The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The worst of Stevie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51279)

tbaker3 01-18-2013 06:57 PM

The worst of Stevie

What is everyone's least favorite Stevie song (solo)? And what is it that you think makes it horrible? Defend your answer and get fiesty! I think Stevie would appreciate the passion ;)

tbaker3 01-18-2013 07:07 PM

I think mine has to be "That Made Me Stronger." I enjoy the vocals just fine, but the lyrics in the chorus just kill it for me. It's like, c'mon Stevie... work on it a little harder, you know you can do better...

Jondalar 01-18-2013 07:12 PM

God, there are so many...

Imperial Hotel
The Nightmare
I will run to you (a tom petty throwaway he would never put on his own albums)
Two Kinds of Love
Blue Denim
Docklands
Doing the Best that I can
Cry Wolf (her vocal is god awful on it and its a great song)
I still miss someone
Fire Burning
Loves A Hard Game to Play
Jane
Love is Like aRiver
Desert Angel
Touched by an Angel
That Made Me Stronger
Too Far From Texas (really good song with a terrible vocal from Stevie)
Love Is (Bland as hell)
Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (nice song with another horrible, half-ass vocal from Stevie because she didn't write it)

Jondalar 01-18-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbaker3 (Post 1072881)
I think mine has to be "That Made Me Stronger." I enjoy the vocals just fine, but the lyrics in the chorus just kill it for me. It's like, c'mon Stevie... work on it a little harder, you know you can do better...

That is what I thought about that song. It was not sophisticated at all and it was lazy. It made more sense then a lot of her songs though.

tbaker3 01-18-2013 07:17 PM

I dont neccesarily like when her songs make sense. I think the amiguity of her lyrics is what really captures me. It allows the listener the opportunity to apply it to their own life however they want. I like the versatility.

Jondalar 01-18-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbaker3 (Post 1072884)
I dont neccesarily like when her songs make sense. I think the amiguity of her lyrics is what really captures me. It allows the listener the opportunity to apply it to their own life however they want. I like the versatility.

Sometimes I like it, but in the case of Thrown Down and Illume, songs with stellar production, I think her lyrics hurt the songs.

tbaker3 01-18-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1072882)
God, there are so many...

Imperial Hotel
The Nightmare
I will run to you (a tom petty throwaway he would never put on his own albums)
Two Kinds of Love
Blue Denim
Docklands
Doing the Best that I can
Cry Wolf (her vocal is god awful on it and its a great song)
I still miss someone
Fire Burning
Loves A Hard Game to Play
Jane
Love is Like aRiver
Desert Angel
Touched by an Angel
That Made Me Stronger
Too Far From Texas (really good song with a terrible vocal from Stevie)
Love Is (Bland as hell)
Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (nice song with another horrible, half-ass vocal from Stevie because she didn't write it)

I LOVE just about all of these! I'm over here, just stunned, to see such a few of my favorites on this list. It looks like they're all from after she made the change from mainstream to AC. Which is sad to me. I think as an artist evolves, they expect their audience to evolve with them (and I think most do). But if an artist sticks with the same thing over and over again, they become a 'one trick pony.' Such a double edge sword...

Jondalar 01-18-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbaker3 (Post 1072887)
I LOVE just about all of these! I'm over here, just stunned, to see such a few of my favorites on this list. It looks like they're all from after she made the change from mainstream to AC. Which is sad to me. I think as an artist evolves, they expect their audience to evolve with them (and I think most do). But if an artist sticks with the same thing over and over again, they become a 'one trick pony.' Such a double edge sword...

Please do not let me make you sad. I'm very opinionated. I thought she totally lost her touch.

tbaker3 01-18-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1072886)
Sometimes I like it, but in the case of Thrown Down and Illume, songs with stellar production, I think her lyrics hurt the songs.

To me, the lyrics ARE her songs. Sure, she does the rough draft of the musicality to accompany it, but what behind it is, in a sense, someone else's work. For instance, I really just cant get on board with Soldier's Angel (try as I might). But I dont think its the lyrics that bother me. The music behind it just is so disjointed from itself that instead of the flow that i typically fall into with her songs, just gets bumpy (for lack of a better word)

Although I DID ask why, so I suppose your response IS justifiable...

tbaker3 01-18-2013 07:38 PM

Elaborate on Jane, if you will. It seems to be one that comes up over and over again that people dont like. To me, it's a classic Stevie sound. And PLEASE don't tell me because the word chimpanzee is in the song. It's such a shame that a single word can ruin such a great song for so many people.

Jondalar 01-18-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbaker3 (Post 1072891)
Elaborate on Jane, if you will. It seems to be one that comes up over and over again that people dont like. To me, it's a classic Stevie sound. And PLEASE don't tell me because the word chimpanzee is in the song. It's such a shame that a single word can ruin such a great song for so many people.

It's the Chimpanzee line. The lyric is embarrassing. It wasn't a bad song, but she ruined it with that line. On the other hand, Docklands, Too Far From Texas and Cry Wolf are great songs written by other people but Stevie ruined them with terrible vocals. There are different reasons why I dislike songs.

Jondalar 01-18-2013 07:51 PM

P.S. I thought we were just talking about Stevie's solo songs, but if we are talking about Fleetwood Mac too, then add these.

Freedom
The Second Time
Sweet Girl
Paper Doll
No Questions Asked
Goodbye Baby
Not Make Believe

I can't put Illume or Thrown Down on the list because Lindsey's production was simply stellar. He was right about her lyrics in Throw Down though.

Macfanforever 01-18-2013 08:14 PM

I'm sorry I cant answer this question because I don't have any tunes that I don't like from Stevie.

sleepless child 01-18-2013 08:15 PM

I can't get into "Say You Will" It's put together well, nice beat, catchy chorus, but I just don't care for it.

Macfanforever 01-18-2013 08:29 PM

I had problems playing "Sometimes Its a Beach" at work do to others at the time did not want to hear the cursing so I had to skip it every time it came up on the mp3 player or CD player.

Probably today I would get away with it since today's tunes are loaded with cursing.