The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Mike Campbell Has A Solo Album In The Can (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58308)

cbBen 11-09-2018 04:57 PM

Mike Campbell Has A Solo Album In The Can

Per the Warren Zanes biography of Tom Petty (which I highly recommend), Mike Campbell recorded a solo album but at Petty's request never released it (Petty felt Campbell sounded too similar to Petty himself and feared it would confuse their audience).

So, subject to Campbell's willingness to cannibalize his unreleased solo album, the current Fleetwood Mac lineup will have an album's worth of original Mike Campbell material from they can draw for their own album, if they make one.

Kubrick2788 11-09-2018 05:08 PM

Tp

They do sound a bit alike. Really noticeable when Mike sings 'Oh Well' during the shows. I guess the confusion argument is understandable, but that's gotta be one hell of a relationship they had if Mike has held onto that album this whole time.

cbBen 11-09-2018 05:28 PM

Mike's priority was always the Heartbreakers. He was co-leader of the band, and respected Tom's judgement and authority unequivocally. It could be misinformation, but someone on a Petty message board said that Tom paid him a million dollars a year.

SteveMacD 11-09-2018 05:38 PM

He also has a Dirty Knobs album in the can.

cbBen 11-09-2018 05:42 PM

Might be the same album.

gldstwmn 11-09-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1243552)
Mike's priority was always the Heartbreakers. He was co-leader of the band, and respected Tom's judgement and authority unequivocally. It could be misinformation, but someone on a Petty message board said that Tom paid him a million dollars a year.

I don't understand this. Wasn't he getting paid anyway from being in the band?

cbBen 11-09-2018 07:18 PM

Yes, that's what I meant. He was on salary as a member of the band. I imagine he may have earned producer and publishing royalties too, but not artist royalties as those all went to Tom, who had the band members on salary.

David 11-09-2018 07:53 PM

Benmont Tench played last night at the Largo Coronet in Los Angeles. He was joined by a Very Special Guest.

vivfox 11-10-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1243545)
Mike Campbell recorded a solo album but at Petty's request never released it (Petty felt Campbell sounded too similar to Petty himself and feared it would confuse their audience).

Jealous much?? Imagine spending all that money to produce an album and be told something as ridiculous as this. Mike obliged of course 'cause he didn't want to get on Tom's bad side probably.No one would be confused that it wasn't a Petty song. People would know it was a Mike Campbell solo tune, especially Petty's fans who would most likely be the buyers of such songs. Petty once blasted Stevie for recording a song that was set to one of his music demos without his permission. He also complained to reporters when Stop Draggin' was a huge hit but it was on Bella Donna rather than his record, Hard Promises. His actual words to the reporter were, "on a Stevie Nicks album," shared in his disdain.

gldstwmn 11-10-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1243564)
Yes, that's what I meant. He was on salary as a member of the band. I imagine he may have earned producer and publishing royalties too, but not artist royalties as those all went to Tom, who had the band members on salary.

Oh I see. I thought you were saying that Mike was being paid not to record outside of The Heartbreakers.

cbBen 11-10-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1243593)
He also complained to reporters when Stop Draggin' was a huge hit but it was on Bella Donna rather than his record, Hard Promises

He was merely upset at the timing. His single "Woman In Love" would have been a big hit had "Stop Draggin'" not been released concurrently. Tom was merely upset that they didn't stagger the single releases so both could be hits. He was right.

SteveMacD 11-10-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1243566)
Benmont Tench played last night at the Largo Coronet in Los Angeles. He was joined by a Very Special Guest.

Stan Lynch?

gldstwmn 11-12-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1243625)
Stan Lynch?

I saw something about Jackson Browne on Twitter. No idea if that was accurate.

cbBen 11-17-2018 12:01 PM

Correction: It's Demos, Not An Album

An album's worth of demos, written and sung by Mike, per pages 288-91 of the Warren Zanes book.

The point of confusion is that while the author refers to the recordings as demos, the interview subject (Heartbreakers crew chief Alan "Bugs" Weidel) says, "Mike had made an album."

The full context points to the recordings being demos.

gldstwmn 11-17-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1243951)
An album's worth of demos, written and sung by Mike, per pages 288-91 of the Warren Zanes book.

The point of confusion is that while the author refers to the recordings as demos, the interview subject (Heartbreakers crew chief Alan "Bugs" Weidel) says, "Mike had made an album."

The full context points to the recordings being demos.

This is good. It give me hope the Fleetwood Mac will take a crack at The Mixdown AKA Love and War.