The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reigns Supreme at Day Two of Classic East Festival (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57385)

TheWildHeart67 07-31-2017 09:59 AM

Reigns Supreme at Day Two of Classic East Festival

Fleetwood Mac Reigns Supreme at Day Two of Classic East Festival
7/31/2017 by Andrew Unterberger
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
EMAIL ME

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Scoop Marketing
Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac performs during The Classic West at Dodger Stadium on July 16, 2017 in Los Angeles.

The two days of the Classic East festival in Queens, New York led up to its Fleetwood Mac climax on Sunday night (Jul. 30) with a mix of assuredness and lingering curiosity. The five acts that had preceded them each had been missing a pivotal member -- by choice, circumstance or both -- but Fleetwood Mac could make the increasingly rare boast of being a classic '70s act with their most successful lineup (all due respect, Bob Welch and Peter Green) intact.

In a way, that made the band the safest bet of the weekend. But Fleetwood Mac has so long seemed to thrive on combustibility that without any built-in member drama, it was worth wondering if they might actually come off too safe.

READ MORE
Eagles Are Their Own Special Guests at Day One of Classic East Festival
But there were two other acts before Classic East got to the Rumours crew on Sunday night, starting with the music world's most overqualified crowd-warmers in Earth, Wind & Fire. The legendary Chicago collective swarmed the stage en masse in their blue-and-gold ensembles, sparking a set of virtually non-stop communal funk vibes. Though they numbered in the double digits, like the previous night's headliners, their ranks had recently suffered a crippling blow: Founding member, co-leader and primarily writer/producer Maurice White passed in early 2016, with tribute being paid via archival video and an extended moment of onstage stillness and silence from the otherwise perpetually moving outfit.

Still, never was a cloudy day in the EWF-verse, and it certainly wasn't Sunday, as the sun beat down on the Citi Field crowd unabated and the band happily matched its intensity. Though The Doobie Brothers' well-received opening set on Saturday still found the crowd largely split between the sitting and the standing, Earth, Wind & Fire had nearly the whole crowd on their feet immediately -- starting with "Shining Star" always helps -- and gave them no real chance to return at any point after, smashing one dance-compulsory jam right into the next.

READ MORE
Earth, Wind & Fire Bandmates Call Maurice White 'A Consummate Perfectionist'
Early on, leader Phillip Bailey called out for the "true Earth, Wind & Fire" fans in the crowd, clarifying that "true" EWF fans "don't necessarily like the songs that were top 10s on the charts... they like the songs because they were top 10s in their hearts." That said, the band did play all seven of their Billboard Hot 100 top 10 hits, and the majority of their other most crowd-pleasing oldies. The most impressive thing about EWF's set might be how little the group's energy sagged even during the ostensible "slow" songs -- "That's the Way of the World," "Fantasy" and "After the Love Has Gone" (which the group even brought out stools for, like they were about to do a Boyz II Men-style a capella) had more vibrancy than most groups' rave-ups.

The tightness of Earth, Wind & Fire's set stood in stark contrast to their stage successors in Bay Area arena-rock paragons Journey, who were more than willing to engage in a little musical sprawl. Founding guitarist Neal Schon enjoyed several extended solo interludes (keyboardist Jonathan Cain also took one of his own), while the group's huge pop hits were often affixed with long codas or vamping sections for Schon and/or singer Arnel Pineda. Sometimes these detours were exciting, and sometimes it felt like the band could stand to just leave well enough alone -- c'mon guys, the climax to "Don't Stop Believin'" needs no addendum. Unexpectedly, the most thrilling moment of the entire set came via a drum solo from Steve "The Magician" Smith, who lived up to his Pineda-applied nickname with all sorts of Cirque du Soleil-worthy drumstick trickery.

The crowd was also less immediately engaged with Journey than they were with Earth, Wind & Fire -- perhaps a function of Journey being the middle band, or the only band on the weekend whose biggest hits mostly came in the '80s, or the only band with an obvious replacement vocalist as the focal point. (Though non-original members carried heavy vocal burdens in the Eagles and EWF, they also had Don Henley and Phillip Bailey to lean on for familiarity.) It also didn't help that Pineda's vocals weren't quite 100% on the evening -- he was a convincing Steve Perry stand-in for about 98% of his notes, but his strain was obvious (if understandable) in reaching for that highest 2%, and in Journey more than most bands, that makes a difference.

READ MORE
Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Journey's 'Greatest Hits' Album Reaches 450th Week on List
Still, the group had roused the audience by set's end -- with songs as good as theirs, it's almost always just a matter of time. Penultimate closer "Faithfully" proved a particularly stirring climax, Pineda nailing the entire vocal and maximizing the crowd's investment with the confidence of a guy who's been doing this for a decade (which, incredibly, he now has). The group encored with 1979 stadium-soul favorite "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'," and the song's infectious "na na na na, na na" outro was still an audible hum among attendees at the bathroom and concessions lines well after the song ended.

Then, the main event, with the house more packed than it had been all weekend: Fleetwood Mac came out stomping with the merciless bass drum and devastating harmonies of "The Chain," and were off from there. (Well, almost: drummer Mick Fleetwood threw the band off on the following song with the opening "Dreams" fill, before correcting himself with the "You Make Loving Fun" intro.) The band made their not-f--king-around intentions clear by starting with four consecutive tracks from 1977's diamond-and-then-some blockbuster Rumours, ultimately playing 8 of the 11 songs off the album that came to define their strengths as a band (and their personal weaknesses as bandmates).

If fans were hoping some of the behind-the-scenes drama from that album would end up spilling from the songs onto the stage, they may have come away slightly underwhelmed. Though Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham -- whose volatile partnershiphas largely come to define the band, on and off their records -- did enjoy some longing glances, and a stilted hug at the end of the Nicks-sung Tusk highlight "Sara," the band's dynamic was professional, respectful and non-flammable. The only real explosions to come from the stage were with the actual fireworks set off at encore's end.

Buckingham indirectly addressed the public's seemingly insatiable appetite for Fleetwood Mac intrigue during one mid-song break. "That certainly does help define the band," he conceded. "But I think you have to look underneath that... what you see is a lot -- a lot -- of love." He also maintained that while the band's varied personalities and talents may make them an unlikely fit on paper, "It's the synergy of what we do that makes it more than the sum of its parts -- that's always been the case."

READ MORE
Fleetwood Mac Caps Classic West With Poignant Closing Set
Undoubtedly true, though it didn't take long on Sunday night to tell who the group's true star remains. It's unfair to Buckingham, the group's brilliant sonic architect and blindlingly talented guitarist, and to unfairly oft-sidelined singer/songwriter Christine McVie, who writes choruses ("Say You Love Me," "You Make Loving Fun") as towering and structurally marvelous as the Empire State Building. But man, Stevie Nicks... she changes the temperature of the room whenver she's on, even in an open-air stadium like Citi Field. Her voice, sharp and enigmatic as ever, is a national treasure, her stage presence hasn't become one iota less captivating in over 40 years of iconicity, and her songs are just the best songs. Your heart and tear ducts fill instinctively upon hearing them, before your head can even identify the particular tune.

Whether by design or coincidence, Classic East ended up serving as something to the once-mighty power of THE BAND, as an assemblage of dynamic, versatile, occasionally overlapping talents, rather than a top-down hierarchy meant to relay a single artist's vision. And while all six groups last weekend had multiple instrumental and/or studio prodigies contributing to their greatness, it's Nicks -- one of three singers in her band, who doesn't play an instrument besides the tambourine -- who proves by far the most irreplaceable.

That is to say: During Fleetwood Mac's set, Buckingham played a solo version of 1987 top 5 hit "Big Love," that included his own lightning-speed acoustic finger-picking -- which only a handful of other guitarists on the planet would even have the balls to attempt, and which required a fixed close-up of his fingers on the big screen to prove to the crowd he was actually doing it -- and was rightly met with an appreciative ovation for his efforts. But Stevie could've gotten one of those at any point in the evening, merely by lifting her arms and feigning at a twirl. That's true stardom, and it puts Nicks in a class of one among all '70s rock acts (inside or outside of Classic East), and explains why the current generation of modern-day rock stars from Lana Del Rey to Harry Styles continue to find her so bewitching.

Stevie may be Fleetwood Mac's greatest weapon, but the band has never risked over-using her, and didn't last night, as they ended with two of Buckingham's best shredders -- the self-titled album closer "I'm So Afraid" and Rumours classic-rock staple "Go Your Own Way" -- then encored triumphantly with the McVie-written Buckingham duet "Don't Stop." Because really, Lindsey was right: It remains the unlikely combination of and chemistry between their incredible talents that makes Fleetwood Mac special. And all members still being willing to put aside decades of their storied drama in service of such fantastic music is much more important than getting to read the juicy next chapter.

BILLBOARD VIDEO
Life Lessons With Miranda Lambert | Billboard

Life Lessons With Miranda Lambert | Billboard Miranda Lambert at Faster Horses Festival 2017 Drag Queens Love Ariana Grande | Divas & Queens How It Went Down: Steve Aoki's "Night Call" "You're Safe Here" | LVRN Studios Tour Maddie & Tae at Faster Horses Festival 2017 Fifth Harmony Narrates A Brief History of '90s Girl Groups How DJ Khaled Assembled His Epic Squad for Hot 100 No. 1 Hit 'I'm the One' Ansel Elgort: One Day In Coney Island Bebe Rexha on working with Florida Georgia Line Fifth Harmony Talks About Creating Their Multi-Genre, Versatile New Album Walshy Fire narrates A Brief History of DJ Uncle Al Bobby Bones and Bailey Bryan See Who Fans Know Better | Faster Horses Festival 2017
FACEBOOK

TWITTER

EMAIL ME

by Taboola Sponsored Links From The Web
5 Dating Sites You NEED to Try
top10.me
Congress Gives Oregon Homeowners Who Owe Less Than $625k A Once-In-A-Lifetime Mortgage Bailout
Improve Mortgage Quotes
See If You're Pre-Qualified For A Citi Card
Citi
Work in Healthcare Logistics? You Can Benefit from this Whitepaper
UPS
From the WebPowered By ZergNet

The Stunning Transformation of Alicia Keys
TheList.com

Billy Ray Cyrus' Interview With Wendy Williams Was a Trainwreck
Foxnews.com

Prince's Official Cause of Death Revealed
Usmagazine.com

Adele's Incredible Transformation
TheList.com
COMMENTS
© 2017 Billboard. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy About Our Ads Advertising
Billboard.com is a member of Billboard Music, a division of Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Mediahttp://www.newsday.com/entertainment...ver-1.13878868

button-lip 07-31-2017 12:42 PM

What an offensive article! To say that one member of a band (any band) could lift a finger and that's more worthy than what the rest of the band speaks volumes about the kind of journalist that wrote it.

Lots of people were seated or bored during Rhiannon or Sara near me. The only
Stevie's song that lifted everybody up was Dreams. Granted, everybody was pretty wasted after 6 hours of concert. :nod:

jbrownsjr 07-31-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1214619)
What an offensive article! To say that one member of a band (any band) could lift a finger and that's more worthy than what the rest of the band speaks volumes about the kind of journalist that wrote it.

Stevie's song that lift everybody up was Drwams. Granted, everybody was pretty wasted after 6 hours of concert. :nod:

That's why I loved the BuckVie shows. No drama, no diva... no fake relationship. Now, some folks like that.. Which is fine.. just not for me.

Erin 07-31-2017 09:31 PM

Classic East Photos & Videos

I went to the Classic East this weekend and thought I would share my pictures and videos.

Eagles:

New York Minute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwKAiu9HJg
Life in the Fast Lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32vK3MKRto
Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVIyPQAYxNmqEZwc2

Fleetwood Mac:

Bleed to Love Her: https://youtu.be/qatVI-vv7tc (focus fixes ten to twenty seconds in)
Think About Me: https://youtu.be/CosIWhhSFzA
Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtthErnZNn9VOFJY2

bombaysaffires 07-31-2017 11:00 PM

what was the interaction between Chris and Stevie like??

Macfan4life 08-01-2017 05:20 AM

Oh wow.... great quality of Think About Me
Is Chris taking all lead vocals on the song now? It sounds really good.

button-lip 08-01-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1214637)
what was the interaction between Chris and Stevie like??

The usual. :shrug: I saw them doing the dance on Tusk and that thing they do (don't remember the song) when they touch the tambourine and the maracas. But there was much more inteaction between Christine and Lindsey than Christine and Stevie. :nod:

Netter75 08-01-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1214619)

Stevie's song that lifted everybody up was Dreams. Granted, everybody was pretty wasted after 6 hours of concert. :nod:

I didn't take it the same way. The "lift a finger" comment just praises Stevie's ability as the showgirl, with little moves like twirling able to enthrall the crowd. The others aren't on the same level in that regard but they have their own strengths. Lindsey has the power to amaze people with his brilliant, energetic guitar-playing and Christine has the power to hypnotize the crowd into singing along in unison to her ungodly catchy songs.

So I don't think he was really praising one member over another, but the band as a whole. Basically each one of them can get big crowd response for different reasons and its why the band still kicks ass today!

aleuzzi 08-01-2017 10:30 AM

Wow! The Think About Me performance was great! Christine sounded strong--and she's definitely playing organ and electric piano. Touring for two months has done her some good.

aleuzzi 08-01-2017 10:38 AM

Bored!

If FM ever makes new music as a band, then I'll be concerned about such "articles". But as long as they're only in it for the oldies, I couldn't care less what the trolls--and this is a troll disguised as a music journalist--say about twirls and stardom.

HomerMcvie 08-01-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1214620)
That's why I loved the BuckVie shows. No drama, no diva... no fake relationship. Now, some folks like that.. Which is fine.. just not for me.

Amen! Every time Stevie and Lindsey hold hands or kiss, I wanna VOMIT.

Such fake CRAP. It boggles my mind that people eat up that sh*t.

elle 08-01-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1214620)

yes!

and with BuckVie there's no need to read idiotic trolling articles complaining about not enough drama in a FM show instead of actually listening to the music.

to anyone who says they as a band are worse now than in the 80s, think why those US Festival videos were never released. or watch those videos from Tusk tour when all of them were so drunk and high that each was singing and playing their own out-of-tune version of whatever they were supposed to perform! what they are now though is more rehearsed and much much less spontaneous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1214654)
Bored!

If FM ever makes new music as a band, then I'll be concerned about such "articles". But as long as they're only in it for the oldies, I couldn't care less what the trolls--and this is a troll disguised as a music journalist--say about twirls and stardom.

lots of trolls talking about FM shows these days! it is nice that it doesn't happen as much about the BuckVie shows, although it does crop up every now and then.

button-lip 08-01-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1214656)
Amen! Every time Stevie and Lindsey hold hands or kiss, I wanna VOMIT.

Such fake CRAP. It boggles my mind that people eat up that sh*t.

Sara was SOOOO fake on the Classic East! It was so obvious! And people are like: 'Oh, look at them! The East Coast is good for them!" :shocked:

And the rest of the band had to wait for them at the beginning of the show. People started shouting because they were taking too long. They probably were fighting. :p

iamnotafraid 08-01-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1214670)
Sara was SOOOO fake on the Classic East! It was so obvious! And people are like: 'Oh, look at them! The East Coast is good for them!" :shocked:

I rarely listen to the radio but just an hour or so ago
I was listening to 96.1 The Rocket and it was two for
Tuesday. They played Rhiannon and Go Your Own Way.
Then unexpectedly the deejay mentioned the Classic East
and West Coast concerts.

He said something like, "people said they were just going
through the motions". And that "maybe they should take
some time off etc...".

Personally I don't know if time off would hurt or help their
voices. Many of those YouTube videos aren't sounding so
good.

jwd 08-01-2017 04:59 PM

Really liked that version of Think About Me.

Thanks for capturing and sharing it Erin! :thumbsup:

bombaysaffires 08-01-2017 06:34 PM

Wow Lindsey was reallllly pissed about the guitar thing in GYOW. Seemed like it was the volume on the guitar, or possibly the tuning that was off.

TheWildHeart67 08-01-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

I rarely listen to the radio but just an hour or so ago
I was listening to 96.1 The Rocket and it was two for
Tuesday. They played Rhiannon and Go Your Own Way.
Then unexpectedly the deejay mentioned the Classic East
and West Coast concerts.

He said something like, "people said they were just going
through the motions". And that "maybe they should take
some time off etc...".

Personally I don't know if time off would hurt or help their
voices. Many of those YouTube videos aren't sounding so
good.
Geez, a nice review of the show posted, and all people on the board do is bring negativity to it and argue.
Funny how some fans fight more than the actual band members..

dreamsunwind 08-01-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 (Post 1214683)
Geez, a nice review of the show posted, and all people on the board do is bring negativity to it and argue.

lol really tho.
y'all need to calm down and enjoy the shows.
never knew people could get so offended by senior citizens hugging, even if it's just for show.
calm down...they're not proposing marriage or acting out scenes from romeo and juliet.

TheWildHeart67 08-01-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

lol really tho.
y'all need to calm down and enjoy the shows.
never knew people could get so offended by senior citizens hugging, even if it's just for show.
calm down...they're not proposing marriage or acting out scenes from romeo and juliet.
For real!
I think it's pretty cool all the band members are doing well.

elle 08-01-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

you obviously think the review is nice and that's why you posted it - although not sure why in a separate thread from the one talking about the show though? if you read and respect other people's opinions, you would see that many find it highly biased, trolling, and negativity inducing, not nice. :wavey:

button-lip 08-01-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Who's fighting? :shrug:

To compare Lindsey's hard working with Stevie's lifting of a finger, and proclaming Stevie as the winner because she's a true rock star is a nice review? :shocked:

TheWildHeart67 08-01-2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

you obviously think the review is nice and that's why you posted it - although not sure why in a separate thread from the one talking about the show though? if you read and respect other people's opinions, you would see that many find it highly biased and trolling, not nice. :wavey:
Not nice? The article complimented the entire band, and the reviewer pointed out that Lindsey is one of the best guitarists around.
And how great the entire show was.
:]
I think it's fabulous that the show was well received, and love the youtube clips I have seen.
I also think it's fabulous that the Buckinhgam Mcvie album has done well and the tour is getting raves.
Not many musicians have the kind of legacy that this band continues to carry, as FM, BuckVie, or solo acts.
I don't see anything biased or trolling about it,
Have a great day.

elle 08-01-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 (Post 1214695)
I don't see anything biased or trolling about it,

considering many others obviously do, maybe trying to read and understand those concerns would help you see what all those people are talking about instead of accusing them of innexplicably fighting? :shrug::angel:

TheWildHeart67 08-01-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

considering many others obviously do, maybe trying to read and understand those concerns would help you see what all those people are talking about instead of accusing them of innexplicably fighting?
All I see is a few people pissed off about the reviewer stating that Stevie is the biggest star of the band.
So what? She is! She's had the bigger solo career and is considered a female rock icon.
Does that make her better? NO.
Christine is a treasure that wrote the most FM hits and Lindsey is one of the best guitarists ever.
The reviewer pointed out the amazing chemistry the band has when they are all together.
But the bickering will continue.
So, continue.
Or as Fm says, "Then, Play on."

jbrownsjr 08-02-2017 07:50 AM

Christine's vocals keep getting better and better. Interesting to see what they will be tonight.

TheWildHeart67 08-03-2017 12:10 PM

Classic East Festival Day Two: Fleetwood Mac steals the show

Classic East Festival Day Two: Fleetwood Mac steals the show

Keaton Bell / Red Dirt News
The inaugural Classic East Festival featured classic bands like Journey, Steely Dan, The Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac over two days.
KEATON BELL | AUGUST 2, 2017
CATEGORY: RUSTY'S MUSIC
The first night of the inaugural Classic East festival set a pretty high bar.

Between The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, and the Eagles, Saturday night was a roaring affair filled with good vibes and even better music. So it says a lot about the talent on display the following night of the festival that the quality was somehow amplified even more.

But you knew you were in for a treat the second Earth, Wind, & Fire took the stage at Citi Field. The group has always been one of the grooviest bands in the game, and watching them get down to “Shining Star” and “September” was a reminder of just how great they are. Their music is decidedly dated in the best possible way, with a song like “Boogie Wonderland” able to make you feel like you’ve been transported back in time to an episode of Soul Train.

Journey may be known more today for the hordes of drunk girls who insist on belting out “Don’t Stop Believin’” at karaoke, but that doesn’t give them nearly enough credit. They’re one of those bands whose signature song is so iconic, that it threatens to overwhelm all of their other notable hits (of which there are many). After all, who doesn’t know all the words to “Any Way You Want It” or tear up at “Open Arms”?

People without a heart, that’s who.

While lead vocalist Steve Perry left the band in 1998, they’ve been in good hands with his replacement Arnel Pineda. It may feel a bit strange given it’s not the original lineup, but Pineda’s voice is eerily similar to Perry’s to the point that it’s easy to just give in and enjoy yourself. His manic energy was a joy to behold, and he gave his all to every single song on the set-list. Ending with an encore of their sensual pop-rock ballad “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’,” Journey gave the fans exactly what they wanted.

But regardless of how kinetic Journey and Earth, Wind, & Fire were, all they did were whet the crowd’s appetite for Fleetwood Mac. While initially an English blues band in the ‘60s, the soft-rock super-group have been national treasures ever since the release of their iconic Rumours album.

And as Sunday night’s performance at Citi Field came along, it’s easy to see why they’ve amassed hundreds of millions of fans over their storied career. While the music of Fleetwood Mac is certainly mesmerizing on its own terms, a big part of its appeal has always lied in the stories behind each track and the romantic (or sexual) entanglements they’re rooted in.

Which is why you could hear the crowd gasp when the lights went out and Mick Fleetwood’s instantly-recognizable drum-beat from “The Chain” began to play. Just the sight of the five key members of the group – Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, and John McVie – was enough to illicit mass cheering before anyone had sung a single note.

What followed was two hours of bliss from a band working at the peak of their powers. Every member had their moment, with Christine belting out “You Making Loving Fun” like it was 1977 and Buckingham shredding it on his guitar during the obnoxiously superb “Tusk.”

But the real center of attention was The White Witch herself. Fleetwood Mac has always been a band filled with creative types fighting for power, but more often than not Nicks came out on top. And watching her sing “Dreams” and “Rhiannon” while wearing her signature black suede boots with a flowy shawl to match, it’s obvious why. The woman bleeds music and you feel honored watching her pour her heart out onstage, such as when she dedicated “Landslide” to the late Glenn Frey (of the Eagles).

But never one to dampen the mood, Fleetwood Mac kept the hits coming and the energy high for their entire set. In a set-list almost identical to their record-breaking On with the Show tour, the Mac managed to touch on big hits (“Everywhere”), underrated cuts (“Big Love”), and fan favorites (“Sara”). The only downside was that the condensed time-frame meant there was hardly any time for the stories and anecdotes their live shows have become so well-known for. But that’s a minor criticism for a set-list that delivered on all other fronts.

Ending the night with “Go Your Own Way” before popping out again for a fireworks-fueled encore of “Don’t Stop,” Fleetwood Mac reminded audiences what we’ve been missing. In a festival landscape that’s become a monotonous blur, Classic East stands out in terms of the level of talent on display and the sheer spectacle of the environment.

Now we can only hope that this becomes a yearly traditionhttp://www.reddirtreport.com/rustys-...ac-steals-show

TrueFaith77 08-03-2017 12:12 PM

obnoxiously superb OR superbly obnoxious ... or BOTH??!

button-lip 08-03-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1214783)
obnoxiously superb OR superbly obnoxious ... or BOTH??!

Another article whose main purpose is to put Stevie on a pedestal. Funny, because I didn't see her performance as something superior from the rest of the band. She came, she sang and she left. Just like her bandmates.

jmn3 08-03-2017 07:41 PM

A downside was the lack of stories accompanying the songs?? Yeah what a shame for those poor people to miss out on 7 minutes of the San Francisco '67 diatribe..:eek:

button-lip 08-03-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1214817)
A downside was the lack of stories accompanying the songs?? Yeah what a shame for those poor people to miss out on 7 minutes of the San Francisco '67 diatribe..:eek:

Only Stevie fans miss those sugar coated stories. So yeah, another Stevie fan journalist.

Netter75 08-03-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1214801)
Another article whose main purpose is to put Stevie on a pedestal. Funny, because I didn't see her performance as something superior from the rest of the band. She came, she sang and she left. Just like her bandmates.

I really don't understand comments like this. It'd be one thing if the author bashed Lindsey or Christine but they didn't, they just said that Stevie was a standout. Why does it bother you that someone else enjoyed her performance?

button-lip 08-03-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1214827)
I really don't understand comments like this. It'd be one thing if the author bashed Lindsey or Christine but they didn't, they just said that Stevie was a standout. Why does it bother you that someone else enjoyed her performance?

Oh, they can enjoy her performance as much as they like, I don't care. BUT you're a journalist and you're writing an article about a concert of a BAND. They clearly didn't bash Lindsey nor Christine. It's hard to do that when you don't even mention them. It was Stevie and her band and we all should feel honored, according to this journalist.

Write all you like about Stevie.... when she's on tour. When the Mac are on stage, write about the band, not about the only member you like.

They clearly were one of the many people who went to the bathroom during I'm so Afraid. So they must have missed the standing ovation. That's probably why they didn't write about it, but of course they have time to write about Stevie's boots.

aleuzzi 08-03-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1214827)

I think fans of the band are annoyed that she's gotten three raves from journalists who don't appear to know the band beyond its hits and who applaud her (and them) for doing the same thing for decades. Fans want new music and creative change. Fans want growth. Because Stevie will not record new music with the band, she has come to embody, more than any of the three songwriters, the spirit of the nostalgia tours. So it's beyond annoying for some of us when she's celebrated for the very thing that keeps the band ossified. Plus the pointedness of the three articles in singling her out as "the star" seems more evident than usual, suggesting that the motive for mentioning it at all is to undermine the LB/CM that is very visibly going on concurrently.

What appears to be straightforward praise doesn't feel so straightforward.

button-lip 08-03-2017 11:00 PM

The Classic East Magical At Citi Field Corona, NY 7-30-17

Finally someone took the time to sit and enjoy the full concert... :nod::D

The Classic East Magical At Citi Field Corona, NY 7-30-17

CrypticRock

Following the three amazing performances of The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, and the Eagles on the first day of The Classic East, many wondered how it could get any better. Well, on Sunday, July 30th, there was plenty more to be excited about as Earth, Wind & Fire, Journey, and Fleetwood Mac prepared to perform. Three more bands from the hallowed halls of Rock-n-Roll royalty, Citi Field was prepared for an equally large turn out on the final day of the two day Classic Rock festival.

On this day, the weather would be much more on par with the season as temperatures reached the mid 80s and mounds of sun beamed down from a cloudless sky. In all actuality, it would be a perfect day to head out to the ballpark to catch a game, but instead, everyone came together in the name of America’s other national pastime, Rock-n-Roll.

Running an identical format as the day prior, concert goers were permitted access into the venue just after 3:00 PM, allowing enough time to get refreshments and find their seats. With little to no lag, before anyone knew it, 5 PM arrived and on stage was the first act, Earth, Wind & Fire. Originating in Chicago, Illinois back in 1970, Earth, Wind & Fire would go on to to be one of the most successful bands of all-time. Shinier than the most polished gold coin, sharper than a sword, and filled with musical talent, this band has it all.

Selling more than 100 million records, members of the 2000 Rock and Roll of Fame class, and historic making as the first African-American act to sell out Madison Square Garden back in 1979, it seemed almost fitting Earth, Wind & Fire were back in New York City for this special event nearly four decades later. Known for their innovative mix of genres ranging from R&B to Soul, to Funk, to Jazz, to Pop, Rock and beyond, it is impossible to categorize Earth, Wind & Fire. In one breath, some may call them a Funk band, in others a Disco band, but to be fair, they are simply a very talented group of musicians celebrating the gift of sound.

Originally led by the great Maurice White, who tragically passed on in 2016, the band carries on in his honor with longtime bandmates Philip Bailey (vocals/percussion), Verdine White (bass/vocals), and Ralph Johnson (vocals/drums), along with later generation members Myron McKinley (keyboards), Philip Bailey, Jr. (backing vocals), B. David Whitworth (vocals/percussion), Morris O’Connor (guitar), Serg Dimitrijevic (guitar), as well as John Paris (drums/vocals). In addition, their horn section is currently filled out with Gary Bias on saxophone, Bobby Burns, Jr. on trumpet, and Reggie Young on trombone. That is a whole lot of members, but thankfully the stage of Classic East was big enough to hold them physically, but of course not musically.

Arriving with tons of energy, living up to their name, each member donned an eye-catching outfit to match the colorful performance. Smiling, in the groove, and simply enjoying life, they kicked off with “Shining Star” before later going into “Sing a Song,” and a great cover of the Beatles’ “Got to Get You Into My Life.” Prompting everyone to get up and move right from the start, the bass output was so full and clean, it was impossible not to feel it rumble in your chest.

Moving about the stage, interacting with the audience, as well as one another, they soon offered hit songs such as “After the Love Has Gone,” “September,” “Boogie Wonderland,” and “Let’s Groove,” with Bailey shining bright on lead vocals for “Fantasy,” before they concluded with “In the Stone.” A spark of emotion, positive vibes, and simply irresistible jams, Earth, Wind & Fire are still as much a force today as they were forty years earlier.

As the sun began to go down and spectators wiped their brow of sweat, the heat was about to rise again with Journey up next. Coming out just around the 7 PM hour, Journey would hold the honor as the heaviest band of both days combined. Founded in 1973, the once Progressive Rock leaning act soon transformed into the Hard Rock juggernaut that would attained 8 Top 40 singles in the U.S., sell out arenas, and break records for album sales. Rightfully earning their place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017, Journey are still as active and relevant as they ever were, making them a perfect pick for The Classic East.

Comprised of original Guitarist Neal Schon and Bassist Ross Valory, Journey is completed with longtime Drummer Steve Smith and Keyboardist/Guitarist Jonathan Cain, but are really glued together by their newer generation Vocalist Arnel Pineda. Yes, there is only one Mr. Steve Perry, original vocalist of Journey, but Pineda has embraced the role as the band’s frontman for over a decade now, doing a phenomenal job.

The wind beneath Journey’s wings, per say, Pineda was an adrenaline rush from the moment he came out, jolting about the stage with ease, jumping around, and even entering the crowd at one point. Fitting his enthusiasm was an array of Journey classics, starting with “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart),” “Only the Young,” as well as “Anyway You Want It.” As mentioned, heavy, and yes loud, Journey was on fire as Schon blistered on lead guitar throughout each song, and especially shined during two flawlessly placed solo.

It was not all a Hard Rock assault on the eardrums though, taking it down a notch, they dedicated the beautiful song “Lights” to Perry across the country on the west coast, out in San Francisco. Then it was off to more all-time favorites with the complements of tremendous keywork from Cain on “Open Arms” and “Who’s Crying Now” before Smith punished his kit for his own drum solo. In between it all, the band did their share of personal connecting with the audience and perhaps the most touching moment was when Cain explained the story behind “Faithfully” and its purpose. A sentiment many can relate to in one way or another, emotions ran high as the set reached its peak with “Don’t Stop Believin’.” A natural karaoke tune, Journey gave it one last go as they embraced the crowd with “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin'” before saying goodnight. Still one of the best live bands around, Journey appear to have many more years of rocking ahead of them.

With night fully set in, it left only one band to perform on the final day of The Classic East, and that was the legendary Fleetwood Mac. A band with a deeper and more complex history than most, Fleetwood Mac have overcome various obstacles to become one of the biggest Rock bands of all-time. A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1998, Fleetwood Mac has sustained breakups, reunions, breakups, and reunions again. All a part of what makes them who they are, while one might compare them to a dysfunctional family, it is the chemistry they share as songwriters which is impossible to deny.

Touring consistently in recent years, until 2014, there was a hole in the heart of the band and their fans. That hole was the important piece of the puzzle, Keyboardist/Vocalist Christine McVie. Returning to the fold for the first time since 1998, the McVie reunion with Bassist John McVie, Guitarist/Vocalist Lindsey Buckingham, Vocalist Stevie Nicks, and father of Fleetwood Mac, Drummer Mick Fleetwood has since re-energized fans worldwide. Casting off The Classic East, it would be their first performance in New York City with McVie since playing Madison Square Garden in October of 2014, thus creating a thick layer of anticipation as fans clamored in the dark.

Cutting the tension, the band assembled on stage opening with “The Chain” before immediately allowing McVie a chance to shine on “You Make Loving Fun.” One of many songs McVie took the lead on, including a special performance of “Everywhere” and “Little Lies,” other favorites included “Say You Love Me.” Taking in the overwhelming excitement from the audience, McVie graciously thanked her bandmates for allowing her to return to Fleetwood Mac, but all anyone in the audience could think was, no Christine, thank you!

A band full of individual stars that shine ever so bright, Nicks also filled the air with her ever so unique singing on “Dreams,” “Rhiannon,” and “Landslide,” where she held back tears, dedicating the latter to the Eagles’ Glenn Frey upon its conclusion. Then, of course, Buckingham rocked hard on songs including “Second Hand News” and the experimental “Tusk.” Through it all, perhaps the boldest moment for Buckingham came during his rendition of “Never Going Back Again” where he harnessed all his emotion into a song which cuts close to the bone. Clearly engulfed in the track, after completing it, Buckingham pounded his chest and absorbed the mass of cheers almost as if it was a therapeutic release for him.

It was also telling to hear Buckingham open his heart, acknowledging the band’s trials and tribulations, but saying it is not about the individuals, but how Fleetwood Mac is greater than the sum of its parts. Very true, Buckingham confessed that beneath the surface of what the public eye sees, each member of this band truly do love one another. A lot to absorb, but delightful to hear such honesty, the show moved on at a steady pace with Nicks sounding outstanding on “Gypsy” and “Gold Dust Woman” before the anthemic “Go Your Own Way” had the entire stadium chanting along. Exiting the stage momentarily, the band returned to a rousing reaction as fireworks literally exploded in the night sky following the encore of “Don’t Stop” as their grand finale.

A fantastic performance, Fleetwood Mac still have all the intangibles of what makes a great band. Always about the songs, their stage presence is real, making the music that much more effective. As for The Classic East and The Classic West, one can only hope that this is the beginning of a new tradition with future events to come each summer to follow. There are plenty of bands that could fit the bill as a part of it all, but even if this was a one time event, it created memories that will last a lifetime.

HomerMcvie 08-04-2017 12:31 AM

Some of you guys are a**holes. I love those of you who are!:D:xoxo::wavey:

elle 08-04-2017 08:36 AM

oh wow, it seems our own TheWildHeart67 is slacking on the job! isn't she/he the one who always posts yet another new thread whenever a review of Classic comes out? :confused:

............................oh wait: this one kinda singles out Christine. maybe then it's not worthy of a whoile separaate thread, or posting at all? ;)

PS button-lip thanks for posting! :wavey: i completely agree with you - when in Rome......... :angel:

TheWildHeart67 08-04-2017 02:32 PM

[QUOTEoh wow, it seems our own TheWildHeart67 is slacking on the job! isn't she/he the one who always posts yet another new thread whenever a review of Classic comes out?
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for always being so kind.

TheWildHeart67 08-04-2017 02:41 PM

Thanks for posting this, button-lip.
Another great review of our fave band.
It's great to see them still putting on great performances, together, solo, and as Buckvie.
I am really glad Christine is out of retirement. It wasn't the same without her, and she is a vital part of our 5 fireflies. She still sounds great and looks fabulous as always.