The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2019 Movie Reviews (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58542)

Jondalar 02-11-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1256275)
Instead of watching Oscars, I ordered Pain and Glory on Amazon Prime. What a brave film. I loved the casting, acting and direction.

Kudos, to Julieta Serrano, who played the older mother. She was so good, I nearly cried for my grandma.

What a beautiful film.

The oscars are too political. I quit watching them long ago.

jbrownsjr 02-11-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1256295)
The oscars are too political. I quit watching them long ago.

Have you seen, Pain and Glory?

TrueFaith77 02-11-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1256275)
Instead of watching Oscars, I ordered Pain and Glory on Amazon Prime. What a brave film. I loved the casting, acting and direction.

Kudos, to Julieta Serrano, who played the older mother. She was so good, I nearly cried for my grandma.

What a beautiful film.

Yes. Who would have thought that DePalma/Bunuel/Sirk-inspired Almodovar would achieve Renoir-like sublimity? It’s his late-career masterpiece.

jbrownsjr 02-12-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1256297)
Yes. Who would have thought that DePalma/Bunuel/Sirk-inspired Almodovar would achieve Renoir-like sublimity? It’s his late-career masterpiece.

I thought the same thing. Even the editing was done really well. Some great shots and I never asked myself, "What the hell are they trying to say here?"

Which is what I did with Judy, despite the brilliant performance.

TrueFaith77 02-13-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1256302)
I thought the same thing. Even the editing was done really well. Some great shots and I never asked myself, "What the hell are they trying to say here?"

Which is what I did with Judy, despite the brilliant performance.

Glad you liked it and responded to it! I hope you can catch up with the other films on my Best of the Year list and recipients of the #JohnnieAwards. I promise pleasures ahead!

jbrownsjr 02-13-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1256360)
Glad you liked it and responded to it! I hope you can catch up with the other films on my Best of the Year list and recipients of the #JohnnieAwards. I promise pleasures ahead!

I've seen:

Two Popes (Great acting) B+
Marriage Story (Great acting) B+
Judy (Fantastic characterization, weak script) B
Pain And Glory A+
1917 A- (Loved it)
The Irishman (Should have been a mini series with more hard plot points) B

TrueFaith77 02-13-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1256362)
I've seen:

Two Popes (Great acting) B+
Marriage Story (Great acting) B+
Judy (Fantastic characterization, weak script) B
Pain And Glory A+
1917 A- (Loved it)
The Irishman (Should have been a mini series with more hard plot points) B

Of those: Only Pain and Glory was on my list/awards

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1256121)
#TheNineWorthies – The 9 Best Movies of 2019
1. Shadow (Zhang Yimou) - In a word: Awesome
2. Pain and Glory (Pedro Almodovar) - Sublime
3. Tattoo of Revenge (Julian Hernandez) - Gorgeous
4. Domino (Brian De Palma) - Intense
5. Dragged Across Concrete (S. Craig Zahler) - Existential
6. The Legend of the Demon Cat (Chen Kaige) - Ravishing
7. Richard Jewell (Clint Eastwood) - Righteous
8. Sorry Angel (Christophe Honoré) - Cathartic
9. The Image Book (Jean-Luc Godard) - Liberating

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1256121)
Forget the #Oscars, here’s... the 2019 #JohnnieAwards

BEST PICTURE: SHADOW (Zhang Yimou)

BEST DIRECTOR: Julián Hernández (TATTOO OF REVENGE)

BEST ACTOR: Tory Kittles (DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE)

BEST ACTRESS: Vanessa Redgrave (MRS. LOWRY & SON)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: César Vicente (PAIN AND GLORY)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Jennifer Carpenter (DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE (S. Craig Zahler)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: SHADOW (Zhang Yimou, Wei Li)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: TATTOO OF REVENGE (Alejandro Cantú)

BEST FILM EDITING: SHADOW (Zhou Xiaolin)

BEST MUSIC SCORE: DOMINO (Pino Donaggio)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG: “Street Corner Felines” (written by S. Craig Zahler & Jeff Herriott, performed by The O’Jays) (DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE)

MOST ARTISTIC AND UNIQUE PRODUCTION DESIGN AND TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT: LEGEND OF THE DEMON CAT (Chen Kaige)

BEST ENGLISH LANGUAGE FILM: DOMINO (Brian De Palma)

BEST DOCUMENTARY: THE IMAGE BOOK (Jean-Luc Godard)

BEST ANIMATED FILM: BUNUEL AND THE LABYRINTH OF THE TURTLES (Salvador Simó Busom)

BEST GAY FILM: PAIN AND GLORY (Pedro Almodovar)

BEST FIRST FILM: SAUVAGE/WILD (Camille Vidal-Naquet)



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved