The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   KOLORS and the gig in Köln (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43484)

manfred 03-30-2010 07:56 AM

KOLORS and the gig in Hamburg
 
Hello Peter Green fans,

I got a request from the WDR – it’s the german tv-station which has shown the gig of Peter Green & Kolors that took place 12/04/1982 in Köln, Germany. Ashes on my head, but I’ve never seen that gig, so I couldn’t help them. Maybe somebody here has better informations. I know Kolors had over the years the following members:

PETER GREEN - VOCALS, LEAD GUITAR

ALFRED BANNERMAN - RHYTHM GUITAR
GUS ISIDORE - GUITAR
RONNIE JOHNSON - GUITAR

MICK WEAVER - ORGAN, PIANO
EMMANUEL RENTZOS - KEYBOARD
WEBSTER JOHNSON - KEYBORD

SPARTACUS R. - VOCALS, BASS GUITAR
WILLY BATH - BASS GUITAR
LARRY STEELE – BASS GUITAR

REG ISIDORE - DRUMS
GODFREY MCLEAN - DRUMS
GREG TERRY-SHORT – DRUMS

JEFF WHITTAKER - CONGAS, PERCUSSION


Does somebody know, who belonged to the line-up til the gig in Köln? I was always reported:
Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Mick Weaver : Organ, piano
Spartacus R. : Vocals, bass guitar
Godfrey McLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion

But now I’ve heard that’s not right.

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

dino 03-30-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred (Post 880193)
Hello Peter Green fans,

I got a request from the WDR – it’s the german tv-station which has shown the gig of Peter Green & Kolors that took place 12/04/1982 in Köln, Germany. Ashes on my head, but I’ve never seen that gig, so I couldn’t help them. Maybe somebody here has better informations. I know Kolors had over the years the following members:

PETER GREEN - VOCALS, LEAD GUITAR

ALFRED BANNERMAN - RHYTHM GUITAR
GUS ISIDORE - GUITAR
RONNIE JOHNSON - GUITAR

MICK WEAVER - ORGAN, PIANO
EMMANUEL RENTZOS - KEYBOARD
WEBSTER JOHNSON - KEYBORD

SPARTACUS R. - VOCALS, BASS GUITAR
WILLY BATH - BASS GUITAR
LARRY STEELE – BASS GUITAR

REG ISIDORE - DRUMS
GODFREY MCLEAN - DRUMS
GREG TERRY-SHORT – DRUMS

JEFF WHITTAKER - CONGAS, PERCUSSION


Does somebody know, who belonged to the line-up til the gig in Köln? I was always reported:
Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Mick Weaver : Organ, piano
Spartacus R. : Vocals, bass guitar
Godfrey McLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion

But now I’ve heard that’s not right.

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

Interesting question, dear Manfred.
On one of my copies of the gig the announcer gives the following names:

Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Alan Barnes : piano, vocals
Emmanuel Rentzos: organ, vocals
Stephan Rene: guitar, vocals
Godfrey McLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion
Durban Laverde: bass

The bass player's name is hard to hear...sounds like this guy, Durban Laverde. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Durban...Durban+Laverde
Sharksfan also has this copy of the concert, maybe he can verify the bass player's name.

Many of Kolors' various members were from the afro-pop band Osibisa.

manfred 03-30-2010 12:38 PM

Hi dino,

Spartacus R. is a bass player. His real name is Durban LaVerde. So I think that's indeed the name the announcer gave on your copy. Are you sure about the other names. The man from WDR wrote indeed about a 7-person line-up as you too listed one in your posting.

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

P.S. By the way: WDR releases often DVDs of the gigs of their Rockpalast Nights. Maybe they plan to issue Peter's/Kolors' performance soon.

Mario 03-30-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred (Post 880242)
Hi dino,

Spartacus R. is a bass player. His real name is Durban LaVerde. So I think that's indeed the name the announcer gave on your copy. Are you sure about the other names. The man from WDR wrote indeed about a 7-person line-up as you too listed one in your posting.

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

P.S. By the way: WDR releases often DVDs of the gigs of their Rockpalast Nights. Maybe they plan to issue Peter's/Kolors' performance soon.

I think this is from that gig......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akEYBI4nA18

Wouter Vuijk 03-30-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred (Post 880193)
Hello Peter Green fans,

I got a request from the WDR – it’s the german tv-station which has shown the gig of Peter Green & Kolors that took place 12/04/1982 in Köln, Germany. Ashes on my head, but I’ve never seen that gig, so I couldn’t help them. Maybe somebody here has better informations. I know Kolors had over the years the following members:

PETER GREEN - VOCALS, LEAD GUITAR

ALFRED BANNERMAN - RHYTHM GUITAR
GUS ISIDORE - GUITAR
RONNIE JOHNSON - GUITAR

MICK WEAVER - ORGAN, PIANO
EMMANUEL RENTZOS - KEYBOARD
WEBSTER JOHNSON - KEYBORD

SPARTACUS R. - VOCALS, BASS GUITAR
WILLY BATH - BASS GUITAR
LARRY STEELE – BASS GUITAR

REG ISIDORE - DRUMS
GODFREY MCLEAN - DRUMS
GREG TERRY-SHORT – DRUMS

JEFF WHITTAKER - CONGAS, PERCUSSION


Does somebody know, who belonged to the line-up til the gig in Köln? I was always reported:
Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Mick Weaver : Organ, piano
Spartacus R. : Vocals, bass guitar
Godfrey McLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion

But now I’ve heard that’s not right.

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

Hello Manfred,
I guess you (and the WDR) are referring to the Rockpalast Archiv that states the following:

KOLORS (feat.) PETER GREENBAUM
year: 1982 month: 12 day: 04
location: Markthalle Hamburg
setlist:


01 Feelings (6'30'')
02 Black Magic Woman (5'20'')
03 Words That Bite (7'10'')
04 Loser Two Times (4'05'')
05 White Boy (5'00'')
06 In The Skies (7'40'')
07 Give Thanks (6'00'')
08 Cryin' Won't Bring You Back (6'40'')
09 Make It Right (6'40'')
10 The Green Manalishi (5'40'')
11 Albatros (6'15'')
12 Earth Games (5'00'')
13 Man Of The World (6'45'')


Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Mick Weaver : Organ, piano
Spartacus R. : Vocals, bass guitar
Godfrey McLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion

What was the request of the WDR? Are they going to release a DVD of the concert with excellent video quality? That would be really nice:nod:.

sharksfan2000 03-30-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dino (Post 880220)
Sharksfan also has this copy of the concert, maybe he can verify the bass player's name.

I've been busy today but I'll see if I can give it a listen tomorrow. Looks like these are the only tracks from that show that I have:

Black Magic Woman
Words That Bite
Loser Two Times
In The Skies
Cryin Won't Bring You Back
Make It Right
Green Manalishi
Albatross

Before or after which song is the band introduction?

It would be nice to have a better quality video of this show too, although it's not one of my favorite Peter Green videos by any means. Mario, that YouTube clip is indeed from this show. But interestingly, even though Peter was clearly not in the best of health when this was recorded, you can still see how much "Albatross" meant to him as he played it. I think that has always been and will always be his "signature" song.

dino 03-31-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred (Post 880242)
Hi dino,

Spartacus R. is a bass player. His real name is Durban LaVerde. So I think that's indeed the name the announcer gave on your copy. Are you sure about the other names. The man from WDR wrote indeed about a 7-person line-up as you too listed one in your posting.

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

P.S. By the way: WDR releases often DVDs of the gigs of their Rockpalast Nights. Maybe they plan to issue Peter's/Kolors' performance soon.

Aha, thanks for that info... Yes', I'm 100 % sure about the other names.
Except perhaps Alan Barnes..a bit of a mystery man...haven't found any info on him. That's the name the speaker gives, though.
Mick Weaver is not on this show - he joined in spring '83 it seems.

So...
Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Alan Barnes : electic piano, vocals (lead vocals on "Words That Bite")
Emmanuel Rentzos: organ, vocals (lead vocals on "Make it Right")
Stephen Rene: guitar, vocals (sometimes named as Stephan).
Durban LaVerde aka Spartacus R.: bass
Godfrey MacLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion


One problem, though - why do WDR refer to this concert as being from Cologne? All evidence points to Markthalle, Hamburg (the group played in Cologne on November 29, 1982).



Ken - the announcer comes on after the concert. I only have this on a cd-r you sent me.

manfred 03-31-2010 09:07 AM

Hi,

the Rockpalast Archiv lists the gig for Cologne and for the 4th of December 1982. Look here:

http://www.rockpalastarchiv.de/rp-chron.html

But maybe that is just so wrong as the line-up the WDR had listed for Kolors in the past. They did it like that:

KOLORS (feat.) PETER GREENBAUM
year: 1982 month: 12 day: 04
location: Markthalle Hamburg
setlist:


01 Feelings (6'30'')
02 Black Magic Woman (5'20'')
03 Words That Bite (7'10'')
04 Loser Two Times (4'05'')
05 White Boy (5'00'')
06 In The Skies (7'40'')
07 Give Thanks (6'00'')
08 Cryin' Won't Bring You Back (6'40'')
09 Make It Right (6'40'')
10 The Green Manalishi (5'40'')
11 Albatros (6'15'')
12 Earth Games (5'00'')
13 Man Of The World (6'45'')


Peter Green : Vocals, lead guitar
Mick Weaver : Organ, piano
Spartacus R. : Vocals, bass guitar
Godfrey McLean : Drums
Jeff Whittaker : Congas, percussion


Or look here: http://www.rockpalastarchiv.de/setlist/set1982.html


Best wishes
Manfred

dino 03-31-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred (Post 880396)
Hi,

the Rockpalast Archiv lists the gig for Cologne and for the 4th of December 1982. Look here:

http://www.rockpalastarchiv.de/rp-chron.html

Manfred

Actually, it's listed as Hamburg on that page :shrug::


1982/12/04 KOLORS (feat.) PETER GREENBAUM (Markthalle Hamburg)

manfred 03-31-2010 11:08 AM

Oh! You're completely right! But the man from WDR wrote Cologne to me. The WDR too is from Cologne, - so I thought it must have been right. But now I read it too - Hamburg must have been the place where it came to stay - sorry. So I've changed the name of this thread now.

Best wishes
Manfred

manfred 03-31-2010 11:11 AM

It is not possible for me to change the name of the thread. Maybe the administrator will do it for me.

Manfred

dino 03-31-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred (Post 880428)
It is not possible for me to change the name of the thread. Maybe the administrator will do it for me.

Manfred


Not important :) What's important is we fans know more than the producers of the show! :lol:

Wouter Vuijk 10-22-2012 06:23 PM

I plan to upload the TV registration (poor quality, but better than the one mentioned above by Mario) to youtube tomorrow. Can't remember where I got it from (Sharksfan, Dino???), so don't credit me, I'm just trying to be helpful.
:nod:

Wouter Vuijk 10-23-2012 05:32 AM

The Rockpalast archives mentions for the line-up Duban Laverde (aka Spartacus R) as bass player. I also have an audio where the presenter gives a short history of Peter Green and finishes his comments with the line-up. He too presents Duban Laverde as the bass player.
However, since Kolors has some Osibisa roots, I wonder if the bass player might have been Spartacus R from Osibisa, whose real name was Roy Bedeau. Could it have been that Spartacus R was the bass player and the Rockpalast organisation wasn't aware of two of them and assumed it must have been Duban Laverde??????

Wouter Vuijk 10-23-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk (Post 1066231)
I plan to upload the TV registration (poor quality, but better than the one mentioned above by Mario) to youtube tomorrow. Can't remember where I got it from (Sharksfan, Dino???), so don't credit me, I'm just trying to be helpful.
:nod:

Okay, you can find it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKGAQNahGJs
Enjoy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved