb-Maat-Re 02-19-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

I know it was done tongue in cheek and half assed, but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.

Who some might argue were themselves tongue in cheek and half assed.

wetcamelfood 02-19-2015 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So half fast. :)

John