The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Crystal"-Buckingham Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=7674)

nicolel118 11-03-2002 01:10 PM

"Crystal"-Buckingham Nicks

So, I'm listening to my Buckingham Nicks Album & my fiance gets stuck on "Crystal". Just keeps listening to it.

He looks up at me and says, "I have no idea what they are singing about. I can't hear the words because I can't get past those voices. The way they sound together is awesome!"

He was not a fan ( deffinantly becoming one though :nod: ).

Anyways, I think it is so awesome that somebody who's never heard this stuff before is just as captivated by the dynamic of those two as we are!

Got to love that! :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share. :lol:

stevierocks87 11-03-2002 01:44 PM

Crystal

Crystal is one of my favorite songs :thumbsup: My question is, is the Buckingham Nicks version different than the Fleetwood Mac white album version? Thanks

:wavey: adam :wavey:

tommer 11-03-2002 01:59 PM

Re: Crystal

Quote:

Originally posted by stevierocks87
My question is, is the Buckingham Nicks version different than the Fleetwood Mac white album version?
it's 2 different recordings, but they are very much alike in spirit.
my favorite version is stevie's version from 1998, by far. brilliant.

Gypsy-Rhiannon 11-03-2002 03:45 PM

Re: Crystal

Quote:

Originally posted by stevierocks87
Crystal is one of my favorite songs :thumbsup: My question is, is the Buckingham Nicks version different than the Fleetwood Mac white album version? Thanks

The White Album version has CHristine's voice added into the mix :)

Pip

Hawkeye 11-03-2002 06:40 PM

i definitly agrree with tommer. the 1998 Crystal is the BBEST.

sodascouts 11-03-2002 07:50 PM

Buckingham Nicks Crystal Rules

I love the first version. Although the BN version and the WA version both have the same melody and words, there are differences. There's a different harmony on the WA one that I think doesn't work as well as Lindsey's as Stevie's. Also, for some reason, Lindsey sings the WA one to a higher pitch. His voice on the BN version is more masculine. On the BN version, also, you don't have the long instrumental at the end. It's much briefer. I heard the WA version first, and loved it. I heard the BN version third and adored it.

But, as the voice of dissention, that 1998 version does nothing for me. Stevie's voice is too low and the song loses a lot of its emotional power without that patented Buckingham Nicks dynamic. Not to mention, in a couple places, it sounds like her voice is straining. I do like the end, however, where she improvises. That's nice. I sing it at the end of the BN version. lol

seteca 11-03-2002 08:30 PM

I greatly prefer the Buckingham Nicks version over the Fleetwood Mac version....LB's voice sounds better, and the song's instrumentation sounds really sweet and peaceful.:)

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

nicolel118 11-03-2002 09:05 PM

I Agree

I agree with you guys! There is just something raw & powerful going on in the BN version. It's hands down, IMO, the best!

I just thought it was soo cool to see that reaction from him! :thumbsup:

:lol:

EnchantedStorms 11-03-2002 11:08 PM

I love the BN version. The WA version comes very close, though. (Don't care much for Stevie's 1998 version.) lol...My husband, although he likes some/most of Stevie's stuff, really doesn't like Lindsey's music. He says that he can't sing.:eek: :D (Although he DOES admit the man CAN play guitar!) BUT, lol...he LOVES "Crystal". He even plays it on his own, sometimes, which is cool. :cool: No one I know EVER plays FM/Stevie/Lindsey without me having to ASK, lol. I think I ruined them for everybody. For some reason they all groan when I so much as mention their names. :confused: :( :laugh:

~~Angela~~:wavey:

stevierocks87 11-03-2002 11:57 PM

Crystal

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I need to get my hands on the BN version! I do really like Stevie's version- it is after all, her song- but I don't think it could possibly compare to the older version. What would be interesting to hear is Stevie singing lead vocals on Crystal back in the early days. I wonder if she ever did?...

joe 11-04-2002 10:01 AM

i like all the versions and i was especially pleased with the 1998 version although Stevie's voice is a lot lower. I liked her higher harmonies on the BN version. I love (an almost get chills) when i hear the WA version during the final "sea...eeeeeeeeee...yeah!!!"
Supposedly, they did this live in 1975 and i'd love to hear that.

nicolel118 11-04-2002 11:01 AM

You guys rock!

Reading all these posts made me pull out the other versions, blow off the dust (:lol: kidding), and compare:

And the WINNER is:

:thumbsup: Buckingham Nicks all the way!

Lindsey's voice is deffinantly better in this one. He sounds SEXY;) ! Love it!

Stevie singing it alone does nothing for me. Even though she wrote the song, it just doesn't seem right without Lindsey singing it! (with her!) This song was written & meant to be done the way it was done on Buckingham Nicks for sure! :laugh:

:wavey:

Gypsy-Rhiannon 11-04-2002 11:44 AM

Re: You guys rock!

Quote:

Originally posted by nicolel118
Lindsey's voice is deffinantly better in this one. He sounds SEXY;) ! Love it!
:wavey:

Amen to that! ;) :D

Pip

Cristian 11-04-2002 08:21 PM

I think I'm going to be the only one here, but I think that the mix of Christine's vocals to the precious Lindsey + Stevie harmonies plus the organ makes the White Album version the better of the tree. Buckingham Nicks comes as a close second, and... Stevie shouldn't probably have recorded her version, because, although she wrote this song, you relate it more to Lindsey. At least in a subconscient level, I suppose.

Song of the moment - Gypsy

macfan 57 11-05-2002 07:32 AM

I also prefer the White Album version because of the addition of Christine's vocals & keyboards. It sounds more like Fleetwood Mac. I don't really like the 1998 version at all.