The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Not to be morbid but… (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44084)

greendaze5 06-19-2010 12:20 PM

Not to be morbid but…

I recently finished watching the excellent HBO series ‘Six Feet Under’ on DVD. For those who don’t know it’s a quirky show about a family who runs a funeral home in Los Angeles.

Anyways, watching the show made me wonder - what songs(s) would I want at my funeral or memorial if I had one?

Off the top of my head: Stevie’s ‘Touched By An Angel’ or ‘Sleeping Angel’ :angel: comes to mind, and Green Day’s ‘Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)’. :wavey:

What would y’all pick?

MissLadyLoki 06-19-2010 12:25 PM

Hmmm...i know it's morbid, but first off, I'd want my funeral to be a celebration of my life, not a mourning of my death. As for songs, I'd probably have In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin, Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks (I read somewhere the white-winged dove bit is to symbolize death), and I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.

GypsySorcerer 06-19-2010 02:02 PM

Storms - Fleetwood Mac
Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
Forever Young - Bob Dylan

Nico 06-19-2010 03:34 PM

In My Life by the Beatles.

Silver Springs 09-16-2010 04:03 PM

Haha. I was just trolling past threads and came across this. I thought I was the only one who had already decided what she wanted for her funeral. I don't want a miserable funeral. I want a fun day. As such I straight out ban black. Anybody wearing black should be issued with a Hawaiian shirt at the door :p Anyhoo, songs :-

* R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People (Sing along version like on Man On The Moon)
* Fleetwood Mac - That's Enough For Me (:p)
* The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

Maybe :-

* Loudon Wainwright III - Heaven

I toyed with the idea of having my favourite song of all time (They Shoot Horses, Don't They by Racing Cars) but that's too depressing lol.

ButterCookie 09-16-2010 04:06 PM

Oh Well part 1 :laugh:

HomerMcvie 09-16-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 910724)
Oh Well part 1 :laugh:

That works for me as well!:blob2:

sara1998 09-16-2010 06:01 PM

Lie in our graves and two step by Dave Matthews.

You should go listen to those RIGHT NOW David!

sara1998 09-16-2010 06:06 PM

And tripping billies!!!

HomerMcvie 09-16-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1998 (Post 910746)
Lie in our graves and two step by Dave Matthews.

You should go listen to those RIGHT NOW David!

You know how much I love Dave Matthews! :mad::mad::mad:

daniellaaarisen 09-16-2010 06:46 PM

"Videotape" - Radiohead
"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
"Beautiful Child" - Fleetwood Mac

I have a list of these on my other computer.... I'll update this later hahaha. Yes, I've thought about this before.... totally morbid!

sara1998 09-16-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 910749)
You know how much I love Dave Matthews! :mad::mad::mad:

:xoxo:

ten!

Zombie 09-17-2010 12:46 AM

No question, no contest - "Lay Me Low" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

The "malanderer, badlander and thief" bit in my sig is from this song, actually. The first time I heard it years ago, I knew it would be the perfect funeral song for me, because it's got the perfect mix of f*ck-all-that-noise-I'm-outta-here and narcissistic omg-you-guys-wasn't-I-freakin-awesome.

I'm not sold on the idea that people need to have an actual funeral for me, because they're expensive and it's not like I'm going to know any better, but I can see folks getting together for a drink, listening to this, and laughing - if you know me even slightly, then you'll laugh when you hear it, too.

Plus, it's just a genius song in general. Nick Cave is my co-pilot.

PS - If people do insist on having a funeral for me, then I must insist that this clip of Gaahl from Gorgoroth in the excellent documentary, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey be played, because it's one of the best 24 seconds that ever happened anywhere:

That will never not be hilarious, even when I'm dead.

HomerMcvie 09-17-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1998 (Post 910762)
:xoxo:

ten!

If I had a big tour bus, I'd dump my Dave Matthews filled septic tank, in some really inappropriate public place. Oh wait, maybe I am Dave Matthews(you know this story, right?)! :lol:

tilthefirefades 09-17-2010 01:11 PM

For sure no black allowed. It would have to be a celebration. But I would want a moment of silence so everyone could suffer through "Fireflies" since they all complain about my obsession. But after that, to get the party started