The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mick admits FM lied & Lindsey was telling the truth all along (Mojo) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58619)

elle 03-20-2019 06:26 PM

Mick admits FM lied & Lindsey was telling the truth all along (Mojo)

i think May 2019 Mojo thread is way too long and too convoluted. what's in that article needs a new discussion thread now when we actually got to read the whole thing.

some things i enjoyed about the article and interviews;
  • Mick finally admitting he / the band lied in CBS interview and all their PR, and that it was Stevie who pulled the trigger as Lindsey was saying from the start :nod: :thumbsup:
  • Christine saying that the issue was between Stevie and Lindsey, not the rest of the band
  • Billboard article came out the same day where their managers (Sheryl Lewis and Carl Stubner) stick with the original April 2018 script they sent to all outlets. it looked completely ridiculous having 2 completely different version coming out from the band members and from their management on the same day
  • some of the song descriptions
  • Rick Vito saying he's watching "with interest" what's going on with the band now
  • Mick basically saying "screw you" to all the fans being unhappy with the band and their lies on social media :]:]

there are more but these are what i can remember right now.

button-lip 03-20-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1250792)
i think May 2019 Mojo thread is way too long and too convoluted. what's in that article needs a new discussion thread now when we actually got to read the whole thing.

some things i enjoyed about the article and interviews;
  • Mick finally admitting he / the band lied in CBS interview and all their PR, and that it was Stevie who pulled the trigger as Lindsey was saying from the start :nod: :thumbsup:
  • Christine saying that the issue was between Stevie and Lindsey, not the rest of the band
  • Billboard article came out the same day where their managers (Sheryl Lewis and Carl Stubner) stick with the original April 2018 script they sent to all outlets. it looked completely ridiculous having 2 completely different version coming out from the band members and from their management on the same day
  • some of the song descriptions
  • Rick Vito saying he's watching "with interest" what's going on with the band now
  • Mick basically saying "screw you" to all the fans being unhappy with the band and their lies on social media :]:]

there are more but these are what i can remember right now.

I hope a couple of years from now Lindsey can watch them "with interest" from afar, just like Rick is doing now. And smile. :thumbsup:

elle 03-20-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1250676)
Ooh la la. Thanks for posting.

This confirms what we thought. Not all members of the band were mad at him. There's no secret heinous conduct by Lindsey that they have been concealing for the world's sake, which would justify his ouster. No magic elixir which will prove that Stevie, as always, is absolved of all guilt and responsibility.

It was the age old feud between Lindsey and Stevie and they backed the money horse, no matter how much Lindsey had given to them from the seventies to the present. Christine's comment that they either had to kick him out or disband says it all. Well, gee how could you possibly disband when all that money was lying on the table. Better to stab Lindsey in the back (well, um, heart actually) and go on with the show.

yup. there are tons of little quotes dispersed all over the article making it crystal clear that they went with protecting the corporation over protecting the band and the legacy. for example this little nugget:

"Which means, of course, that Christine McVie was put in the awkward position of having to make a choice - to take one for the team, as is said - and essentially take the side not of her most worthy artistic collaborator, but of ensuring that Fleetwood Mac, the corporate entity, might continue as deserved. It was not an easy spot to be in."

rhiannondontgo 03-20-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1250802)
yup. there are tons of little quotes dispersed all over the article making it crystal clear that they went with protecting the corporation over protecting the band and the legacy. for example this little nugget:

"Which means, of course, that Christine McVie was put in the awkward position of having to make a choice - to take one for the team, as is said - and essentially take the side not of her most worthy artistic collaborator, but of ensuring that Fleetwood Mac, the corporate entity, might continue as deserved. It was not an easy spot to be in."

Has anyone posted the whole article yet? I’ve only seen bits & pieces so far (maybe i’m just out of the loop :sorry:)

elle 03-20-2019 07:41 PM

another excerpt (Mojo May 2019) - starting from a part of Mick's interview (and no Mick, not everyone knows that. you are trying to ensure people don't know that):
"And so it's been fun," Fleetwood says. "And this is no deference in any way to Lindsey. Lindsey is totally unique, and he always has that, and he will always have full kudos of being a major, major part of the history of this band. We know that. You know that. But it's about once you've made a decision to go forward..."

Exactly why that decision was made isn't something anyone's eager to talk about, least of all the musicians involved in the settlement. But all signs point to Stevie Nicks being miffed at Buckingham's on-stage behaviour at the MusiCares benefit to honour the band in New York early last year.

Two days after that event, "[Band manager] Irving Azoff called me up and he was basically screaming at me," Buckingham told CBS News in early December. "He was screaming at me on the phone saying, "You've really done it this time." And I had no idea what he was talking about. He said, "Stevie never wants to be on stage with you again," and I'm going, Why?"
According to Azoff, Buckingham said, Nicks had complained that the guitarist had smirked behind her that night when she gave her acceptance speech.
"Irving told me a couple of days later she'd given the band an ultimatum, and either I had to go or she was going to go," Buckingham said.
love how they now admit it was all Stevie, yet they still don't want to address why was decision made.

elle 03-20-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo (Post 1250804)
Has anyone posted the whole article yet? I’ve only seen bits & pieces so far (maybe i’m just out of the loop :sorry:)

no, it's behind the paywall. i bought an online instant download on Mojo app. i have the article, and there are people on fb that have been sharing more of the interviews, including screenshots.

i'm transcribing little excerpts here, but i definitely have no time or inclination to transcribe the whole thing. i don't know what the policy is here of posting the screenshots of the whole interview?

wayner 03-20-2019 07:47 PM

Hi Elle

I've been sitting on the edge of the ledge for a long time hoping against hope that all would be OK but i've had it with
mr meet and $$$$$..... Stev$$ and ChrisT$$$ and Joh$ too

in Atlantic City 2009 this group opened my eyes and ears (Unleashed june 13)to music in general and made me feel young again , for that i must thank them ,I now am a dedicated follower of most 'classic rock' groups : The Mac and Lindsey and stev$$ solo have always been our # 1 choice but the MAC always included Lindsey, and i never really realized how the whole must be comprised of ALL its parts to work . we saw them again at the same venue almost 10 years later and it was not the same ... and having followed all the drama etc 'on line' for almost a year i have now reluctantly realized/ accepted that it was a collective decision to self-destruct and there was one person who pulled the pin from the grenade

RIP Fleetwood Mac

elle 03-20-2019 07:58 PM

more excerpts:
And there you have it, the proverbial rock and hard place, complicated by the fact that the last batch of new Fleetwood Mac product, if you will, was the Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie album, released in 2017 and probably the finest bit of Fleetwood-related product since Tango In The Night, 30 years and many dollars ago. On it was every member of the "Rumopurs Five" but Nicks, who apparently had other commitments. A smallish, low-key tour featuring Buckingham and McVie followed, but it was emphatically not Fleetwood Mac - especially for those keeping box-office score.
i find this bit so telling - it's the crux of why the band - and even more, managers - went with Stevie. and it's also why she gave an ultimatum in the first place, at this time - she just finished arena tour, they just finished smaller shed tour. in reality "smallish" is such interesting term to use, considering their tour probably had more dates than Stevie's tour that was spread over 2 years. so while it might be implied smallish may mean not many dates, what it really clearly means is what i highlighted in red at the end of that sentence - :nod:

elle 03-20-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner (Post 1250807)
Hi Elle

I've been sitting on the edge of the ledge for a long time hoping against hope that all would be OK but i've had it with
mr meet and $$$$$..... Stev$$ and ChrisT$$$ and Joh$ too

in Atlantic City 2009 this group opened my eyes and ears (Unleashed june 13)to music in general and made me feel young again , for that i must thank them ,I now am a dedicated follower of most 'classic rock' groups : The Mac and Lindsey and stev$$ solo have always been our # 1 choice but the MAC always included Lindsey, and i never really realized how the whole must be comprised of ALL its parts to work . we saw them again at the same venue almost 10 years later and it was not the same ... and having followed all the drama etc 'on line' for almost a year i have now reluctantly realized/ accepted that it was a collective decision to self-destruct and there was one person who pulled the pin from the grenade

RIP Fleetwood Mac

i saw on fb you guys went last week. thanks for sharing your impressions! :wavey:

SteveMacD 03-20-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Of course Christine would pick Fleetwood Mac, the corporate entity, over her most worthy artistic collaborator. Her fortunes had been tied to that corporate entity for fifty years by that point, first as John’s wife and then as a bandmate.

BombaySapphire3 03-20-2019 08:18 PM

I have been a fan since the 1970s and have purchased everything since then (minus the Time album.) I have not spent a cent on this band since Lindsey was fired.I will support any future work he does .

SteveMacD 03-20-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1250792)

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I mean, look at the setlist. If there was a sudden parting of ways Mike for whatever reason (not to suggest there’s trouble in paradise), Rick’s probably the only guitarist who could come in and hit the ground running, and he knows that.

bombaysaffires 03-20-2019 08:24 PM

"And so it's been fun," Fleetwood says. "And this is no deference in any way to Lindsey. Lindsey is totally unique, and he always has that, and he will always have full kudos of being a major, major part of the history of this band. We know that. You know that. But it's about once you've made a decision to go forward..."

ok well in addition to looking up the definition of "democracy" for Chris, ole Mick needs to look up the meaning of the word "deference". Showing deference means showing respect or regard for someone, either because you personally respect them or because of their position (ex., showing deference to the Queen of England).

So....."this is no deference in any way to Lindsey" is a weird sentence based on the words he used and what they actually mean vs what he *thinks* they mean in his usual word salad. Using lots of word doesn't make you sound any smarter, Mick.

Storms123 03-20-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

This is disgusting---truly disgusting. Who is that quoting?

SteveMacD 03-20-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1250821)
Using lots of word doesn't make you sound any smarter, Mick.

Lindsey and Mick both use a lot of words to say very little.