The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lindsey Buckingham’s abuse of Stevie Nicks detailed in new book (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57594)

deribish 11-11-2017 03:16 PM

Lindsey Buckingham’s abuse of Stevie Nicks detailed in new book

this aint gonna go over well...

http://nypost.com/2017/11/11/lindsey...d-in-new-book/

Macfan4life 11-11-2017 03:34 PM

Nothing new reported in this article. Its all rehash. Everyone knows their break up was not fun and the tensions between the two continue until this day. The headline "abuse" is a strong word. Yes Lindsey played mind games after the break up but he also continued to make good music for her. Lindsey did throw her against the car in 1987. However according to Stevie, it was her who launched the attack at him first. According to Stevie (this is on youtube) she flew off the couch at Christine's house when Lindsey said he would not tour. She physically attacked him which made him chase her outside and he confronted her at the car. Stevie states she really thought Lindsey was going to kill her so she told him that her brother and father would track him down and kill him. In Mick's first book he writes Lindsey said "Get this psychotic bitch off me" as the two fought against the car. Lindsey eventually left.
I don't see anything new in this book or article. Lindsey did kick her on stage where he was mocking her dance and Christine ran back stage to hit Lindsey. This is the drama of Fleetwood Mac. The article headline is trolling for drama to sell books. You can read these same accounts in more detail in Micks book. During the Enchanted tour Stevie spoke at length her thoughts about the Buckingham Nicks photo shoot.
Lindsey is definitely insecure but I have been sympathetic to him lately after learning the struggles he went through creating Tango in the Night. Its amazing he stayed to finish the album and make videos with them. Stevie is a big girl and clearly can stand up to Lindsey. The drama will never stop though. I think Christine suffered more abuse from John but they don't talk about it. John admitted that he was an abusive drunk and never blamed Christine for leaving.

bombaysaffires 11-11-2017 03:47 PM

Buckingham, who said he couldn’t work because he had to devote himself to music full-time, would spend most of the day smoking hash with his friends.

Ok this is bs and this indicates that the author is only going by Stevie interviews. There's an old interview from the 70s where Lindsey talks about working for a telemarketing company selling ads in some directory that was a total scam, and how he'd have to start really early on the west coast coz he would be calling companies on the east coast. He also went out on the road with the Everly Brothers (leaving Stevie in Aspen to write Landslide about their situation). Lazy, lazy writing. He never said he wouldn't work and he never didn't work. I have no issue calling Lindsey out but the facts here are wrong.

Nicks continued to play with Fleetwood Mac, even after launching her own record label and putting out her own No. 1 album, “Bella Donna,” in 1981. She would grit her teeth as she and Buckingham would pretend to kiss after performing “Landslide” every night on tour.

I've never read this. Has anyone else heard this before? And who is this instigator of the onstage theatrics? Far more her than him, so this is suspect blaming him for initiating the kiss thing at the end of Landslide.

When recording the band’s 1977 follow-up, “Rumours,” he criticized Nicks’ writing and told her she needed him to make her songs sound halfway decent. She said he was “hijacking” her music and told her mother that her now-ex had gotten physical with her during a row and had “thrown her down to the floor.”

Has anyone ever heard of this incident before? I certainly believe it is possible, I've just never heard it. Sounds like it was something she wrote in a letter to her mother, but then I wonder how the author would have gotten his hands on it, other than thru Stevie or someone close to her which seems a bit....odd. :shrug:

Over time, Nicks continued to reach out to Buckingham, asking him to produce and play guitar on her 1996 song “Twisted.” She said they made amends in 2013 and he agreed to treat her with respect. But of course, Buckingham couldn’t dismiss Nicks any longer. The band needed her talent and fan base (which these days includes young acts such as Haim and Lana Del Rey) more than she needed them.

As Davis writes in “Gold Dust Woman,” by the time of their reconciliation, “Stevie was an American legend, but Lindsey’s star would eventually fade away.

His star faded away?? Hardly. Was he ever as famous as her, solo? Definitely not. But over time his respect as a producer and player has grown, not diminished. Why did she continue to reach out to him? Maybe because she needed his help to bail her out on certain songs?? Even Petty said Lindsey is her best producer and would do things on her songs that Tom had been struggling with, and then when he heard Lindsey's arrangement would go "Oh, duh, of course!" When Dave Stewart couldn't make Soldier's Angel work, she called Lindsey. Christine has said that Lindsey has an intuitive understanding of what she's trying to do with her songs that she, Christine, just doesn't. So again, I'm all for calling Lindsey out on stuff and I actually do believe he was physically at times and certainly emotionally abusive to her, and that she's covered for him on the physical stuff, but get your facts right.

Lola 11-11-2017 04:13 PM

What is this author thinking with the star fading away crap about Lindsey?? You did a fine job of refuting that dumb idea :)

elle 11-11-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deribish (Post 1218512)

here's the whole article for people who are lazy to click beyond the click-bait headline and think there's something new here (spoiler: there isn't) -

Lindsey Buckingham’s abuse of Stevie Nicks detailed in new book
By Raquel Laneri November 11, 2017 | 12:57pm

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham at the 1998 Grammy Awards WireImage

Stevie Nicks was nervous. It was 1973, and the then-25-year-old singer and her guitarist boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham were posing for the cover of their first album, “Buckingham Nicks.” Their record label had asked the duo to look “sexy,” and the bookish Nicks was already feeling self-conscious when the photographer told her to remove her diaphanous white blouse.

She didn’t want to do it. Buckingham lost it.

“Don’t be a f–king child,” the then-24-year-old guitarist snapped. “This is art!”

Stevie Nicks, now 69, is often referred to as the “Queen of Rock ’n’ Roll,” with more than 40 top-50 hits to her credit, both as part of the supergroup Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist. But according to “Gold Dust Woman” (St. Martin’s Press, out Nov. 21) — a new biography by Stephen Davis — she did it all despite Buckingham’s bullying and abuse.

Modal Trigger

Nicks and Buckingham met in high school in San Mateo, Calif. They were in a band called Fritz when they decided to move to Los Angeles and launch a career as a duo in 1971. Yet while Nicks hustled to make rent, cleaning houses and waiting tables, Buckingham, who said he couldn’t work because he had to devote himself to music full-time, would spend most of the day smoking hash with his friends.

“I’d come in every day and have to step over these bodies,” Nicks later recalled to Rolling Stone. “I’m tired; I’m pickin’ up their legs and cleaning under them and emptying out ashtrays.”

Nicks felt violated after the album-cover incident and when their debut bombed, she almost quit music. But in January 1975, the duo received a call: Drummer Mick Fleetwood wanted them to join his band Fleetwood Mac.

The opportunity would launch the pair to superstardom but further strain their relationship.

“When they first joined the band, Lindsey had control [over Nicks],” Mick Fleetwood said. “And, very slowly, he began to lose control. And he really didn’t like it.”

Their first album with the band, “Fleetwood Mac,” released in 1975, was a hit, but the jealous Buckingham didn’t like that Nicks’ songs “Rhiannon” and “Landslide,” about their fading romance, had eclipsed his own.

When recording the band’s 1977 follow-up, “Rumours,” he criticized Nicks’ writing and told her she needed him to make her songs sound halfway decent.

She said he was “hijacking” her music and told her mother that her now-ex had gotten physical with her during a row and had “thrown her down to the floor.”

Buckingham allegedly bullied then-girlfriend Nicks into posing topless for the cover of their first album.Michael Ochs Archives
Things went further downhill during their 1980 “Tusk” tour. At a concert in Wellington, New Zealand, Buckingham tried to trip Nicks onstage and began imitating her moves. While Nicks was singing “Rhiannon,” the guitarist stopped playing and attempted to kick her.

The rest of the band was shocked, but only singer Christine McVie confronted him about it. Buckingham, who reportedly never apologized, has stated that he doesn’t remember the incident.

Nicks continued to play with Fleetwood Mac, even after launching her own record label and putting out her own No. 1 album, “Bella Donna,” in 1981. She would grit her teeth as she and Buckingham would pretend to kiss after performing “Landslide” every night on tour.

One time, during a heated argument in front of the band in 1987, Buckingham, the book says, “manhandled Stevie, slapped her face and bent her backward over the hood of his car. He put his fingers around her neck and started to choke her.”

Nicks said: “I thought he was going to kill me.” This time, her band stood up to him. He wouldn’t lay a hand on her again.

Buckingham’s spokesperson did not reply to requests for comment.

Over time, Nicks continued to reach out to Buckingham, asking him to produce and play guitar on her 1996 song “Twisted.” She said they made amends in 2013 and he agreed to treat her with respect. But of course, Buckingham couldn’t dismiss Nicks any longer. The band needed her talent and fan base (which these days includes young acts such as Haim and Lana Del Rey) more than she needed them.

As Davis writes in “Gold Dust Woman,” by the time of their reconciliation, “Stevie was an American legend, but Lindsey’s star would eventually fade away.”

mitzo 11-12-2017 09:08 PM

Carol Ann Harris has stories of his violet temper tantrums in her book of a few years ago too.

lilyfee 11-12-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1218516)
So again, I'm all for calling Lindsey out on stuff and I actually do believe he was physically at times and certainly emotionally abusive to her, and that she's covered for him on the physical stuff, but get your facts right.

I agree. If Stevie said Lindsey was abusive toward her I would believe her, both because his exes have already alleged abuse and because we have heard about Lindsey's possessive and controlling behavior time and time again, from myriad sources. I do not think that Stevie would want to ruin Lindsey's reputation by coming forward with abuse allegations even if he had abused her.

That said, did Rita Skeeter write this article?? Nearly every quote here seems taken out of context.

I have never heard the story about Stevie telling her mother that Lindsey had thrown her to the floor however if I recall correctly, the Tango incident has been addressed numerous times and by her own admission, Stevie lunged at Lindsey in a moment of heated anger, commencing a physical altercation on both sides.

Stevie has described Lindsey as condescending toward her musical instincts and possessive of her personally however while this could constitute abuse, the article's salacious tone seems at odds with Stevie's own accounts of these events. For example, I did not think that Stevie blamed Lindsey exclusively for the Buckingham Nicks cover, although she has made it clear that she felt violated and he did not understand why. The article implies that Lindsey pressured Stevie into the topless photo shoot and that triggered her to consider quitting music.

I've never heard that Lindsey was jealous over the success of Landslide and Rhiannon, and therefore criticized Stevie's Rumours songs out of spite. Multiple sources close to Stevie have opined that Lindsey was/is Stevie's best producer and while Stevie might contend that assessment, I have never heard that Lindsey told her she would be nothing without him musically. I mean, literally, she would not have been in the band without him since they were only looking for a guitar player, but it seems that Lindsey more than anyone recognized Stevie's raw talent.

Again, if Stevie herself confirmed rumors of abuse, I would believe her but to anyone who follows the band, while these allegations contain grains of truth, overall they seem way out of context.:shrug:

AmyL 11-13-2017 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1218545)
Carol Ann Harris has stories of his violet temper tantrums in her book of a few years ago too.

Yes, Carol Ann's book goes into detail about her own abuse at his hands; her book was published by a respected small publisher, and I highly recommend it. Lindsey never made a public statement about her claims either; she had witnesses to some of it, and that may be why. I'm sorry if it's true. And I believe it. I am VERY disappointed that this new book seems to rehash previous info that all of us real fans already know about. What I remain interested in, and would ask Stevie about if I were interviewing her, is what their relationship was like between joining FM and the time they broke up. I recall her saying she immediately went out and got her own apartment. And that by September, their combined net worth was $1 million. But how did they spend their time as a couple? Were there still good times? I'm hesitant to read this book because the inevitable (from the looks of it) incorrect info will drive this diehard fan around the bend.

bombaysaffires 11-13-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyfee (Post 1218547)
I agree. If Stevie said Lindsey was abusive toward her I would believe her, both because his exes have already alleged abuse and because we have heard about Lindsey's possessive and controlling behavior time and time again, from myriad sources. I do not think that Stevie would want to ruin Lindsey's reputation by coming forward with abuse allegations even if he had abused her.

That said, did Rita Skeeter write this article?? Nearly every quote here seems taken out of context.

I have never heard the story about Stevie telling her mother that Lindsey had thrown her to the floor however if I recall correctly, the Tango incident has been addressed numerous times and by her own admission, Stevie lunged at Lindsey in a moment of heated anger, commencing a physical altercation on both sides.

Stevie has described Lindsey as condescending toward her musical instincts and possessive of her personally however while this could constitute abuse, the article's salacious tone seems at odds with Stevie's own accounts of these events. For example, I did not think that Stevie blamed Lindsey exclusively for the Buckingham Nicks cover, although she has made it clear that she felt violated and he did not understand why. The article implies that Lindsey pressured Stevie into the topless photo shoot and that triggered her to consider quitting music.

I've never heard that Lindsey was jealous over the success of Landslide and Rhiannon, and therefore criticized Stevie's Rumours songs out of spite. Multiple sources close to Stevie have opined that Lindsey was/is Stevie's best producer and while Stevie might contend that assessment, I have never heard that Lindsey told her she would be nothing without him musically. I mean, literally, she would not have been in the band without him since they were only looking for a guitar player, but it seems that Lindsey more than anyone recognized Stevie's raw talent.

Again, if Stevie herself confirmed rumors of abuse, I would believe her but to anyone who follows the band, while these allegations contain grains of truth, overall they seem way out of context.:shrug:

I agree with most of what you said, but will add, in regards to the part I bolded above, that he does seem to have been jealous of the attention she got and he has admitted so. He has said that as she got a lot of press attention with those first two albums, he saw that that enabled her to move even further away from him. He's talked about, in his words, how he had to struggle to do the right thing for her songs, because he was conflicted about it. He knew that the more successful she and her songs got, the more it would take her further away from him, the one thing he did not want. He tends to use more flowery language about it that makes it sound a lot less harsh, but in his own way is admitting to a lot of things. He'll say "I had to find my better self" to work on her stuff (i.e., fight his urge not to help her, which he's admitted, or fight the urge to do a shoddy job on her songs out of spite etc). And I totally get how hard that was for him and how natural it is to want to tell the person who hurt you by leaving you to F-off and not help on their songs. This is where I think having other producers in the studio helped them. Ken and Richard were mitigating forces and additional voices that could call him out when he was mucking up her songs to pay her back.

That's the real story I wish someone would write about-- the challenge for BOTH of them to have to keep working together. Did he take out his anger on her by being spiteful and his nasty, caustic, self? I'm sure he did. He's very good at nasty, biting, hurtful remarks and he would verbally humiliate and insult her in front of other people in the studio and make fun of how musically unsophisticated her demos were. This could not have made her feel nice toward him and probably pushed her buttons to pay HIM back at times by doing things she knew would hit his emotions. I would give him higher marks in the nasty department, he seems very skilled at the putdown and cutting remark type thing. I cannot imagine what the tension in the room must have felt like for everyone else who had to witness it during those days. :shrug:

I will add that Stevie has compared the way Lindsey loved her to the way she loved Joe Walsh.... and we know how messed up and obsessed with Joe she was for YEARS.... unable to just let it go. To the point that Tom had to tell her "don't buy that doll" years later LOL. She continued writing about her feelings for him for years and years. In the same way Lindsey could not get over his feelings for her for a very long time, according to him not really until he left the band and got some distance.

bombaysaffires 11-13-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1218513)
I think Christine suffered more abuse from John but they don't talk about it. John admitted that he was an abusive drunk and never blamed Christine for leaving.

Totally agree. There's a sordid story that won't ever get told, but was there nonetheless.

aleuzzi 11-13-2017 01:55 PM

I have a real problem with a book like this being marketed for public consumption. Stevie is the said victim of abuse, but she hasn't written it, nor has she seemed to have openly authorized the writer to create a thesis like this cobbled together from past snippets of interviews or private communications.

I'm not saying that the thesis isn't true. It might be. But Stevie herself would have to publicly stand behind the book's publication and endorse the views therein. Otherwise, it's a best hearsay and at worst muckraking and sensationalism.

bombaysaffires 11-13-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1218558)
I have a real problem with a book like this being marketed for public consumption. Stevie is the said victim of abuse, but she hasn't written it, nor has she seemed to have openly authorized the writer to create a thesis like this cobbled together from past snippets of interviews or private communications.

I'm not saying that the thesis isn't true. It might be. But Stevie herself would have to publicly stand behind the book's publication and endorse the views therein. Otherwise, it's a best hearsay and at worst muckraking and sensationalism.

i'm surprised on one hand we've heard nothing from her or her camp-- I say this because I recall her saying if Lindsay Lohan went and made a movie about her life she would rip it all over the press. (Note she has made this same threat of ripping a project in the press against FM when they have not seen eye to eye).

On the other hand, her team may have convinced her that by commenting she'd just be giving the book more press and help it sell more copies, so she should just totally ignore that it exists.

Macfan4life 11-14-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1218564)
i'm surprised on one hand we've heard nothing from her or her camp-- I say this because I recall her saying if Lindsay Lohan went and made a movie about her life she would rip it all over the press. (Note she has made this same threat of ripping a project in the press against FM when they have not seen eye to eye).

On the other hand, her team may have convinced her that by commenting she'd just be giving the book more press and help it sell more copies, so she should just totally ignore that it exists.

Stevie would never comment on this book. She nor anyone else would legitimize it. Remember when Lindsey's ex girlfriend wrote a book how crazy Stevie was with partying and leaving her contact lenses on for days and leaving her dog locked on a porch for days while she partied. She would never comment on such stuff. Everyone knows there was and still is bad blood.

sodascouts 11-14-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1218516)
When recording the band’s 1977 follow-up, “Rumours,” he criticized Nicks’ writing and told her she needed him to make her songs sound halfway decent. She said he was “hijacking” her music and told her mother that her now-ex had gotten physical with her during a row and had “thrown her down to the floor.”

Has anyone ever heard of this incident before? I certainly believe it is possible, I've just never heard it. Sounds like it was something she wrote in a letter to her mother, but then I wonder how the author would have gotten his hands on it, other than thru Stevie or someone close to her which seems a bit....odd. :shrug:

I've never heard of it and I, too, am curious if anyone knows of the source for this incident or is even familiar with it.

dontlookdown 11-15-2017 01:29 PM

snoooze.....zzzzzz....zzzzz

So not interested in relationship drama from 3, 4 decades ago.
And definitely not interested in any celebrity gossip encouraged and pushed by a conservative white trash rag like the NY Post.

I love FM for the music. Not interested in any of the manufactured drama. Boring.