The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are your unpopular Stevie opinions (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25770)

diamondsnake 03-02-2006 07:02 PM

What are your unpopular Stevie opinions

What is your unpopular Stevie opinon? I have several:

-I loved her SYW button down sweater.
-The Reeboks don't bother me at all.
-Her Tango in the Night and Behind the Mask songs are some of my favorites.
-I prefer the present day Rhiannon to the old Rhiannon versions from the '70s.

What are your shameful Stevie opinions?

Brwn_eyes0511 03-02-2006 07:15 PM

Enchanted, After The Glitter Fades and That's Alright rank in my top 5 Stevie songs of all time! And I wear that with pride!!! :woohoo:

Also...the button down sweater from SYW didn't bother me either.

JWS 03-02-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondsnake

-I loved her SYW button down sweater.
-The Reeboks don't bother me at all.
-Her Tango in the Night and Behind the Mask songs are some of my favorites.
-I prefer the present day Rhiannon to the old Rhiannon versions from the '70s.

I would like to answer but I'm not sure where you're headed with this. "Unpopular" with who? This board?

AliceLover 03-02-2006 07:23 PM

I like some of her shoulderpad outfits from 89/91
My favorite Rhiannon is from 90'
I think Sable on Blond, Wild Heart, and Highwayman SUCK!
I like Two Kinds of Love and Docklands

goldustsongbird 03-02-2006 07:23 PM

I like OSOTM and Street Angel. Maybe not in their entirety, but like every album, they have their high points.

I like the Reeboks too. They're cute!

diamondsnake 03-02-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS
I would like to answer but I'm not sure where you're headed with this. "Unpopular" with who? This board?

Unpopular opinions for Stevie fans in general

Ghost_Tracker 03-02-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondsnake

HMMMmmm - UH-oh! Well - at the risk of being slammed - and I'm just being completely honest -

1.) I think she was a little silly for putting "That Made Me Stronger" on "Trouble in Shangri-la."

2.) I think she sometimes misperceives how hard she works, compared to the "average person." But I feel she's VERY clear on how rough most people's lives are.

3.) I think things sometimes seem much bigger to her than they really are.

4.) I don't think she would ever, ever, ever want to get back together with
Lindsey. Not in a million years.

5.) I think she's still in love with Mick, always has been, and always will be.

6.) I think she didn't actually like Prince all that much.

7.) Not like I think she's Einstein or something, but I think that in interviews she often hides how intelligent and practical she is, although I think she's been a little better about that lately.

8.) I think she's currently doing an unbelievably intense media blitz in Australia with the sole purpose of subtley re-defining her image, headed up by Liz Rosenberg, who by the way was or is Madonna's publicist as well.
She's a total "Top Gun," doesn't come cheap, and I think there's HUGE amounts of effort and thought that are going into this behind-the-scenes.

9.) I think that, although she may still feel somewhat sad, she's having an absolute blast in Australia and absolutely loves it there. And so, along those lines -

10.) I think she's VERY seriously considering moving to Australia. Not necessarily as a primary residence - I guess she considers Phoenix to be home - but I betcha she's been looking at some real estate ads.

11.) I think she still smokes, but is trying not to and doesn't want others to follow her example.

12.) I think that when she's not touring or doing business-related things, when she's at home watching tv or reading or something, she TOTALLY forgets she's a "big rock star" and just kinda chills, no mysticism, no "etherealness," no chiffon, no nuthin' - just this nice lady watching star trek or reading a book or whatever.

13.) Believe it or not, I think maybe she knows how to use a vacuum cleaner and boil water...

14.) Not necessarily an "unpopular" one but - I think she knows how to ski and enjoys it, or at least used to.

15.) I think sometimes she'd much rather be riding a horse or hanging out on a boat than singing "Stand Back" for the ten billionth time in concert. And I think she's so sick of performing "Gold Dust Woman" that she's about to spit.

16.) I think when photographers aren't around, her house is a mess, always has been, always will be.

17.) I think she isn't as careful as she should be about "borrowing" certain things from her influences ( Oscar Wilde, the guitarist of The Police/Edge of Seventeen riff, etc. ) She doesn't know where the line is and she's VERY lucky that she hasn't been sued, and if she had been it would have made her a BETTER songwriter and a BETTER person.

18.) I think she lies through her teeth about what Edge of Seventeen is actually about, and will never, never, never admit what it's really about. And she thinks it isn't obvious to most people over the age of 12. ( Granted it was first written about John Lennon and her uncle and I know that meant a lot to her, but have you SEEN the HBO Special? Please. :rolleyes: )

Welp - you asked! :rolleyes:

Excuse me, I'm going to go hide now. :lol: :o

sasja 03-02-2006 07:51 PM

Do I dare?

1. I think her songwriting was somewhat interesting until the Bella Donna album, and some of the Wild Heart maybe...
After that it became just a bunch of babbling full of Welllllll s....
Partial phrases glued together by Welllllllllllllllllll s isn't poetry. It's stilted use of the beautiful English language, and severely lacks the conveying of fluent thought.

2. Stevie is the quintessential navelgazer.

3. Oh and superficially: she should wear pants all the time instead of skirts which make her look frumpy and shortwaisted and, well, dwarfish.

Alrighty, I will quit while I still have a head to go hide!
~ducks and hides~

Sasja

JWS 03-02-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
14.) Not necessarily an "unpopular" one but - I think she knows how to ski and enjoys it, or at least used to. :o

At one time Stevie was a skier..she grew up in California after all. I recall seeing picture of a young Stevie Nicks on skis at a resort. Could have been Aspen during the BN period. Considering her age and weight issues I doubt if she skis anymore...could be wrong. Anybody know?

ShangriLaTroubl 03-02-2006 08:03 PM

-I like the song "Jane"

That's the only one I can really think of.

Chris

SapphireSister 03-02-2006 08:16 PM

The first couple that come to mind are:
1)My favorite Stevie is when she was totally coked out of her mind a la RAL
2)I love Docklands, The Nightmare, and Desert Angel

JWS 03-02-2006 08:20 PM

Here is my unpopular opinion...probably very unpopular, and perhaps more fact than opinion. To wit: Stevie Nicks was a cocaine and sex junkie. Note I said "was". I talking about the 1976 through 1987 time period. I think after Betty Ford Stevie is a totally changed person.

We already know the first part is true and Stevie has talked about the wild parties and it also was written about in the tabloids back in the 80's. I'm old enough to have read this first hand. Of course not everything in the tabloids is true (or even most of it). Somebody at a another forum, may have been this one, once described some "encounter" Stevie had on top a speaker on stage behind the curtains. OK I guess you can excuse it all away and say she was a big time rock star and all that goes with it.

Someone tell me I'm crazy and it's just not true. I sure would like to believe you.

SmileAtU 03-02-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapphireSister
1)My favorite Stevie is when she was totally coked out of her mind a la RAL

I'm going to say that's probably my #1 opinion as well! Love RAL Stevie! :nod:

ontheEdgeof17 03-02-2006 08:38 PM

-Street Angel is her masterpiece

-I hate her Rhiannon outfits from the 70s

-RAL was her best tour

-Fall From Grace sucks live

-Show bootlegs are boring to watch/listen to

cliffdweller 03-02-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS
To wit: Stevie Nicks was a cocaine and sex junkie.

Sex junkie? Surely you're not serious. Then I guess that makes all those wild, rock and roll guys who did the same thing sex junkies too, hell, I guess that makes a lot of my friends sex junkies :rolleyes:. C'mon dude, I think that's going off the deep-end a bit don't you think? Sure, Stevie got around, but I'm thinking it was no more than anyone else in her position.