The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Entertainment Weekly celebrates the 40th anniversary of Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56824)

bwboy 01-28-2017 09:36 AM

Entertainment Weekly celebrates the 40th anniversary of Rumours

Writer Leah Greenblatt ranks the 11 songs, and writes a telling tidbit about each song. I included the three more amusing or scathing comments.

1) Dreams

2) The Chain

3) Songbird

4) Gold Dust Woman

5) Don't Stop

6) Never Going Back Again

7) Go Your Own Way

8) You Make Loving Fun- Basically Christine's sweet way of letting her then husband John know what an amazing time she's having boning the band's lighting director.

9) Second Hand News- Buckingham's giddy, album-opening ode to a post-Stevie re-bow-bow-bah-bow-bound chick who has no idea how much she will not be missed.

10) Oh Daddy

11) I Don't Want to Know- On any other album, it would be a highlight; here, it's just the third best Western-tinged guitar romp about infidelity and forgiveness and rehashing the past while also being totally, totally cool with letting go.

Wdm6789 01-28-2017 09:40 AM

You Make Loving Fun is probably the best song on the album. Gold Dust Woman and Dreams are the other two bests from the album.

TrueFaith77 01-28-2017 09:56 AM

I don't know if I could rank them, but Go Your Own Way is the best Fleetwood Mac song of all time.

MikeVielhaber 01-28-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1200730)
I don't know if I could rank them, but Go Your Own Way is the best Fleetwood Mac song of all time.

Yes, this. It is definitely not middle of the pack for this album.

bombaysaffires 01-28-2017 11:57 AM

do you have a link to the full article? I couldn't locate it.

BLY 01-28-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

GYOW is up there but for me it's The Chain.

bwboy 01-28-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1200732)
do you have a link to the full article? I couldn't locate it.

I subscribe to EW and got it in the mail yesterday. It's a double issue dated Feb 3/Feb 10 and has the Oscars on the cover. Sorry, I don't have a link.

aleuzzi 01-28-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1200733)
GYOW is up there but for me it's The Chain.

Yeah--The Chain feels to me like the premier track. But GYOW and then YMLF are not close behind. GDW always struck me as Stevie's best Rumours song.

Everything on the album works so well that ranking the songs seems pointless. But I can't think of another topper than The Chain.

bwboy 01-28-2017 12:53 PM

Rumours is a hard album to rank- as the writer noted, even I Don't Want to Know, which she put last, would have been a highlight on any other album. I mean, you've got lyrical masterpieces or showstoppers like The Chain, GDW, Songbird, and GYOW next to simple pop perfection gems like YMLF, SHN, and IDWTK.

Generally, I think most people might rank GYOW, Dreams, Songbird, and the Chain at or near the top, and maybe Oh Daddy, IDWTK, and NGBA at or near the bottom. Though personally, IDWTK is one of my favorites.

jbrownsjr 01-28-2017 01:53 PM

The Chain
Songbird
You Make Lovin Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Daddy
I Don't Wanna Know
Go Your Own Way
Dreams
Don't Stop
Second Hand News
Never Going Back Again

Then shake it up and do it again because they are all amazing tunes.

jcalzaretta 01-28-2017 06:24 PM

I have The Chain, GDW, Dreams and GYOW at top. Don't Stop at the bottom. Very hard to rank these. This is one brilliant record.

Wdm6789 01-28-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

You've heard Why, and Gypsy and Sara, right?

aleuzzi 01-28-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1200737)
The Chain
Songbird
You Make Lovin Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Daddy
I Don't Wanna Know
Go Your Own Way
Dreams
Don't Stop
Second Hand News
Never Going Back Again

Then shake it up and do it again because they are all amazing tunes.

Yes--the shake up method! But your top and bottom choices here are mine always.

Newzchspy 01-31-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1200756)
You've heard Why, and Gypsy and Sara, right?

I have to agree with @Wdm6789 Many true fans would beg to differ that GYOW is the best of all time. In fact, while it is a great song and is several Top 100 Rock Songs or Angry Breakup Songs, I can't say its their best. Perhaps one of the most recognizable, but the best?? My top FM songs vary based on what I'm feeling at that time or whats going on??

Macfan4life 01-31-2017 03:12 PM

Ranking the Rumours songs is like nailing jello to a wall. Its really impossible to do. The album flows nicely and is a complete project.