The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Sitar used on The Chain (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=26225)

DavidMn 04-06-2006 12:41 PM

The Sitar used on The Chain

I'e always wondered how Lindsey came up with the idea of using this instrument for The Chain. I've never really read anything on this. Maybe I'm getting too much into Minutae, but I find it interesting. Obviously it was a good decision.:)

chiliD 04-06-2006 12:41 PM

Sitar? "The Chain"? Where? I can hear a Dobro, but no sitar.

But, in any case, I would think ANYBODY's inspiration for using sitar on a rock song would've been from George Harrison's use of it on "Norwegian Wood". (The first use of sitar on a Western rock song)

DavidMn 04-06-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD

But, in any case, I would think ANYBODY's inspiration for using sitar on a rock song would've been from George Harrison's use of it on "Norwegian Wood". (The first use of sitar on a Western rock song)

Good lord, I've done it again. Shows some of my ignorance on the technical aspect of music. WHat may I ask Steve is Lindsey holding as he's sitting down in that picture fromthe Box Set?

chiliD 04-06-2006 12:51 PM

Yep, that IS a sitar...but I just don't hear one on "The Chain".

The only time I've (consciously) heard a sitar on a Fleetwood Mac song is on Lindsey's "Make Me A Mask" on The Chain box.

DavidMn 04-06-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

The only time I've (consciously) heard a sitar on a Fleetwood Mac song is on Lindsey's "Make Me A Mask" on The Chain box.

Well, I learned something new today. I guess if you dont ask, you'll never know huh?:nod:

SteveMacD 04-06-2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

It could just be a phaser effect on the guitar, but I swear I can hear one on GDW.

That's one thing I wish they would have done with Dave Mason. He had a TON of sitar on "Mr. Fantasy" (the album, not the song).

HomerMcvie 04-06-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
It could just be a phaser effect on the guitar, but I swear I can hear one on GDW.

That's what I was thinking. GDW sure sounds like it has a sitar.

David 04-06-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
That's what I was thinking. GDW sure sounds like it has a sitar.

It does sound a little like a sitar, although a sitar isn't listed on the instrumentation from Ken Caillat's records for the DVD-Audio.

HomerMcvie 04-06-2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
It does sound a little like a sitar, although a sitar isn't listed on the instrumentation from Ken Caillat's records for the DVD-Audio.

Do you mean like Bob Welch isn't listed in any drunken choruses?:blob2:

David 04-06-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Do you mean like Bob Welch isn't listed in any drunken choruses?:blob2:

Bob Welch loved hanging out with his homies back in '76. They smoked pot together, & they ate poor man's cioppino at Scoma's in Sausalito (sans Stevie & Christine, naturally). Bob didn't eat his scallops, however. Usually, John would reach over & grab the sea scallops because Bob didn't want them.

But they all enjoyed sopping up the bottom of their cioppino bowls with thick, sensuous slices of warm sourdough bread, baked fresh on the premises each morning.

Then it was out for a relaxing drive through some of the older residential neighborhoods, & finally back to the studio -- sometimes not until 5 p.m.

mylittledemon 04-06-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

ChiliD beat me to it as always. Hey CHILI....You're not selling your Model One on eBay are you? There was/is one on there that looks similar to yours.

chiliD 04-06-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon
ChiliD beat me to it as always. Hey CHILI....You're not selling your Model One on eBay are you? There was/is one on there that looks similar to yours.

WHAT?!?! :eek: ARE YOU NUTS?!? ;) OF COURSE I'M NOT SELLING MY TURNER! WHO IN THEIR SANE MIND WOULD?!? :shocked: :shrug:

I just don't understand how somebody could own a Turner then want to sell it. I'd die of starvation and environmental exposure before I'd sell mine.

mylittledemon 04-06-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

WHAT?!?! :eek: ARE YOU NUTS?!? ;) OF COURSE I'M NOT SELLING MY TURNER! WHO IN THEIR SANE MIND WOULD?!? :shocked: :shrug:

I just don't understand how somebody could own a Turner then want to sell it. I'd die of starvation and environmental exposure before I'd sell mine.

Yeah if I put myself thru all the torture of saving the money to get one, I sure as hell would never sell. Hell, I'd be afraid to PLAY the damn thing! I see Model 1's on eBay all the time. I don't get it either man.

ragandbone 04-06-2006 03:58 PM

I was gazing at some Turner guitars at Sylvan music the other day, and I thought of you guys...
It turns out that I drive past his shop all of the time, in Santa Cruz, on my way to the beach or the French bakery that is down in the industrial district - now a sort of "undustrial" neighborhood.

chiliD 04-06-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragandbone
I was gazing at some Turner guitars at Sylvan music the other day, and I thought of you guys...
It turns out that I drive past his shop all of the time, in Santa Cruz, on my way to the beach or the French bakery that is down in the industrial district - now a sort of "undustrial" neighborhood.

They have a ton of 'em there, don't they? (at least they did several years ago when I was there for my late cousin's memorial)