The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Buckingham Nicks 40th Anniversary Thread... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52535)

CADreaming 09-01-2013 09:44 AM

The Buckingham Nicks 40th Anniversary Thread...

Let the celebrating begin!

CADreaming 09-01-2013 09:57 AM

Billboard Magazine - May 5, 1973:

"At Sound City in Van Nuys, Mary Lou Carlson has touched
bases to report strong April activity.
Waddy, Nicks and Buckingham, an Anthem recording group
was produced and engineered by Keith Olsen..."

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps03a84d79.jpg

Deeshere 09-01-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1101757)

WOO HOO... You Know I love Buckingham Nicks.

Here's a list of all the songs on their one and only album.

1. Crying In The Night (Nicks)
2. Stephanie - Instrumental (Buckingham)
3. Without A Leg To Stand On (Buckingham)
4. Crystal (Nicks)
5. Long Distance Winner (Nicks)
6. Don't Let Me Down Again (Buckingham)
7. Django (Lewis)
8. Races Are Run (Nicks)
9. Lola (My Love) (Buckingham)
10. Frozen Love (Nicks, Buckingham)

There's not a bad song on this album. I can listen to it from beginning to end and not skip around. Favorites are Crying in the Night, Stephanie, Without A Leg To Stand On, and of course Frozen Love. I still cannot believe the executives at Polydor did not realize what amazing talent they had signed and dropped them. I bet someone one got a boot up their butt when they figured out they had Stevie and Lindsey signed and then let them go.

shackin'up 09-01-2013 01:08 PM

Happy anniversary, B/N, you lovely album. Please don't come in a midlifecrisis. Stay where you are and what you are: on vinyl and a legacy. I love you as a hard to get overlooked brilliant nugget of rockhistory. You don't need to be on CD. Or in iTunes

applebucked 09-01-2013 01:28 PM

BN is such a fabulous album. :nod: Can't believe it's been 40 years.

BLY 09-01-2013 03:24 PM

Picked up my copy late 1977 after getting into Rumours and loving I Don't Want to Know, Second Hand News, The Chain, Gold Dust Woman, Dreams, Go Your Own Way as my favorites. After that, picked up the Fleetwood Mac album and then all the pre B/N Albums and then Walter Egan's stuff. Loved the hunt back in the day.
Bring on the reissue!

CADreaming 09-01-2013 10:29 PM

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps47fcbc51.png

The Neve Console, special ordered by Keith Olsen for Sound City. The console cost $76,000.

http://imguol.com/2013/04/05/o-produ...04_615x470.jpg

"The first track we cut on this was Crying in the Night with Buckingham Nicks. Very first thing cut on that was that session. That's how it started." -- Keith Olsen

Desiree 09-02-2013 01:26 AM

OMG! Everyone I know and NEVER knew loved FM is going nutsy cuckoo over BN lately! Awesome!!!!! I do believe we just might actually get it, don't know how or what or when but I feel good about it. I read something in the last few days about Stevie saying that if she could go back and sing the songs on BN again she would sing them so much stronger because when they were recording it she didn't think her voice was very good so she was really only concentrating on backing LB at the time. BUT, the very vulnerability for which she would become known is what makes her so damned spectacular on this record! I mean listen to Crying in the Night (above). Need I say more?

Desiree 09-02-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1101769)
Happy anniversary, B/N, you lovely album. Please don't come in a midlifecrisis. Stay where you are and what you are: on vinyl and a legacy. I love you as a hard to get overlooked brilliant nugget of rockhistory. You don't need to be on CD. Or in iTunes

I want a reissue, badly, at times! BUT, I have to admit that I am sometimes torn on reissuing BN and messing with such a "brilliant nugget of rock history" myself! I too love BN, and I also have a pristine copy I purchased in 1975, while I was still listening to Heroes are Hard to Find.

I was a freshman in college and my boyfriend from home and I had finished unpacking and moving in to our dorms. We walked down to Main Street and went into the coolest little record store. My boyfriend was a musician so we were always looking for new music, and luckily we walked out with Buckingham Nicks. I remember the little hippie velvet clothing boutiques, too, and of course, falling in love with it all! When we got back to his dorm room, we put the record on immediately and plopped down on the bed...OMG! We knew we were hearing something very special right from the git go...I will never forget listening to that record over and over while it rained and we made love...hmmm, yeah, it would be fine with me if it just keeps it's place in rock history too...:o

shackin'up 09-02-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiree (Post 1101844)
I want a reissue, badly, at times! BUT, I have to admit that I am sometimes torn on reissuing BN and messing with such a "brilliant nugget of rock history" myself! I too love BN, and I also have a pristine copy I purchased in 1975, while I was still listening to Heroes are Hard to Find.

I was a freshman in college and my boyfriend from home and I had finished unpacking and moving in to our dorms. We walked down to Main Street and went into the coolest little record store. My boyfriend was a musician so we were always looking for new music, and luckily we walked out with Buckingham Nicks. I remember the little hippie velvet clothing boutiques, too, and of course, falling in love with it all! When we got back to his dorm room, we put the record on immediately and plopped down on the bed...OMG! We knew we were hearing something very special right from the git go...I will never forget listening to that record over and over while it rained and we made love...hmmm, yeah, it would be fine with me if it just keeps it's place in rock history too...:o

That's it. Thank you for sharing your experience. The record gathered so many stories in 40 years of listeners that appreciate it for what it is, especially being a pretty hard to get vinyl album, that it has it's own legacy now. After all these years, I want it to be the identity it is, and not a 7 dollar download.

Desiree 09-02-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1101848)
That's it. Thank you for sharing your experience. The record gathered so many stories in 40 years of listeners that appreciate it for what it is, especially being a pretty hard to get vinyl album, that it has it's own legacy now. After all these years, I want it to be the identity it is, and not a 7 dollar download.

You're right...you've convinced me completely. Btw, I married that boy and we're still married...with all the ups and downs, wondering each year if we'll make it another...Love is such a simple notion, I don't know why it's so hard to hold on to and nurture? But, I do know that no matter what happens...that will always be one of my very sweetest memories.

CADreaming 09-02-2013 06:10 AM

Thanks all for sharing your feelings about the vinyl. However, I don't think a CD release (with hopefully some bonus tracks) will ever cheapen or take away from your memories or the originality that made this album awesome. It will only enhance the experience for those who choose to participate, create new generations of fans, and give a much deserved gift to those who have believed in the power of Buckingham Nicks.

Anyway, I hoped this thread could stay focused on discussing the album and not get into the arguments about the potential CD reissue or the maybe tour or any of the other what if rabbits that tend to get chased. :sorry:

CADreaming 09-02-2013 10:15 AM

The Sound City Movie

She was that kind of lady
Times are hard

Desperation and desire. The key elements to rock stardom.

And Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had both.

She’s back in town
And she’s looking around

From Phoenix to San Francisco to Hollywood.

That’s where you had to end up. You could start anywhere. But if you wanted to make it, you had to come to L.A. And what you found there surprised you. No city center. No three piece suits. Just a bunch of suburbanites just like you. And in the hallowed halls of recording studios, in the darkness, was where not only the sound of America was created, but the world. There was magic in studios. But it really didn’t begin until the band plugged in and started to play.

And from the hinterlands to Sound City was a very long journey. As AC/DC once sang, it’s a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

But not anymore. Five year olds can wail on their iPads. Record in GarageBand and then their parents can implore the rest of us to buy the production on iTunes. We’re inundated with dreck. And the ultimate desire is to get rich.

That used to be the byproduct. The goal was to REACH EVERYBODY!

Yup, you could be recording in an industrial park, but if you got it right people could be singing your song not only next week, but forevermore. Chances were slim. As were opportunities. So you made the most of them. You only had one shot…to change the world…and your life.

It’s not about technology, but people. In the almost unwatchable last third of this movie Trent Reznor, Josh Homme and Dave Grohl create music utterly riveting. With one hand on his laptop, Trent’s not worried about the tech, but the sound. It always comes down to the sound.

And the songs.

Without both, you’ve got nothing.

We knew what Sound City was. Because we read the credits. More than once. They were not in tiny CD type, they were big, in the center of the gatefold, on the inner sleeve. We not only knew the studios, but the guitar strings. Everything about the musicians and their music, because the music touched us, because it changed our lives.

And it hasn’t been that way in a very long time.

Because everybody’s not shooting high enough. They don’t need it enough. There wasn’t a single person in Dave Grohl’s studio telling him all that new material sucked, from Stevie Nicks to Lee Ving to Paul McCartney. Looked like they were having fun, but you don’t want to hear a single song ever again.

Then there’s “Lithium.”

Nirvana was hungry. They had to get it right. The songs didn’t need to be good, they needed to be great. And some things never change. If you’re still that great, everybody will know. And if not, you’re in an endless circle jerk thinking that everybody cares, when they don’t.

So you can skip the first few minutes. Until Dave pulls up at the studio.

And they tell the story of Buckingham Nicks and Fleetwood Mac.

Ooh, brings chills.

Mick Fleetwood is looking for a cheap studio.

And Keith Olsen pulls up the Buckingham Nicks album. Recorded there. At Sound City.

Do you know “Crying In The Night”?

Check it out here:

Buckingham Nicks – Crying In The Night

It’s the best Fleetwood Mac song you’ve never heard. Better than anything the band has done since “Rumours.” But because musicians are insane and their own worst enemies, it and the album it came from has never been released on CD. Even though the vinyl record populated baby boomers’ dorm rooms back in the seventies, when they bought that first Fleetwood Mac album with Stevie and Lindsey and needed MORE!

And when the sound comes out of the speakers, you TINGLE! Because it’s the essence. Music played by people who NEED IT! Buckingham and Nicks were always gonna break through, because they were never gonna give up. That’s what it takes, more than talent, PERSEVERANCE! You pay your dues, you get kicked around, and if you hang around long enough you make it.

You’ve got to be playing so long you get lucky.

And Buckingham and Nicks do. They’re picked up and rescued by Mick Fleetwood and the rest of the Mac. Look at the photos. They were so young, so skinny, so CUTE!

They were our rock stars.

Like Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers. Who were known by everybody BEFORE “Damn The Torpedoes” and “Refugee.” It’s not about everybody knowing your name, but a track so indelible they’ve got to play it again and again, that they can’t forget.

And yes, these tracks were all cut on the Neve.

But they would have been hits if they were cut ANYWHERE!

Don’t forget, the even bigger “Rumours” was cut up north, at the Record Plant. Studios aren’t everything.

But people are.

It was a different era. We were all paying attention. And if you got it right, you were as big and rich as anybody in the world. And you only answered to yourself. THAT’S why everybody wanted to be a rock star, the FREEDOM!

And it was hard work.

But it was worth it.

But then MTV made it more about looks than music. And the Internet blew the system apart. And if you don’t think this is a good thing, you’re never going to make it.

We need more documentaries like this. That illustrate how it once was. It’s like discovering a Dead Sea Scroll.

The arc is bad. It’s two movies in one. The story of a studio and the story of a board. Great moviemakers, like great writers, know it can only be about one thing. Add too much, even if it’s great on its own, and you muddy the waters, you ruin it. An expert knows sometimes you’ve got to leave the best things out.

But when they show what it was like back in the seventies, with the girls and the dope and the hope, all tied together by the music, you just want to crank it.

And you realize you can’t make it. That it’s only the special few who deserve our accolades.

And this movie features more than one.

And when the soundtrack blasts, you say THAT’S IT!

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p...nd-city-movie/

jcalzaretta 09-02-2013 07:53 PM

Been listening to this record all weekend. I have a copy burned on a CD. Just love it.

applebucked 09-02-2013 10:13 PM

Popping here to say that I have a lot of feelings for all the songs here, but especially Stephanie, Crystal (the BN version I prefer over the one with FM), and Frozen Love.