The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie Nicks: Drugs almost destroyed me (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56941)

SisterNightroad 03-14-2017 12:07 PM

Stevie Nicks: Drugs almost destroyed me

Stevie Nicks: Drugs almost destroyed me

Stevie Nicks almost completely "destroyed" her life with drugs.

The Fleetwood Mac star never wants to glamorize her heavy cocaine use in the 1970s because it "almost killed" her and her friends and was a very expensive habit to maintain and to subsequently kick.

In an interview with the new issue of Q magazine, she said: "Touring with Fleetwood Mac in the 70s, cocaine was almost part of the daily routine. But when I talk about it now, I would never want the kids of today to think that I'm saying it was something good. Because it really wasn't something good."

"It almost destroyed my life. It almost killed me and it almost killed a lot of people I know. So if anybody thinks it's safe now - it's not. It's better to just not do it, because eventually you will have to stop, so start saving your money for rehab now. It's so expensive."

Stevie is now in her fifth decade as a performer - as part of a duo, Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist - but despite her years' of experience she is still plagued by nerves before going on stage so makes sure she's as prepared as possible in order for her panic attacks not to get the better of her.

The 'Edge of Seventeen' singer said: "I'm scared, that's what I am. Before shows, some people - me, Mick (Fleetwood, drummer), we get panic attacks."

"I have always been terribly nervous before shows. So I am so rehearsed and ready that I could be dead and stand up there and still sing the right words and do the right thing."

The 68-year-old singer is always professional and even if she's feeling very ill, will hide it on stage.

She said: "Onstage is the one time you can't bemoan how you feel. Even if you have pneumonia, you have to say, 'I'm leaving that in the dressing room and I'm walking out and I'm gonna be great.' And when I come offstage, then I can burst into tears."

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story...-destroyed-me/

olive 03-14-2017 12:28 PM

interesting, who knew ? hopefully in the future she'll go in to detail of what she used and where she got them .

sorcerer999 03-14-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olive (Post 1203284)
interesting, who knew ? hopefully in the future she'll go in to detail of what she used and where she got them .

:lol::lol::lol: Seriously...interviewers have been asking her about her "drug habit" for years. The problem isn't her willingness to talk about it, because we all know that Stevie will ramble on about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING when asked...the problem is these stupid journalists who keep asking her about it. Seems almost EVERY interview with Stevie has to touch on the subject. If it's not about the overrated Rumours album, then it's about drugs. :rolleyes:

I literally have hundreds of questions for Stevie! Questions that have never been talked about or (if they have) expounded upon. None of which include Rumours or drugs.

olive 03-14-2017 01:39 PM

those are the approved question they can ask her , she has nothing really new to promote so it is the best of stevie nick interviews until then

bwboy 03-14-2017 03:00 PM

Olive, I know you hate Stevie, but it sure would be refreshing to hear you comment on a Stevie thread that wasn't negative in tone. Pretty please?

jbrownsjr 03-14-2017 03:47 PM

Let's just stay on point. The topic is Nicks: Drugs almost destroyed me. Not what is another person's opinion. Debate is fine, humor is even better, but don't call someone names because they have a different view.

Be excellent to each other.

olive 03-14-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric51078 (Post 1203320)
Best response ever!:blob1: In all reality Olive you are a bully. Your always negative, rude and you say nothing positive ever. Its always a bash against Stevie. Why don't you just switch to decaf and simmer the F down.

Really ?

I am pretty sure If I was a Bully or even told someone to "Simmer the F down " I would be banned

that is your interpretation ,who have I ever bullied ? proof please

a difference of opinion is not hate .

IN MY OPINION if you are not mature to handle that , maybe you should not be here

and where and when did I say I hated her ? proof please .

If my comments so up set your delicate sensibilities by all means feel free to block me :woohoo:

Phil 03-14-2017 04:16 PM

"...I am so rehearsed and ready that I could be dead and stand up there and still sing the right words and do the right thing."

This has seemed to be the case on more than one occasion...

jbrownsjr 03-14-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1203325)
"...I am so rehearsed and ready that I could be dead and stand up there and still sing the right words and do the right thing."

This has seemed to be the case on more than one occasion...

Haha! She might have used a different choice of words. :eek:

Macfan4life 03-14-2017 04:25 PM

This story does seem recycled. I wish she would comment on how drugs affected her music. IMHO RAL is definitely her worst album hands down. I mean what was she thinking with her funky and dated 80's beats. I know that Klonopin destroyed her writing ability but what the hell happened with RAL? Stevie used to complain she only got 3 songs every few years yet she barely wrote half the album.

SisterNightroad 03-14-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1203327)
This story does seem recycled. I wish she would comment on how drugs affected her music. IMHO RAL is definitely her worst album hands down. I mean what was she thinking with her funky and dated 80's beats. I know that Klonopin destroyed her writing ability but what the hell happened with RAL? Stevie used to complain she only got 3 songs every few years yet she barely wrote half the album.

Well, let's wait to see the full issue of the magazine, this seems only an half assed excerpt
However I understand you don't like RAL but the truth is that now it may feel dated but when it first came out it was perfectly in line with the times. The problem is that 80's music per se doesn't age well.

olive 03-14-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1203330)
Well, let's wait to see the full issue of the magazine, this seems only an half assed excerpt
However I understand you don't like RAL but the truth is that now it may feel dated but when it first came out it was perfectly in line with the times. The problem is that 80's music per se don't age well.

everyone was going for that synth pop , KISS crazy night is one

dreamsunwind 03-14-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

The problem is that 80's music per se don't age well.

EXACTLY! That's why I don't get why people sometimes complain about Tango being dated with its production when that's just how so much of the production of music at that time was. That's just the style. And while I do think it has some filler, I think several tracks off Tango are great examples of that 80s style and are great to listen to, hence why songs like Little Lies are still quite popular today.

jbrownsjr 03-14-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1203327)

I waited and waited and waited so long for RAL. I didn't hate it when it came out, but it wasn't what I expected. I did however play it 100000000 times.

Macfan4life 03-14-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

However I understand you don't like RAL but the truth is that now it may feel dated but when it first came out it was perfectly in line with the times. The problem is that 80's music per se doesn't age well.

I understand your point and agree with it. However RAL was bad (IMHO) not just because of 80's synth pop. Many of the songs were totally not Stevie. They were words that Stevie would not say. I assume the partying got so bad that besides Iovine quitting there was not great music quality and then panic hit and they ran and got some pop songs for her to sing. The songs just did not have the depth that Stevie usually brings to an album or song. So it was not just the 80's sound that I did not like.
So back to my point, drugs ruined what could have been an excellent album. Plus her voice is not in great shape on the album. It was just a 2 year party while making the album. The music just did not seem as important anymore.