The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Music Videos You Hate (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=13805)

littlelies7 04-10-2004 11:58 PM

Music Videos You Hate

Mine is a country music video: Garth Brooks' "The Red Strokes". If you ever see it, you'll see what I mean. Ugh! So scary!

In one part, this guy is dumped with red paint and to me... it looks like blood. It freaked the heck out of me. And it still does.

What is a music video you really hate?

greatdarkwing 04-11-2004 12:24 AM

"You are not alone" Michael Jackson .....ewwww LOL. Can I add the kiss at the MTV awards, LOL!

~Alex

wondergirl9847 04-11-2004 12:44 AM

Lol!

I just saw part of that Garth video on CMT's 100 Greatest Country Videos countdown. YUCK is right. First of all, I don't care for Garth, and that red paint does look like blood. :eek:

I hate any music video with half-nekkid girls shakin' their butt...in other words...most rap videos.

That Nine Inch Nails video, Closer, with the gross stuff in it. Bleh.

littlelies7 04-11-2004 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
[FONT=Book Antiqua]I just saw part of that Garth video on CMT's 100 Greatest Country Videos countdown. YUCK is right. First of all, I don't care for Garth, and that red paint does look like blood. :eek:
FONT]

I thought I was the only one who was going "Aaaaahhhh!!! It looks like blood!!"

I hate (and am scared of) that video so much, when it came on once, I ran out of the room.

ryan8472 04-11-2004 07:43 AM

Music videos I hate?...

Basically everything they play on MTV. I wish I got VH1 Classic.....

estranged4life 04-11-2004 10:05 AM

I agree...

Quote:

I hate any music video with half-nekkid girls shakin' their butt...in other words...most rap videos.

I hate ANY rap video I have ever seen...Rap videos are the biggest "Poser-Fests" available for public consumption!

DeadliestPoison 04-11-2004 11:04 AM

I can't really think of any music videos I hate, but I can think of a few I loooove:

Nelly Furtado's "Try" video, Dido's *first* "Here With Me" video, the Spice Girls' "Viva Forever" video (I have no shame). They're all so pretty.

GypsySorcerer 04-11-2004 12:03 PM

Yeah, I hate that Garth Brooks video too.

Mariah Carey's "Heartbreaker" gets on my nerves. Pretty much any Britney Spears video.

darklinensuit 04-11-2004 01:06 PM

I haven't had any music video channels in many years, so these should test your memories.
I hated:
- Howard Jones's "Science"
- "Don't You Want Me Baby" and any of the other early 80s videos where the women are in the super-shiny make-up
- "Electric Avenue"
- "Pop Music"
- I know I'll get slammed, but they ran "Sledgehammer" so much in those days I hope I never see it again

- Jake

Janet 04-11-2004 03:35 PM

Not to stereotype everyone single rap video, but like 85% of them are girls, wearing nothing, shaking something, while the rapper and his friends hold out their "bling". I find it annoying and I don't enjoy it at all.

I also was VERY disappointed with Dido's " White Flag" video..I can't watch it...terrible acting and too glossy and totally hides the beauty she is...

But now most videos are disappointing. At least Toxic gave you things to look for...now many ass and t*t shots you saw at least LOL.

Sorcerer386 04-11-2004 06:53 PM

I can't stand a lot of the alternative rock videos that just show the band members doing ordinary things. The videos are always dark looking. The one that comes to mind right now is Fuel's "Falls on Me," where it just shows them laying around in this filthy room, two people playing old school atari, etc. The whole grunge look and sound are just awful imo. But then, a video that I love that most people would laugh at me for is Norah Jones's "Sunrise." That video is just hilarious though...how could you not love Norah and her one eyebrowed backup singer (her other one is shaved) fishing in the pond, then looking down into it and seeing themselves dressed in sunflowers suits and dancing around? It's a nice song too.

skcin 04-11-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklinensuit
- I know I'll get slammed, but they ran "Sledgehammer" so much in those days I hope I never see it again

- Jake

UGH! I thought I was the ONLY person on earth who hated that one - Big Time wasn't much better...

I refuse to watch any video by Tool. Friends & fam would make fun of me cuz I would scream & run from the room when the video for "Prison Sex" came on - that weird little creepy/shaky/spastic thing/creature/guy scares the **** out of me to this day! Not a fan of Manson's vids either.

Paula

Catdancer 04-11-2004 08:08 PM

These days everybody seems to be naked in videos. They don't care about the music anymore, so I don't watch the video channels anymore. It's garbage.
Debbie

DeadliestPoison 04-11-2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skcin
UGH! I thought I was the ONLY person on earth who hated that one - Big Time wasn't much better...

I refuse to watch any video by Tool. Friends & fam would make fun of me cuz I would scream & run from the room when the video for "Prison Sex" came on - that weird little creepy/shaky/spastic thing/creature/guy scares the **** out of me to this day! Not a fan of Manson's vids either.

Paula

Their "Schism" video scared the CRAP out of me. It had those grey people-lookin' things with red branch-ish things sticking out of their heads. aAaAAah!!

The song's really good, though.

DrummerDeanna 04-11-2004 10:19 PM

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the music video anymore...the last one I saw that I thought was great was Johnny Cash- Hurt..

But, as this thread is about videos we hate...

I agree...I hate any rap video (mostly because I hate the genre)..

Any Mariah Carey video
I also agree with Christy...any video that has naked girls shaking things etc...blah

GardenStateGirlie 04-11-2004 11:39 PM

I absolutely cannot stand hair band videos, heavy metal (a la headbangers ball on mtv 2) and rap videos. Currently, MTV keeps playing the video Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It makes absolutely no sense to me and frankly, it's annoying.

Jake, i'm with you on the Sledgehammer music video hate. Also, I cannot stand his video for In Your Eyes. It's a live performance and I swear, it's 20 years long and VH1 Classics ALWAYS plays it. I do, however, thank them for playing many many many FM and LB videos including As Long As You Follow.

...check your PMs...if you can find them :)

cliffdweller 04-12-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklinensuit
- "Don't You Want Me Baby" and any of the other early 80s videos where the women are in the super-shiny make-up- Jake

How about the guy in super shiny make-up? Usually I'm not grossed-out by men in make-up (David Bowie for instance, ah, sigh..), but that guy's make-up from Human League totally freaks me out. Maybe it's just the video, I don't know. Yuck!!

darklinensuit 04-12-2004 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffdweller
How about the guy in super shiny make-up? Usually I'm not grossed-out by men in make-up (David Bowie for instance, ah, sigh..), but that guy's make-up from Human League totally freaks me out. Maybe it's just the video, I don't know. Yuck!!

I guess slow dancing Lindsey managed to go insane but kept his shine-free look. ;)

- Jake

Sorcerer386 04-12-2004 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
I absolutely cannot stand hair band videos, heavy metal (a la headbangers ball on mtv 2) and rap videos. Currently, MTV keeps playing the video Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It makes absolutely no sense to me and frankly, it's annoying.

That Yeah Yeah Yeah song is absolutely awful. Not to mention, I think those are the ugliest two guys I've ever seen...the girl isn't too bad. But it's just one of those songs that is like, "I'm trying WAY to hard to show you how anti-mainstream and artsy I am." It's horrendous, and I can't believe MTV is playing it as much as it does. I can't even sit through the song, if you can call it that, as it doesn't seem to have much of a flow...just ramblings on and on.

Villavic 04-15-2004 05:41 PM

latest MJ...

In general, all latest MJackson videos (You are not alone, the one in the Brazil favelas, etc). I miss Billie Jean, Thriller era. Even some Dangerous videos were cool. But the latest were from his wacko freak mind.

I don't see much videos now. MTV is not the same as in the 80s. I like VH1 for the docs, special, BTM, etc..

I miss the 80s

gold_dustgypsy 03-11-2006 06:19 AM

Okay I despise:
-Micheal Jackson ~ Thriller
- Madonna ~ Hung Up
- ANYTHING by Mariah Carey but particualrly ~ Shake it off

:mad: Grrr just thinking about them makes my blood boil! GET OFF MY TELEVISION!!! :lol: Please MTV, no more!

Miss Vicky 03-11-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

That Nine Inch Nails video, Closer, with the gross stuff in it. Bleh.

I love the Closer video!

but let me see...

Oh, Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" not only is the song obnoxious, but that video drives me nuts too!

"Love Will Show Us How" Christine McVie. I know it was supposed to be a parody of all the other crappy eighties videos... but all she managed to do was make a video that was infinitely more obnoxious than the ones she was poking fun at.

One recent video that I LOVE though is Pink's "Stupid Girls." :laugh:

catinthedark 03-11-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
Currently, MTV keeps playing the video Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It makes absolutely no sense to me and frankly, it's annoying.

but the song is one of the best songs of the past year. :nod: i haven't seen the video, but seriously, i can't get enough of this song. the drums at the top (after the guiter intro) and the chorus are absolutely addicting. great song turned up loud in the car.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread slamming videos! sorry! ;) i can't participate because i never watch videos anymore. i was addicted as a kid in the 80s, but i don't really pay attention anymore. oh, i did LOVE the hung up video... oh. wrong topic again. :o

stevierocks87 03-11-2006 02:13 PM

Don't you pretty much have to wait until 4 or 5 am to see actual music videos on VH1 or MTV? Not that I'm actually in to most new music (except Coldplay ;) ) but it has been SO long since either of those channels actually focused on Music.

I used to LOVE VH1- Concert specials, Behind the Music, Storytellers, etc. They rarely show any of that any more....basically who-knows talking about pointless stuff that they "love" on VH1 and horrible fake "reality" shows on MTV like Date My Mom :rolleyes:

:wavey:Adam:wavey:

Sahara 03-11-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Yep. Call me old-fashioned but I find that stuff horribly, horribly degrading. What kind of message are these people sending out? :shrug:

DavidMn 03-11-2006 04:19 PM

Hmm, probably most any rap video, although some of Eminem's are pretty funny.

estranged4life 03-11-2006 04:32 PM

Easy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara
What kind of message are these people sending out? :shrug:

that American musical artists/entertainers are simple minded people/assclowns who lust more for excess, greed & sex than making a memorable statement via video.

F**K EmptyVee...and VH1 for that matter

Sorcerer386 03-11-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
One recent video that I LOVE though is Pink's "Stupid Girls." :laugh:

Pink hit the nail right on the head with that video, and song for that matter. I love the dialogue break when she goes in the bathroom next to the girl gagging herself, then she proceeds to gag herself, and when it doesn't work the first time she says that garbled "No..." Very funny!

And yes, basically to catch videos these days, you have to watch between about 2 or 3AM to 10 or 11AM, and that's it. The thing that annoys me is after Sept. 11th happened, they played videos almost nonstop. But rapidly they started filling their schedule again with shows and it's back to how it was before. So what do we need? Do we need another Sept. 11th for them to play videos more often? :rolleyes:

Red 03-11-2006 08:28 PM

Ew, I hate Tool videos too, especially Sober and Schism. They freak the sh*t outta me. What is WRONG with those guys?

I know a lot of people like it, but I hate the Mr. Brightside video by the Killers. I think its totally lame.

As far as great videos, I love Freedom by George Michael and Just by Radiohead. What the hell does he say at the end? Gaaahhhhhh!