The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Carol Ann Harris (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43703)

gypsy4life 04-25-2010 10:43 PM

Carol Ann Harris

I have to say this. The more I learn about this woman, the more I think she was just an attention seeking groupie! I mean, she just seems so fake to me.
I have been thinking of reading her book, so, I have been doing a little research before I pay good money for it.
I'm sure some of you have read it. What do you think?

michelej1 04-26-2010 01:46 AM

It's been discussed a lot over the years and here is the thread that has a bulk of the many musings and opinions.

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...t=storms+carol

louielouie2000 04-26-2010 02:44 AM

I've expressed my opinion on Carol Ann (I'll leave out my nickname for her, because some people get offended :cool:) and her book many times. I say regardless of what you think of her, read the book. Realize you must take every single thing she says with a grain of salt. Look more at the big picture. I think overall, she weaves a pretty accurate tapestry of at least the way the band interacted during it's heyday. I wouldn't give any specific events she mentions much credence at all. Despite that, I think this is still a must read for any avid Mac fan. It's pure gossipy trashy fun... and that's what the Mac is all about! :laugh:

Dodfather 04-26-2010 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 886284)
I've expressed my opinion on Carol Ann (I'll leave out my nickname for her, because some people get offended :cool:) and her book many times. I say regardless of what you think of her, read the book. Realize you must take every single thing she says with a grain of salt. Look more at the big picture. I think overall, she weaves a pretty accurate tapestry of at least the way the band interacted during it's heyday. I wouldn't give any specific events she mentions much credence at all. Despite that, I think this is still a must read for any avid Mac fan. It's pure gossipy trashy fun... and that's what the Mac is all about! :laugh:

More like a great big bag of the stuff!

Ahhh yes, it is a gossipy, trashy book! I'd advise reading it, just because it's a Mac book really!

skuncles 04-26-2010 06:55 AM

I found the book to be a great read. I look at this way she either is for the most part telling the truth or she is one hell of a writer. I believe she filled in a lot of blanks. She of course comes off as an angel in the book, so you know she's not telling EVERYTHING. But I thought it was a great read. I recommend this way above and beyond that piece of crap book "Read Between My Lines" which rates as one THE worst bios of Stevie ever published. That book is nothing more than a collection of info from the web (and not very well organized either) not to mention there is tons of inaccurate info in there. As for "Storms" though, despite how accurate it may or may not be, it is a great read.

David 04-26-2010 12:56 PM

I think Carol (or her ghostwriter) created a very phony atmosphere of interrelating among the dramatis personae. Dialog, moods, & emotional reactions as described in the book were no more believable or recognizably human than they are in a nighttime soap opera like "Dynasty."

Carol's book is a play, not a biography -- not even an anecdotal biography.

HomerMcvie 04-26-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuncles (Post 886297)
I found the book to be a great read. I look at this way she either is for the most part telling the truth or she is one hell of a writer. I believe she filled in a lot of blanks. She of course comes off as an angel in the book, so you know she's not telling EVERYTHING. But I thought it was a great read. I recommend this way above and beyond that piece of crap book "Read Between My Lines" which rates as one THE worst bios of Stevie ever published. That book is nothing more than a collection of info from the web (and not very well organized either) not to mention there is tons of inaccurate info in there. As for "Storms" though, despite how accurate it may or may not be, it is a great read.

I agree. I thoroughly enjoy the book, and have read it several times. And although I don't believe she's an angel(much akin to Don Felder's Eagles book), I do believe most of the "anger trash" about Lindsey. I've always believed him of possessing a volatile temper, way before "Storms" came along.

gypsy4life 04-26-2010 09:32 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll probably read it, w/ the grain of salt idea in mind!

louielouie2000 04-27-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsy4life (Post 886448)
Thanks for the input. I'll probably read it, w/ the grain of salt idea in mind!

Please do share your thoughts once you've read the book. The Mac community seems to have wildly differing thoughts on it. I personally enjoy hearing them all. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies: "Truth, like art, is in the eye of the beholder."

ButterCookie 04-27-2010 07:54 AM

Ooh, Momma bought me a copy recently. I just finished Suzi Quatro's book so I'll start Storms tonight :thumbsup:

jbrownsjr 04-27-2010 11:08 AM

Her writing is horrible.. (even if it's a ghostwriter)... It really pained me at the end....

But I found some of what was in the book believable... 1. She was there and it was her story to tell 2. She was not the only person to write about the abusiveness physical or otherwise.

It's about as believable as Mick's book... Did I believe all of it? No.. Did I believe some of it... Yes...

I love Fleetwood Mac's music and respect them as musician's. Having said that, I don't love them or worship them or even think that they these perfect people. I don't want them to be perfect (that's unbelievable).

They built the latter part of their career's on drama and drugs and that's exactly what they got.. So whether all of it's true or not, this book fits right into to what made them extremely rich and famous. It's full of drama.

She's a lot... like.... you....

gypsy4life 04-27-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 886488)
Please do share your thoughts once you've read the book. The Mac community seems to have wildly differing thoughts on it. I personally enjoy hearing them all. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies: "Truth, like art, is in the eye of the beholder."

Absolutely! I just got the confirm from Amazon that it shipped today. I should have it soon.

louielouie2000 04-27-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 886490)
Ooh, Momma bought me a copy recently. I just finished Suzi Quatro's book so I'll start Storms tonight :thumbsup:

You know I wanna hear your thoughts once you're done, too! :D I know you won't filter yourself! ;)

ButterCookie 04-28-2010 03:06 AM

Haah, you'll know my exact thoughts on it :p On the note of FM biographies, Rumours and Lies annoyed me no end. There were bits here and there in which the spelling and grammar was atrocious! I was tearing my hair out :lol: A good read overall, but seriously, sack the editor!

erwk05 04-28-2010 06:45 AM

I actually thought it was a really good read - Im sure for the most part it was true, of course some was probably embellished but any good writer needs to do that!

I didnt put the book down, read it solid over 2 evenings

I enjoyed learning lots of little bits of info that I never knew :)

I brought it on ebay and it was well worth it