The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The worst of Stevie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51279)

Johnny Stew 01-19-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 1072950)
I've become much more forgiving over the years, having developed a healthy love/hate relationship with Stevie's more questionable lyrics and songs. They represent and expose an off-kilter and out-of-sorts side of Stevie.

A Stevie clunker is not like any other...unusually unique.

Often times I love the songs that other fans classify as "clunkers" or "the worst," even more than the widely recognized classics.

You said it perfectly -- my fondness for them has a great deal to do with the side of Stevie they illuminate. The woman is a full-on, unapologetic eccentric, and that's one of my favorite things about her.

bombaysaffires 01-19-2013 03:24 PM

Jane, Jane, and Jane. I am always amazed (and appalled-- hey, you said get feisty) at the love for this song. Total embarrassment. Ick. Skip it every time.

Wattsamattababy. Ooops, I mean When I See You Again. though I love the vibe of the song, the vocals and c'mon, the lyrics...baby...baby..wassamatta baby.... lazy.

Desert Angel. A hot mess that part of me likes but the logical part of me finds a total sloppy mess that could have used some Lindsey-imposed discipline.

That Made Me Stronger. the verses and the chorus sound like they were pasted together from two totally different, unrelated songs.

Jondalar 01-19-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1072937)
As far as solo stuff goes..

I'd have to say MOST of her stuff on OsoTM is absolutely dreadful. There are maybe 1 or 2 high points but... even those high points aren't very high.

Street Angel is similar to OsoTM in terms of crappiness.

There are some pretty bad songs on her other albums too (I'm looking at you, Rock a Little and TISL), but I don't think any of them reach the true depths of god-awful that most of the songs on SA and OsoTM effortlessly descend into.

This is the way I pretty much feel.

cactusjack 01-19-2013 06:54 PM

LOL, most of the songs mentioned in this thread are among my favourites.

BombaySapphire3 01-19-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew (Post 1072979)
Often times I love the songs that other fans classify as "clunkers" or "the worst," even more than the widely recognized classics.

You said it perfectly -- my fondness for them has a great deal to do with the side of Stevie they illuminate. The woman is a full-on, unapologetic eccentric, and that's one of my favorite things about her.

The funny thing about Stevie is although she readily admits to being eccentric she has always had a tendancy to go with what she feels are conservative and commercial choices in producers and collaberators in presenting her music.Particularly if you compare her with other eccentrics like Bjork or Kate Bush who have made real attempts to push the bounds of pop/rock music.The one time when she really allowed Lindsey to move her songs in that direction resulted in what many fans including myself consider to be the artistic highpoint of her career.Her natural eccentricity still manages to seep through in alot of her work nonetheless .

tbaker3 01-21-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 1072911)
Let's see....

"That Made Me Stronger" -- Too literal.
"Desert Angel" -- I know she meant well, but come on..."I was born in the desert, so I know how it feels there." :rolleyes: And her screaming "Operation Desert Shield! Operation Desert Storm!" is laughable.
"Love Is Like a River"
"One More Big Time Rock and Roll Star" -- Nonsensical babble. Though I do like when the chorus kicks in.
"Cry Wolf"

From FM:
"When I See You Again"
"Not Make Believe"
"Freedom"

One of my FAVORITE songs! Released or otherwise! But I am a sucker for her self indulgient songs!

tbaker3 01-21-2013 09:57 AM

It is kind of a wonderful thing, however, that her style has become so broad over the years that we as individuals have got our personal high-highs and low-lows with her music. Yet there is still something for everyone.

olive 01-21-2013 10:16 AM

any song not about Lindsey:rolleyes:

Blueletter18 01-21-2013 11:09 AM

Some of the worst for me are:

Beauty and the Beast (I know, I know. But if it weren't for this song, The Wild Heart would be my favorite album)
Jane
Alice
Juliet
Whole Lotta Trouble
New Orleans
Cheaper than Free
That Made Me Stronger
Love Is

And I actually really like:
Imperial Hotel
Gate and Garden

bluefox4000 01-21-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueletter18 (Post 1073088)

Beauty and the Beast (I know, I know. But if it weren't for this song, The Wild Heart would be my favorite album)
Jane
Alice
Juliet
Whole Lotta Trouble
New Orleans
Cheaper than Free
That Made Me Stronger
Love Is

Imperial Hotel
Gate and Garden

This was the song I left out...lol....yea bordering on self-parody.:rolleyes:

Mick

turquoise5 01-21-2013 12:52 PM

I like this song too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbaker3 (Post 1072891)
Elaborate on Jane, if you will. It seems to be one that comes up over and over again that people dont like. To me, it's a classic Stevie sound. And PLEASE don't tell me because the word chimpanzee is in the song. It's such a shame that a single word can ruin such a great song for so many people.

The song is a tribute to Jane Goodall, who spent her life conducting research by observing the behavior of chimpanzees. It's a shame so many people don't realize that. Stevie's singing about the chimps makes so much sense here; it really fits in well. She's certinly not being vague or self-serving with these lyrics.

michelej1 01-21-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turquoise5 (Post 1073097)
It's a shame so many people don't realize that.

Casual fans might not know that, but I think everyone here knows exactly what the song is about.

Michele

Jondalar 01-21-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turquoise5 (Post 1073097)
The song is a tribute to Jane Goodall, who spent her life conducting research by observing the behavior of chimpanzees. It's a shame so many people don't realize that. Stevie's singing about the chimps makes so much sense here; it really fits in well. She's certinly not being vague or self-serving with these lyrics.

I know who Jane Goodall is. I think most people do.

mitzo 01-21-2013 07:32 PM

Then what is the issue with a line about chimpanzees in song about someone who devoted her life to chimpanzees.

mitzo 01-21-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueletter18 (Post 1073088)

Jane
Alice
Juliet
Whole Lotta Trouble
New Orleans
Cheaper than Free
That Made Me Stronger
Love Is

Imperial Hotel
Gate and Garden

I love Beauty and the Beast, that slow dragged out overblown drama is my Stevie. Also love the whirling dervish roller coaster and hollering of Whole Lotta Trouble, and the weepy melodrama of Love Is.