The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Ledge Boards (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   So What Happened to The Penguin? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=11945)

ThePenguin 10-18-2003 05:02 PM

So What Happened to The Penguin?

On Wednesday, October 8th I received a note from the company that hosts The Penguin, informing me that my site was once again using too many resources and negatively affecting the other accounts on the semi-dedicated server. If the drain on the server was not decreased immediately, the site would be suspended. Unfortunately, this has happened many times in the past and I have continuously shuffled and modified the site to try to decrease the amount of server resources and bandwidth it consumes. However, due to the large amount of material on The Penguin, the popularity of the band since the release of the new album, and the current SYW tour, there is only so much that I can do. I turned on the load limiting options on The Ledge hoping that would be enough-- this is what causes the “server busy” messages when more than 50 simultaneous visitors are on the boards or even the server load spikes. It cannot, however, limit visitors on the remainder of The Penguin site, which receives the majority of the traffic. On Thursday, October 9th, I had to leave for a business trip in San Diego. I was able to log on to the internet on October 10th and found the site to be shut down. Ironically, that was Fleetwood Mac Day.

When I arrived back home on Sunday evening, Bob Welch called about ten minutes after I walked in the door. At the time I was definitely leaning towards closing the site, and told him I would reach a decision later in the week and would try to get something posted at www.fleetwoodmac.net.

In order to continue the site, my host wanted me to upgrade from their semi-dedicated plan to a dedicated server. The cost is about three times what I was currently paying per month. I am sure that it comes as no surprise to anyone here or visitors to The Penguin that I am not really "into" the site like I was at one time. My life has simply changed. When I started the site in April 1995, I was recently married, a student, and had no children. Now I have two children-- Brittany just turned 7 (also on FM Day) and Benjamin will turn 4 in February (he’s a leap year baby actually!) I also have a very exciting yet demanding job, and am concentrating on building my professional career. Between the kids, work, and Lis, The Penguin just does not have the priority in my life that it once did. I just cannot manage it all and something had to give.

Nevertheless, assembling the Penguin over the past eight and a half years took me an incredible amount of effort, and was aided by the contributions from probably literally hundreds of fans. I am sure that The Penguin has introduced thousands of fans to the world of Fleetwood Mac and has been a very positive force for the band for close to a decade. Although I am certain that I will never go back to working on it as I once did, I would like it to continue if possible online and serve as an archive for FM fans. The costs that I have been paying per month were very difficult for me as a student, but are not so bad right now. Paying three times as much, though, would be a very real drain on our budget. At this time, three generous benefactors have kindly volunteered to split the difference of the increase. The Penguin is now on a dedicated server, and this will hopefully solve all of the technical glitches and interruptions in service that we have experienced at times of very high traffic.

This is also a turning point. As I want to keep the site online and want it to be more continuously updated, this concept conflicts with my lack of time to actually do it. I am going to be recruiting a handful of talented and responsible individuals to take over updating sections of the site. The Penguin used to be THE site for the most current and accurate information on Fleetwood Mac, and it can once again regain that role. If you are interested in volunteering your time, please drop me a note at penguin@fleetwoodmac.net. If you have a website, please send me the URL; I am especially looking for a few people knowledgeable in coding PHP and MySQL databases.

Quite a few people have also asked how they can help financially. Thank you sincerely for your interest. The best way would just be to use the links provided on The Penguin when you make your online purchases for stores like Amazon.com and Ebay. A small portion comes back to the site and it would help to ease the burden on the four of us. I have also added a Paypal donation link on the left side of the Ledge. I posted more information on this option further down in this thread.

In conclusion, I hope this clears up what happened. Here’s to another eight and a half years and beyond.

GardenStateGirlie 10-18-2003 05:31 PM

Re:

Marty,
I don't think we all take into account every time we log onto this website the amount of effort, time, money and love that was put into its creation and its upkeep. Thank you for being the first website that I ever surfed to when I finally got the internet in early 98'. Back then I was just a kid (posting under the name StephanieNicks_98) ... 13 years old with a love for a band that I was not aware until visiting this site, that other people had an undying love for as well. Now, at age 20, times have changed but many of the same faces from The Ledge remain. I have made lifelong friends through coming here...not just concert buddies. I think I speak for the masses when I say THANK YOU. If I can be of any help with anything at all, please let me know.

-Marissa

jools 10-18-2003 05:37 PM

Marty,

I as a relative newcomer to this site, would like to thank you for all your time & effort in keeping this site up and running.
This is the site that i turned to after the disaster of the offical sites, and think it is excellent.
Have you ever thought of doing a PAYPAL donate scheme ?

I will attempt to help in any way i can

Regards

Julian McAuslan

seeknpeace 10-18-2003 06:32 PM

Ahhhh

Marty, thank you so much for filling us in on this new era of the Penguin and Ledge. I want to just let you know how much I respect you and how very glad I am that this is going to find a way to be worked out. I happily and gladly offer you any assistance that I can give. I think the entire community of Fleetwood Mac fans have always known that this site is in fact the official site for us. Thank you for finding a way. :wavey:

wondergirl9847 10-18-2003 06:58 PM

THANKS MARTY!!

Thanks for all the hard work that goes into this site and for keeping it up!! Any way that we can be of help, please, keep us informed!!

VIVA LA LEDGE!! :D

dissention 10-18-2003 07:40 PM

Thanks, Marty! I am ECSTATIC that the Penguin and the Ledge are back in business! Hooray! :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :xoxo: :thumbsup:

reebokandlace 10-18-2003 08:00 PM

Thank you for keeping the site alive! I will be sure to use the links provided on the site when make purchases on Amazon and Ebay. Its the least I can do!!!

Please be sure to let us know if money is ever needed to keep the site going... I am sure there are several fans on this site who would be willing to help financially to keep this site alive and well!!

gldstwmn 10-18-2003 08:16 PM

Marty,
Thanks to you and your benefactors for keeping this site running. It's my favorite place.:) :wavey:

golddust 10-18-2003 08:20 PM

~~~A thousand thanks for all you do for fans of Fleetwood Mac. I'm so happy you are able to and have decided to continue this site. I'm going right now to make a purchase at Amazon.com. Thanks for the info that it helps the Penguin however slightly.~~~

Enchanted58 10-18-2003 08:28 PM

Marty,

You have built an unbelieveable resource here and I, along with many, would be happy to donate time, money, whatever needed, to keep it running. Thanks so much for bringing the site up again!

Eileen

macmar71 10-18-2003 08:42 PM

Hi Marty
I want you to know that your site here is one of the most in-depth on this band and it is simply the best in my opinion. I am glad to hear that it will continue on and I would like you to know that your site means so much to me.:)
My best wishes always to you and your family.:wavey:

golden braid 10-18-2003 08:45 PM

Marty, thank you so much for bringing back the Penguin and the Ledge. It is a wonderful site with tons of information and it is where I go first each time I get on the internet.:thumbsup:

kristin 10-18-2003 10:14 PM

I don't post on here as much as I used to....but when I thought it had been shut down all of a sudden, it felt really weird!! It's te first place I always turn to for FM info. Glad to see it back up.

Kristin

annaconda69 10-18-2003 11:33 PM

I don't come here as often as I'd like but have always enjoyed your site since I came online. If there's anything I can do to help out the site, just ask. I'll be sure to use the links to Amazon & eBay now that I know it'll help out this site too!! Very glad you're back on thanks to your benifactors. Wishing this site much luck & love from a fan....

WelshWitchPMD 10-18-2003 11:49 PM

Oh My I came back from Denver to see the Mac and to my horror the Ledge AND the Penguin were gone without warning.
Marty, you don't know how happy I am to have the site back up. This is one of the best Mac sites around and without it I just feel so lost. Thank you for all of your time and effort put into the site!!
A big thanks to all who are keeping the site alive in anyway.
If there is anything that I can do to help in anyway just let me know. :)