The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eagles / Fleetwood Mac Dream Pairing Eyed For Stadiums (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42462)

MacMan 12-11-2009 06:05 PM

Eagles / Fleetwood Mac Dream Pairing Eyed For Stadiums

Dream pairing eyed for stadiums
LiveDaily (owned by Ticketmaster)

A dream tour of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac has reached the proposal stage.

The concept of a summer US tour featuring the two Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members and consistent concert draws of the last decade is being presented to stadium and arena operators and promoters. The double bill is being considered for a combination of single nights in baseball and football stadiums and multiple nights in arenas.

The supply of national stadium tours has been slimming over the last several years. U2 was able to fill the 70,000-seat venues in cities across the country this year, but most stadium shows have been one-offs. Madonna and the reunited Police also had recent successes in stadiums.

The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac have shared a stadium bill only once--July 25, 1976 at Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, MA. The Eagles were the headliners, having released a greatest hits album earlier in the year. Fleetwood Mac was still touring in support of their self-titled disc that was the first to feature Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Within a year of that show both bands would release the albums that elevated them to superstar status, "Hotel California" and "Rumours."

CADreaming 12-11-2009 06:21 PM

WHAT?!?! :eek:

I just don't even know what to make out of this notion...

LukeA 12-11-2009 06:34 PM

This idea has been floated numerous times over the past 10 years. Won't/can't happen. Ticket prices would have to be astronomical- to the point where only about a half dozen markets are REMOTELY feasible from a stadium perspective- and each band would only end up making a bit more than they could if they played on their own. Plus, these guys still have massive egos. Too many factors are keeping this even going past the proposal stage.

ILoveFM 12-11-2009 06:37 PM

I. Am. Freaking. Out.

sodascouts 12-11-2009 06:39 PM

Has it gotten to the proposal stage before? The LiveDaily article makes it sound like this is a step closer than in the past. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll come off.

vivfox 12-11-2009 06:55 PM

I wonder how much the cheap seats are gonna cost?

louielouie2000 12-11-2009 07:01 PM

Eeew. Another reason for them to play the cash in on the oldies game and not focus on doing something NEW! :rolleyes:

Nathan 12-11-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 859479)
Eeew. Another reason for them to play the cash in on the oldies game and not focus on doing something NEW! :rolleyes:

I have to agree. That probably would be the case.

LukeA 12-11-2009 07:13 PM

As MacMan noted, the site where this blurb was posted is owned by Ticketmaster, who is associated with Live Nation- both of whom are overseen by Irving Azoff, who- surprise!- happens to manage both Eagles & Fleetwood Mac.

This is about as blatant as a "lets throw this idea out to gauge fan reaction, and then react accordingly" planted news "story" as you can possibly get (even moreso than the Sheryl Crow fiasco). You'd have to be deaf, dumb & blind not to see how transparent this is.

jbrownsjr 12-11-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 859482)
As MacMan noted, the site where this blurb was posted is owned by Ticketmaster, who is associated with Live Nation- both of whom are overseen by Irving Azoff, who- surprise!- happens to manage both Eagles & Fleetwood Mac.

This is about as blatant as a "lets throw this idea out to gauge fan reaction, and then react accordingly" planted news "story" as you can possibly get (even moreso than the Sheryl Crow fiasco). You'd have to be deaf, dumb & blind not to see how transparent this is.

or just dumb..

MacMan 12-11-2009 07:24 PM

I could totally see this happening...but like you said with egos involved how could they work out such things as who would open/close? Both bands play long sets on their own, they'd obviously have to cut that back - which if you factor in the time spent on stage for each band might work out to just as much money wise as if they were playing on their own... In a stadium they'd have to come up with a shared type of stage if they are playing one right after the other - it would take hours to reconfigure to each layout if they didn't... There'd be lots of hurdles, but I think if they put their minds to it it could happen... But yeah, the big question would be who could afford the show and who could affort a ticket.

hippilil86 12-11-2009 07:26 PM

If they came anywhere near Mpls market, I would go. I bet though, the closest they would come would be Chicago. I think I would still go. However.....I'm 89% sure this is never going to happen.

AliceLover 12-11-2009 08:14 PM

Can you imagine how expensive the tickets would be? I personally think this would absolutely suck. Also, I don't think this is something Lindsey would go for unless there was some sort of new material to promote. He barely agreed to the "Unleashed Tour" and that was because he put out 20+ tracks of new material. I can't see him buying into this.

louielouie2000 12-11-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceLover (Post 859491)
I don't think this is something Lindsey would go for unless there was some sort of new material to promote. He barely agreed to the "Unleashed Tour" and that was because he put out 20+ tracks of new material. I can't see him buying into this.

I think he'd heartily disagree to it morally... but FM is his cash cow these days. I think him having his own family to support and remind him of their (and not just HIS) needs has changed LB. His continued involvement in Fleetwood Mac at this point is solely to support his solo career and padded lifestyle, I guarantee you.

David 12-11-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMan (Post 859469)
The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac have shared a stadium bill only once--July 25, 1976 at Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, MA.

Um, is this true? I thought they did a bunch of outdoor stadium shows together that summer in '76.

GypsyBlueEyes 12-11-2009 09:19 PM

If this were to happen I would probably go...just to see FM. I wouldn't be overly thrilled about it though. The idea of sitting through even half a show with the Eagles gives me a headache. Plus, as was already mentioned, in having to accommodate both groups, so much of the FM material that they really HAVE to include in order to please the fans would have to be cut...so what would be the point?

They need to focus on new material! I'm anxious to see what they would come up with. I think they've still got it. I was behind this Unleashed Tour, thought it would be great fun, but its been done now...time to move on. They keep this up and the next thing you know they'll be headlining Silver Springs :(

LOL...and how many ex-lovers does Stevie need to go on tour with at one time anyway :p (Just kidding Stevie, you know I love ya :angel: )

Hawkeye 12-11-2009 09:21 PM

Please God dont let this happen.

MacMan 12-11-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes (Post 859498)
LOL...and how many ex-lovers does Stevie need to go on tour with at one time anyway :p (Just kidding Stevie, you know I love ya :angel: )

That's funny, never thought of that. She'll be drowning in a sea of MEN!

GypsyBlueEyes 12-11-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMan (Post 859501)
That's funny, never thought of that. She'll be drowning in a sea of MEN!

haha, she'll be drowning in a sea of awkward!

SandyMac 12-11-2009 10:21 PM

yeah really, talk about awkward... Stevie telling the Gypsy story of how LB shared the bed on the floor with Don listening in the wings backstage.

Scheduling this would be a nightmare and can listen to the Eagles sometimes, but would hate to sit through a whole Eagles concert just to hear Fleetwood Mac, plus the sticky situation of who opens. Do they alternate who goes first?

Hmmm, wondering if they are saying the same thing over at the Eagles forum boards, but in reverse.

FMlex 12-11-2009 10:44 PM

I don't care how expensive the tickets are, I will be there with bells and whistles on.
I definitely hope this happens.

Eeeeeeeeek! Hahaha it is quite comical though for Stevie being up there with so many ex-lovers.

Amlyn 12-11-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes (Post 859503)
haha, she'll be drowning in a sea of awkward!

4 of your ex-lovers all touring together. There's a reality show for ya.

LukeA 12-12-2009 12:06 AM

I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of reasons why this tour will never happen. Hopefully, I won't have to get into the nitty gritty to dissuade the optimistic/delusional, but.. lets just boil it down to this-

Eagles are considerably more popular than Fleetwood Mac. They don't need an opening act, and Fleetwood Mac most certainly doesn't want to open for Eagles.

michelej1 12-12-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

A dream tour of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac has reached the proposal stage.

If this was the surprise that Mick was talking about, I'd like to grab him and cut off his ponytail. It's more of a nightmare than a surprise. Michele

holidayroad 12-12-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceLover (Post 859491)
Can you imagine how expensive the tickets would be? I personally think this would absolutely suck. Also, I don't think this is something Lindsey would go for unless there was some sort of new material to promote. He barely agreed to the "Unleashed Tour" and that was because he put out 20+ tracks of new material. I can't see him buying into this.

I agree that I could never see Lindsey agreeing to this. Nothing against The Eagles. They are a fine music group who I would like to see in concert, but not in concert as an opener or closer for Fleetwood Mac. Each group lends itself to a 'concert experience'. Mixing the two would make each so much less special.

DavidMn 12-12-2009 02:56 AM

So how long would each bands set be? 2 hours? 90 min? I am intrigued by the idea, but while it wouldn't completely shock me to see it happen, in my opinion there's less than a 25% chance of it actually occuring.

sodascouts 12-12-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 859482)
This is about as blatant as a "lets throw this idea out to gauge fan reaction, and then react accordingly" planted news "story" as you can possibly get.

I don't see how this supports your contention that the tour is not going to happen. Presumably, if fan reaction were positive enough, the tour might happen after all... unless you believe they enjoy testing fan response for ideas they have no intention of ever carrying out.

Unfortunately, I still have to admit I don't think this will come off either.

joe 12-12-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac have shared a stadium bill only once--July 25, 1976 at Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, MA.

So THAT'S where that footage is from in Two Sticks and A Drum. The opening shots are of a stadium show and I thought I made out "Schaefer" on the outside of the stadium. I think I even asked this once on here but noone knew (or cared!). Not sure why I was intrigued by it but I'm always curious about the dates and places of old footage.

And, yes, as David pointed out, I thought they did some other stadium shows with the Eagles that summer? Wasn't there mention of something on the 4th of July in FL?

We need full video w/audio (none of this super 8 silent stuff) of this gig.

AgeOldDesire 12-12-2009 09:42 AM

I know a person can live just fine on one kidney; but I'd like to keep both of mine where they are. So I won't be selling one just to get a ticket to this little Same Old Songs Soiree.

HenleyFan 12-12-2009 10:41 AM

Yeah, it's pretty much the same sentiment in our Eagles fan community. :) Not that we don't like FM, but we don't want a shared bill show with shortened sets, higher ticket prices and stadiums (which suck BIG TIME).

This double bill would be a great show for the casual, classic rock fan, but hard-core fans of either band are going to be disappointed. Both bands would have to play only the hits and cut out anything that makes a regular show special and exciting......not cool.

L&M
www.eaglesfans.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyMac (Post 859507)
Hmmm, wondering if they are saying the same thing over at the Eagles forum boards, but in reverse.

FMlex 12-12-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 859519)
I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of reasons why this tour will never happen. Hopefully, I won't have to get into the nitty gritty to dissuade the optimistic/delusional, but.. lets just boil it down to this-

Eagles are considerably more popular than Fleetwood Mac. They don't need an opening act, and Fleetwood Mac most certainly doesn't want to open for Eagles.

Plenty of successful bands tour together. Chicago and E,W&F. Styx and REO Speedwagon. James Tayor and Carole King.

Granted, most popular bands that get together like that come up with a new song they had worked on together, but FM & the Eagles could do that too -- hahaha. Yeah, right. Lindsey and Don working together. That'd be some funny **** to see.

It could happen, but I don't really see why a lot of you automatically dismiss the idea. Do you really not think that this is a cool idea or are you just trying to be all high and mighty so you can say "I told you so" if the time comes? :shrug:

vivfox 12-12-2009 11:13 AM

Responses of this idea from Eagles Fans

December 11, 2009
Eagles and Fleetwood Mac this Summer?
Fleetwood Mac? Stadiums? We sure hope not! Thanks, Mike B. for the heads up!

The concept of a summer US tour featuring the two Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members and consistent concert draws of the last decade is being presented to stadium and arena operators and promoters. The double bill is being considered for a combination of single nights in baseball and football stadiums and multiple nights in arenas.

rated 4.81 by 5 people [?]

December 11, 2009 in Eagles, Eagles Tour Dates | Permalink

Comments
Jersey Jim said...
I remember when I saw the Stevie Nicks and Don Henley tour a few years back at PNC Arts Center in New Jersey. Stevie Nicks fans were giving Don a hard time and Don didnt even do an encore. Not that this would happen but my question would be who goes on first? Hope this tour doesnt happen.
Reply December 12, 2009 at 09:28 AM

Mary R said...
This one is a "toughy"---I'm inclined to agree with Griff on this one---tho I'm thinkin that a cool summer night at the old "E" Center on the waterfront in Camden NJ might be a VERY NEAT PLACE to see the Eagles & "The Mac" come next July or August. We shall see what we shall see!!
Reply December 12, 2009 at 04:02 AM

Super Frey said...
Well I agree on seeing the Eagles, but I also think it would be cool to see Fleetwood Mac too.
Reply December 11, 2009 at 08:46 PM

Cella said...
I am skeptical that they will go for it – for some reason. I also think that I prefer to spend my money to see the Eagles in smaller arenas, for the sound quality. I am not sure about the “outside stadium thing”.
Reply December 11, 2009 at 07:59 PM

Griff said...
Neither band can fill stadiums seperately but maybe together. If this is the last tour for The Eagles I would rather see them in a small arena or large auditorium for optimum sound. Maybe a tour with some of each. Stadiums w/Mac for a few dates in the largest markets and small arenas and premier halls for intimate high quality sound! I wouldn't waste my money on an outdoor stadium show with their terrible sound. We shall see.
Reply December 11, 2009 at 07:01 PM

Scott said...
Awesome! Hope it happens, it would be monumental!

http://eaglesfans.typepad.com/latest...is-summer.html

Musicman408 12-12-2009 11:17 AM

I don't know about you all, but I have no interest in seeing this because I KNOW that ticket prices will absolutely be RIDICULOUS!!!!! And I am totally not for that.

David 12-12-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMlex (Post 859593)
Granted, most popular bands that get together like that come up with a new song they had worked on together, but FM & the Eagles could do that too -- hahaha. Yeah, right. Lindsey and Don working together. That'd be some funny **** to see.

They have worked together: Lindsey played guitar & helped with some production tasks on Don's "Building the Perfect Beast" album.

Quote:

It could happen, but I don't really see why a lot of you automatically dismiss the idea.
It seems perfectly plausible to me. It sounds like huge potential for ka-ching all around, which is what the sixty-somethings need, now that their real estate & their IRAs have lost so much value.

Imagine the PBS pledge breaks next year: "The Eagles & Fleetwood Mac--Rhiannon Checks In To The Hotel California!"

pattyfan 12-12-2009 12:29 PM

Well, I have no idea whether it will happen or not, but I really hope it doesn't. I'm sure the tickets will be at least $200 each, and probably a lot more than that. Also, stadium shows absolutely suck. The sound is always terrible, you end up watching them on a screen because you are so far away, and because it's hard for people who aren't die hard fans to stay connected to the performance, you get lots of beer swilling people talking through the entire show. Plus, you know we would get abbreviated sets. I mean, for each of them to play 2 hours, plus make changes on stage between the two bands, and finish before 11:00 (most cities have curfews for loud shows, don't they?) the would have to start at 6:00 , and you know that's not going to happen. But the worst part of it is that if it happens, I know I will shell out the big bucks and go. I just wouldn't be able not to. I know, I'm sick;)

Kevin

Fleetwoodmark 12-12-2009 02:02 PM

I pray to God this doesn't come to fruition. I cannot think of anything worse lol.

I don't think Lindsey, Mick or John would agree to it !

louielouie2000 12-12-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgeOldDesire (Post 859583)
I know a person can live just fine on one kidney; but I'd like to keep both of mine where they are. So I won't be selling one just to get a ticket to this little Same Old Songs Soiree.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best damn response of the thread! :thumbsup:

I know what you mean though, I thumbed my nose at the Mac's $150 ticket price this past Spring, so I'm sure not gonna pay $200+++ to see them with the Eagles. Though I love both bands, this is just total relegation to oldies standards... and I just have no interest. You just get a watered down soundbite version of each monumental band... and who wants that? :shrug:

michelej1 12-12-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 859604)
They have worked together: Lindsey played guitar & helped with some production tasks on Don's "Building the Perfect Beast" album.

Yeah, that's Lindsey singing on Don's "You Can't Make Love."

Michele

iamnotafraid 12-12-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 859497)
Um, is this true? I thought they did a bunch of outdoor stadium shows together that summer in '76.

You are correct sir. I believe one of those concerts
took place in New Orleans.

And I agree with LukeA on this one, I don't think it's
going to happen.

I can't imagine Henley with his ego would open for anyone.
And I hope Lindsey wouldn't cave on this either. But then
again.........there were rumours about a Cyrus/Mac Tour.
Wonder what happened with that?

daniellaaarisen 12-12-2009 06:49 PM

This better not happen, at least anytime soon. Let's get some new material to promote and NOT give Stephanie Lynn Nicks another reason to bitch about a tour.... if you think it is awkward to tour with one ex, imagine that times four. DUMB IDEA, even if she's on great terms with all the Eagles.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This is bad. I really hope Fleetwood Mac values their CAREERS enough to keep from going in this direction.... they're not going to be music artists to me when they stop recording, throw the towel in for good and say, "let's run around and play all the songs everyone has heard five thousand times because its safe."