The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The hardest thing right now (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59756)

BigAl84 12-02-2022 09:34 AM

The hardest thing right now

After 2018/2019 I thought I had put to bed and dealt with the fact that the original 5 would most likely never perform again. The passing of Christine really makes that final. I was introduced to the band in 1997. My first love with the band wasn't the Rumours album, it was their live performances. I don't lament a final album with all 5, but the realization that they'll never hit the stage as a complete unit is a gut punch.

I also don't want to see Lindsey and Stevie go to the end with bitterness between them. How great is it that Christine and John were able to be friends and put the past behind them, seemingly decades ago. I love this passage from a recent Rolling Stone article about Christine:

Some of the best moments in Fleetwood Mac’s final tours, reuniting all five of the classic lineup, came during the Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham solo showcases. Every night, Christine would sit next to John on the piano bench, out of sight from most of the audience, just the two of them whispering and giggling together. They always huddled like two old friends, just sharing a private laugh. It was such a touching sight — so sweet and civilized, in the middle of all that emotional sturm und drang. She brought that warmth out in people. Even these people.

When it comes down to Lindsey and Stevie, it's so sad to see their animosity baked into their public persona, like an expectation of their coexistence. Time is so finite at this point in their lives. Knowing their animosity will be part of their epitaph is an incredibly hard pill to swallow. When the time comes, we probably won't see passages like the one written above in the context of Lindsey and Stevie.

Villavic 12-02-2022 09:51 AM

Many people said they would be upset or disappointed if S&L became friends again and/or perform together. Yes, it is true that a lot of blood has flowed in the river, as we said in spanish where a lot of serious, hard fights have happened.

But when I find those clash of teams, or of people (and at job it's not unusual to find), I always remind them how historic, (more than severe) wounds have been healed (for example Pearl Harbor + Hiroshima-Nagasaki, and few years later those nations became friends, and allies in many ways), and in the big picture it was good they got over it.

So yes, I agree if at the end that bitterness between them has already gone, and they sincerely said All this bitchin' and moanin' pitchin' a fit, get over it, get over it, and close the episodes.

HomerMcvie 12-02-2022 09:55 AM

It's $tevie's world, and we're just living in it.

Lindsey is NEVER going to subscribe to that notion, and $tevie will accept nothing less.

BigAl84 12-02-2022 09:55 AM

I'd be upset if they "faked it" just to do another tour. I think everyone is well over the lovey-dovey tours followed up by bitterness, like clockwork.

This post isn't about wanting them to perform together again. It's about not going to grave engulfed in 50 years of baggage.

jbrownsjr 12-02-2022 10:09 AM

Ok here goes. (A little anger here.)

I honestly don't give a crap about their relationship. And I say this because "it is what it is". And Christine's death just may be the thing that does it. She just may, once again, bring them together.

But the truth is, they created that legacy, they created that destructive drama, they wrote this nasty story. The last years of them stabbing each other in the media was really truly who they were/are. I felt like calling them and telling both of them to just shut up already. We get it, you hate each other.

And Christine wrote her story, and I'm glad it's being told in proper. Everything I've seen has pretty much been "on point". So again, I really don't give a crap about B/N legacy or their entitled media relationship. I couldn't be more completely turned off by their behavior. What I do love is both of their tributes to Christine. They finally got something right in the realm of "being human".

BigAl84 12-02-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1279553)

I honestly don't give a crap about their relationship. And I say this because "it is what it is". And Christine's death just may be the thing that does it. She just may, once again, bring them together.

But the truth is, they created that legacy, they created that destructive drama, they wrote this nasty story. The last years of them stabbing each other in the media was really truly who they were/are. I felt like calling them and telling both of them to just shut up already. We get it, you hate each other.

And Christine wrote her story, and I'm glad it's being told in proper. Everything I've seen has pretty much been "on point". So again, I really don't give a crap about B/N legacy or their entitled media relationship. I couldn't be more completely turned off by their behavior. What I do love is both of their tributes to Christine. They finally got something right in the realm of "being human".

I don't disagree with anything you've written. I guess I just have a side of sadness that hits me, that goes along with it.

The tributes to Christine have been beautiful.

jbrownsjr 12-02-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1279554)
I don't disagree with anything you've written. I guess I just have a side of sadness that hits me, that goes along with it.

The tributes to Christine have been beautiful.

I love ya, BigAl... none of that was directed at you. I'm going thru the stages of grief... I think I'm going thru all of them every day. :lol:

BigAl84 12-02-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1279556)
I love ya, BigAl... none of that was directed at you. I'm going thru the stages of grief... I think I'm going thru all of them every day. :lol:

Oh gosh, I know it wasn't directed at me. It's really f•cked up being a fan of this band in a close way. We're like parents that want better for their kids, but the kids are grown and responsible for their own actions. There's only so much we can do, but it doesn't always ease the pain no matter how much we write it off.

To bring it back to Christine, the only real adult in the equation has left the building and that's really, really tough.

Hugs to you!

aleuzzi 12-02-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1279553)

Amen, brother! They highjacked the band narrative for so long but I will NOT let their **** take an ounce of space away from Christine’s memory. I am heartened to see so many musicians and fans recognizing her full worth. There have been a couple of moments where journalists got it wrong (the “Don’t Stop” “Co-write” mentioned in BILLBOARD; one passive aggressive writer who said Christine’s songs never reached the chart heights of Buckingham or Nicks—which is bs, outside of “Dreams”) but overall people “know the score.”

She was everything, a quiet center that kept it all together for so long. She was also a genuine person, without pretentiousness or a need for constant attention. Because of this, she has always had mine...

elle 12-02-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1279561)
Amen, brother! They highjacked the band narrative for so long but I will NOT let their **** take an ounce of space away from Christine’s memory. I am heartened to see so many musicians and fans recognizing her full worth. .

hear hear! :nod::thumbsup:

it's been beautiful to see and read, and so well deserved.

BigAl84 12-02-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1279561)
Amen, brother! They highjacked the band narrative for so long but I will NOT let their **** take an ounce of space away from Christine’s memory. I am heartened to see so many musicians and fans recognizing her full worth. There have been a couple of moments where journalists got it wrong (the “Don’t Stop” “Co-write” mentioned in BILLBOARD; one passive aggressive writer who said Christine’s songs never reached the chart heights of Buckingham or Nicks—which is bs, outside of “Dreams”) but overall people “know the score.”

She was everything, a quiet center that kept it all together for so long. She was also a genuine person, without pretentiousness or a need for constant attention. Because of this, she has always had mine...

I love this Aleuzzi!!

Penguin Emeritus 12-02-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1279547)
After 2018/2019 I thought I had put to bed and dealt with the fact that the original 5 would most likely never perform again. The passing of Christine really makes that final. I was introduced to the band in 1997. My first love with the band wasn't the Rumours album, it was their live performances. I don't lament a final album with all 5, but the realization that they'll never hit the stage as a complete unit is a gut punch.

I also don't want to see Lindsey and Stevie go to the end with bitterness between them. How great is it that Christine and John were able to be friends and put the past behind them, seemingly decades ago. I love this passage from a recent Rolling Stone article about Christine:

Some of the best moments in Fleetwood Mac’s final tours, reuniting all five of the classic lineup, came during the Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham solo showcases. Every night, Christine would sit next to John on the piano bench, out of sight from most of the audience, just the two of them whispering and giggling together. They always huddled like two old friends, just sharing a private laugh. It was such a touching sight — so sweet and civilized, in the middle of all that emotional sturm und drang. She brought that warmth out in people. Even these people. .

Thank you for posting that. Very moving and a testament to their beautiful relationship.

elle 12-02-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1279547)
Some of the best moments in Fleetwood Mac’s final tours, reuniting all five of the classic lineup, came during the Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham solo showcases. Every night, Christine would sit next to John on the piano bench, out of sight from most of the audience, just the two of them whispering and giggling together. They always huddled like two old friends, just sharing a private laugh. It was such a touching sight — so sweet and civilized, in the middle of all that emotional sturm und drang. She brought that warmth out in people. Even these people..

i was able to happily capture some of that Christine-John sitting on the amp interaction in DC

Macfan4life 12-02-2022 12:47 PM

The Mac has been a dead band for awhile. The band itself does not make new music but did regroup to play the hits for cash grab tours. Since this thread is related to Chris, can we not honor her blunt honesty and admission that Fleetwood Mac was over. She said this years ago. She told the truth and Mick forced her to back track. After what Stevie did to the band I think she is smart enough to know she could never go back now that Chris is gone. She would not play with Lindey and Chris but will play without Chris? I dont think so. Stevie was hesitant to tour with the band without Chris in 2003. John is pretty much retired too. Will Lindsey play somewhere with Mick someday? I would probably guess yes. That may happen. I think one reason Chris went for it when Lindsey was fired was because she acknowledged this is probably the last time she could do this.

BigAl
There was a funny thread many years ago speculating what John and Chris chatted about on the amps during Stevie's LONG Gypsy intro. I would watch them every night and wish I could hear their conversation instead of Stevie's.

We cant be bitter. Its a miracle these past 9 years what she has done. We all got to reconnect with her and she touched us once again. We got monster sold out arenas and small intimate theaters plus a duet album with Lindsey and a reissue of solo songs CD. When I heard Songbird play in 2014, I sat there in awe because I never thought I would hear that song again live. I did and I am so thankful.
The bitterness hides the brilliance. Imagine for a moment she wanted to come back but could not get over her fear or she did not want to impose on the band since they carried on without her. Her passing would still be tough but because she has done so much these past 9 years does make it more difficult to accept. A woman in her 70s rejoining a rock band and doing what she did these past 9 years is nothing short of spectacular.

UnwindedDreams 12-02-2022 12:56 PM

The reason why there will never be communication with Stevie and Lindsey is because Stevie's team and allies such as Brad Jeffries and Vanessa Carlton have spoken of Lindsey like he should be in a penitentiary.
But then you have Chris and Mick who at most said something like it's happier and without tense anymore on the last FM tour.

I don't accept Stevie has made peace by not talking to him anymore because she always mentions his name. But she doesn't mention key players in her story like Rick Nowels, Tom Moncrieff, or Jimmy Iovine (other than Stop Draggin' My Heart Around).

BigAl, I think Chris' email to Lindsey after the suit settled should give you some warmth and know that when the time came, Christine had nothing but love for all of her bandmates, including Lindsey.