The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Who Wrote "Without You" (Coffee Plant demo)? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=41075)

cbBen 07-24-2009 01:05 AM

Who Wrote "Without You" (Coffee Plant demo)?

Does anyone know who wrote this song -- Stevie or Lindsey? I recall reading somewhere that Stevie did but want confirmation. Great song regardless.

goldustsongbird 07-24-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 832626)
Does anyone know who wrote this song -- Stevie or Lindsey? I recall reading somewhere that Stevie did but want confirmation. Great song regardless.

Buckinghamnicks.net: Written & Sung by S. Nicks and L. Buckingham

cbBen 07-26-2009 03:31 AM

Thanks!

It's curious because per Stevie they never co-wrote (ergot her being upset when she found Lindsey in the studio writing World Turning with Christine).

Frozen Love was not a co-write in the sense that they did not work together on the writing. Lindsey earned his co-writing credit with his remarkable musical contribution.

LukeA 07-27-2009 01:46 AM

The lyrics are (IMO) obviously Stevie. The music (however minimal)- who knows.

CADreaming 07-27-2009 06:50 AM

I don't think it's confirmed this was a "co-write".

David 07-29-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 833209)
I don't think it's confirmed this was a "co-write".

Yes, I'd like to hear more about the confirmation of that. I had no idea either singer had ever discussed it. As far as I know, it first showed up on "Almanac" around 1979, & that bootleg vinyl provided no clue.

Same goes for calling the whole batch the "coffee plant demos."

In my opinion, the chord progression seems well beyond Stevie by herself. The minor 7ths in "Cathouse Blues" also seem unlike her.

chiliD 07-29-2009 11:43 AM

Ahhh...if it weren't for the "(Coffee Plant Demo)" portion of the title, I was going to be a smart ass & say...

"Pete Ham & Tom Evans"

(of course, referring to the Badfinger song that Harry Nilsson covered and made into a huge hit)

PenguinHead 07-29-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 833540)
Ahhh...if it weren't for the "(Coffee Plant Demo)" portion of the title, I was going to be a smart ass & say...

"Pete Ham & Tom Evans"

(of course, referring to the Badfinger song that Harry Nilsson covered and made into a huge hit)

I love Badfinger, especially their songs "No Matter What" and "Day After Day." The latter of which could have been a Christine McVie song.

snicksfan85 08-03-2009 01:59 AM

According to the US Copyright Office, it's Stevie and Welsh Witch Music.

cbBen 08-03-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snicksfan85 (Post 834221)
According to the US Copyright Office, it's Stevie and Welsh Witch Music.

Many thanks!

chiliD 08-03-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 833632)
I love Badfinger, especially their songs "No Matter What" and "Day After Day." The latter of which could have been a Christine McVie song.

No, couldn't be..."me" isn't in the title. :D;):laugh:

PenguinHead 08-03-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 834250)
No, couldn't be..."me" isn't in the title. :D;):laugh:

It could modified! That song so suites her style and voice both musically and lyrically.

Me Day After Day

Day After Day Me

Day After Me Day

Day Me After Day

elle 11-01-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 833530)
Yes, I'd like to hear more about the confirmation of that. I had no idea either singer had ever discussed it. As far as I know, it first showed up on "Almanac" around 1979, & that bootleg vinyl provided no clue.

Same goes for calling the whole batch the "coffee plant demos."

In my opinion, the chord progression seems well beyond Stevie by herself. The minor 7ths in "Cathouse Blues" also seem unlike her.

i sometimes wonder whether many of the BN era songs that made it to FM albums were really cowrites with Lindsey writing a lot of music, but he never cared to demand a credit.

kinda similar to him being a producer or co-producer on Rumours and expecting the band would be fair, recognize his work and give him producing credit, but they never did.

cbBen 11-01-2018 09:54 PM

"Without You" credited to Stevie Nicks on Extended Play: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extend...etwood_Mac_EP)

bombaysaffires 11-02-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1242992)
i sometimes wonder whether many of the BN era songs that made it to FM albums were really cowrites with Lindsey writing a lot of music, but he never cared to demand a credit.

kinda similar to him being a producer or co-producer on Rumours and expecting the band would be fair, recognize his work and give him producing credit, but they never did.

he's said this in interviews, that many songs really should have been listed as co-writes. I can't recall if I heard it on something with RedBeard or Johnny Walker.......