The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's your least liked song from each album? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58518)

Andyleo 01-23-2019 10:14 PM

What's your least liked song from each album?

What's your least liked song from each Stevie album? We've all said what our favourites are, now I'm curious to see what are the least enjoyed songs off each album. And thanks in advance...

Here's mine:
BD~ The Highwayman
TWH~ I Will Run To You
RAL~ Rock A Little (Go Ahead Lily) (But love the extended remix)
TOSOTM~ Whole Lotta Trouble
Timespace~ Whole Lotta Trouble
SA~ Destiny/Jane
Enchanted~ Sweet Girl:eek:
TISL~ Every Day
CV~ Landslide [Live]
Soundstage~ Crash Into Me
IYD~ Cheaper Than Free
24KG~ Carousel

I don't necessarily dislike these selections, just like them the least.

Macfan4life 01-24-2019 06:29 AM

Andyleo
I agree with you so much about the song RAL. I thought I was the only one. The first time I heard the album cut of the song, I was shocked. How in the world was this allowed on an album. Stevie's voice is almost inaudible at times. She also flubs the lyrics majorly in the first verse which sort of ruins the meaning of the song. Waddy does a fine job at trying to save the song with his guitar licks but it sounds like a song that took no time to record. Remember those casio keyboards from the 80s that had preprogrammed background tracks? That is what the song sounds like to me. Never cared for the song until I heard the extended track. I actually like the extended track which is not really an extended track but IMHO seems to be the original song. I don't know if space was limited on the album and needed to cut back the song or somehow the album track was put on the album by accident.
The extended track has a better Stevie vocal. She does not sound like she is coked out with laryngitis. She nails the lyrics according to the album sleeve. But the bridge with the keyboards is what the song needs to make it a complete song IMHO. I just don't see how anyone would not pick the extended track to put on the album.

IMHO, every version of The Nightmare I have heard is also better than the album track.

I think possibly people got bored listening to this album and producing it for so long than when something "fresh" came along it seemed better to them and they put it on the album.

Some become strangers is another one. Heard way better versions that is what is on the album.

Long story short.....you are not alone.

BLY 01-24-2019 07:31 AM

Over the years my favorites and least favorites change but Love is Like a River from Street Angel has always been on the top of list for my least favorite.

mitzo 01-24-2019 09:42 AM

Here are mine, some albums have more than one stinker:

BD~ The Highwayman
TWH~ Enchanted
RAL~ Sister Honey
TOSOTM~ Ghosts
Timespace~ Love's a Hard Game to Play
SA~ Just Like a Woman/Love is Like a River
Enchanted~ Violet and Blue/Blue Lamp/One More Big Time Rock and Roll Star/Gold and Braid (sorry, I cannot stand Stevie in this genre)
TISL~ Too Far from Texas
Soundstage~ Crash Into Me
IYD~ For What It's Worth
24KG~ Watch Devil/Hard Advice

DashingDan 01-24-2019 10:59 AM

BD~ The Highwayman
TWH~ I Will Run To You
RAL~ I Can't Wait
TOSOTM~ Two Kinds of Love
Timespace~ (pass)
SA~ Street Angel
Enchanted~ (pass)
TISL~ It's Only Love
CV~ (pass)
Soundstage~ (pass)
IYD~ Cheaper Than Free
24KG~I Don't Care/Lady

Neal 01-24-2019 12:20 PM

Excluding releases that had no new or unreleased material -

Bella Donna: "Kind of Woman"

The Wild Heart: "Enchanted" / "Gate and Garden"

Rock A Little: "Sister Honey"

The Other Side of the Mirror: "Two Kinds of Love"

TimeSpace: "Desert Angel"

Street Angel: "Jane"

Enchanted: "Reconsider Me"

Trouble in Shangri-La: "That Made Me Stronger"

In Your Dreams: "Italian Summer"

24 Karat Gold: "Cathouse Blues" / "Hard Advice"

DashingDan 01-24-2019 07:00 PM

Thanks for this thread. No one has their dukes up and no one is hollering.

It's fun to see/compare these lists.

DashingDan 01-24-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1247801)
IMHO, every version of The Nightmare I have heard is also better than the album track.

Enthusiastically agree with the above.

Jondalar 01-24-2019 07:05 PM

1. BD = Think About It
2. WH = I Will Run To You
3. RL = The Nightmare
4. OTOSM = I still miss someone
5. SA = Street Angel
6. TISL = That Made Me Stronger
7. IYD = For What’s Worth
8. 24k = I Don’t Care
9. TimeSpace = Desert Angel

Andyleo 01-24-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1247801)
Andyleo
I agree with you so much about the song RAL. I thought I was the only one. The first time I heard the album cut of the song, I was shocked. How in the world was this allowed on an album. Stevie's voice is almost inaudible at times. She also flubs the lyrics majorly in the first verse which sort of ruins the meaning of the song. Waddy does a fine job at trying to save the song with his guitar licks but it sounds like a song that took no time to record. Remember those casio keyboards from the 80s that had preprogrammed background tracks? That is what the song sounds like to me. Never cared for the song until I heard the extended track. I actually like the extended track which is not really an extended track but IMHO seems to be the original song. I don't know if space was limited on the album and needed to cut back the song or somehow the album track was put on the album by accident.
The extended track has a better Stevie vocal. She does not sound like she is coked out with laryngitis. She nails the lyrics according to the album sleeve. But the bridge with the keyboards is what the song needs to make it a complete song IMHO. I just don't see how anyone would not pick the extended track to put on the album.

I think possibly people got bored listening to this album and producing it for so long than when something "fresh" came along it seemed better to them and they put it on the album.

Some become strangers is another one. Heard way better versions that is what is on the album.

Long story short.....you are not alone.

Yes, for a title track I was very disappointed with the song Rock A Little. However, when I bought the 7" single (I think it was) Talk To Me and noticed the different running length for side B Rock A Little I was curious and played it. Fell in love instantly. It is so much warmer and delicate than the LP cut. Maybe it was the running length that made them leave it off the album. I'll have to add up the times and see. I laughed when I read your casio keyboard comment... yes tho!

And I totally agree with you about The Nightmare. I can only listen to the special 12" remix these days.

And you know, it's great to know I'm not alone lol:]

Andyleo 01-24-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DashingDan (Post 1247829)
Thanks for this thread. No one has their dukes up and no one is hollering.

It's fun to see/compare these lists.

Haha, I've always wanted to know and compare peoples opinions on this.

So far so good, no bickering lol:angel:. Song tastes are so objective, everyone's opinion is right for them.

GypsySorcerer 01-24-2019 11:14 PM

Bella Donna: After the Glitter Fades (but I still like it)

The Wild Heart: Gate and Garden

Rock A Little: The Nightmare

The Other Side of the Mirror: Cry Wolf/Two Kinds of Love

TimeSpace: Desert Angel

Street Angel: Love is Like a River/Listen to the Rain

Enchanted: Rhiannon

Trouble in Shangri-La: That Made Me Stronger/Love Changes

In Your Dreams: Cheaper than Free

24 Karat Gold: I Don't Care

DashingDan 01-25-2019 11:58 PM

i like your (but I still like it) qualifier. I am attaching it to my choice of I Can't Wait. I don't HATE that song, I just think it was a squandered opportunity. Her wild presence is on that recording for sure, but imo the vocal is super sloppy, she went for it but she was beginning to paint by numbers, and it's a harbinger of things to come.

Netter75 01-26-2019 09:49 AM

1. Bella Donna: The Highwayman (although I understand why it's on the album, would have much preferred Blue Lamp, Sleeping Angel, Julia, or Gold& Braid have made the cut)

2. The Wild Heart: Gate and Garden (it's not a bad song but it's filler for sure and the song I remember the least. Violet and Blue, All the Beautiful Worlds or Sorcerer would have been good replacements).

3. Rock a Little: I Sing For the Things. At least all the dumb pop songs are amusing, this song is forgettable as hell and has one of her worst vocals of all time. If I had to replace it with a slow sing it'd be Night Gallery or Battle of the Dragon.

4. Other Side of the Mirror: Most of the album doesn't register for me in one way or another but the instrumental for I Still Miss Someone is pretty offensive. I'd probably replace it with Beautiful Ghost if I could MAJORLY overhaul that song.

5. Street Angel: Unconditional Love. I have an irrational hatred of this song. It bored me to tears. Chuck it for Thousand Days for sure.

6. Trouble in Shangri-La: Love Changes (I don't hate the choruses but the verses flownhorribkt and those drum machines make it sound like a demo. The whole thing sounds unfinished. Would have replaced it with My Hesrt or Thrown Down.

7. Cheaper Than Free: it's not horrible but I never listen to it. My Heart would have been a better addition, but not as a closer. Maybe shift Moonlight to the end.

8. 24 Karat Gold: I Don't Carez followed closely by Cathouse Blues.

On Ice 01-26-2019 10:07 AM

Bella Donna is the hardest to pick as it is the essential album:

BD- Kind of Woman- a bit unfinished but still like it, although it is BD's weakest track IMO
Wild Heart- I will Run To You
Rock a Little- I sing for the Things- the faster version is better, but the lyrics are cringeworthy as history has shown she "does" sing for the $$$. :) I dont like this album as a whole and feel it killed any momentum in her solo career.
The Other Side of the Mirror- I still miss someone- terrible and shouldn't have made the cut
Street Angel- Jane, Docklands, Love is Like a River (tied)
Trouble in Shangri La- Love Changes (same as others comments)
In Your Dreams- Wide Saragasso Sea- Unnecessary overly long and fake sounding.
24 K- Carosel- why a cover song with so many demos to choose from- makes no sense.
Sorry, I don't like any of the new songs on the compilations although I did like Love's a hard game to play back in '91- hasnt aged that well.