The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine News! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=36723)

Gailh 07-21-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 764375)
Brilliant news if this is true! :nod:

I think ITM had a lot of potential, and I liked it, but it was (intentionally) not marketed extensively nor did it have the involvement of a wide range of producers/music label people. I think given that help, Christine could make a big splash with something new.

:blob2:

I think it was kept deliberately low key. I think she was happy just (mainly) her and Dan working together. I can't imagine she'd want all that music label attention.

The lack of a tour was what did for the sales. Before it's release it was high in the pre-release charts but when it was released everyone who'd expressed an interest bought it but no one else. Not much press and radio and in the UK no TV didn't help either.

Gail

Ulpian 07-21-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh (Post 764381)
I think it was kept deliberately low key. I think she was happy just (mainly) her and Dan working together. I can't imagine she'd want all that music label attention.

The lack of a tour was what did for the sales. Before it's release it was high in the pre-release charts but when it was released everyone who'd expressed an interest bought it but no one else. Not much press and radio and in the UK no TV didn't help either.

Gail


Agreed. She definitely seemed to want it that way, and so couldn't have been too surprised when it didn't sell millions! But such is the nature of the music industry now, it's so different, and certainly more difficult for 'older' artists whose fan base is less concerned about downloading tracks and more about paying the mortgage (to paraphrase Stevie in that SYW doc)!

I think you mentioned that ITM was maybe being 'reworked' for wider release though? Was that something Martin Wyatt mentioned, and if so is it maybe something to do with this? (Maybe a parallel project?)

I know Christine wouldn't get label execs involved as she doesn't want the hassle, but I do think that with more involvement from people like that behind the scenes any future release might reach a wider audience. However, I'd be equally glad if she just released something like ITM again! Anything to hear more of what she's been writing :D

aleuzzi 07-21-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57 (Post 764343)
I hope this is true. I don't want to get my hopes up though if it's not true.

I'd prefer a CM solo album over her on a FM album anyway since I'd get more CM songs on a solo album.

YES! I actually would prefer this, too. It shows she is gaining confidence in her abilities apart from the band. And another album of the calibre of ITM would be a dream come true!

I am a bit surprised she turned down the offer to record for the "last" Mac album, since I'm sure she could have done this without touring, but I'm also oddly happy about it (if it's true) because it shows she has put the past behind and is thinking of her self in the present.

aleuzzi 07-21-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh (Post 764374)
I've always said they could find a way if there was the collective will to make some music together. Perhaps the lack of will is on Christine's side.

I'd like this news to be true but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

Gail

I think it is. Christine severed the ties, broke the chain, whatever. But if she's got more music coming out, I say bully for her! I have to get my hopes up. The possibilities are too exciting not to enjoy...

nicepace 07-21-2008 02:57 PM

I would far, far prefer a new Christine solo record to her participation in a Fleetwood Mac album.

I think the small handful of us who are Chris fanatics (we know who we are!) would agree on this point.

Of course, I'd welcome her participation on a Fleetwood Mac album too, but as one of the other posters said, if she will only do one, not both, I'll take the solo record.

I like 'In the Meantime' a whole lot, even though I would have made some different production choices. Specifically, I would have featured Chris' keyboards more prominently, and in particular I would have had a grand piano accompaniment for "Calumny."

When you think about it, why shouldn't Chris do another solo record? Musicians don't just stop making music. I like to think of her dabbling with creating an occasional song on a piano in her country home in Kent. There is no pressure on her to create anything. She has plenty of money, and obviously doesn't care much about critical acclaim or record sales. It's the perfect scenario for her to make some new music.

Let's hope this is for real.

jbrownsjr 07-21-2008 04:03 PM

I think she didn't really like the FM direction anymore.... And that's fine, she can go hew own way... I would love to see her get a little more instrumental and jam more.... plus it saves her voice....

AlanC 07-21-2008 09:44 PM

Her voice was still very much up to par on her last solo album and the woman is pushing 70!!!!! Most women lose thier range and vobrato along with a deepening of the vocals as they grow older. Chris still has it!!!!!!!!

Villavic 07-21-2008 09:50 PM

So (if this is true) she is not fully retired. She just doesn't want to leave England and work in the US to record a mac album. Yes maybe if the band agree to record in England, though it wouldn't be fair for their families,,..

AlanC 07-21-2008 10:33 PM

Agnetha Falskog , the blonde from ABBA suffers from a panic stricken fear of flying----which hinders her from traveling any longer unless its in her native Sweden.

Her last english album was recorded with her Warner label understanding that she would not tour in promotion of it.

:confused:

Gailh 07-22-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanC (Post 764513)
Agnetha Falskog , the blonde from ABBA suffers from a panic stricken fear of flying----which hinders her from traveling any longer unless its in her native Sweden.

Her last english album was recorded with her Warner label unstanding that she will not tour in promotion of it.

:confused:

There are many similarities between the two ladies. A couple of years ago Abba got together for some anniversary of the show Mama Mia in London but Agnetha didn't join them. she was interviewed at the time and said that there "wasn't a day went by that she didn't think of Abba" - sound familiar? I don't think Christine's dislike of flying is that strong though. she went to the states to promote ITM didn't she?

If Christine really wanted to participate in the next FM project she'd find a way. It would only mean her being in L.A. for a couple of weeks and Lindsey coming over here for a couple of weeks. I think that if this story is true we have to face the fact that she DOESN'T WANT TO BE IN FLEETWOOD MAC ANYMORE - sorry to shout.

Gail

TrueFaith77 07-22-2008 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh (Post 764533)
There are many similarities between the two ladies. A couple of years ago Abba got together for some anniversary of the show Mama Mia in London but Agnetha didn't join them. she was interviewed at the time and said that there "wasn't a day went by that she didn't think of Abba" - sound familiar? I don't think Christine's dislike of flying is that strong though. she went to the states to promote ITM didn't she?

If Christine really wanted to participate in the next FM project she'd find a way. It would only mean her being in L.A. for a couple of weeks and Lindsey coming over here for a couple of weeks. I think that if this story is true we have to face the fact that she DOESN'T WANT TO BE IN FLEETWOOD MAC ANYMORE - sorry to shout.

Gail


But. . . why?

Gailh 07-22-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 764534)
But. . . why?

I don't presume to speak for the lady herself but I'd hazard a guess that at her age she likes to work at her own pace when she feels like it without the attendant nonsense that comes with a FM album. She's done all that and clearly doesn't feel like repeating the experiance.

We have to remember that she is 65 years old and although we hope she is healthy you do tend to slow down as you get older.

I may be wrong but I think that at the back of her mind she thinks they might try to bully her into touring again which she clearly doesn't want to do.

I don't believe there is any sinister reason - she is happy where she is and what she is doing with her life. Good for her!

Gail

Ulpian 07-22-2008 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh (Post 764535)
I don't presume to speak for the lady herself but I'd hazard a guess that at her age she likes to work at her own pace when she feels like it without the attendant nonsense that comes with a FM album. She's done all that and clearly doesn't feel like repeating the experiance.

We have to remember that she is 65 years old and although we hope she is healthy you do tend to slow down as you get older.

I may be wrong but I think that at the back of her mind she thinks they might try to bully her into touring again which she clearly doesn't want to do.

I don't believe there is any sinister reason - she is happy where she is and what she is doing with her life. Good for her!

Gail


I absolutely agree. We all tend to forget that Christine wanted to retire from music back in 1970, before she even joined FM properly! From the ITM publicity we know how much she loves her life back home in the UK and that any involvement in something big and flashy (i.e. an FM album) which was done on terms other than her own would just lift her out of that happiness. Also, as you say, at 65 I think she simply wants to do things her way and at her pace, and I say fair enough!

Musicman408 07-22-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh (Post 764360)
Maybe Dan Perfect will be the other producer on the new FM album so that Lindsey isn't sole producer. In that way Stevie gets at least a member of Christine's family to protect her if not the lady herself. :laugh:

Seriously, if this is true then perhaps Christine just doesn't fancy travelling to L.A. to record or getting "sucked back" into the strange world of Fleetwood Mac.

Gail

That would be a cool thing. Maybe that'll get some people to change their mind.

Villavic 07-22-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh (Post 764533)
the fact that she DOESN'T WANT TO BE IN FLEETWOOD MAC ANYMORE - sorry to shout.

Gail

What? Louder!! I can't hear you !! :laugh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved