The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey joins veteran trio (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=6962)

CarneVaca 08-09-2002 01:09 PM

Lindsey joins veteran trio

Ok, not quite. But I had to put something on the subject field to make you read this. But here's my suggestion. You got Lindsey, a whole bunch of rockin' tunes, in addition to some wonderful slow burners, not to mention the whacked-out stuff that we love him for, and you've got the unbeatable rhythm section of Mick and John.

Take these three lads, give them the instruments and send them out on the road. Just the three of them. Leave the synthesizers and the nylon-string guitars at home. Play only clubs like Lindsey did in 1993. And mostly stick to the rockers:

I Know I'm Not Wrong
Wrong
Deep Dense
Monday Morning
The Ledge
I'm So Afraid
Eyes of the World
Not That Funny
Johnny Stew
Countdown
Twist of Fate
Gift of Screws
This is the Time
Oh Diane

Acoustic set:

Save Me a Place
Big Love (OK, bring one nylon-string)
September Song
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
Say Goodbye

Encore:

Oh Well
Tusk (the stripped-down version)
Trouble
Go Your Own Way

Oh, yeah, and lots of Wheat Thins for snacking.

nodmod 08-09-2002 02:57 PM

Excellent set but what's happened to "Red Rover" in the acoustic set

seteca 08-09-2002 05:52 PM

That list would be pure joy! My one adjustment would be remove the acoustic version of Big Love and replace it with Red Rover (as Neil said), then insert the original version of Big Love into the main set.

I believe we will see Lindsey tour the clubs again a la OOTC, but in a very long time from now.

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

bjk3047 08-10-2002 11:07 PM

Simply from a logistical point of view, I think it would be tough to make it sound as desired as a trio. For God's sake, it took a self-proclaimed guitary ARMY for Lindsey to be satisfied on OOTC. He needs at least one more guitar and a keyboard player wouldn't hurt, but not necessary. But you need an acoustic guitar for GOS, GYOW, ISA just to name a few off the top of my head. Just sounds empty otherwise. But I like the set! Quite strong.
-Brian

seteca 08-11-2002 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bjk3047
......But you need an acoustic guitar for GOS, GYOW, ISA just to name a few off the top of my head.....
Why would you need an acoustic guitar for "I'm So Afraid"...??:confused:

bjk3047 08-11-2002 09:48 AM

In terms of background figures, don't you think it would sound a little silly with just the bass? There's absolutely no way to hear the chords. You need a keyboard or something to give a strum for the chords. You wouldn't notice it unless you heard ISA without Christine or Neale.
-Brian

seteca 08-11-2002 10:00 AM

Oh sure, absolutely!:nod:

Sorry...misunderstood what you meant, I throught you were talking about the "normal" concert versions...like The Dance version would need an acoustic guitar...I was like..huh??:confused:....:laugh:

yea i absolutely agree....I'm So Afraid (an electric version at least) cannot be done with just Mick, John and Lindsey alone....you definitely need some sort of backing chord accompaniement, otherwise it would sound as dry as the sands of the Sahara! :cool:

stay cool as a cucumber Brian!:laugh:

bjk3047 08-11-2002 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seteca
stay cool as a cucumber Brian!:laugh:
I was wondering if anyone caught that...:D
Yeah the onlt way you could have a trio was on the acoustic set, or if Lindsey played piano...:shocked: not happenin...
-Brian

CarneVaca 08-12-2002 09:45 AM

Now, Brian and Seteca, you guys of course are right that the songs would sound different in a trio setting. They would have to. But you are missing my point: There have been many trios that worked beautifully on stage and sounded perfectly full. Here's the trick: Lindsey would have to rearrange most of those songs for them to sound right in a trio. John too would have to make a few changes, though not as many. Think of what Lindsey does with "Countdown" with only his acoustic guitar. Now think of how he changed "Go Insane" and "Big Love." It definitely can be done. For instance on "Go Your Own Way," he could start by playing the acoustic intro clean on the electric guitar, than switch to power chords when the verse starts. (In fact, when I see footage of the Rumours tour, I wonder why he didn't play it this way instead of the way he does, which is to just play the power chords in the intro, thereby ignoring the song's signature acoustic riff.) He could probably stay with the power chords through the chorus, with some licks here and there, then switch to the intro chords, do it again, and then let it rip with the solo. It would sound great.

Also with a couple of numbers, he could just have John back him up with an acoustic, and just forego the bass. I know that's radical but it could work.

Have you guys heard of the White Stripes? Big sound with just a guitar and drums!

chiliD 08-12-2002 12:05 PM

Interesting concept...Fleetwood Mac as "power trio".

As far as recreating the material live, that would take some serious "rearranging", but, if the songs are really as "strong" as we've attached that label to them, they can be pulled off in ANY type of setting...even on solo acoustic. If they CAN'T, then they weren't as strong as we thought...the strength is then in the arrangement & production rather than the song itself

Some great rock trios sound full live, as well as the studio:

The Police
Cream
ZZ Top
Led Zeppelin (basically they WERE a trio, with a front-man vocalist)
Beck, Bogart & Appice

BellaDonnaGypsy 08-12-2002 12:07 PM

But I think that's what makes Lindsey's songs so great... the fact that they are so multi-layered. If you stripped them down to three instruments, you wouldn't feel the passion in the songs anymore. Just my two cents.

Laura.

chiliD 08-12-2002 12:23 PM

That's my point exactly...if the song's passion or intensity is only arrived through the production or arrangement, what does that say about the song itself? The measure of a good song, to me, SHOULD be that it's message, feeling, emotion, intensity, etc, can be conveyed under ANY circumstance.

The biggest examples are "Big Love" & "Go Insane"...who knew when they were first released with the "big '80's techno" arrangements that they could be so easily rearranged for solo acoustic guitar? I, for one, didn't. If THOSE two songs can cross that line, then why not others? Why COULDN'T "I'm So Afraid" be rearranged for solo acoustic guitar and still have the power & emotion of the full-on electric version?

BellaDonnaGypsy 08-12-2002 12:27 PM

But that just makes the music redundant.

Laura.

bjk3047 08-12-2002 12:29 PM

I just saw the White Stripes on MTV and went "Why do they just do closeups of the guitarist and drummer??" :laugh: They are pretty good as a duo, I must admit.
There's possibility for trio, as long as fans understand that they'd be coming to see something new and different. And we all know how new and different goes over with Mac fans sometimes...;)
-Brian

BellaDonnaGypsy 08-12-2002 12:35 PM

Hmm... maybe that's what we need to introduce the Mac to a whole new generation. Although I just feel that Lindsey sounds the way he sounds... no matter how many different styles he goes through, there's always going to be that signature Buckingham sound behind it, so even a radical departure is still going to sound Lindsey-ish.

Laura.