The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unearthed Live at the 1982 Us Festival Videos (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57147)

SisterNightroad 05-06-2017 02:31 PM

Unearthed Live at the 1982 Us Festival Videos
 
Gloria in excelsis Deo, yesterday this youtube channel called fleetwoodmacVEVO posted the unseen performance of The Chain at the Us festival of 1982:


FuzzyPlum 05-06-2017 02:57 PM

Damn, damn, damn good. They look completely off their faces.

SisterNightroad 05-06-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1209078)
Damn, damn, damn good. They look completely off their faces.

I know! And when the infamous documentary will be out we'll have a remastered HQ version of it! I want to see even the sweat dripping from their foreheads.

24karatstevie 05-06-2017 03:21 PM

Ohmygod This Is So Exciting!

Macfan4life 05-06-2017 04:57 PM

OMG
THIS IS AMAZING
Never thought we would see this!!!!!!!
A bit sloppy and funny at 5:35 when Stevie misses her cue and is on the other side of the stage when "Chain keep us together" part

BLY 05-06-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209086)
OMG
THIS IS AMAZING
Never thought we would see this!!!!!!!
A bit sloppy and funny at 5:35 when Stevie misses her cue and is on the other side of the stage when "Chain keep us together" part




I loved the Mirage/1982 tour so rock and roll just the 5 of them no back up band.

tango87 05-06-2017 05:24 PM

Wonderful to see this. Looking forward to more with the festival doc.

There must be so much footage from throughout the years out there somewhere.

Having said that, it's a bit of a mess, isn't it? What with Stevie missing her cue, and whatever happens in John's bass solo - it sounds like he comes in on the wrong beat, and Mick almost restarts, or something. The sound is not so good - Lindsey solo is very hard to hear...

However, I am grateful for anything!

James89 05-06-2017 06:41 PM

Wow. The Mirage tour was just a competition between Stevie and Lindsey to see which one could be the loudest! Such a great video. They all looked and sounded totally drugged up but it makes for great entertainment.

button-lip 05-06-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James89 (Post 1209092)
Wow. The Mirage tour was just a competition between Stevie and Lindsey to see which one could be the loudest! Such a great video. They all looked and sounded totally drugged up but it makes for great entertainment.

Mick is the worst. He couldn't be more drugged up than he already was. That face! :lol:

Never seen Stevie missing her cue. First one for me! :lol::lol:

BombaySapphire3 05-06-2017 07:14 PM

So glad I got to see them on that tour..the end of an era for the Rumours five live shows no doubt.

jmn3 05-06-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tango87 (Post 1209088)
Having said that, it's a bit of a mess, isn't it?

I think a lot of the Mirage tour was just that, a bit of a mess. And I think it's exactly why I find it so endearing!

Despite the sound issue and the f-ups (for a few seconds there with John's bass solo you just expect the whole song to fall apart and come to a screeching halt!) this stuff is great and I hope we get to see the whole show at some point.

It really is a shame that they just plopped the Mirage Tour Video audio on to the end of the Deluxe release instead of a proper full show (or at least a full set from several shows a la the Tusk Deluxe version).

secondhandchain 05-06-2017 07:41 PM

Wow are they coked up in this one!

BombaySapphire3 05-06-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1209097)
Wow are they coked up in this one!

it's 1982 and it is Fleetwood Mac:shrug:

aleuzzi 05-06-2017 07:57 PM

It's a mess, but a hypnotic one.

John REALLY messes up a basic repetitive part, Stevie misses her cue and over songs and shouts over everyone, Mick looks completely blottoed but musically keeps it all together. Chris and Lindsey are probably coked out, too, but you can't really tell.

dreamsunwind 05-06-2017 09:07 PM

Honestly this one is not that good, especially compared to the one that was from the Mirage tour video. Stevie is overdoing it, Lindsey's head shake thing/mannerisms is kinda distracting and everything in general is kinda messy. Still great to see tho.

Wdm6789 05-06-2017 09:29 PM

Ahh this was awesome. Obviously the HBO one is much better, but this was still awesome to watch. They're all coked and drunk in the hot ass desert in early September. They're definitely sloppy, but it adds to the awesomeness. This give us hope that videos of their other songs from the US festival might be out there somewhere also.

Macfan4life 05-07-2017 09:23 AM

Its pure rock concert greatness in excesses of the 80's. I have always said that 1982 was an end of an era for the Mac. This clip is a rock concert. Nothing like this would ever happen again. This was before back ground singers, programmed keyboards, and additional musicians. Its sloppy and spontaneous. Its rock concert goodness. Sadly today the music is precisely like the studio version because of technology and its so rehearsed. This is raw and its fantastic. The Mac was never the same again after this tour.

vivfox 05-07-2017 10:11 AM

Thank you sisternightroad for finding this gem. I loved it in all its rawness.Please dear God allow more live Fleetwood Mac videos to resurface from the years 1975-1982. Especially the live Rhiannon's from the Tusk tour!

HomerMcvie 05-07-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209110)
Its pure rock concert greatness in excesses of the 80's. I have always said that 1982 was an end of an era for the Mac. This clip is a rock concert. Nothing like this would ever happen again. This was before back ground singers, programmed keyboards, and additional musicians. Its sloppy and spontaneous. Its rock concert goodness. Sadly today the music is precisely like the studio version because of technology and its so rehearsed. This is raw and its fantastic. The Mac was never the same again after this tour.

This.

I agree completely! I HATE all the additional musicians now. WHO decided that it just wasn't enough, them with Ray occasionally adding an acoustic guitar?

I'd certainly guess that all the backup singers was Stevie's idea. Then I'd guess that led to more fattening.... BLECK!

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1209112)
Thank you sisternightroad for finding this gem. I loved it in all its rawness.Please dear God allow more live Fleetwood Mac videos to resurface from the years 1975-1982. Especially the live Rhiannon's from the Tusk tour!

Actually I've seen it on Danielle's Stevie and FM Blog/Facebook Page.

Later this year also the Us Festival Documentary with FM full set should come out, let's hope it doesn't get delayed.

Wdm6789 05-07-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209115)
Actually I've seen it on Danielle's Stevie and FM Blog/Facebook Page.

Later this year also the Us Festival Documentary with FM full set should come out, let's hope it doesn't get delayed.


I remember seeing on the Facebook page that only The Chain and Gypsy were going to be in the documentary.

Wdm6789 05-07-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1209114)
This.

I agree completely! I HATE all the additional musicians now. WHO decided that it just wasn't enough, them with Ray occasionally adding an acoustic guitar?

I'd certainly guess that all the backup singers was Stevie's idea. Then I'd guess that led to more fattening.... BLECK!


It would have been awesome if Lindsey did the Tango tour and it was still just the five of them and they actually have live videos of it, not the reenacted performances with occasional stock audience shots added in.

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1209117)
I remember seeing on the Facebook page that only The Chain and Gypsy were going to be in the documentary.

The full performances of many bands will be featured in the DVD extras.

elle 05-07-2017 11:47 AM

definitely interesting to see, especially for fans of the band. definitely the last real tour of the Rumours era band, before the dissipation, the comeback and nostalgia act phases.

Macfan4life 05-07-2017 12:39 PM

Stevie has such big wide open coke eyes right at the end of the second verse. I love how she laughs when she misses her cue. Usually she is not phased by such a thing but its great to see her have fun. Lindsey has absolutely NO eye contact with Stevie. That HBO stuff was a put on for TV :)

gldstwmn 05-07-2017 01:28 PM

Oh man. This is Fleetwood Mac at their booze and chemical infused best. Stevie with the tambourine on her head like a halo is priceless. I really hope that US Festival film gets finished and released. Thanks for sharing.

gldstwmn 05-07-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1209102)
Honestly this one is not that good, especially compared to the one that was from the Mirage tour video.

Yes but that was filmed over two shows and produced. This is the real deal and that's what makes it great.

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209124)
Stevie has such big wide open coke eyes right at the end of the second verse. I love how she laughs when she misses her cue. Usually she is not phased by such a thing but its great to see her have fun. Lindsey has absolutely NO eye contact with Stevie. That HBO stuff was a put on for TV :)

Actually this recorded show was a much bigger deal for them than the HBO special.

Stevie also said that for this gig since it was so important they had remained relatively sober: https://books.google.it/books?id=JLf...ugs%22&f=false
However she also said later in her career that "sober" for her/them meant only alcohol and maybe a bit of pot.
The main thing I think was the fear, everyone including Stevie for her performance of the following year said that such an unprecedented big show with so many people was very unnerving.

Wdm6789 05-07-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209120)
The full performances of many bands will be featured in the DVD extras.


Are we able to purchase the DVD with extras if we didn't donate to the kickstarter?

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1209131)
Are we able to purchase the DVD with extras if we didn't donate to the kickstarter?

I don't know for sure how it will be, if you want to ask directly to director Aveni you can do it here:https://www.facebook.com/usfestmovie/?hc_ref=SEARCH

What I can tell you is that he said that the documentary will have no song performances but only brief clips here and there because it is a documentary. But the DVD will have additional content or "extra" that will be full performance from the bands that participated. When asked by me if FM full performance will be featured he confirmed.

Macfan4life 05-07-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209127)
Actually this recorded show was a much bigger deal for them than the HBO special.

Stevie also said that for this gig since it was so important they had remained relatively sober: https://books.google.it/books?id=JLf...ugs%22&f=false
However she also said later in her career that "sober" for her/them meant only alcohol and maybe a bit of pot.
The main thing I think was the fear, everyone including Stevie for her performance of the following year said that such an unprecedented big show with so many people was very unnerving.

I'm confused by your post. I was not comparing the importance of the gigs. I was pointing out how different the HBO Chain is with Stevie and Lindsey staring eachother down. On this clip, Lindsey acts like Stevie does not even exist.
Relatively sober? I don't think so. I don't care what some link says. In these days almost every rock band played drunk and high on stage. We know that this time Mick and Stevie were losing control with their substance abuse. Stevie was so hot so she could mask it a bit more. I saw Stevie live on her solo tour only 1 year after this performance and she was so high she lost control of her performances some.
So I take any statement from her with a grain of salt claiming to be relatively sober at the US Festival. Yeah ok right ;)

button-lip 05-07-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1209114)
This.

I agree completely! I HATE all the additional musicians now. WHO decided that it just wasn't enough, them with Ray occasionally adding an acoustic guitar?

I guess it was a joint decision. My guess would be first of all, Stevie, but I think they all took some advantage of all the circus sorrounding them.


Quote:

I'd certainly guess that all the backup singers was Stevie's idea. Then I'd guess that led to more fattening.... BLECK!
Didn't she recruited Sharon on Hawaii or somewhere else? I can't remember. It certainly was her idea. :)

button-lip 05-07-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1209118)
It would have been awesome if Lindsey did the Tango tour and it was still just the five of them and they actually have live videos of it, not the reenacted performances with occasional stock audience shots added in.

Yeah, and all those Stevie's close-ups that make no sense at all, and that certainly Lindsey would have never approved had he been there.

button-lip 05-07-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209124)
Stevie has such big wide open coke eyes right at the end of the second verse. I love how she laughs when she misses her cue. Usually she is not phased by such a thing but its great to see her have fun. Lindsey has absolutely NO eye contact with Stevie. That HBO stuff was a put on for TV :)

Pretty much like today. Lindsey looks at Stevie during concerts only when he has too. The rest of the time he fools around with Christine and Mick. And the audience.

button-lip 05-07-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209135)
Relatively sober? I don't think so. I don't care what some link says. In these days almost every rock band played drunk and high on stage. We know that this time Mick and Stevie were losing control with their substance abuse. Stevie was so hot so she could mask it a bit more. I saw Stevie live on her solo tour only 1 year after this performance and she was so high she lost control of her performances some.
So I take any statement from her with a grain of salt claiming to be relatively sober at the US Festival. Yeah ok right ;)

Glad to hear from someone who actually saw her live during those days. Knowing her substance abuse at that time, it was hard for me to believe she never lost it on stage.

And I always claim any of her statement with a grain of salt. She should learn to shut her mouth once in a while.

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209135)
I'm confused by your post. I was not comparing the importance of the gigs. I was pointing out how different the HBO Chain is with Stevie and Lindsey staring each other down. On this clip, Lindsey acts like Stevie does not even exist.
Relatively sober? I don't think so. I don't care what some link says. In these days almost every rock band played drunk and high on stage. We know that this time Mick and Stevie were losing control with their substance abuse. Stevie was so hot so she could mask it a bit more. I saw Stevie live on her solo tour only 1 year after this performance and she was so high she lost control of her performances some.
So I take any statement from her with a grain of salt claiming to be relatively sober at the US Festival. Yeah ok right ;)

I was simply pointing out that a "put on for TV" as you mentioned should have been much more functional for them at the Us festival than the HBO show, then I said that probably they were (also) probably very unnerved by the size of the event, hence their missteps, I don't see what's confusing about it.
I am confused by the rest of your post too, I was not saying that they didn't take any drugs for the event nor the link I posted, I just posted the link to an interesting article with interviews to the Us Festivals performers that pertained to the matter, if you're not interested in reading it then you're free to do so.

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1209140)
Knowing her substance abuse at that time, it was hard for me to believe she never lost it on stage.

During the Rumours Tour on more than one date she had to be pulled up by the security guards because she kept falling from the stage, you can find it in a few paper reviews from the time.

BombaySapphire3 05-07-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209144)
During the Rumours Tour on more than one date she had to be pulled up by the security guards because she kept falling from the stage, you can find it in a few paper reviews from the time.

One of the Rolling Stone reviews of one of their Rumours tour shows described her as staggering around the stage like a drunken sailor.

button-lip 05-07-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209144)
During the Rumours Tour on more than one date she had to be pulled up by the security guards because she kept falling from the stage, you can find it in a few paper reviews from the time.

Really?! I didn't know it, but then again it's not that hard to believe. Thanks! I'll do some research tonight. :)

Macfan4life 05-07-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1209141)
I was simply pointing out that a "put on for TV" as you mentioned should have been much more functional for them at the Us festival than the HBO show, then I said that probably they were (also) probably very unnerved by the size of the event, hence their missteps, I don't see what's confusing about it.
I am confused by the rest of your post too, I was not saying that they didn't take any drugs for the event nor the link I posted, I just posted the link to an interesting article with interviews to the Us Festivals performers that pertained to the matter, if you're not interested in reading it then you're free to do so.

The US Festival had a huge crowd but outside the crowd no one saw it. HBO was pumped into millions of homes around the world. You had Fleetwood Mac live in concert on your TV channel. This is what hooked me as a fan. The HBO show was so much more important than the US Festival. Bands did the US Festival for the money. The Mac was paid $200k (I believe) which was an outrageous amount of money back then for one show.
The HBO special was also broadcast on VHS tape, laser disc (gosh remember them), and regular TV channels in addition to be played on MTV. I taped the concert several times on different channels over the years. I also rented the concert at the local VHS rental place (before Blockbuster). I don't think you can compare the events for audiences that viewed them. So that is understandable Stevie did not wear a tambourine on her head and they were not partying so hard like they were at the US Festival.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved