The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What if the band toured singing 'deep album cuts' rather than new songs? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56717)

bwboy 12-24-2016 01:31 PM

What if the band toured singing 'deep album cuts' rather than new songs?

Would that be a good compromise for the band and the fans? Instead of new songs we've never heard before and may not like, they could perform Why, I Don't Want to Know, Can't Go Back, Straight Back, Think About Me, Hold Me, Crystal, etc. I know I was not all that thrilled with the 4 new songs they made for the Dance tour and album- they were ok but nothing great and it's easy to see why they don't perform them anymore (Bleed to Love Her, Sweet Girl, Temporary One, and My Little Demon).

Stevie seems more than willing to do this, judging from her recent tour, plus she's already pulled an obscure song out for the last few FM tours anyway (Beautiful Child, Storms, Sisters of the Moon). People complain about the set list, so this would be the obvious solution, combining their greatest hits with songs they've rarely performed live before.

SteveMacD 12-24-2016 01:53 PM

Because Lindsey and Christine want to make new music. Doing deep cuts might be interesting for fans, but there's nothing new or creative about that from their perspective, and they ultimately need to get something intrinsic out of this.

SisterNightroad 12-24-2016 01:57 PM

I had also thought about this and I have to say that I would like it too. Basically I'd be content anyway.

lilyfee 12-24-2016 02:12 PM

Stevie has struck a great balance in her current tour, IMHO. While groupings of lesser-known songs occasionally lag, fans leave satisfied after the explosive conclusion of some of her greatest hits.

With so much material, I don't think any songs the band would choose to play would be such deep cuts that they wouldn't go over well. And between the three writers, there are soo many hits that even if it's not a Rumours tour onstage, casual fans will still recognize most songs and be thrilled.

I think what the band doesn't realize is that time is actually their greatest ally now... While they've expressed reluctance to play brand new songs on tour because they don't want to cut people's "favorite" songs, at this point nearly their entire catalog is "old"... Therefore younger fans (such as myself) have access to, and enjoy, the same catalog as lifelong fans, and even so-called casual fans who might have only picked up their first few albums in the beginning are accustomed to the band through radio/movie soundtracks/covers, etc.

I brought a friend to see Stevie this year and literally the only song she knew was Edge of Seventeen... Now Moonlight is her new favorite song, just based on Stevie's performance, which blew it out of the water. I think FM still has the power to inspire people's new favorite songs.:shrug:

AlexD 12-24-2016 02:19 PM

It would be a spit in the face

SteveMacD 12-24-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyfee (Post 1198682)
I think what the band doesn't realize is that time is actually their greatest ally now... While they've expressed reluctance to play brand new songs on tour because they don't want to cut people's "favorite" songs, at this point nearly their entire catalog is "old"... Therefore younger fans (such as myself) have access to, and enjoy, the same catalog as lifelong fans, and even so-called casual fans who might have only picked up their first few albums in the beginning are accustomed to the band through radio/movie soundtracks/covers, etc.

I think that WAS the case. While they opted to do a hits show when Christine returned, which made some sense given the length of her absence, I think Christine and Lindsey would rather have been touring a new album. I think they're all more open to playing the deep cuts as well as new songs. If they played 24 songs, they could play the 13 must do songs* and still have 11 to play with.

*13 must do songs
The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
I'm So Afraid
Rhiannon
Everywhere
Big Love
Landslide
Tusk
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop
Songbird

Macfan4life 12-24-2016 03:02 PM

I think everyone on this board would kill to see a deep track tour. But remember that we are probably 15% of the people that attend their shows as "super fans." They will always have the "must do" songs that we have heard countless times. I think each member will offer up one deep track each for the next tour.
Even with promoting a new album. I don't think we would hear more than 3 songs from the new album.
Of course if I had my way, almost every song on the next tour would be a deep cut but that is not going to happen.

elle 12-24-2016 04:02 PM

:lol::lol: i think this must be like 5th thread already started by a Stevie fan basically not wanting to hear any new music from FM.

that's why we need 2 tours - one with 4 of them and 6+ new tracks.

second tour with all 5 where they should have about half of the setlist deep cuts, instead of 5 greatest hits tour in a row.

capiche?

:angel::thumbsup:

elle 12-24-2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyfee (Post 1198682)
I think what the band doesn't realize is that time is actually their greatest ally now... While they've expressed reluctance to play brand new songs on tour because they don't want to cut people's "favorite" songs, at this point nearly their entire catalog is "old"...

when did they express that reluctance?? every time they had new songs they did them on tour.

FM 4 is considering touring for that EXACT reason - so they can showcase their new songs. in this century, both FM and LB always played 6 new songs when they had new album.

aleuzzi 12-24-2016 04:43 PM

I want new material. Period.

bwboy 12-24-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1198679)
Because Lindsey and Christine want to make new music. Doing deep cuts might be interesting for fans, but there's nothing new or creative about that from their perspective, and they ultimately need to get something intrinsic out of this.

I see your point, but surely performing a song live that they've never done before would stir their creative juices a little, plus it would liven up their concerts.

Hope you don't mind I called you surely!

bwboy 12-24-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1198685)
I think everyone on this board would kill to see a deep track tour. But remember that we are probably 15% of the people that attend their shows as "super fans." They will always have the "must do" songs that we have heard countless times. I think each member will offer up one deep track each for the next tour.
Even with promoting a new album. I don't think we would hear more than 3 songs from the new album.
Of course if I had my way, almost every song on the next tour would be a deep cut but that is not going to happen.

But chances are very good, I think you would agree, that more than 15% of FM fans would know virtually every song from Rumours, even Oh Daddy and I Don't Want to Know. And the next best selling FM album is Greatest Hits, which featured As Long As You Follow and No Questions Asked, 2 more songs they've never performed live.

bwboy 12-24-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1198687)
:lol::lol: i think this must be like 5th thread already started by a Stevie fan basically not wanting to hear any new music from FM.

that's why we need 2 tours - one with 4 of them and 6+ new tracks.

second tour with all 5 where they should have about half of the setlist deep cuts, instead of 5 greatest hits tour in a row.

capiche?

:angel::thumbsup:

I'm not opposed to a new album, it's just we have no idea when or even if one will ever be released. Personally, I'd rather hear good songs they've never performed live than new ones that may not stand the test of time.

But even if they do release a new album and Stevie doesn't sing on it, I'd be thrilled if she sang songs from the Buckingham Nicks album, or Straight Back, That's Alright, etc in lieu of new material. That way, everyone wins- FM puts out a new album, Stevie sings old songs she's never performed before without having to record with them, and the fans hear new music either way.

elle 12-24-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1198695)
I'm not opposed to a new album, it's just we have no idea when or even if one will ever be released. Personally, I'd rather hear good songs they've never performed live than new ones that may not stand the test of time.

But even if they do release a new album and Stevie doesn't sing on it, I'd be thrilled if she sang songs from the Buckingham Nicks album, or Straight Back, That's Alright, etc in lieu of new material. That way, everyone wins- FM puts out a new album, Stevie sings old songs she's never performed before without having to record with them, and the fans hear new music either way.

see, i think the probability of a new album being released is higher than FM doing half a setlist of deep cuts, tbh.

no no, you are not hearing us. look at that other poll where new album / tour of 4 / tour of 5 option is handily the most picked! many of us WANT to hear new songs, and we feel are losing a lot if we don't hear them. for me, new music and hearing it live is much more exciting than hearing deep cuts (and you may or may not be aware, but i've been badgering Lindsey for Walk A Thin Line and Deep Dense forever - see here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater, so that should tell you something!).

plus new album / tour of 4 with new music / tour of 5 with mixed in deep cuts is a win for both fans like me and fans like you - you don't have to go see the tour of 4 with new music and you still get the tour of 5.

i'm not sure why you think new music would not be good. Lindsey's stuff from last 10 years is full of pretty fantastic songs, he's definitely on a roll. Sad Angel was a crowd pleaser on 2013 tour. btw, Bleed To Love Her was performed the whole last leg of the FM tour in 2015, and people generally agree it's a great song even though you seem to not be fond of it. in fact Lindsey has been pretty consistently performing a song from SYW on their last 2 tours - Say Goodbye in 2013, and BTLH in 2015. now we need Red Rover back on the next tour! and Murrow! and Come, and even Steal Your Heart Away would be interesting.

Say You Will 12-24-2016 11:27 PM

Time's a wasting. New Music and tour before its too late...