The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   In The Studio w/Redbeard Interview 10/7/2018 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58168)

Lola 10-08-2018 09:23 AM

In The Studio w/Redbeard Interview 10/7/2018

http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on...ey-buckingham/

jeets2000 10-08-2018 12:46 PM

Not a lot in this, if you're looking for a "what happened" recap of winter/spring 2018.

The closest we get to that is Lindsey saying (around the 40:40 min mark) that people in show biz (and he names Stevie) can lose themselves, particularly when they become successful solo artists. "People think of you as a false god or a real god. People think of you as something which is far elevated from a human level. And the machinery, unfortunately, tends to pander to that because it greases the whole idea of doing business."

"So, people start to think of themselves in an unrealistic way. People tend to think of the world in a distorted way, in terms of how it relates to them."

He adds that the business forces people into being more selfish than they otherwise might be because of the dynamics at play in being a live performer and traveling around the world. He said people can rely on a selfishness that you couldn't get away with if you're a parent, for example, or really any other facet of everyday life.

Anyway, to me, he was saying Stevie was selfish and that kind of behavior is not punished in the music business or in a band like Fleetwood Mac, it's rewarded.

lovethemac1 10-08-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1238954)
Not a lot in this, if you're looking for a "what happened" recap of winter/spring 2018.

The closest we get to that is Lindsey saying (around the 40:40 min mark) that people in show biz (and he names Stevie) can lose themselves, particularly when they become successful solo artists. "People think of you as a false god or a real god. People think of you as something which is far elevated from a human level. And the machinery, unfortunately, tends to pander to that because it greases the whole idea of doing business."

"So, people start to think of themselves in an unrealistic way. People tend to think of the world in a distorted way, in terms of how it relates to them."

He adds that the business forces people into being more selfish than they otherwise might be because of the dynamics at play in being a live performer and traveling around the world. He said people can rely on a selfishness that you couldn't get away with if you're a parent, for example, or really any other facet of everyday life.

Anyway, to me, he was saying Stevie was selfish and that kind of behavior is not punished in the music business or in a band like Fleetwood Mac, it's rewarded.

Yes, I agree. He articulated very well how much of a bubble it becomes, and the loss of reality. He said he hopes that it didn't affect him as much as some.

It did say that it was part 1, and it ended with discussion of TITN and his leaving. Hopefully there will be a part 2.

ryan4136 10-08-2018 01:11 PM

I think he's saying that Stevie isn't/wasn't always this way. But the business has exacerbated that side of her, and she's got no other center in her life to counteract it. (He's probably talking about Mic to an extent too in that way)

I'm amazed at how he continues to not want to say anything too hurtful.

KenshiMaster16 10-08-2018 02:37 PM

I think because 1) He matured since the 80s and 2) He clearly still cares for the band enough to not be petty and hurtful despite what ever happened. Its kind of refreshing.

Feather Blade 10-08-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 (Post 1238977)
I think because 1) He matured since the 80s and 2) He clearly still cares for the band enough to not be petty and hurtful despite what ever happened. Its kind of refreshing.

He's always been more private than any of the rest of them.

jwd 10-08-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1238954)

Thanks for the recap. Lindsey is very diplomatic here. It is interesting that he does point a finger at Stevie, ultimately calling her selfish and someone with a big ego. But on the other hand he blames the business for catering to this, almost cultivating it. Lindsey is more hurt, than angry or bitter about the whole situation with FM. I do believe he wanted something more for them and their legacy. Sad it turned out differently. But for every door that closes, another one opens. I wish him the best.

KenshiMaster16 10-08-2018 03:30 PM

I think his music has always spoken for him though. His next album will be an incredibly interesting listen I think. History tells us everything. I think if, and that's a big if, he ever does anything with the Mac again it will be because of legacy and because of his dedication to that chunk of musical history, not necessarily because of certain members. Lindsey, like Chris and John, seem like incredibly loyal people. If that horn blares and calls him again, I think he will do something with them again before all is said and done, Stevie be damned in his eyes, because clearly he cares.

However, until or if that day ever arrives, I am glad he now gets to focus on himself, his solo career that his crafts together so masterfully and his family without all the band politics and drama.

jeets2000 10-08-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1238984)
Thanks for the recap. Lindsey is very diplomatic here. It is interesting that he does point a finger at Stevie, ultimately calling her selfish and someone with a big ego. But on the other hand he blames the business for catering to this, almost cultivating it. Lindsey is more hurt, than angry or bitter about the whole situation with FM. I do believe he wanted something more for them and their legacy. Sad it turned out differently. But for every door that closes, another one opens. I wish him the best.

Agreed. Interestingly, in the context of discussing what he "lost" by leaving Fleetwood Mac in 1987, he said, "For better or worse, these were people who were my best friends and worst enemies all at once, as groups tend to be, depending on what day you're talking about." He referred to them as "people I've known as well as anyone I've ever known, except my family growing up, people I've been through more with."

And then the real gut punch: "It's hard not to see them as my best friends, in many ways, still. And yet, there's a distance that can be hard because maybe it's me not being proactive about it. I know Mick is not that way."

Here's my question though: is it possible this is not a new interview? It seems kind of weird to me to be talking about his former bandmates this way and not addressing the fact that they aren't returning his calls anymore and fired him from the band? I know the question was specifically about him leaving back in the 80s, but Lindsey brings it to "today" when he says he "still" sees them as his best friends and contemplates calling them more. It doesn't jibe with his recent tweets.

Thoughts? :shrug:

KenshiMaster16 10-08-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1238991)
Agreed. Interestingly, in the context of discussing what he "lost" by leaving Fleetwood Mac in 1987, he said, "For better or worse, these were people who were my best friends and worst enemies all at once, as groups tend to be, depending on what day you're talking about." He referred to them as "people I've known as well as anyone I've ever known, except my family growing up, people I've been through more with."

And then the real gut punch: "It's hard not to see them as my best friends, in many ways, still. And yet, there's a distance that can be hard because maybe it's me not being proactive about it. I know Mick is not that way."

Here's my question though: is it possible this is not a new interview? It seems kind of weird to me to be talking about his former bandmates this way and not addressing the fact that they aren't returning his calls anymore and fired him from the band? I know the question was specifically about him leaving back in the 80s, but Lindsey brings it to "today" when he says he "still" sees them as his best friends and contemplates calling them more. It doesn't jibe with his recent tweets.

I think its his optimism coming through. If he does hold some sort of grudge, its a small one and still considers them family. Maybe he just views his ousting as an internal political decision and not a personal one? Perhaps this is his way of leaving the door open to working with Mick, John and Chris in the future? Maybe even Stevie too once the wounds heal and enough time and distance has passed.

jwd 10-08-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Good point. He very well could've been talking about when he left in '87. Probably was based on what you noted above about calling them more. But when he talks about solo success, selfishness, and what I think he is referring to as an ego, it could've applied to his '87 departure from FM or the current situation. Since I haven't listened to the interview myself, it's hard to put it in context. :shrug:

Feather Blade 10-08-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

You know, you may be right about all the interview segments being old. This is what BombaySaffires said in the older Redbeard thread below
"kinda sounds like it'll be a compilation of clips from previous interviews....they're calling it "The Best of Lindsey Buckingham"

dreamsunwind 10-08-2018 04:49 PM

This is so interesting to hear from him! I agree with what the person above said, his statement comes across classy but he does ultimately say that he thinks Stevie lives in a bubble and has an unrealistic ego. Which is a complete truth and only the most deluded fan could deny it, but it's just interesting to hear him say it.

David 10-08-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 (Post 1238986)
I think his music has always spoken for him though. His next album will be an incredibly interesting listen I think. History tells us everything. I think if, and that's a big if, he ever does anything with the Mac again it will be because of legacy and because of his dedication to that chunk of musical history, not necessarily because of certain members. Lindsey, like Chris and John, seem like incredibly loyal people. If that horn blares and calls him again, I think he will do something with them again before all is said and done, Stevie be damned in his eyes, because clearly he cares.

However, until or if that day ever arrives, I am glad he now gets to focus on himself, his solo career that his crafts together so masterfully and his family without all the band politics and drama.

The Prayer
The closing of a chapter
The opening of a door
Brings forth life
Where there was no life before
I won't be here, I'll be watching from above
Always do what you should
Always be good
When push comes to shove
Pray for guidance from above
Shadow all your hopes with love

bombaysaffires 10-08-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

this part is old. Whether this recording is old I don't know, but he's said those exact things a number of years back.