The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Terri Schiavo: Please explain something to me... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=18546)

sara1998 03-18-2005 08:44 PM

Terri Schiavo: Please explain something to me...

Why can't they let her live, and let her folks take care of her, and let the husband out from under his marriage to her? Everyone could have their way on this one... why such the long, drawn out drama?? Is there something there I don't understand? :shrug:

sara1998 03-18-2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lux
Isn't letting (making) her live a bit on the inhumane side? This is not a case of interest over here in Australia so I know no more than I've seen mentioned, but isn't her husband claiming that she requested her death anyway? Even if she didn't, I would still consider it inhumane.

I agree, it is inhumane... but why can't a divorce be granted, and guardianship be given to the parents? Why does she have to die, if the parents are willing to take care of her? If she didn't want to live like this, where was her living will??

ontheEdgeof17 03-18-2005 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1998
I agree, it is inhumane... but why can't a divorce be granted, and guardianship be given to the parents? Why does she have to die, if the parents are willing to take care of her? If she didn't want to live like this, where was her living will??

Who will continue her care when the parents are gone?

Mad4stevie 03-18-2005 09:05 PM

Quote:

Why can't they let her live, and let her folks take care of her, and let the husband out from under his marriage to her? Everyone could have their way on this one... why such the long, drawn out drama?? Is there something there I don't understand? :shrug:

Her husband has involved the court system, which has determined that she would have never wanted to live in this "persistent vegatative state" based upon testimony from the husband, brother in law and sister in law. That determination is what has brought us to this point because no matter what, a court has decided that it would have been Terri's wish that she would die instead of living in this type of condition. Essentially, everyone else's position, her parents (etc.) is irrelevant because the court has already determined that she would not have wanted to live this kind of existence.

At this point, most people take issue with this determination of Terri's will by the court system and whether the appropriate evidence was considered in this determination.

My issue is with the fact that they are starving this woman to death. How inhumane is that?

GODDESS6 03-18-2005 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4stevie

My issue is with the fact that they are starving this woman to death. How inhumane is that?

exactly what i have been thinking no matter what side of the fence any1 is on, on this, the thought of them letting her starve & dehydrate 2 death is more inhumane 2 me than anything~ i was watching this allday on the news & i can't imagine what it must b like w/ the courts changing their minds every 1/2 an hour 2 remove, then not remove, then remove her feeding tube, what an emotional rollercoaster 2 b on~ there was a radio show on this morning & a lady called in stating that she was in a coma 4 6months & the dr's were telling her family there was no hope~ she said she could hear everything said & feel their touches but just couldn't respond @ the time, but was so relieved that when she did come around that her family didn't listen 2 the dr's evaluation of her & waited the situation out~ i realize terry has been like this 4 15 yrs but her folks say she does recognize them, their touch & responds back lovingly~ she may never get "better" but this whole thing breaks my heart immensly :distress: :distress: :distress: !!!~

GODDESS6 03-18-2005 09:24 PM

also does any1 know if it is a money thing w/ her husband?~ like does he have insurance 2 claim or anything i have always wondered this of him, becuz y not just get a divorce & let her parents take care of her that is what they truly want~ everytime i have seen the husband interviewed he does not come off very sympathetic 4 his wife, more of like her living on is a burden 2 him~ :shrug: i don't know just an observation~

heyjupiter678 03-18-2005 09:33 PM

Quote:

If she didn't want to live like this, where was her living will??

She was 26 when she had a heart attack. How many people at that age actually have a living will? :shrug:

heyjupiter678 03-18-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GODDESS6
i realize terry has been like this 4 15 yrs but her folks say she does recognize them, their touch & responds back lovingly

They are her parents, they're seeing what they want to see. Terri isn't recognizing anything. Her cerebral cortex is gone, and has been replaced by spinal fluid.

GateandGarden 03-18-2005 09:50 PM

Quote:

I've been thinking about that, too. And the issue appears to be that no one wants to outright kill her. But this seems worse to me. :shrug:

WelshWitchPMD 03-18-2005 10:00 PM

Actually, I am listening to Michael Savage's show. He is discussing this subject right now.

GODDESS6 03-18-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyjupiter678
They are her parents, they're seeing what they want to see. Terri isn't recognizing anything. Her cerebral cortex is gone, and has been replaced by spinal fluid.

that mayb, but they have shown her on video responding 2 loved 1's, i have never seen her w/ her husband on tape & how she responds 2 him, but i have seen video of her w/ family members other than her folks, & no i am not saying she outright says hi when they come in2 the room but there is a definite reaction coming from her when they r near & talking & touching her~ i just hate c any1 in this position as most do, but the starving/dehydrating thing i just can't get pass, i pray 4 a quick end 4 her then w/ minimal 2 no suffering, if they don't reinstate the stay & reinsert the tube again, remember a little while back they removed her feeding tube?, can't remember exactly 4 how long a period of time, but then the courts ordered it put back in~ whatever the outcome is i hope terry will b @ peace~

Mad4stevie 03-18-2005 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GODDESS6
also does any1 know if it is a money thing w/ her husband?~ like does he have insurance 2 claim or anything i have always wondered this of him, becuz y not just get a divorce & let her parents take care of her that is what they truly want~ everytime i have seen the husband interviewed he does not come off very sympathetic 4 his wife, more of like her living on is a burden 2 him~ :shrug: i don't know just an observation~

There is a question of how he spent some money as her guardian. He allegedly did not spend some of the money for her treatment that he was entrusted with as her guardian.

Also, there has been some evidence that he had been physically abusive to her during their marriage.

All of that makes me question some of his motivations.

Dreammms 03-18-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

That is what I think is the most disturbing.

GypsySorcerer 03-19-2005 12:58 AM

It is all just very sad. What this poor woman has gone through. :distress:

Janet 03-19-2005 02:34 AM

Its horrible and I can't think of what the right thing is to do....I mean I can see both sides honestly.

I pray to God she can't hear anything that's being said!!!