The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I forgot...there was a keith olsen lawsuit (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58883)

BigAl84 03-17-2020 12:52 PM

I forgot...there was a keith olsen lawsuit

Not shocked the band hasn't recognized him when he passed...

http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/keitholsen.html

Diddly-squat is what we call it in Australia.
That's Yiddish for baby ****. Anyway, I was working on some band that I can't remember what it was. Then I met Mick Fleetwood and he wanted to hear… because he was looking for some place he could make an album really cheap. And so I said, well you know there's this studio called Silent City. You can make pretty cheap albums out there, we'll make a deal with them. And he asked me to produce the record. And on New Year's Eve he called me and says, 'Well Keith I got some good news and bad news. The bad news is, Bob Welch has left the band so we won't be starting that album in February'. And I went, 'Here we go.' (laughs). 'But the good news is, you know those two kids, who were they? Lindsey and Stevie? Do you think they'd want to join my band? Could you go and find out?' And I took 12 hours of constant pounding on them to try to convince them to join Fleetwood Mac on a trial basis only. And they joined Fleetwood Mac as a trial basis and they said they'd do it just for 6 weeks. Then they got better, then they found out that they were making money, just because her brother's paying their salary at 500 bucks a week. They said, well this is great. We went into the studio, 3 months later we came out with that album.

And a legend was born.

And a legend was born.
I worked with them on that album. And then I really don't want to say what happened. I'm still friends with Lindsey and Stevie to this day. But I don't really speak very much to the rest of them. There was, just a nasty lawsuit. Justt wanted to get paid, that's all I wanted to do is get my percentage. And so anyway…

So it goes.

So they went and decided to go and hire this kid who was my second engineer to be their 'engineer' because they could save money. A million and a half dollars later they finished. But it was hard to work with somebody when you're in a lawsuit with them.

HomerMcvie 03-17-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1256843)

That's Yiddish for baby ****. Anyway, I was working on some band that I can't remember what it was. Then I met Mick Fleetwood and he wanted to hear… because he was looking for some place he could make an album really cheap. And so I said, well you know there's this studio called Silent City. You can make pretty cheap albums out there, we'll make a deal with them. And he asked me to produce the record. And on New Year's Eve he called me and says, 'Well Keith I got some good news and bad news. The bad news is, Bob Welch has left the band so we won't be starting that album in February'. And I went, 'Here we go.' (laughs). 'But the good news is, you know those two kids, who were they? Lindsey and Stevie? Do you think they'd want to join my band? Could you go and find out?' And I took 12 hours of constant pounding on them to try to convince them to join Fleetwood Mac on a trial basis only. And they joined Fleetwood Mac as a trial basis and they said they'd do it just for 6 weeks. Then they got better, then they found out that they were making money, just because her brother's paying their salary at 500 bucks a week. They said, well this is great. We went into the studio, 3 months later we came out with that album.

And a legend was born.

And a legend was born.
I worked with them on that album. And then I really don't want to say what happened. I'm still friends with Lindsey and Stevie to this day. But I don't really speak very much to the rest of them. There was, just a nasty lawsuit. Justt wanted to get paid, that's all I wanted to do is get my percentage. And so anyway…

So it goes.

So they went and decided to go and hire this kid who was my second engineer to be their 'engineer' because they could save money. A million and a half dollars later they finished. But it was hard to work with somebody when you're in a lawsuit with them.

Mick has a history of screwing people out of what's rightfully theirs. #douchecanoe

Villavic 03-18-2020 10:52 AM

We don’t know what exactly happened but I do know businesses are businesses. Ask Xerox about Steve Jobs, Ask the MacDonald’s founders about Ray Kroc. Ask George Cukor about his friend David O. Selznick. Ask Tim Paterson about who became billionaire with his DOS. If there are “villains” who screwed people, there is a LOT of stories about it.

When it comes to "what's rightfully theirs", you must read the small print, or don't sign anything.

bombaysaffires 03-18-2020 06:00 PM

well, this explains Mick not saying anything. I never expected Chris or John to say anything. But Mick.... without Keith there'd be no Rumours5, which as we know has bailed Mick out more than once or twice.

But, as Keith said, he was still friendly with Stevie and Lindsey. So much so that when Stevie got stuck on Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You on Rock A Little in the mid 80s she turned to Keith for help.

And enough that Keith said nice things about them in various Behind the Music and other sorts of documentary stuff especially in the Sound City documentary. And they seemed to have nice things to say about him. No one thinks they were inviting each other over for dinner or hanging out and watching tv but there was a mutual professional friendliness and respect. So that still makes the S&L silence weird. I don't think anyone expects a gushing testimonial, but jeebus and simple tweet to acknowledge his passing seems pretty routine these days. :eek:

BigAl84 03-20-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1256852)
well, this explains Mick not saying anything. I never expected Chris or John to say anything. But Mick.... without Keith there'd be no Rumours5, which as we know has bailed Mick out more than once or twice.

But, as Keith said, he was still friendly with Stevie and Lindsey. So much so that when Stevie got stuck on Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You on Rock A Little in the mid 80s she turned to Keith for help.

And enough that Keith said nice things about them in various Behind the Music and other sorts of documentary stuff especially in the Sound City documentary. And they seemed to have nice things to say about him. No one thinks they were inviting each other over for dinner or hanging out and watching tv but there was a mutual professional friendliness and respect. So that still makes the S&L silence weird. I don't think anyone expects a gushing testimonial, but jeebus and simple tweet to acknowledge his passing seems pretty routine these days. :eek:

I think it's been proven that Stevie is "friendly" with a lot of people when she needs her arse bailed out, but otherwise...

SteveMacD 03-21-2020 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1256887)
I think it's been proven that Stevie is "friendly" with a lot of people when she needs her arse bailed out, but otherwise...

So, what’s Lindsey’s excuse?

mitzo 03-21-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1256896)

Probably too busy being a creative genius. Or involved in charitable activities.

elle 03-21-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

there is NO excuse - for Stevie or Lindsey. or Mick. or FM as a band. but especially for Stevie and Lindsey.

that people are looking for excuse for any of them is just another proof how cultist some of this fandom is.

elle 03-21-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1256843)

And a legend was born.

And a legend was born.

So it goes.

this cannot be more clear in asnwering the questions some were raising in the other thread - why KO was dropped as a producer on Classic 5's second album.

BombaySapphire3 03-21-2020 04:57 PM

Looks like it was Mick's greed then ..he was to the manner born. Stevie was a much nicer person back then IMO ..at least compared to who she is now.

jbrownsjr 03-22-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1256910)
Looks like it was Mick's greed then ..he was to the manner born. Stevie was a much nicer person back then IMO ..at least compared to who she is now.

She absolutely was a well grounded non-entitled human being. I adored her back then. She was her best when she wasn't making everything about herself. Loved her interviews with Jim Ladd. I listened to them as they were happening. Fame some changes people. She's now at her absolute worst.

BigAl84 03-23-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

HA Steve!! COME ON...I can answer that with my eyes closed.

Lindsey doesn't need friends to make music, he can write and produce his own material. Simple as that.

However, in terms of their silence about Keith...there is no excuse. Of all people, I'd think Lindsey would comment.

button-lip 03-23-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1256938)
HA Steve!! COME ON...I can answer that with my eyes closed.

Lindsey doesn't need friends to make music, he can write and produce his own material. Simple as that.

However, in terms of their silence about Keith...there is no excuse. Of all people, I'd think Lindsey would comment.

Throughout the years they learnt to be silent about so many people! Wonder how many were involved in a lawsuit with them…. :shrug:
It has to tell you something about Mick & co. :rolleyes:

aleuzzi 03-24-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1256943)
Throughout the years they learnt to be silent about so many people! Wonder how many were involved in a lawsuit with them…. :shrug:
It has to tell you something about Mick & co. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, even Clifford Davis had grounds for his injunction. Even though he was a ruthless, sleazy manager, he got the band to sign the fine print and then acted accordingly.

Bob Brunning's book about the band is largely worthless, but one of the things it does more than any other book about the band is expose Mick's duplicity regarding that '74 lawsuit. According to Clifford and members of Stretch and some roadies, etc, Mick was kind of keen on relaunching on the band--or at least led Clifford Davis to believe he was.

Even in Mick's own book he says "we kind of let it happen to ourselves." I wonder why, when Fleetwood and the McVies landed in LA, they found Bob Welch "very pissed off." Yeah, he was acting as "de facto manager," but he may also have been peeved by the core trio's ambiguity, and possibly Mick's duplicity. So much has not been said about that lawsuit. If we knew the whole story, I'll bet Davis would look a little less crazy than he seems.

bombaysaffires 03-24-2020 01:13 PM

pretty telling that so many people have had to resort to the legal system in order to get what is rightfully due them from Mick, speaks to his ongoing disregard for ethics, morals or rules.