The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   50 years: Don't Stop (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58134)

DownOnRodeo 09-27-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1237731)
Emerald Eyes instead of Why? I find that an odd choice...

Yes, a great shame not to include "Why".
If the 2 minute musical intro was a problem, they could have tried editing it.

Some comments:
- Two what extent was Lindsey involved/not involved in the track selection? Do we know if he had any involvement back in 1988 for Greatest Hits?
- So when Lindsey is in the band they release greatest hits packages with the band's photo on the cover, and when Lindsey isn't in the band they use abstract designs of flowers or animals or tattoos.
- I like that "Fireflies" was included; at the same time, I absolutely hate that it was included given the current context.

BombaySapphire3 09-27-2018 08:23 PM

Lame ..and no new songs . 25 years The Chain had 3. This incarnation of Fleetwood Mac is a creatively bankrupt cash grab unit.

Street_Dreamer 09-27-2018 11:50 PM

And of course the songs released between Greatest Hits and Time are either Stevie or Christine tunes.

BigAl84 09-28-2018 10:58 AM

Ohh but it's a new band!

It would of been more interesting to have them spend a month in the studio re-cutting some of the older blues tunes in a refreshed way with the new band. That would require effort.

Macfan4life 09-28-2018 11:25 AM

Oh darn.. no Stand Back :(
What were they thinking?

*just teasing*
;)

Justin Reach 09-28-2018 12:46 PM

This comp looks pretty good, plus it's actually going to get a vinyl release unlike the overrated Chain boxset.

Mr Scarrott 09-28-2018 01:12 PM

Songs on the trailer..

Well, this is a little bit refreshing:

Don't Stop, Hypnotized, Station Man, Sentimental Lady, Sands of Time, The Chain...

If the middle four of those made into the set, however briefly, that would be cool...I'm not holding my breath, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRM1dhdRCc4

FuzzyPlum 09-28-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1237782)
Songs on the trailer..

Well, this is a little bit refreshing:

Don't Stop, Hypnotized, Station Man, Sentimental Lady, Sands of Time, The Chain...

If the middle four of those made into the set, however briefly. that would be cool...I'm not holding my breath, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRM1dhdRCc4

Well that's unexpected. Nice to hear.

jwd 09-28-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straightback (Post 1237728)
Career-spanning compilation • 3CD or 5LP vinyl

You can’t move for 50th anniversaries right now and so Fleetwood Mac will celebrate a half century of music in November with 50 Years: Don’t Stop a 50-song collection that explores the group’s entire career, from its early days playing the blues, to the superstardom and rock/pop of the late 1970s, 1980s and beyond.

The 50 tracks span from 1968 to 2013 and that means music from every incarnation of the band with musicians such as Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, Jeremey Spencer, John McVie, Danny Kirwan, Christine McVie, Bob Welch, Bob Weston, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Billy Burnette, Rick Vito, Dave Mason, and Bekka Bramlett.

The CD edition is a three-CD package, while to fit everything on vinyl means that is a five-record set. There’s 20-track single CD version that ends up being more of a traditional ‘greatest hits’. David Wild has written sleeve notes for this new release.

50 Years: Don’t Stop is released on 16 November 2018.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...ars-dont-stop/

So are there any songs here that haven't been released before? I'll admit that after taking a glance at this, some of these songs I would like to get on cd. Sands Of Time, Fireflies, Sad Angel, Did You Ever Love Me, Tell Me All The Things You Do, Heroes Are Hard To Find, and Emerald Eyes. Are these remastered? And I'm also curious as to what the various single versions of these songs sound like as opposed to what is on the album(s). I have most of what the 3cd set is offering. But I will say it's not a bad collection of FM songs for the casual FM fan. It's more concise, coherent, and representative of all eras of FM.

TheWildHeart67 09-29-2018 12:44 AM

Looks like a big waste of money. :blob1:
Weird

McLamb 09-29-2018 09:56 PM

I like that this collection is more organized than "25 Years - The Chain". The tracks on this new set are in chronological order, and it'll be nice to hear the progression of the band.

I'd have liked to see more of the material from the 1971-74 period here, though I'm happy to have "Emerald Eyes" included. Also would have liked more from Behind The Mask and Time, though if there could only be one song from the latter, "I Do" represents it well.

I'm very happy to see "Fireflies" here, though the live version of "Never Going Back Again", is sure to be skipped by me. I'll check out "Sad Angel", as I've never heard it before.

SteveMacD 09-30-2018 12:32 AM

Basically, it’s just the singles.

The only changes I’d make:

Emerald Eyes -> For Your Love (single) or Miles Away (better song, not a cover)
Monday Morning -> I’m So Afraid
NGBA -> IKINW

And, I’d drop all of the above for new material.

Murrow 09-30-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1237741)
So true. Is there something I don't get? Selling a bunch of hit singles or album tracks seems so . . . 1995.

Doesn't everyone these days just build a custom playlist on Pandora or Spotify? Why would people buy this—a commercial playlist?

Never Going Back Again is live from what?

NGBA is live from the 1980 album called Live.

Murrow 09-30-2018 05:05 PM

I think essentially what we have here is an A-sides collection. For all the comparisons with the Chain box set, this one gives the Bob Welch era a much better representation.

A few changes I’d make:

Monday Morning > I’m So Afraid
Second Hand News > Songbird

The live Never Going Back Again I would jettison along with I Do which wasn’t even Chris’s best song on Time. I think Blow By Blow would actually do well in theee in the version originally recorded for the 1994 World Cup compilation. Then I’d probably include Love That Burns as Mr Wonderful is the only one of the 17 studio albums not represented here.

sodascouts 09-30-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrow (Post 1237885)
Then I’d probably include Love That Burns as Mr Wonderful is the only one of the 17 studio albums not represented here.

Strange that they didn't put something in from there, even if it was just to "represent." I wonder why not? "Love That Burns" would have been a great pick.