The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RIP Estelle Getty (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=36754)

JohnL 07-22-2008 12:26 PM

RIP Estelle Getty

I just saw that Estelle Getty passed away this morning. She was 84. So sad...I still love watching The Golden Girls and she was my favorite.

Musicman408 07-22-2008 02:22 PM

Oh no, did she really? I had been trying to follow her condition and all.

I loved that show.

RIP:distress:

GODDESS6 07-22-2008 04:30 PM

bless her little heart, my granny died from demetia also & it is horrible to watch~
i didn't watch golden girls alot, but when i did, i thought she was the best funniest one of the bunch~
RIP estelle:angel:~

Villavic 07-22-2008 04:41 PM

What a sad new, I loved G.Girls.. I still watch it in Lifetime every time I go to the US..

Getty, who had advanced dementia, died about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday at her Hollywood Boulevard home, said her son, Carl Gettleman of Santa Monica.

"Estelle always wanted to be an actress, and she achieved that goal beyond her dreams," former "Golden Girls" co-star Rue McClanahan said. "Don't feel sad about her passing. She will always be with us in her crowning achievement, Sophia."

"Our mother-daughter relationship was one of the greatest comic duos ever, and I will miss her," Bea Arthur said in a statement.

"The only comfort at this moment is that although Estelle has moved on, Sophia will always be with us," BettyWhite said.

After her success in "The Golden Girls," other roles came her way. She played Cher's mother in "Mask," Sylvester Stallone's in "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" and Barry Manilow's in the TV film "Copacabana." Other credits included "Mannequin" and "Stuart Little" (as the voice of Grandma Estelle).

"The Golden Girls," which ran from 1985 to 1992, was an immediate hit, and Sophia, who began as a minor character, soon evolved into a major one.

kathy1 07-22-2008 05:05 PM

that is sad news she was one of my favorite's on the show. she will be missed.

jmn3 07-22-2008 07:05 PM

RIP Sophia....a sad day indeed but at least her suffering is over.

CharmedHour 07-22-2008 10:58 PM

How sad, I am sorry to hear this... :distress:

hs421139 07-22-2008 11:19 PM

LIFETIME TELEVISION PAYS TRIBUTE TO GOLDEN GIRL ESTELLE GETTY WITH
10 SPECIAL EPISODES OF THE POPULAR SERIES,
FRIDAY, JULY 25 FROM 12-5PM (ET/PT)

FANS CAN VOTE AT MYLIFETIME.COM FOR FAVORITE “SOPHIA” EPISODE

NEW YORK – This Friday, July 25, Lifetime Television will pay a special on-air and online tribute to Estelle Getty, who played the cantankerous “Sophia Petrillo” on the iconic comedy series “The Golden Girls.” Ms. Getty passed away today at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 84.

From 12-5PM (ET/PT), Lifetime will air 10 episodes showcasing “Sophia” in all her blustering, sarcastic splendor, beginning with the show’s pilot. The last episode at 4:30PM (ET/PT) will be the #1 favorite “Sophia episode” as decided through a vote of her legion of devoted fans at myLifetime.com.

“The Golden Girls” premiered on Lifetime in 1997. The series airs weekdays from 9-10AM, 4-5PM and 1-2AM, all ET/PT.

:( Rest in peace Estelle, you will never be forgotten.

AlanC 07-22-2008 11:49 PM

Picture it! Heaven 2008

RIP Sophia