The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   show me a smile performance (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25941)

aleuzzi 03-14-2006 02:25 PM

show me a smile performance

I remember reading a bio of FM from the seventies where Stevie reflected on what she knew of the band before she joined. Her response was something like "uh...not much, I remember seeing Christine perform "Show Me a Smile" on television and thinking it was nice that she was in the band."

Does anyone know of this performance and, if so, have a copy of it? I'd love to see it.

macfan 57 03-14-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I remember reading a bio of FM from the seventies where Stevie reflected on what she knew of the band before she joined. Her response was something like "uh...not much, I remember seeing Christine perform "Show Me a Smile" on television and thinking it was nice that she was in the band."

Does anyone know of this performance and, if so, have a copy of it? I'd love to see it.

I wish I did. I believe this is from a BBC performance(with Bob Welch) from July 1971. Someone mentioned this in the Pre-Rumours forum a while back. Just recently, there was a thread in that forum about your "Personal Holy Grail". I listed this BBC performance as my "Holy Grail". I'd LOVE to see this video. I have no idea if it's in circulation...probably not.

David 03-14-2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
I wish I did. I believe this is from a BBC performance(with Bob Welch) from July 1971. Someone mentioned this in the Pre-Rumours forum a while back. Just recently, there was a thread in that forum about your "Personal Holy Grail". I listed this BBC performance as my "Holy Grail". I'd LOVE to see this video. I have no idea if it's in circulation...probably not.

Odd that Stevie would have seen such a thing on American television in the mid 1970s. I don't remember much in the way of rock music broadcasting from Britain on American TV. Although it might have been that old program "Old Grey Whistle Test."

OR ... it might not have been BBC at all. It might have been an American music show (like Don Kirshner's Rock Concert).

Fans haven't suitably researched Fleetwood Mac's appearances on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert through time. There are rich veins of historical ore to mine! Fleetwood Mac's laughing & playing were seen during the opening credits of every Don Kirshner Rock Concert program!

macfan 57 03-14-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Odd that Stevie would have seen such a thing on American television in the mid 1970s. I don't remember much in the way of rock music broadcasting from Britain on American TV. Although it might have been that old program "Old Grey Whistle Test."

OR ... it might not have been BBC at all. It might have been an American music show (like Don Kirshner's Rock Concert).

Fans haven't suitably researched Fleetwood Mac's appearances on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert through time. There are rich veins of historical ore to mine! Fleetwood Mac's laughing & playing were seen during the opening credits of every Don Kirshner Rock Concert program!

I don't KNOW that it was the BBC. I just assumed that's what Stevie was referring to since they did do "Show Me A Smile" on the BBC. How many live performances of that song can there be?:laugh: Whatever it's from, I'd love to see it.

bretonbanquet 03-14-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
I wish I did. I believe this is from a BBC performance(with Bob Welch) from July 1971. Someone mentioned this in the Pre-Rumours forum a while back.

That might have been me :wavey: They recorded this song for the BBC radio show "Alan Black - Sound of the Seventies" on 1st July '71 along with 'Woman of 1000 Years' and 'Future Games', but I don't know if it was video-taped. They didn't seem to do the song often so maybe it was taped and it was this recording that Stevie saw. If it ever saw the light of day among fans, it must be well-hidden :(

Rest assured if it ever comes anywhere near me, I will procure it for the Ledgie masses :nod: