The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Do you miss the Eddy Quintela era? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49765)

Villavic 02-22-2012 04:28 PM

Do you miss the Eddy Quintela era?

According to sources, Christine met Eddy Quintela during her solo album production (circa 1984). They got married in 1986 and divorced in the mid 90s, before The Dance.

He co-wrote several songs with Christine. Little Lies, Isn't it Midnight, Temporary One, Save Me, As long as you follow!!, Sooner or Later..

I love Christine songs from that era. I don't think her divorce was the reason for not keep touring with Fleetwood Mac but probably it influenced her decision to retire and live in England. Eddie-Christine songs are beautiful, and Christine songs from 1984 t0 1997 were, many of them, beautiful too, probably inspired in a happy moment of her life. I miss that era, probably her best.

PenguinHead 02-24-2012 01:14 AM

Interesting. I never knew I missed the Quintela era until you mentioned it. I generally think of Christine's songs as self-penned. But she wrote quite a few songs with collaboraters, Eddy being the most prolific. They worked well together. I suppose they are completely estranged now. Was Christine ever on record for saying why they parted?

I don't know much about him. Was he a musician or established in the music industry before meeting Christine?

HomerMcvie 02-24-2012 01:39 AM

I only know that he played keyboards, too....

He has no article on Wiki, so my guess would be no!:lol:

Matthew 02-24-2012 11:06 AM

I love this era. Definitely best era of Christine´s songs in my opinion. I grew up with songs like Everywhere, Little Lies and As Long As You Follow. And when I heard Behind The Mask or Time for the first time I fell in love with Nigths In Estoril .. or Heart Of Stone is great song too. Her work during this time is my favourite much more than Rumours or so...

vivfox 02-24-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 1041277)
Definitely best era of Christine´s songs when I heard Behind The Mask or Time for the first time I fell in love with Nigths In Estoril .

It's on her solo album that came out this century, not Behind The Mask which was released in 1990.

bangdrum 02-24-2012 04:31 PM

Actually, it's on Time which came out in 1995. :p

vivfox 02-24-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangdrum (Post 1041330)
Actually, it's on Time which came out in 1995. :p

Touche. You got me. I had that album and gave it away after one listen.

HomerMcvie 02-24-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1041332)

That's how I got my SYW. My friend gave it one listen, hated it, and gave it to me!:laugh:

David 02-24-2012 09:57 PM

I miss the 1974-1976 Christine McVie era.

I had to go look up the Eddy Quintela era.

HomerMcvie 02-24-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1041351)
I miss the 1974-1976 Christine McVie era.

I had to go look up the Eddy Quintela era.

I miss the 1970-1998 Christine era.

And I wouldn't miss Eddy, if he'd only stand still.:laugh:

aleuzzi 02-25-2012 02:48 AM

I like her collaborations more with her nephew. The songs on ITM are a lot catchier, in the spirit of Christine's 70s work, than with the Eddie collaborations. I do love Little Lies, Hollywood, Temporary One, and Save Me--but I feel that, on the whole, her songs are not as interesting with him. The least impressive song (not performance) on ITM is Easy Come-Easy Go, the only Christine-Eddie collaboration.

HomerMcvie 02-25-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1041379)
The least impressive song (not performance) on ITM is Easy Come-Easy Go, the only Christine-Eddie collaboration.

I like her collaborations more with her nephew.

I didn't realize that that was an Eddy co-write. But I agree.

Calumny and Northern Star are absolute perfection. And I think the production on both, are better than anything Lindsey could have done.

chriskisn 02-25-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1041332)

You did what? Bad Viv! :mad:

:lol:

aleuzzi 02-25-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1041386)

Calumny and Northern Star are absolute perfection. And I think the production on both, are better than anything Lindsey could have done.

Agreed! Both of those, btw, are Danny Perfect songs. Her vocals on both of them are terrific.

michelej1 02-25-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1041386)
I didn't realize that that was an Eddy co-write. But I agree.

Calumny is one of the Top 5 songs in her career, in my estimation. The lyrics are captivating. Her voice is so expressive, worn, pained, craggy, jagged. She's got such masterful control of her tone, giving us the message in each line.

Northern Star is my second favorite song on the album. The production on it is fine, but I do wonder about an FM arrangement, if not on the record, then in concert. This is the one song on that album that I would have liked her to do at a Fleetwood Mac concert. I wouldn't have anyone else but her on vocal, but I would like to hear the rest of the band playing along with her, especially at the song's end.

Michele