The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are your unpopular Stevie opinions (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25770)

BlackWidow 03-03-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickypt
Although I did have in there that Sharon is not married. She says she's in a long term relationship, though.

You may be right Ryan..they do live together though.:rolleyes:
http://www.nicksfix.com/sn0013.jpg

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWidow
You may be right Ryan..they do live together though.:rolleyes:

i always thought Sharon lived with Stevie............?
her Sharon & Karen :laugh:

i'm confused :shocked:

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DashingDan
Chris Nicks' resentment of the way he was treated as a child, versus the way his precious and talented sister was treated, played a part in his ability sit back and watch his sister, as an adult, completely fall apart and reach death's door on two seperate occaisions, while he was on her payroll.

Uhhh, near as I can make out, he was right in there with them in the thick of things, so I'm not sure this is really true. He was a part of it and may not have noticed anything different compared to everyone else, including him.
Plus, franlky, she wouldn't have listened to him.

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721
actually, when a string of nouns is connected by "and," the entire thing is considered plural, hence "are" should be used.

True, that's how they do it at Harvard. But in my opinion most professional writers are willing to consider multiple things, grouped together, as one thing - therefore "is" instead of "are." :blob1: :rolleyes: :lol:

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red
Hmm. I agree with the person that said that Stevie tends to "borrow" a little more from other musicians than she may be aware or let on. Especially Illume. That is a complete and blatant rip off of "New York" by Richard Ashcroft. I mean, IDENTICAL. I had a friend who pointed it out and played it for me and my heart just sank...oh Stevie.:distress:

Also I think she's pretty self indulgent, particularly with the importance of her writing. Didja catch all that "I didn't sleep, but I wrote 4 songs" on the DR doc? She only mentioned it, like 1000 times! I find that more humourous than anything though.

Yeah, and apparently, she had been "writing . . . like a maniac" too! :shocked:

Please.

Go back and look at the actual "Say You Will" album.

1.) Illume has already been mentioned - very important and serious song, but I guess she "borrowed" it from another writer.

2.) Thrown Down. k, I'll give her this one.

3.) Say You Will - i.m.o., this was written with the sole intent of having a single to release to get radio time to promote the entire album. I like it, and it's a catchy, fun song, but let's face it, someone with Stevie's talent could have written this one on the back of a paper bag at lunchtime... And look at the actual lyrics - there's two short verses and one catchy chorus which is repeated over and over; that's the entire song.

4.) Smile at You - this is an old, old song that she wrote way back in the late '70s.

5.) Running Through the Garden - I definitely give her this one, and I consider it brilliant. I think it sorta "refers back" to an earlier 1980s song called "Gate and Garden," too.

6.) Silver Girl - k, I'll give her that, too.

7.) Everybody Finds Out - k, yeah, I'll give'er that. I think it's another brilliant one, actually.

8.) Destiny Rules - k, I'll give her this, too. I like it, at least. The peak of her career? That I'm not so sure of.

9.) Goodbye Baby - she wrote this as "The Tower" back in 1979 or so.

That's six songs that she wrote recently that ended up on the album, at least one of which was well below her ability level. Lets say she had started a year beforehand - although the last real FM album was - what - 1990? That had four of her songs, none of which were hits. Can you name one of them?
Six songs in, say, one year is not "writing like a maniac," and it's not the kind of output you would expect a "prolific" songwriter to have.

And so - not putting her down here but - another "unpopular opinion" that I have is -

Stevie tells "little white lies" sometimes, and has absolutely no qualms about it. But, although she doesn't realize this -

she's not very good at it. It's usually pretty obvious when she's fibbin'. She doesn't quite realize that, though.... :shocked:

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
What, you think she pulled a She Bop a la Cyndi Lauper and made it about sex, and attempted to shroud its meaning in clever imagery?

Who! STEVIE? Stevie's an ANGEL! :shocked:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorcerer386
Actually ladies and gents, Ghost_Tracker IS correct in saying that Stevie was right, but has the wrong reason. You have to read these lines differently from how you are reading them. She is saying "the bright light is lying down the earth and the sea and the sky, [the bright light] is at rest with the ocean, and the days go by..." This way of reading it makes much more sense, too, because what sense does it make to say "the earth and the sea and sky are at rest with the ocean." She's talking about the sun setting, the "bright light," which "comes to rest with the ocean."

Sneaky, ain't she. ;)
But I do feel that "the earth and the sea and the sky are at rest with the ocean" makes sense. It's a "Gaiea" thing - earth and nature and all that, "at one with" the rest of the Universe. Separate things, considered as one.
Clever girl! :eek: :)

BlackWidow 03-03-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
Yeah, and apparently, she had been "writing . . . like a maniac" too! :shocked:

Please.

Go back and look at the actual "Say You Will" album.

1.) Illume has already been mentioned - very important and serious song, but I guess she "borrowed" it from another writer.

2.) Thrown Down. k, I'll give her this one.

3.) Say You Will - i.m.o., this was written with the sole intent of having a single to release to get radio time to promote the entire album. I like it, and it's a catchy, fun song, but let's face it, someone with Stevie's talent could have written this one on the back of a paper bag at lunchtime... And look at the actual lyrics - there's two short verses and one catchy chorus which is repeated over and over; that's the entire song.

4.) Smile at You - this is an old, old song that she wrote way back in the late '70s.

Quote:

5.) Running Through the Garden - I definitely give her this one, and I consider it brilliant. I think it sorta "refers back" to an earlier 1980s song called "Gate and Garden," too.
6.) Silver Girl - k, I'll give her that, too.

7.) Everybody Finds Out - k, yeah, I'll give'er that. I think it's another brilliant one, actually.

8.) Destiny Rules - k, I'll give her this, too. I like it, at least. The peak of her career? That I'm not so sure of.

9.) Goodbye Baby - she wrote this as "The Tower" back in 1979 or so.

That's six songs that she wrote recently that ended up on the album, at least one of which was well below her ability level. Lets say she had started a year beforehand - although the last real FM album was - what - 1990? That had four of her songs, none of which were hits. Can you name one of them?
Six songs in, say, one year is not "writing like a maniac," and it's not the kind of output you would expect a "prolific" songwriter to have.

And so - not putting her down here but - another "unpopular opinion" that I have is -

Stevie tells "little white lies" sometimes, and has absolutely no qualms about it. But, although she doesn't realize this -

she's not very good at it. It's usually pretty obvious when she's fibbin'. She doesn't quite realize that, though.... :shocked:

Running Through The Garden is an OLD song too! It was rejected for Mirage..years ago.http://www.nicksfix.com/sn0013.jpg

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catinthedark
-
- i hate the lasso-twirling-syw thing

- i

I think a lot of stuff that Stevie and Company do up on stage is their own idea, but if you look at the credits to "Live in Boston," there was actually a Director. I betcha that was his or her idea. Maybe the stuff she did before "Stand Back," also. ( Although I have my suspicions that what happened there is Brent Tuggle screwed up and didn't come in at the right time, and Stevie was actually pointing at him like, "This is YOOOOUUUuuuu!"
and then covered for him. Did anyone else have that impression? )

Ghost_Tracker 03-03-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWidow
Running Through The Garden is an OLD song too! It was rejected for Mirage..years ago.

Didn't KNOW that! K, so that's 5 new songs on the album, that she wrote in, say, one year, and one of those songs had 2 verses and a simple chorus which was repeated over and over.

I'm LOVING this thread, though! :)

carrie721 03-03-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
True, that's how they do it at Harvard. But in my opinion most professional writers are willing to consider multiple things, grouped together, as one thing -therefore "is" instead of "are." :blob1: :rolleyes: :lol:

i don't think you'd be happy with the results of that poll. there are some cases where that's true (my english teacher called it the "macaroni and cheese" rule), but can you really imagine a professional writer (or anyone, really) saying "the earth and the sea and the sky is at rest"?

also, i think it's a really tired stereotype that academics aren't in touch with the "real" world.

Boots 03-03-2006 09:43 PM

I'm still gobsmacked that people have intuitive feelings that Stevie did it with women. I mean..what Planet do you people live on that can so freely believe something so ridiculous? OMG...she is the most horny hetero out there. Stop watching The L Word, guys. My intuitive feeling is that she is into men and only men, and her girlfriends are her spiritual support. If you think every woman with good GF's is a lesbian - than you're have a very interesting imagination, indeed.

BlackWidow 03-03-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boots
I'm still gobsmacked that people have intuitive feelings that Stevie did it with women. I mean..what Planet do you people live on that can so freely believe something so ridiculous? OMG...she is the most horny hetero out there. Stop watching The L Word, guys. My intuitive feeling is that she is into men and only men, and her girlfriends are her spiritual support. If you think every woman with good GF's is a lesbian - than you're have a very interesting imagination, indeed.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! THAT IS CRAZY TALK!!!!

carrie721 03-03-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boots

hahaha THANK YOU!

BlackWidow 03-03-2006 09:51 PM

Stevie PLEASE STOP THE AIR GUITAR..THE AIR DRUMS & AIR VIOLIN & AIR LASSO!!! PLEASE I BEG YOU TO STOP IT!!!!!http://www.nicksfix.com/sn0013.jpg