The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Songs/Singers/Groups that define America? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=13070)

wondergirl9847 02-06-2004 07:51 PM

Songs/Singers/Groups that define America?

Just curious, as to which songs, singers or groups define America the most? Is is Southern rock you think of ala Lynyrd Skynyrd or is it The Eagles "Desperado"? Is it not Southern rock at all? Is it country music? Is it rock and roll? Is it a mixture of everything?

IMO, it's a mixture of everything. The blues, R&B, country, rock and roll, jazz, classical, gospel...

Electronica type of music defines Europe for me. Danceable stuff.

When I think of England, I think pop, right off the bat, as I think you Brits are A LOT more open to the likes of boy bands, Britney and stuff like that. They are loved here too, but are bashed beyond belief as well...and I don't think they are very much over there.

dissention 02-06-2004 07:55 PM

Bette Midler.

Why?

Because she can be vulgar, humble, opinionated, rude, crude, tasteless, superior, funny, lovable, talented, and ridiculous all at the same time. Much like America. :D

Siri Ruane 02-06-2004 08:40 PM

A lot of Classic Country defines America. :D

shackin'up 02-08-2004 01:05 PM

bruce

darklinensuit 02-08-2004 02:03 PM

I can't imagine a British Dolly Parton or an Argentine Willie Nelson or a Jordanian Diana Ross/Motown sound, but perhaps I lack imagination.

- Jake

gldstwmn 02-08-2004 02:06 PM

Aside from the obvious, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Patti Smith and John Mellencamp.

dissention 02-08-2004 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by darklinensuit
but perhaps I lack imagination.
I think people can say many things about you, but that ain't one of 'em. :laugh:

wondergirl9847 02-08-2004 02:28 PM

America...

Elvis defines America because he is still the King after all these years and even after his death. One of the greatest entertainers EVER. :nod:

Even though he's not loved by many on this board (that's an understatement. LOL), Michael Jackson and really, the entire Jackson family. Yes, they're more known for controversy these days, but their music is an American staple, IMO.

Yep, I agree, country music is definitive of America. When people think country music, it's always the South, pickup trucks and songs about drinkin', cheatin' and killin'. LOL

dissention 02-08-2004 02:41 PM

Re: America...

Quote:

Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Even though he's not loved by many on this board (that's an understatement. LOL), Michael Jackson and really, the entire Jackson family. Yes, they're more known for controversy these days, but their music is an American staple, IMO.
You know, Jacko is very talented, but he is *not* a talented singer. He's sort of like Prince, more style than substance, you know? LOL He has a rather bad voice, IMO.

wondergirl9847 02-08-2004 03:00 PM

MJ

Well, I like Michael's voice and his music. Thriller is, IMO, one of the greatest albums ever made.

He is a spectacular entertainer a la Elvis. I'm seriously amazed at how the entire world just adores and supports him no matter what. I don't know WHAT I would do if I had that type of attention on me. :confused:

It's not all about voice, it's the "IT" factor. Just ask Simon Cowell. LOL Really, tho, it is.

I don't like some technical singers, because they bore me to tears. I'd rather listen to someone who's voice breaks and strains and them pull me in, than someone who is standing there goin' through the motions.

GardenStateGirlie 02-08-2004 03:11 PM

I'm surprised Billy Joel hasn't been mentioned yet....same thing with Aerosmith...they're still rockin' after YEARS. I do agree with those already mentioned...definately :nod:

Janet 02-08-2004 03:13 PM

You know, alot of the big arists of the 60's like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, LZ, Clapton...they all looked to American artists as their core for their music. I find that to be really cool because we were the initial influence.

GardenStateGirlie 02-08-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dissention
I think people can say many things about you, but that ain't one of 'em. :laugh:
Jake has imagination dripping out of every orifice. :laugh:

darklinensuit 02-08-2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
Jake has imagination dripping out of every orifice. :laugh:
Yeah, but I'm taking something for that.:wavey:
(Thank me for sparing you from a clever "Depends" joke.)

- Jake

darklinensuit 02-08-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dissention
Thanks for saying that and for not saying the many thiungs people could say about me.

- Jake