The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guitar free (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57996)

secret love 06-27-2018 03:27 PM

Guitar free

Is being guitar free such a bad thing? I'm not talking about Lindsey. I'm talking about his instrument? Why were they so self conscious about the dark possibility of being a piano band? They have some great piano songs: Hold Me, Angel, Sisters of the Moon, Sara, Songbird, Game of Pretend. That's one third of the set right there. Why was it never even considered that the foursome could be great? :nod:

sasja 06-27-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1231760)
Is being guitar free such a bad thing? I'm not talking about Lindsey. I'm talking about his instrument? Why were they so self conscious about the dark possibility of being a piano band? They have some great piano songs: Hold Me, Angel, Sisters of the Moon, Sara, Songbird, Game of Pretend. That's one third of the set right there. Why was it never even considered that the foursome could be great? :nod:

Because without the energy of the guitar I think the chances of slipping into a sleepy lounge act are 90 %. IMHO.

BLY 06-27-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1231760)

......as the great band Heart sings...Never....Never!

secret love 06-27-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1231769)
......as the great band Heart sings...Never....Never!

If the intent was simply to replace the guitar (and clearly it wasn't), they could have brought Mike in on his own. He is not a singer, so he would be there for instrumental purposes only, to play guitar on Stevie and Chris's songs.
However, they thought they could replace Buckingham's voice as well as his guitar. There, I agree, NEVER!

dreamsunwind 06-27-2018 07:36 PM

Because they're supposed to be a rock band. You can't be much of a rock band without guitar.

secret love 06-27-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1231772)
Because they're supposed to be a rock band. You can't be much of a rock band without guitar.

They can still rock without Neil, surely?

SteveMacD 06-27-2018 08:17 PM

Fleetwood Mac has always been a guitar band. The band’s history is defined by who the guitarist was at a particular point in time: Peter Green, Bob Welch, Lindsey Buckingham, Billy Burnette, Lindsey Buckingham (reprise), and now Mike Campbell.

DownOnRodeo 06-27-2018 08:33 PM

Tambourine Woman

Sara with just piano and no guitar? Blech.

Or maybe you just meant no lead guitar.

They'd at least need rhythm, which Christine could do. In fact, give Christine an accordion as well. Even better, just dress her up in one of those one-man-band contraptions that Dick Van Dyke wore in Mary Poppins.

And Stevie could be in charge of piano duties.

It'll be an evening you'll never forget--however hard you try!

HomerMcvie 06-27-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1231775)
Fleetwood Mac has always been a guitar band. The band’s history is defined by who the guitarist was at a particular point in time: Peter Green, Bob Welch, Lindsey Buckingham, Billy Burnette, Lindsey Buckingham (reprise), and now Mike Campbell.

I think you mean Rick Vito, in referencing Billy.

Billy was the Neil Finn of that lineup.

dreamsunwind 06-27-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1231773)
They can still rock without Neil, surely?

Neil wasn't really brought in for the purpose of guitar playing as much as because Mike doesn't sing. Mike was a done deal but they still would need a male lead singer since that's way too essential to their songs to lose.

SteveMacD 06-27-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1231781)
I think you mean Rick Vito, in referencing Billy.

Billy was the Neil Finn of that lineup.

But he defines the 87-95 years. Bob was basically the Neil Finn to Kirwan and then Weston.

ETA: I guess I define the eras by who sings “Oh Well.”

SteveMacD 06-27-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1231782)
Neil wasn't really brought in for the purpose of guitar playing as much as because Mike doesn't sing. Mike was a done deal but they still would need a male lead singer since that's way too essential to their songs to lose.

Mike sings a lot like Tom Petty.

HomerMcvie 06-27-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1231787)
But he defines the 87-95 years. Bob was basically the Neil Finn to Kirwan and then Weston.

ETA: I guess I define the eras by who sings “Oh Well.”

Because the singer is the face. But he wasn't the VERY talented guitar player. I saw Rick a few months ago, and he was still smoking hot!

HomerMcvie 06-27-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1231788)
Mike sings a lot like Tom Petty.

Is that meant to be a compliment?:D

SteveMacD 06-28-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1231790)
Because the singer is the face. But he wasn't the VERY talented guitar player. I saw Rick a few months ago, and he was still smoking hot!

I’ve long maintained Rick was the best guitarist they ever had from a technical standpoint. Not the most original and not someone who could be a driving force within the context of the band as it was, which is a shame. I think he got screwed worse in some ways than Lindsey. Not only did they not put Rick’s best songs on the album, they only gave him one song of his own, and it was probably the weakest one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1231791)
Is that meant to be a compliment?:D

:laugh:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.