The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine Nuggets (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56137)

michelej1 06-10-2016 08:12 PM

Christine Nuggets

Pop Matters, June 10, 2016 Band of Horses Review

http://www.popmatters.com/post/band-...-going-steady/

By Pryor Stroud: Filled with dappled light, rustic-pop daydreaming, and winsome notebook-poetry like the best Band of Horses tracks, “Whatever, Wherever” is a stripped-down acoustic paean to the selflessness of love. Ben Bridwell’s voice, a cloying yet delicately measured breeze-substance, flits effortlessly and nonchalantly over the casual guitar strumming in the background. He seems to be staring off into space as he sings. A mirage of his lover slowly dissipates before him—she’s there long enough to spellbind his attention, but gone before he can get his fill. “Whatever you want / Wherever you are”, he sings in the chorus, declaring his total loyalty to this absent lover, but he might as well be singing the unimpeachable pop-adage from Fleetwood Mac’s “Everywhere”, another simple but melodically-potent composition: “I want to be with you everywhere”, the chorus resounds, and you can hear Christine McVie’s voice drawing from the exact same reservoir of breath and inexhaustible longing that “Whatever, Wherever” emerges from. [7/10]

Macfan4life 06-14-2016 07:10 AM

Thanks for starting the Nuggets thread.

Last week I heard "Love will show us how" on the radio. Sirius-Xm 80's channel.
I have not heard it on the radio since the 80's. It sounded SO GOOD. Its such a great lost 80's song.
I cranked it up and sung along.

macpai 06-15-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1186040)
Thanks for starting the Nuggets thread.

Last week I heard "Love will show us how" on the radio. Sirius-Xm 80's channel.
I have not heard it on the radio since the 80's. It sounded SO GOOD. Its such a great lost 80's song.
I cranked it up and sung along.

Love that one! Remember the video? One of my favorites.

Macfan4life 06-16-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macpai (Post 1186151)
Love that one! Remember the video? One of my favorites.

Oh yes. Its one of the best videos of the 80's in making fun of the making a video process. Its a hint at her tremendous sense of humor. I also love that the one time Stevie is asked about Christine's solo career (1985 interview) she mentions this video and the guitar burning on her piano.
It sounded so good on the radio. The song has some good chops.

Macfan4life 06-17-2016 07:39 AM

Awhile ago I posted my dream I have once a year about a solo Christine McVie concert. Its new but its also a flashback to the actual concert. Last night I had the dream again. Its such a great dream and this time I was on stage with her before she introduced Hold Me.
As usual in the dream (as I was in 1984), I am fretting at how few people are at the concert. This time there was much more and I was happy.

michelej1 06-28-2016 12:11 AM

Did you guys see that there will be acoustic versions of Think About Me and Hold Me on Lindsey's episode of the Showtime series, Roadies? Michele

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...7&postcount=17

~*BellaDonna*~ 07-04-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1186809)
Did you guys see that there will be acoustic versions of Think About Me and Hold Me on Lindsey's episode of the Showtime series, Roadies? Michele

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...7&postcount=17

Really? That is awesome news!

michelej1 12-04-2016 12:31 AM

[A baseball blog recommends Just Crazy Love] Cincinatti.com

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...-121/94725610/

TUNE O’ THE DAY. . . Another little-played gem from the PDOC golden oldie cassette collection. I will take Christine McVie over Stevie Nicks, artistically and aesthetically, all day long.

michelej1 12-04-2016 12:46 AM

[ The New York Times on solving a crossword puzzle] By DEB AMLEN DEC. 2, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/cr...-you.html?_r=0

If you are into music, you probably know John and Christine MCVIE of Fleetwood Mac at 1D. Drop that in. That gives you the M for 1A’s “True Artisan.”

The only answer I know of that has five letters for “___ you coming?” (2D) is AREN’T. Into the grid it goes.

SisterNightroad 12-05-2016 06:42 AM

GO YOUR OWN WAY, Based on Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie, Set to Tour Australia

Award-winning artist Catherine Alcorn will kick off her national tour of the critically acclaimed stage show Go Your Own Way based on the life of one of rock's most fiercely private and intriguing figures, Christine McVie, in January 2017 - which also marks the 40th Anniversary of their most famous album, RUMOURS.

Christine McVie was the girl who started out as a school teacher, picked up a bass guitar and began to sing the blues. Then she joined Fleetwood Mac and made rock history.

Commissioned by Kate Ceberano for the Adelaide Cabaret Festival, Go Your Own Way is the story of great music and the tempestuous life of Christine McVie.

In a career that so far spans four decades, the enigmatic McVie is brought to life in this play-with-music by Alcorn who brings her own magic to some of the most memorable songs of the 20th century including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don't Stop and Songbird.

Featuring Dirty Dancing's Kirby Burgess (Baby) as Stevie Nicks, Go Your Own Way explores Christine's contrary attitude to global fame, ridiculous wealth, love and loss, personal privacy, songwriting.

Starring Catherine Alcorn
Written by Diana Simmonds
Directed by Jason Langley (Dusty)
Musically Directed by Isaac Hayward (The Rabbits)
Featuring Kirby Burgess (Baby in Dirty Dancing)

For media enquiries contact Ian Phipps - IP Publicity - ian@ippublicity.com.au or 0419 977 649

TOUR DATES (more to be announced)

20 JAN The Joan Sutherland Penrith NSW

24 FEB Mackay Entertainment Centre Mackay QLD

5 MAR SunPac Sunnybank QLD

11 MAR Lake Kawana Community Centre, Bokarina QLD

1 APR Araluen Arts Centre Alice Springs NT

11 MAY Cessnock Performing Arts Centre Cessnock NSW

12 MAY Manning Entertainment Centre Taree NSW

13 MAY GLASSHOUSE Port Macquarie NSW

29 JUNE The Q Queanbeyan ACT

20 SEPT Jetty Memorial Theatre Coffs Harbour NSW

22 SEPT Capitol Theatre Tamworth NSW

13 OCT Redland Ents Centre Cleveland QLD

14 OCT Logan Ent Centre Logan QLD

26 OCT Riverina Playhouse Wagga Wagga NSW

27 OCT Riverina Playhouse Wagga Wagga NSW

http://www.broadwayworld.com/austral...alia-20161204#

jbrownsjr 12-07-2016 11:57 AM

thanks for posting!

SisterNightroad 04-19-2017 09:47 AM

Curtain Call | Life of Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac coming to Taree's Manning Entertainment Centre stage

“Go Your Own Way” draws in Fleetwood Mac fans

Award-winning artist and Sydney Theatre Award nominee Catherine Alcorn will bring her critically acclaimed stage show Go Your Own Way based on the life of one of rock’s most fiercely private and intriguing figures, Christine McVie, to Taree’s Manning Entertainment Centre on Friday May 12, 2017.

This year also marks the 40th anniversary of their most famous album, RUMOURS.

Commissioned by Kate Ceberano for the Adelaide Cabaret Festival, Go Your Own Way is the story of great music and the tempestuous life of Christine McVie.

Christine McVie was the girl who started out as a school teacher, picked up a bass guitar and began to sing the blues. Then she joined Fleetwood Mac and made rock history.

No stranger to NSW audiences, Alcorn, who is more famously known for her portrayal as The Di-vine Miss Bette, which broke box office records all across Australia on her 2016 tour, is excited to be making her Taree debut this year.

“I’m thrilled to be playing the Manning Entertainment Centre for the first time. As a young girl, my family and I holidayed in Old Bar for a number of years. I love the area as it holds very fond memories for me. I’m particularly excited to be bringing them Christine McVie’s story. Her music is the heart and soul of this beautifully crafted piece. It will be a nostalgic evening for many.”

In a career that so far spans four decades, the enigmatic McVie is brought to life in this play-with-music by Alcorn who brings her own magic to some of the most memorable songs of the 20th century including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don’t Stop and Songbird.

Featuring an all-star band including American Idiot’s Glenn Moorhouse (musical director), Go Your Own Way explores Christine’s contrary attitude to global fame, ridiculous wealth, love and loss, personal privacy, songwriting.

http://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/...ife-and-music/

24karatstevie 04-19-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1207499)
Curtain Call | Life of Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac coming to Taree's Manning Entertainment Centre stage

“Go Your Own Way” draws in Fleetwood Mac fans

Award-winning artist and Sydney Theatre Award nominee Catherine Alcorn will bring her critically acclaimed stage show Go Your Own Way based on the life of one of rock’s most fiercely private and intriguing figures, Christine McVie, to Taree’s Manning Entertainment Centre on Friday May 12, 2017.

This year also marks the 40th anniversary of their most famous album, RUMOURS.

No stranger to NSW audiences, Alcorn, who is more famously known for her portrayal as The Di-vine Miss Bette, which broke box office records all across Australia on her 2016 tour, is excited to be making her Taree debut this year.

“I’m thrilled to be playing the Manning Entertainment Centre for the first time. As a young girl, my family and I holidayed in Old Bar for a number of years. I love the area as it holds very fond memories for me. I’m particularly excited to be bringing them Christine McVie’s story. Her music is the heart and soul of this beautifully crafted piece. It will be a nostalgic evening for many.”

In a career that so far spans four decades, the enigmatic McVie is brought to life in this play-with-music by Alcorn who brings her own magic to some of the most memorable songs of the 20th century including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don’t Stop and Songbird.

Featuring an all-star band including American Idiot’s Glenn Moorhouse (musical director), Go Your Own Way explores Christine’s contrary attitude to global fame, ridiculous wealth, love and loss, personal privacy, songwriting.

http://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/...ife-and-music/

Sounds interesting. Neat that it's something all about Christine. She never gets the credit she deserves. I'm a bit confused to why the title isn't one of her songs though. I mean I get that GYOW is probably the most widely recognized Fleetwood Mac song, but I think Don't Stop would work as a title. 

SisterNightroad 04-19-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24karatstevie (Post 1207511)
Sounds interesting. Neat that it's something all about Christine. She never gets the credit she deserves. I'm a bit confused to why the title isn't one of her songs though. I mean I get that GYOW is probably the most widely recognized Fleetwood Mac song, but I think Don't Stop would work as a title. 

Or Songbird.

24karatstevie 04-19-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1207512)
Or Songbird.

Yes definitely Songbird!

jbrownsjr 04-19-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24karatstevie (Post 1207511)

Or "Over My Head" would have been a cool title.

SisterNightroad 05-01-2017 05:41 AM

I tried to embed 4 times for ****'s sake but both Instagram and Tumblr don't want to.

Christine on the new issue of Harper's Bazaar:

http://i.imgur.com/G7oYab1.png

StevieandChris 05-02-2017 09:23 PM

The Harper's Bazaar photo is gorgeous!!!!!!!!

jbrownsjr 05-03-2017 07:53 AM

That is beautiful!

lilyfee 05-06-2017 02:31 PM

This is the most beautiful photo I've seen of Christine yet this year! Gorgeous!

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 07:19 AM

Nice review of the Go Your Own Way stage play

Theatre | Following a songbird | Ken Longworth

IT is appropriate that Catherine Alcorn’s Go Your Own Way, a touring show looking at the life and songs of Fleetwood Mac rock band member Christine McVie, is being staged at Cessnock Performing Arts Centre.

McVie, who was a vocalist, keyboard player and songwriter with Fleetwood Mac from 1970 until 1998, came out of retirement in 2014 to join other legendary members of the band in a global tour that included two sold-out shows at nearby Pokolbin’s Hope Estate in November, 2015.

Ironically, when Alcorn first staged Go Your Own Way at the Adelaide Cabaret Festival in 2013, Christine McVie was repeatedly rejecting offers to return to performing and touring.

Alcorn and the show’s writer, Diana Simmonds, have regularly got together to update it for capital city seasons and tours. What began as a 60-minute cabaret-style show is now a moving 80-minute musical that shows how the things that happened in McVie’s life affected the songs she wrote and performed. Catherine Alcorn is joined in delivering the songs by band members and background vocalists.

Alcorn first showed her talents for putting together and presenting shows about well-known performers with The Divine Miss Bette, in which she stepped into Bette Middler’s shoes. It played to a sold-out audience at Cessnock last year.

Go Your Own Way: A Tribute to Christine McVie can be seen at Cessnock Performing Arts Centre on Thursday, May 11, at 7.30pm. Tickets, $45 to $55, can be bought from the theatre box office, 4993 4266.

The show includes many of Fleetwood Mac’s biggest hits, most of which were written or co-written by McVie. Her songs include Over My Head, Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, Don’t Stop, Little Lies, As Long as You Follow and Songbird. The show’s title number is by Lindsey Buckingham.

In her initial years with Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie was often overshadowed by a more colourful female member, Stevie Nicks, even though many of her songs were among the group’s best-sellers. It was often her relationships that made news stories. Originally a member of the band Chicken Shack, she joined Fleetwood Mac after marrying its bass guitarist John McVie in 1968. The couple divorced in 1976, and she subsequently became engaged to Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, but they broke up before his death. Her second marriage, to keyboardist Eddy Quintella, likewise ended in divorce. It’s hardly surprising that her best-selling songs, including Got a Hold on Me and Love Will Show Us How, reflected what was happening in her life. Now aged 73, she and Lindsey Buckingham have a new album that will be released this year.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/46...ng-a-songbird/

elle 05-07-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1208692)
Christine on the new issue of Harper's Bazaar:

http://i.imgur.com/G7oYab1.png

thanks so much for sharing, glad to see Christine gracing the cover! is there an article that goes with the cover that anyone has access to?

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1209119)
thanks so much for sharing, glad to see Christine gracing the cover! is there an article that goes with the cover that anyone has access to?

Apparently the cover features Kendall Jenner, probably Christine has an interview article in the music section:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/3a2b9a30...qlsdo1_500.jpg

However I couldn't find anything, I guess we have to wait.

elle 05-07-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209122)
Apparently the cover features Kendall Jenner, probably Christine has an interview article in the music section:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/3a2b9a30...qlsdo1_500.jpg

However I couldn't find anything, I guess we have to wait.

thanks! it's weird, i couldn't find that instagram post anymore on @johnrussophoto.

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1209123)
thanks! it's weird, i couldn't find that instagram post anymore on @johnrussophoto.

That's strange, I also can't see it anymore, I think it may have been canceled or delayed?!

However trying to research I saw that further back John Russo has the picture of the cover for the Buckingham McVie album for which he was the photographer, and the clothes that Christine wears above look pretty similar to those she wore for some of the other pictures for that same shoot, so it's likely they're from the same photography session.
It's possible that Harper's Bazaar just wanted them for an upcoming article or interview meant for the May issue but that for some reason couldn't be included at last (Christine canceled or postponed an interview? An article wasn't ready for the deadline for the May release?).

Elliefw 05-07-2017 05:59 PM

I read it. It's a tiny article (literally a couple of sentences) nothing about the album. It just states that her flat in London has a garden on the terrace and that Stevie used to call her mother earth. It's in a gardening segment

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliefw (Post 1209151)
I read it. It's a tiny article (literally a couple of sentences) nothing about the album. It just states that her flat in London has a garden on the terrace and that Stevie used to call her mother earth.

Thanks. Who knows then why the Instagram post was deleted.
Quote:

It's in a gardening segment
What the?

SisterNightroad 05-23-2017 03:24 PM

THIS DAY IN 2014: CHRISTINE MCVIE IS AWARDED THE NOVELLO LIFETIME AWARD

Three years ago today, Christine McVie was the recipient of one of the most prestigious awards in the British music industry: the Ivor Novello Lifetime Achievement Award.

When you consider how many hits McVie brought to the table as a member of Fleetwood Mac, it’s no wonder that she was honored in such a fashion. Indeed, with tracks like “Don’t Stop,” “Everywhere,” “Hold Me,” “Little Lies,” “Over My Head,” and “Say You Love Me” to her credit, it’s hard to imagine anyone looking at her name on the list of recipients and thinking, “Oh, I don’t know if this is really necessary.” In truth, the award was nothing short of a must. Taking the stage to claim her award, McVie offered her gratitude, of course, but at the time she also assured the assembled crowd that Fleetwood Mac was in the process of making another studio album, one which she reckoned would be out the following year.

As it happens, McVie was being a bit optimistic – here we are in 2017, and there’s still no new Fleetwood Mac album – but we’re only a few short weeks away from finally seeing a portion of that promise come to fruition: June 9 will see the arrival of the first ever album by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie as a duo.

http://www.rhino.com/article/this-da...lifetime-award

jbrownsjr 06-05-2017 11:26 AM

I remember this. She was starting to make the press starting in 2013.

elle 07-16-2017 01:24 PM

Haim and Christine's influence

https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/...-retro-cheese/

HAIM’S SECOND ALBUM REVELS IN ITS RETRO CHEESE

Josh BellThu, Jul 13, 2017 (midnight)
Three and a half stars

Haim Something to Tell You

Haim’s second album might be titled Something to Tell You, but its breezy lyrical content (heartbreak, romance, romantic heartbreak) doesn’t exactly have a ton to say. That’s perfectly fitting, though, especially in an era when even the most frivolous pop stars seem determined to make (often misguided) political statements. By unironically embracing the lush sounds of ’80s soft-rock and ’90s adult contemporary, the sisters Haim (Este, Danielle, Alana) have succeeded at making the uncool cool, and Something revels in its retro cheesiness.

But that’s what makes it such a fun listen: “Nothing’s Wrong” and “You Never Knew” sound more like ’80s-era Christine McVie-led Fleetwood Mac songs than McVie’s own recent album with Lindsey Buckingham; “Ready for You” has a soulful George Michael vibe with soaring harmonies and an anthemic chorus; the strings-driven “Found It in Silence” has a slight country-pop twang; “Kept Me Crying” shows off Danielle’s old-school guitar chops; and ethereal, minimalist album closer “Night So Long” evokes ’90s Sarah McLachlan. Through it all, the sisters balance their sharp musicianship with slick production and catchy hooks (although nothing’s quite as catchy as breakout hit “The Wire”). It’s a lovely, blissed-out pop throwback.

SisterNightroad 08-07-2017 05:25 AM

Carter Alan’s Rock N’ Roll Diary: August 7 in Classic Rock History

Tom Petty played the Boston Garden on this night in 1981. He did 3 encores that night! The first one began with an old Isley Brothers tune – which one?

ANSWER: “Shout” (you may also know the Otis Day & the Nights version)
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 7th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!

1970: Fleetwood Mac welcomed its first female member: Christine McVie, wife of Mac bassist, John McVie. Prior to joining the group she recorded solo under her maiden name, Christine Perfect.
1974: Peter Wolf married Faye Dunaway. The two later divorced.
1979: A crazed Marshall Tucker Band fan in California stole a car from the parking lot outside the Long Beach Arena and drove right into the building, smashing down two banks of metal doors and one concrete wall in the process.
1987: A Fleetwood Mac band meeting turned ugly when guitarist Lindsey Buckingham announced plans to strike out on his own and then resigned from the band.
2002: Ozzy Osbourne rejoined Ozz-Fest in Clarkston, Michigan after taking a few weeks off from the tour to be by wife Sharon’s side as she began chemotherapy treatment for colon cancer. That therapy was successful in forcing Sharon’s cancer into remission.
In the WZLX ticket stash…

1981: Tom Petty played the Boston Garden.

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2017/08/07/...ock-history-3/

SisterNightroad 08-08-2017 07:33 AM

Carter Alan’s Rock N’ Roll Diary: August 8 in Classic Rock History

Happy birthday to The Edge! The guitarist of U2 was the first member of the band to release a solo project (a soundtrack). What was the movie?

ANSWER: “Captive” in 1986

What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 8th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!

1969: At 10am traffic was stopped on the street out in front of Abbey Road Studios so a photographer could snap the picture of the four Beatles which appears on the front of the Abbey Road album.
1970: Janis Joplin bought a headstone for the grave of Blues great Bessie Smith who died and was buried in Philadelphia in 1937.
1970: Christine McVie performed for the first time as an official member of Fleetwood Mac at a show in New Orleans.
1974: Eric Clapton’s 461 Ocean Boulevard album went gold.
1987: The U2 single “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” reached #1 in the States.
1992: A riot broke out during a Guns N’ Roses and Metallica show at Montreal Stadium, when Metallica’s set was cut short after James Hetfield was injured by pyrotechnics. Then, later the Guns N’ Roses set was also cut short because Axl Rose complained his throat hurt. The crowd overturned cars, smashed windows, set fires, and looted stores.

Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
1976: Peter Frampton played the Cape Cod Coliseum.
1990: It was Santana and Steel Pulse at Great Woods.
1997: Neil Young led the H.O.R.D.E. tour into Great Woods for the first of two nights.

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2017/08/08/...ock-history-3/

FuzzyPlum 10-11-2017 02:58 PM

Cool t-shirt
https://rotterandfriends.merchtable....e#.Wd53b1tSyUk

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dev1.mtimg....ll/mcviebr.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-txzkITqJaW...0/perfect.jpeg

'A toast to one of the best female songwriters of the 70's and 80's, Christine Mcvie. Besides the massive catalogue of greatness from her work in Fleetwood Mac, we pay homage to her solo album "The Legendary Christine Perfect"-a magical must'.

SisterNightroad 02-09-2018 04:04 PM

New £1.7m lifeline for 'at risk' Birmingham building
Former Moseley School of Art will be restored to create a vibrant new community hub and business centre

A listed building considered 'at risk' for the past 20 years has been handed a £1.7 million lifeline which will see it transformed into a community centre and business hub.

The former Moseley School of Art, in Balsall Heath, opened in 1901 and was run as an art school for 76 years, counting Pop Art co-founder Peter Phillips, UB40 singer Ali Campbell and Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie among its alumni.

Now known as Moseley Community Centre, the decaying grade II*-listed building will undergo a life-saving makeover courtesy of the £1.7 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The fund initially awarded a development grant of £154,000 so its owner the Moseley Muslim Community Association could draw up detailed plans to save the prominent Victorian building and make sure it could offer up-to-date facilities.

And now this latest injection of capital will enable the association to carry out a full refurbishment, including a ground floor gallery to exhibit work by local artists and a permanent display charting the history of the building and some of its former pupils.

Flexible space on the first floor will provide office accommodation for local small businesses alongside hot desking facilities.

An existing first floor classroom will continue to be used for teaching but it will be upgraded so it can host seminars and public meetings.

The Arts and Crafts-style building, in Moseley Road, was the first purpose-built art school in the country, having been created as a branch of the Birmingham School of Art.

It was built in the 'Wrenaissance' style from designs by Birmingham architect WH Bidlake who was also a director of the Birmingham School of Art and the man behind several churches across the city.

Campaign body Historic England has placed the building on its 'Heritage At Risk' register for the past 20 years and it has only been able to host activities because of the efforts of the Moseley Muslim Community Association to keep the doors open and carry out repairs.

The Pilgrim Trust has also granted £30,000 towards the project.

Vanessa Harbar, head of Heritage Lottery Fund for the West Midlands, said: "We are delighted to support this project to restore the former Moseley School of Art, helping to secure its future as a creative hub for the community.

"Thanks to money raised by National Lottery players, this project will mean that more people will be able to get involved with, protect, and learn about the exciting heritage right on their doorstep."

Campaign body Historic England has already provided £243,000 to enable urgent repairs to the building and on its historic façade.

Its heritage at risk architect Cristina Gardiner said: "Repairing this beautiful and important Birmingham building and securing its future will provide the community with a real asset for future generations.

"We hope it will spur the regeneration of the surrounding area too."

Javed Arain, on behalf of the Moseley Muslim Community Association, said: "We are delighted that we have received the grant from HLF and Historic England for the restoration and refurbishment of this important building.

"This will help us to create a hub to meet the diverse needs of the local community and we hope that the success of this project will be a catalyst for the rejuvenation of the local area."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...-risk-14265520

SisterNightroad 08-11-2018 06:11 AM

7 August 1970: singer Christine McVie joins Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac is an Anglo-American rock band, which has enjoyed great success all over the world, selling more than 100 million albums. In 1998 they were introduced into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The group takes its first steps in England in the second half of the sixties as a British blues group. Born when drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie and guitarist Peter Green leave John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and join guitarist Jeremy Spencer. The name Fleetwood Mac is coined by Peter Green, merging the surnames of bassist John and drummer Mick.
The first works focus on a typically British-style blues rock; among the most significant pieces of the period stand out Man of the World, Albatross and Black Magic Woman, the latter brought to success two years later by Carlos Santana. It is very important the producer Mike Vernon who with his record company Blue Horizon let the Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac record the first albums, Fleetwood Mac and Mr. Wonderful of 1968, and the third Then Play On of 1969, where you can foresee the sounds that will characterize the group in the years to come.
In 1969 Peter Green left the group and began a succession of new musicians, including Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, Bob Weston and especially Christine McVie, already present in Kiln House, even if not accredited, which enters the band on August 7 1970.
Albums like Future Games in 1971, Bare Trees in 1972, Penguin in 1973, Mystery to Me in 1973 and Heroes Are Hard to Find in 1974 did not receive the hoped commercial success.
The breakthrough came in 1975, when, once again without a guitarist, Mick Fleetwood asked a young American musician, Lindsey Buckingham, to join the group. He, at the time, played in a duo with then-partner Stevie Nicks; the two had also published, with little success, the album Buckingham-Nicks, which contained material resumed after by Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham poses as a condition that Stevie also enters the group. Fleetwood Mac accept and the result is the 1975 eponymous album Fleetwood Mac.
The album is a great success, thanks also to the singles Over My Head, Rhiannon and Say You Love Me. In particular these songs bring out the artistic talent of the two new entries in the group. Fleetwood Mac thus inaugurate a new phase, no longer characterized by the blues-rock of the late 60s, but by what was usually called "mainstream Rock", that is halfway between hard and very slow music.
The most successful record is the following Rumors (1977) which sells over forty million copies worldwide and which contains, among others, the hits Dreams, (which reached the peak of the American charts), Go Your Own Way, The Chain and Do not Stop. Other albums that have great popularity are 1979 Tusk, 1982 Mirage and especially 1987 Tango in the Night, the latter containing the famous singles Big Love, Seven Wonders and Little Lies.
In 1987 Buckingham left the group even if, curiously, he participated as a guest on the following two albums playing the acoustic guitar in the title track Behind the Mask and singing as an added voice in Time's Nothing Without You.
Many musicians, including guitarists and singers Billy Burnette, Rick Vito and Dave Mason and singer Bekka Bramlett, take turns in the group. The formation with Vito and Burnette produces an album, Behind the Mask (1990), while Time (1995) sees the entry of Mason and Bramlett in place of Rick Vito and Stevie Nicks. The return of Lindsey Buckingham takes place in 1997, with the live album The Dance, which participates in the same successful formation of the years from Rumors to Tango in the Night. In 1998, Christine McVie, one of the group's main members since 1970, leaves training, leaving the core of the Fleetwood Mac comprised of Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.
The Fleetwood Mac sink their artistic roots in the British blues school of John Mayall and have gone through several stylistic moments, in a metamorphosis that from the formation of English blues saw them change physiognomy and reach for various stages to group of pop music of great commercial success . This musical journey went through different styles often in conjunction with the change of members of the lineup. The protagonist of the first steps was guitarist Peter Green, coming from the Bluesbreakers, who with his electric guitar gave the group a blues rock imprint.
Their trip to Chicago was essential for their maturation, where they had the opportunity to play jam together with Willie Dixon and Otis Spann, and to perform in concert alongside Led Zeppelin and legendary figures such as B.B. King and Chuck Berry. The abandonment of Peter Green corresponded to the steering to lighter sounds of soul pop type. With his entry into the lineup, Lindsey Buckingham provoked the sharpest turning point: he picked up the different forms of pop that preceded him by mixing it with his current styles - the new wave of punk and gothic rock, technological rock and roots rock, obtaining Rumors, a sophisticated consumer product, and continuing to move more and more in the direction of pop with some deviations in the hit parade sound.
The Fleetwood Mac sink their artistic roots in the British blues school of John Mayall and have gone through several stylistic moments, in a metamorphosis that from the formation of English blues saw them change physiognomy and reach for various stages to group of pop music of great commercial success .
This musical journey went through different styles often in conjunction with the change of members of the lineup. The protagonist of the first steps was guitarist Peter Green, coming from the Bluesbreakers, who with his electric guitar gave the group a blues rock imprint. Their trip to Chicago was essential for their maturation, where they had the opportunity to play jam together with Willie Dixon and Otis Spann, and to perform in concert alongside Led Zeppelin and legendary figures such as B.B. King and Chuck Berry.
The abandonment of Peter Green corresponded to the steering to lighter sounds of soul pop type. With his entry into the lineup, Lindsey Buckingham provoked the sharpest turning point: he picked up the different forms of pop that preceded him by mixing it with his current styles - the new wave of punk and gothic rock, technological rock and roots rock, obtaining Rumors, a sophisticated consumer product, and continuing to move more and more in the direction of pop with some deviations in the hit parade sound.

Article translated by me, source here: http://www.ondamusicale.it/index.php...-fleetwood-mac

SisterNightroad 05-21-2019 10:06 AM

https://i.imgur.com/gvdExzV.png

https://i.imgur.com/3xmCCbQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/GisO5Lp.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZIqnjEf.png

michelej1 05-21-2019 11:33 AM

Well, that BBC program is definitely something to look forward to.

FuzzyPlum 05-21-2019 11:58 PM

Wow, this is really exciting news. I wonder who else they interviewed. You've got to imagine, if they are going to go all the way over to Richards house for an interview, this will be extensive and involve a wide range of people. Cant wait.
:thumbsup:

aleuzzi 05-22-2019 04:17 PM

This is awesome! I hope they have early footage, too. Earlier than the 1968 video of Chicken Shack performing "See See Baby" on French television.

aleuzzi 06-13-2019 10:58 AM

Any news about the Christine documentary? I've googled several times. Nothing.