The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Most Romantic Fleetwood Mac song? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42372)

Dodfather 12-01-2009 09:32 AM

Most Romantic Fleetwood Mac song?

I was talking to my friend about wedding songs the other day (he's getting married on saturday and I'm best man) and I got to thinking about what Mac ones would work.

The thing is, although so many of their songs are about each other, they're not often very romantic! As amazing as Silver Springs, Storms and others are, they wouldn;t work at a wedding cos the sentiment is just a bit wrong - haha! Unless they were being funny, which I'd love...

So I got to thinking, what is the most sright out, romantic love song that the Rumours line up have done? Not snarling at each other but actually being romantic?

I came up with one answer, which I want at my wedding...

It has to be Crystal. Just beautiful!!

Thoughts??

Sanne2 12-01-2009 09:43 AM

I agree with Crystal.
Songbird would be an obvious and lame choice (Tomkat wedding :rolleyes:) but a lot of Christine's songs would be suitable for a wedding.

Gailh 12-01-2009 09:48 AM

I would say Songbird even if it is a bit obvious

Other than that Brown Eyes springs to mind although that is probably more sexy than romantic

Most of Christine's songs are quite romantic

Gail

JohnL 12-01-2009 11:02 AM

For me...

it has to be As Long as You Follow. It is a beautiful romantic song with awesome harmonies.

FMlex 12-01-2009 11:21 AM

Like it's already been said, can't go wrong with "Crystal" or "Songbird."

sjpdg 12-01-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 857717)
I was talking to my friend about wedding songs the other day (he's getting married on saturday and I'm best man) and I got to thinking about what Mac ones would work.

The thing is, although so many of their songs are about each other, they're not often very romantic! As amazing as Silver Springs, Storms and others are, they wouldn;t work at a wedding cos the sentiment is just a bit wrong - haha! Unless they were being funny, which I'd love...

So I got to thinking, what is the most sright out, romantic love song that the Rumours line up have done? Not snarling at each other but actually being romantic?

Thoughts??

My wife and I had both "Songbird" and "As Long As You Follow" played at our wedding reception. "Songbird" was played as the last dance song for the reception (obvious I know, but fitting), and "As Long As You Follow" was played during the dinner.

jbrownsjr 12-01-2009 12:22 PM

Go Your Own Way? lol

WarmSir3 12-01-2009 12:42 PM

Possibly Warm Ways, although I agree completely with Crystal.

Or Big Love :woohoo:

dnightshade 12-01-2009 12:50 PM

This is a really good question. Our picks (in no particular order):

Save Me A Place
Songbird
Sara (of course)

Ulpian 12-01-2009 02:03 PM

Romantic? I'd say probably As Long As You Follow.

mylittledemon 12-01-2009 02:03 PM

At the reception we played "Bleed to Love Her" from Say You Will and I also had "Stephanie" in there from Buckingham Nicks.

I think "Say You Love Me" might have been in there also. The rest of the Mac tunes didnt seem... appropriate (?) for wedding songs. But hell, it's your wedding, play what you want. ;)

BellaDonna93 12-01-2009 02:31 PM

I agree that Crystal is one of the most romantic songs...:D It's a perfect wedding song!

paleshadow 12-01-2009 04:34 PM

I need your love so bad.

Josh2003 12-01-2009 05:07 PM

Warm Ways, absolutely. Romantic AND sexy.

Neb-Maat-Re 12-01-2009 05:23 PM

You'll say I'm a silly boy, but:

Only Over You

mylittledemon 12-01-2009 06:59 PM

Oh yeah, we also played the live version of "At Last" that Stevie did

ragrsrocalot 12-01-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh2003 (Post 857814)
Warm Ways, absolutely. Romantic AND sexy.

Agreed 100%:thumbsup:

aleuzzi 12-01-2009 08:16 PM

Never Forget, Wish You Were Here, Storms, Beautiful Child, Songbird,Over My Head, You Make Loving Fun...Just some ones that come to mind.

Lindsey's "Remember the Rain" would go in there too, if he'd recorded it with the band.

SteveMacD 12-01-2009 09:43 PM

AVOID FLEETWOOD MAC SONGS, REGARDLESS OF ERA, AT WEDDINGS!!!

EVERY wedding I've ever been to that has had a Fleetwood Mac song played has ended in divorce.

David 12-01-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re (Post 857820)
You'll say I'm a silly boy, but:

Only Over You

Ooh, I like that one!

How about "Rattlesnake Shake" for generating sublime romance at a wedding?

mylittledemon 12-01-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 857887)

EVERY wedding I've ever been to that has had a Fleetwood Mac song played has ended in divorce.

:lol:

Way to encourage them to break the mold. ;)

Dodfather 12-02-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 857846)
Oh yeah, we also played the live version of "At Last" that Stevie did

Demon - yet again we agree! At Last will be at my wedding, I LOVE Stevie's version, it's gorgeous. I just didn;t include it because I was thinking of Mac songs in general

I had forgotten about As Long As You Follw (shocking!) but yeah, it would work but, although the sentiment is right, I jus can't stand Warm Ways so that one wouldn't be for me.

daniellaaarisen 12-02-2009 03:08 PM

Fleetwood Mac's "Crystal" will be my wedding song. The last song played that night will be the Practical Magic version.

"Crystal" is in my top five Mac songs ever.

Sahara 12-07-2009 02:49 PM

Beautiful Child is romantic but a bit sad for a wedding.
Bleed to Love Her is my personal choice. There's a real longing and devotion in the lyrics and the melody. As long as you don't think too hard about the title ;)

wheart 12-07-2009 08:42 PM

Just off the top of my head:

Over & Over
Sara
Steal Your Heart Away
Save Me a Place

the whole Tusk album has some major romantic stuff going on...

sherhiannon 12-08-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 857717)

Thoughts??

I walked down the aisle to Crystal and it was perfect :)

Richard B 12-08-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 857887)

Hahaha. Every wedding I've ever been to ended in divorce, with or without a FM song played at the wedding.

AVOID WEDDINGS and MARRIAGE.

APerfectLie 12-09-2009 01:34 PM

Okay, so everyone who says "crystal", are you referring to the Fleetwood Mac version with Lindsey doing lead vocals or Stevie's version?? I love Crystal, but the Fleetwood Mac version of it drives me insane because I just cannot stand Lindsey doing the lead vocals.

Sleepless-Child 12-09-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Okay, so everyone who says "crystal", are you referring to the Fleetwood Mac version with Lindsey doing lead vocals or Stevie's version?? I love Crystal, but the Fleetwood Mac version of it drives me insane because I just cannot stand Lindsey doing the lead vocals.
I actually prefer it when Lindsey's singing, but that's just me. I would have loved to hear a Stevie version from 1974, when her voice was at her best.
Anyway, I love this song :)

justanotherliar 12-10-2009 06:21 AM

Only Over You is indeed beautiful, but for me Over and Over just about nudges Brown Eyes into second place. The version on the "Live" album has the most gorgeous harmonies and some delicious understated guitar playing and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end!

WarmSir3 12-10-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APerfectLie (Post 859103)

I love Crystal but only with both their voices, the Fleetwood Mac version is incredible with the harmonies! You can bearly hear Stevie on the original however, and I'm not a fan of the Practical Magic version due to the lack of Lindsey.

tilthefirefades 12-12-2009 03:30 PM

you truly could list pretty much all of christine's songs, but what about "love in store" or "hold me", or even "think about me"?

BellaDonna 12-16-2009 06:54 PM

I love "Crystal", "As Long As You Follow" & "Songbird"..

(But I had "Leather & Lace at my wedding :) I know it's not a *FM song* just wanted to throw that in there.. hehe) ;)

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-13-2016 01:26 PM

My pick goes to Over and Over.

jbrownsjr 05-13-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ (Post 1183432)
My pick goes to Over and Over.

I've been obsessing over this song for months!!

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-13-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1183435)
I've been obsessing over this song for months!!

I've been obsessed with it since 1979.... :D

FuzzyPlum 05-13-2016 02:58 PM

Come a Littel Bit Closer, Wish You Were Here, As Long As You Follow, Mystified, Warm Ways, Songbird... take your pick of romantic CM songs.
Edit: just remembered 'The Way I Feel' ...add it to the list.
Over and Over is lovely and very romantic... but I don't think it would work for a wedding (see OP). Too many guests would be asking 'why are they playing a song about it being over (and over)?' I know thats not what she's intending to be saying but I often think she's singing about a relationship being over.

Newzchspy 05-13-2016 03:08 PM

Warm Ways..........................

Has the same affect on ladies as a good old Barry White song :)

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-13-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newzchspy (Post 1183446)
Warm Ways..........................

Has the same affect on ladies as a good old Barry White song :)

Warm Ways is a quintessential Christine McVie song. :)

Newzchspy 05-13-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ (Post 1183447)
Warm Ways is a quintessential Christine McVie song. :)

Back to Back "Songbird" and " Warm Ways" is like greasing the skids :):)