The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Anyone like Emmylou ? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=12837)

sparky 01-16-2004 02:12 AM

Anyone like Emmylou ?

So, I just got back from an adventurous evening, part of which was seeing Emmylou open for Dave Matthews at the Staples Center. She only did 8 songs, but what an excellent performance ! Highlights were Grievous Angel, Red Dirt Girl, Born To Run, and Deeper Well. Trey Anastasio (sp?) came onstage to play guitar on Deeper Well, which was the amazing last song. Kick Ass ! I think her slot on the tour is over tomorrow night in Oakland, but if you are in Oakland, GO !

Livia 01-16-2004 10:44 AM

For months now, I've had a sticky note on my computer, "Emmylou Harris - Black Hawk and White Wing Dove." It's a beautiful song, I had to jot it down after I heard it on the radio. It's on her album called "Wrecking Ball."

And I think she looks fabulous w/ her silver-gray hair!

Ali 01-16-2004 10:59 AM

I LOVE "I Don't Want To Talk About It Now" off of "Red Dirt Girl". She most definitely kicks ass.

golddustchic 01-16-2004 11:14 AM

Emmylou is an amazing singer. Her voice gives me chills...it's just so unique and so beautiful. And I second Livia on complimenting her on her "silver-gray hair." Who else could get away with that?

Sorceress 01-16-2004 11:26 AM

Me, me! She's amazing. I LOVE Emmylou--at least the last three albums she's done. Her voice is so ethereal, so haunting. I love "Deeper Well" from "Wrecking Ball", and "My Antonia" from "Red Dirt Girl". From the new album, "I Will Dream" and "Little Bird" are my favorites. I also like "Time in Babylon," but it's weird to hear her saying SUV and speaker phone because I think of her voice and music as something not of this world, not of this time.
I totally regret that I didn't see her when she was in the area performing recently. I'd spent all my money seeing FM 85 times this year. (Well, not 85, but too many! lol) I'm very jealous of you, sparky.

dissention 01-16-2004 12:40 PM

I *love* Emmylou. She's fantastic. Red Dirt Girl is one of my all-time favorite albums. :nod:

gldstwmn 01-16-2004 12:46 PM

I love Emmylou Harris.:)

chiliD 01-16-2004 12:56 PM

She & Dave Matthews did a CMT "Crossroads" show together. Unfortunately, I missed it last week, all 97 times they aired it.

I like both of them...but together? Seems like an odd pairing, but knowing them, they made it sound incredible.

dissention 01-16-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gldstwmn
I love Emmylou Harris.:)
Me too, but that Clark banner has to go, doll. :eek:

:laugh:

:wavey:

Alison 01-16-2004 01:30 PM

I use to like her. I remember in the seventies I bought an album of hers, I think it was around 78.
Anyway I remember Mr Sandman was on it and two other songs that sent chills down my spine. The songs were something to the affect, You Don't Have To Crawl, and a song about a guy being like a fire out for control. Anyone have a clue what these songs were, I have been trying to find them for years. The cover if I remember had a blue back groung with a full shot of her.

darklinensuit 01-16-2004 02:52 PM

I don't really know her songs, but I admire her voice. Her grey hair sure makes her instantly recognizable.

- Jake

sparky 01-16-2004 03:21 PM

Glad to hear there are other Emmylou fans out there. She has such a unique voice and impeccable taste in material. It's cool that so late in her career she has blossomed into a skilled songwriter herself.

It was a totally random evening. Two days ago, a friend asked me to go, but told me we had to leave after Emmy to pick up a friend at the airport. All good. So we get there - tix and passes waiting for us (yeehaw). We went to the floor and watched most of the show from the light booth. Very interesting as I used to do lights myself. It was a cool set up.

After the set, we get hustled backstage to visit yet another friend of the pal who took me to the show. In the buzz of all this, we meet Emmy and the band, end up hanging in her dressing room, and then realize we are completely late to go to the airport. There are two missed calls on my cell phone. The plane has landed, there are two people who have flown in from Germany waiting for us at LAX. Ridiculous. So, we have to leave, and everyone in that dressing room looked at us like we were crazy when we said we had to go to the airport. We are rushing through the parking lot, saying - "We were just backstage at the Staples Center, in Emmylou's dressing room. We skipped the headliner. We're rushing to the airport. It's so rock and roll." We laughed like idiots at the silliness of it all.

BTW Emmylou is so beautiful and kind. Very shy, and humble about her work. What a treat to meet her.

gldstwmn 01-16-2004 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sparky

BTW Emmylou is so beautiful and kind. Very shy, and humble about her work. What a treat to meet her.

She is incredibly beautiful. Did she have her big, black dog with her?

sparky 01-16-2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gldstwmn
She is incredibly beautiful. Did she have her big, black dog with her?
No dog. Dog free zone backstage, as far as I saw.

Siri Ruane 01-16-2004 08:16 PM

Emmylous Harris is awesome. As my dad once said, "She loves her guitar more than her husband and thats just cool." :laugh: