The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Companion thread...songs that SHOULD'VE opened an album (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=15911)

chiliD 08-26-2004 05:27 PM

Companion thread...songs that SHOULD'VE opened an album

In the other thread, we picked our favorite album openers...now, name what you think SHOULD've opened the album on the albums you didn't care for the actual opener.

Mine:

Future Games- Sands Of Time

Rumours - The Chain (Well, actually, they just should've flip-flopped the sides...side 1 should've been side 2 & vice versa...that way "Songbird" would've closed the album)

Tusk - Honey Hi

Behind The Mask-In The Back Of My Mind

Time - I Do

Say You Will - Say You Will

jbrownsjr 08-26-2004 05:58 PM

Mirage - Hold Me
Tusk - Sisters of the Moon
Future Games - Morning Rain
Say You Will - Anything but "What's the World" that song blows
Rumours - The Chain

undefinededited
BTM - In the Back of My Mind (u guys are absolutely right (for once))undefined

It's amazing how the running order of an album can change your perceptions of the album. To me Over and Over is too boring to be an album opener.

Johnny Stew 08-26-2004 06:31 PM

Rumours: "The Chain"
Tusk: "Tusk"
Mirage: "Hold Me"
Behind The Mask: "In The Back Of My Mind"

All of the other albums have pretty good openers... they either properly set the mood, or just kick-start things in a great way.

jwys_soapbox 08-26-2004 08:01 PM

Sticking to works Lindsey participated in since those are may favs...

Fleetwood Mac: "World Turning" Would have unknowingly been such a good introduction to all the soap opera stuff to come with the new line-up.

Rumours: "The Chain" The one true band song. Also ties together the theme of disintegration that haunts so much of this album.

Tusk: "Tusk" Aside from being the title track, it also hints at the difference in sound, compared to the previous albums, the listener was about to hear while still sounding somewhat FMish (the harmony vox)

Mirage: "Can't Go Back" Since this album was an effort by elements in the band to go back to the Rumours sound, this song would be a good opener

Tango: Perfect the way it it. A cymbol fades in and then the hypnotic riff, ending with an orgasmic finale that segues (?) well into the mid-tempo afterglow of Seven Wonders

Say You Will: Fine the way it is.

John

rezamatic 08-26-2004 09:35 PM

White album: Say You Love Me, then go into Monday Morning.

Rumours: I agree with The Chain. It means more than it did at the time, I think, which is why they always open with it. Otherwise SHN is a fun opener.

Tusk: I've thought this over for a while. I just don't see can open that damn album! It's like a stream of consciousness... I do like Over & Over. It just starts you off on your ride with that album of insane-Lindsey-to-soft-Christine/Stevie-and-back and brings you right back to it with Never Forget in the end. ... if anything else maybe Sisters of the Moon? Neat start.

Say You Will: I like WTWCT as opener, but I think that with that, Murrow and Illume as the first three it's a little bit of a political overload. I think it'd be good to open with WTWCT, go to Say You Will, then maybe Miranda.

On a side note - I miss the days of two-sided albums. It was neat to have 2 openers/closers. You'd want to finish side 1 off with a slow song or maybe a really impactful one, and then kick off side 2 with a great upbeat track. With Say You Will, it'd be neat to hear "Come" or "Everybody Finds Out" as an opener for a second side.

Vianna 08-26-2004 10:01 PM

Some of these albums I don't really disagree with what they used but

Rumours: should have opened with The Chain
Tusk: should have opened with Tusk
Tango: ok as is
BTM: ok as is
SYW: Say You Will

diamondsnake 08-26-2004 10:22 PM

I still think Running Through the Garden would have made a cool open for SYW. I mean this song just starts off really cool with the acoustic guitar and they just plain rocks. This would really be a different and intriguing opening song, don't you think?

ShamHy89 08-27-2004 08:35 AM

Quote:

Future Games- Sands Of Time
I agree with this. This would set the mood and atmosphere of "time" and the future perfectly.
Quote:

Rumours - The Chain
Obviously.
Quote:

Behind The Mask-In The Back Of My Mind
I totally agree here! That intro and fading into the music would be perfect. It's another great "mood setter."

Other than that, I think the others are fine, and I'm still deciding what would be a good opener for Tusk.

Shamus

HejiraNYC 08-27-2004 09:43 AM

1. White Album: "Say You Love Me" - simply the most perfect (no pun intended) pop song that starts the album off rocking.

2. Rumours: I like "Second Hand News" as the opener, but somehow I think "Go Your Own Way" would be an interesting way to open things- it just kind of starts out of nowhere and sets the room ablaze until Stevie chills it down with "Dreams."

3. Tusk: "Over and Over" is great in an oddball way, but I think "Walk a Thin Line" would be an equally effective oddball choice. It is probably the most representative of the "Tusk" sound and it has the same dreamy, morning-after-the-party mood as "Over and Over." And one could say that the band itself was walking a thin line after all of the turmoil of the previous two years.

4. Mirage: "Eyes of the World." It's rockin'; what more can I say.

5. Tango in the Night: "Tango in the Night." It is dark and epic- a haunting opener.

6. Behind the Mask: "Skies the Limit"- perfect as-is, if not grammatically incorrect!

7. Say You Will: "Say You Will." The lady has never opened an FM album, so it's long overdue. And it is the title track after all.

Cristian 08-27-2004 11:06 AM

I like the original Rumours album tracklisting, with "Second Hand News" as the opener... I would have surely changed the Tusk opening track... it should have been "Think About Me", in my opinion. Mirage should have opened with "Eyes Of The World", and Behind The Mask with "In The Back Of My Mind". Say You Will... well I could choose many, but "Bleed To Love Her" comes to mind. And yes, I agree, the Time album should've been opened by "I Do".

Solo-album speaking, I've always thought that "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" should have opened Bella Donna; and "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind" should have opened Street Angel. :)

Gailh 08-27-2004 01:15 PM

Say You Will - Friend :laugh:

Gail

cliffdweller 08-27-2004 01:34 PM

The Chain would be a great opener for Rumours, but I think SHN works just fine.

Seven Wonders should have opened Tango.

Think About Me should have opened Tusk.

Say You Love Me would have been a wonderful opener for the white album.

Eyes of The World would have made a great opener for Mirage.

macfan 57 08-28-2004 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh

Gail

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one, Gail. :thumbsup:

~nightbird~ 08-30-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh

Gail

This works for me too!

amber 08-30-2004 04:31 PM

Hey, there is a few albums i don't know the first song to. Has a Stevie song ever opened a Mac album??
AMber