The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sandy Stewart (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57489)

secret love 09-28-2017 03:33 AM

Sandy Stewart

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has had this thought, but wouldn't it be really special if Sandy Stewart wrote another gem for Fleetwood Mac?

I think the main reason Stevie doesn't contribute to Fleetwood Mác's studio work, hasn't contributed for at least 4 years or 14 years depending on what you see as a contribution.......is because she struggles to write new songs that are of merit.

Seven Wonders was one of the best songs on Tango in the Night and sounded great on the 2014-15 tour. Maybe Stevie and Sandy could even co-write something great.

I just find it sad that someone who prides herself on writing every day cannot write a pop song, or any song.

:sorry:

bwboy 09-28-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1216993)
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has had this thought, but wouldn't it be really special if Sandy Stewart wrote another gem for Fleetwood Mac?

I think the main reason Stevie doesn't contribute to Fleetwood Mác's studio work, hasn't contributed for at least 4 years or 14 years depending on what you see as a contribution.......is because she struggles to write new songs that are of merit.

Seven Wonders was one of the best songs on Tango in the Night and sounded great on the 2014-15 tour. Maybe Stevie and Sandy could even co-write something great.

I just find it sad that someone who prides herself on writing every day cannot write a pop song, or any song.

:sorry:

When's the last time ANY member of Fleetwood Mac had a hit? Maybe Sandy Stewart could write a song for Christine or Lindsey, too.

Macfan4life 09-28-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1216994)
When's the last time ANY member of Fleetwood Mac had a hit? Maybe Sandy Stewart could write a song for Christine or Lindsey, too.

I don't think song writing has anything to do with Stevie or the Mac not having Top 10 pop hits. That train left the station decades ago. You could say the same thing about John Mellencamp, Don Henley, or any other 70's or 80's artist. The music industry has changed. Mick Jagger is out with a new album. Do you really think any of the songs are going to be a hit? That should not be the motivating factor to making new music. Some of you guys pick your favorite songs by the charts only which is strange to me :eek:

Sandy has contributed to some of Stevie's songs which are ok. Just keep her away from the piano or keyboard. She played very amateur on Wild Heart (song) and that dreaded sad keyboard intro to Nightbird :eek:

TheWildHeart67 09-28-2017 08:05 AM

[QUOTE]Sandy has contributed to some of Stevie's songs which are ok. Just keep her away from the piano or keyboard. She played very amateur on Wild Heart (song) and that dreaded sad keyboard intro to Nightbird /QUOTE]
"nightbird," and Wild Heart," are classics and there is nothing dreaded about Sandy Stewart's playing keyboard. But she wasn't a major presence on anybodys continuing career. Rock and pop singers that had their peak in the 70s, 80s, even 90s won't have huge radio hits in 2017. Times change.

Macfan4life 09-28-2017 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=TheWildHeart67;1217000]
Quote:

Sandy has contributed to some of Stevie's songs which are ok. Just keep her away from the piano or keyboard. She played very amateur on Wild Heart (song) and that dreaded sad keyboard intro to Nightbird /QUOTE]
"nightbird," and Wild Heart," are classics and there is nothing dreaded about Sandy Stewart's playing keyboard. But she wasn't a major presence on anybodys continuing career. Rock and pop singers that had their peak in the 70s, 80s, even 90s won't have huge radio hits in 2017. Times change.
We are both entitled to our opinions and her playing is dreadful on the album. Nightbird killed the Wild Heart. You know the charts so you are aware it barely cracked the top 40 after following 2 huge hits. It slammed the breaks on the success of the album. And that dreaded keyboard intro was the reason ;) She is a good friend but she should have kept to background vocals. I wish Roy would have taken the lead on Nightbird.
;)

madeline 09-28-2017 04:30 PM

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but didn't Rolling Stone mag say something about a piano intro in the review of the WH? I do remember they said Stevies count off to enchanted was ridiculous or something.

HomerMcvie 09-28-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeline (Post 1217006)
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but didn't Rolling Stone mag say something about a piano intro in the review of the WH? I do remember they said Stevies count off to enchanted was ridiculous or something.

I remember that article. Something about her count being off rhythm. Because it was!

editme2 09-28-2017 07:46 PM

Lindsey has been quite prolific these past 10 years, and the quality of his output has been pretty consistently strong.

Unfortunately, I do think Stevie has trouble writing songs these days. She has implied this in a few interviews, saying she doesn't write as much as she used to. I also think she doesn't see the need to write. She thinks it's a waste of time because nobody is going to buy her music anyway. That's an unfortunate attitude, but it's where she's at now. I try not to fault her too much; she has an amazing legacy..... But as a fan I wish she'd write some new stuff before it's too late.

bombaysaffires 09-28-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1216995)
I don't think song writing has anything to do with Stevie or the Mac not having Top 10 pop hits. That train left the station decades ago. You could say the same thing about John Mellencamp, Don Henley, or any other 70's or 80's artist. The music industry has changed. Mick Jagger is out with a new album. Do you really think any of the songs are going to be a hit? That should not be the motivating factor to making new music. Some of you guys pick your favorite songs by the charts only which is strange to me :eek:

Sandy has contributed to some of Stevie's songs which are ok. Just keep her away from the piano or keyboard. She played very amateur on Wild Heart (song) and that dreaded sad keyboard intro to Nightbird :eek:

could. not. agree. more. :eek:

Macfan4life 09-29-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1217011)
could. not. agree. more. :eek:

Roy is brilliant and his playing on Enchanted, If Anyone Falls, and Beauty and the Beast is amazing. I hate to sound so critical because I am not a brilliant musician but her playing at least sounds very amateur. Even at age 13 and first hearing this song I was like "who is playing the piano?" I looked it up in the credits and was like.....oh its her friend, that explains it. I think a first year piano player could play those parts on Wild Heart. I can only imagine the life Roy could have pumped into those songs with his brilliant playing. Its the difference of a good song vs a great song. I think its a fair criticism but did expect to be flamed :eek: There is a reason that ALL the live versions of Nightbird are better than the studio version. No Sandy Stewart on piano or keyboards!!!!!!
I think Sandy should stick to writing or singing. I think "Maybe love will change your mind" is her best written song.

McLamb 10-01-2017 06:58 PM

I enjoyed Sandy's duet vocals with Stevie on the track "Nightbird" from The Wild Heart, and was disappointed when Lori Perry Nicks, and not Sandy, performed the song with Stevie on Solid Gold and Saturday Night Live.

Though it sounds a bit dated now, I really like Sandy's Cat Dancer album. If she could provide another song of the quality of "Seven Wonders" for Stevie to record with Fleetwood Mac, I'd be for it. I don't believe Sandy's style is right for a Christine or Lindsey lead vocal, however.

Pyewacket 05-30-2019 05:17 PM

I am going absolutely nuts trying to think of it ... but one of Sandy's songs from Cat Dancer (probably "Not Like The Others" or "Mind Over Matter") had the same opening chords and instrumentation as a Stevie demo. And I cannot think of which two songs. Can anyone help?

svnwndrs 05-30-2019 10:13 PM

It was Sandy’s song “Leave It All Behind”, From Cat Dancer. The track is the same track that Stevie used for her outtake “One More Tomorrow”. Maybe that is what you were thinking of?

aleuzzi 05-31-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeline (Post 1217006)

Her off-beat counting. Yes, that was one of many bitchy things the reviewer said about the album. The theme of the review was "How could it all go wrong so quickly after Bella Donna?" I didn't understand the negativity since the first two solo albums are essentially mirror images of one another--and the second is arguably better because the songs were all written and performed in a compressed time.

aleuzzi 05-31-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1216995)

Does she play an amateur piano on "The Wild Heart"? I never heard it that way. It sounds pretty workmanlike to me--solid, unexceptional playing. The intro to Nightbird is my favorite part of the song! It's evocative--at least to me. Differences in opinion.