The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Keith Olsen passed away (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58878)

elle 03-09-2020 08:01 PM

Keith Olsen died

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ac...ions-has-died/

Acclaimed Producer KEITH OLSEN, Who Has Worked With OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE And SCORPIONS, Has Died
March 9, 2020
Play Scorpions
on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad)

Acclaimed American producer Keith Olsen, who has worked with such artists as OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE, SCORPIONS and WARRANT, has passed away.

Olsen's death was confirmed by SCORPIONS, who wrote on their Facebook page earlier today (Monday, March 9): "We just learned about the passing of our dear friend and producer Keith Olsen. Keith produced many iconic albums, including our album 'Crazy World'. Keith was a wonderful guy, and the making of 'Crazy World' was such an inspiring journey, containing outstanding songs like 'Wind Of Change' and 'Send Me An Angel', which had the Keith Olsen touch, on every single note. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family. RIP, Keith. You live on in the music."

According to Wikipedia, Olsen was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and went to school in Minneapolis, where he developed an appreciation for classical, pop, and jazz music. He gained production experience working in recording studios in the Minneapolis area, and musical and touring experience playing upright bass in jazz and folk bands. He subsequently played bass as a member of the MUSIC MACHINE, which had a hit with the single "Talk Talk". During this time he began collaborating with Curt Boettcher, producer of THE ASSOCIATION's single "Cherish", and met another early influence, Brian Wilson of THE BEACH BOYS, who taught him "to envision everything about a production as you hear the song the first time."

After moving to Los Angeles, he was instrumental in launching the careers of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. He helped them to secure a record deal, produced their first album, "Buckingham Nicks", and let them live in his house, employing Nicks as a housekeeper for a while. After introducing them to Mick Fleetwood, he went on to produce FLEETWOOD MAC's eponymous 1975 album, which reached No. 1 in the U.S.

Through the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, Olsen earned more than 39 gold, 24 platinum, and 14 multi-platinum album certifications as the producer on over 100 albums, including BAD COMPANY, EUROPE, 38 SPECIAL, SAMMY HAGAR, FOREIGNER, JOURNEY, LOVERBOY and LOU GRAMM. He was also involved in several movie soundtracks, including "Footloose", "Vision Quest", "Tron", "Flashdance" and "Top Gun".

Tags: scorpions

Posted in: News

bombaysaffires 03-09-2020 08:04 PM

Keith Olsen passed away

Another loss in the FM circle.

Reports are appearing that Keith Olsen (producer of BN album and the FM with album) has died.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-olsen-dead/

Acclaimed record producer Keith Olsen has died.

Though he may best be remembered for his work alongside Fleetwood Mac, the prolific music veteran teamed with a long list of artists over the course of his career, contributing to many legendary releases. Olsen's age and cause of death have not been revealed.

The Scorpions, whose 1990 LP Crazy World was produced by Olsen, were among the first to report the producer’s death. In a post to the band’s official Twitter page, the group called their fallen collaborator a “wonderful guy” who will “live on in the music.”

Born in Sioux Falls, S.D., Olsen cut his teeth in the Minneapolis music scene. He collaborated with a variety of acts from the area, eventually becoming the bass player for the Music Machine, a group best-known for their 1966 hit “Talk Talk.”

By the late ‘60s, Olsen relocated to Los Angeles, eventually becoming an engineer at the iconic Sound City Studios. "I had enough electronic training in college to know what's going on underneath the desk, enough musical training to know what should be going on top of the desk and on the other side of the glass,” the producer would later recall. “And then these opportunities to go start working with some bands started coming in.”

The first of those opportunities came with a couple of fledgling musicians, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Olsen produced the duo’s self-titled 1973 LP, noting how special the artists sounded together. "There was a timbre that happened when the two voices would join that was unique,” Olsen explained. “You never heard that before. And I don't think you've heard it since. Those two voices sing like that and sound like that for a reason-they were meant to sing together."

In 1974, Mick Fleetwood chose Sound City to record the next Fleetwood Mac album. While visiting the studio, Olsen played Fleetwood a track from the Buckingham Nicks LP. “He put on a song called 'Frozen Love' from the Buckingham Nicks album, just to demonstrate his own prowess in the studio, and what the studio sounded like,” Buckingham recalled. “So Mick is sitting there listening to this song, and uh, one thing led to another and Stevie and I, very shortly, were members of the band."

Olsen would go on to produce Fleetwood Mac’s 1975 self-titled LP. The album, featuring such classic hits as “Rhiannon,” “Say You Love Me” and “Landslide” would hit No. 1 on the Billboard chart, eventually selling more than seven million copies in the U.S..

Fleetwood Mac’s massive success opened doors for Olsen, making him one of the most in-demand producers in music. Over the ensuing years, he’d work with a bevy of vaunted artists, including Heart, Whitesnake, Santana, Rick Springfield, REO Speedwagon, Ozzy Osbourne, Bad Company, Joe Walsh and Jethro Tull.

Notable releases among Olsen’s impressive resume´ include the Grateful Dead’s Terrapin Station (1977), Foreigner’s Double Vision (1978), Pat Benatar’s Crimes of Passion (1980), Sammy Hagar’s Three Lock Box (1982), Osbourne's No Rest for the Wicked (1988) and Whitesnake's self-titled 1987 album, which featured the smash hits "Here I Go Again" and "Still of the Night."

According to his website, Olsen produced more than 120 albums in total, with 24 earning platinum certification or better. The site goes on to note that “sales from Keith Olsen’s work exceeds 125 million units at retail, equaling more than a billion dollars in business.” The producer also earned six Grammy awards over the course of his career.

(Tweets)
David Coverdale ✔
@davidcoverdale
Keith Olsen...R.I.P. Dear Friend...
View image on Twitter
3:39 PM - Mar 9, 2020
73 people are talking about this

Rick Springfield ✔
@rickspringfield
1) My amazing and talented friend Keith Olsen has passed away. Such a gifted producer. And later on a wonderful guy. Ha, ha... he could be a bit of a pistol in the studio but that was part of his talent. Sticking to his guns when some whiny artist (me) would say, "I don’t think
View image on Twitter
5:53 PM - Mar 9, 2020
19 people are talking about this

Rick Springfield ✔
@rickspringfield
2) that works." He didn't produce all those hits for all those musicians for no reason. He had a golden ear and helped so many people reach their potential. I remember playing him my demos and he picked “Jessie’s Girl” out of a batch of 15 songs and said "This is a hit.”
5:54 PM - Mar 9, 2020

Rick Springfield ✔
@rickspringfield
3) I doubted him and thought there were better songs in my demo reel. Proof right there of his gift. May God give your spirit the peace and joy and the rest it deserves. You were a star maker in so many ways. God bless your memory my friend. ♥️
5:54 PM - Mar 9, 2020

bombaysaffires 03-09-2020 08:06 PM

Scorpions
3 hours ago
We just learned about the passing of our dear friend and producer Keith Olsen ....
Keith produced many iconic albums, including our album Crazy World ... Keith was a wonderful guy, and the making of Crazy World was such an inspiring journey, containing outstanding songs like "Wind of Change" and "Send me an Angel", which had the Keith Olsen touch, on every single note .... our hearts and prayers go out to his family .... RIP Keith .... You live on in the Music .... ‪Scorpions‬

bombaysaffires 03-09-2020 08:09 PM

looks like I must have been typing up my post while you posted.

Sad news.

The FM circle continues getting smaller.

cbBen 03-09-2020 08:28 PM

Featured prominently in this documentary on Sound City Studios. Stevie, Lindsey, and Mick are also included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kREXK5sVjQ4

vivfox 03-09-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1256716)
"Send me an Angel"

Great song

bombaysaffires 03-10-2020 12:43 AM

prior to the firing, you'd wonder if Stevie and Lindsey would possibly communicate with each other about this. Clearly not now. It does raise the question of how they will handle things when the first of the Rumours 5 goes.... will we see people banned from any memorial services, or people feeling they would like to go but can't? :shrug:

Macfan4life 03-10-2020 06:19 AM

Very sad. Does anyone know if he was sick or this was unexpected.
He had just released his book

jbrownsjr 03-10-2020 07:15 AM

Very sad to read this. :distress:

sleepless child 03-10-2020 09:10 AM

Very surprising and sad news. I wonder what we will hear from the Mac?

elle 03-10-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1256716)
Scorpions
3 hours ago
We just learned about the passing of our dear friend and producer Keith Olsen ....
Keith produced many iconic albums, including our album Crazy World ... Keith was a wonderful guy, and the making of Crazy World was such an inspiring journey, containing outstanding songs like "Wind of Change" and "Send me an Angel", which had the Keith Olsen touch, on every single note .... our hearts and prayers go out to his family .... RIP Keith .... You live on in the Music .... ‪Scorpions‬

frankly - that there are all these nice immediate reactions and messages from Scorpions, Rick Springfield and others on social media about Keith, but nothing from the Mac, Stevie or Lindsey just shows the sad state of these people.

ok, yes, Lindsey is not using his social media since heart attack, so maybe he can be given some slack. maybe.

but Mick, Stevie, and Fleetwood Mac are using it whenever they have something to sell. yet nothing about probably the most significant person responsible for their coming together and success they had since 1975.

sue 03-10-2020 10:56 AM

Honestly, these people nowadays are t*****s.
It makes me begin to question why I ever really liked them.
Can I love their music but no longer like them.....yes.

Very sad to hear about Keith.

jbrownsjr 03-10-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1256730)
Honestly, these people nowadays are t*****s.
It makes me begin to question why I ever really liked them.

Very sad to hear about Keith.

Very sad, indeed. Sort of a 'swing and a miss' with B/N album. (even though I love the album and the production)

I love the white album. The re-do of Crystal shows his vision and adding Christine into the mix making them the super power that they are today.

Those hits rose up the charts slowly but surely.

Villavic 03-10-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1256730)

Of course you can. Lot of people love Maradona's soccer play but can't stand the guy.

sue 03-10-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1256734)
Of course you can. Lot of people love Maradona's soccer play but can't stand the guy.

That’s a tough one....”The hand of God”..??