The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The Green Manalishi - Original version? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=50969)

Gibson 11-07-2012 11:24 PM

The Green Manalishi - Original version?

New to the "thread" thing, so this has surely been asked before (forgive me).

Anyone know where I can buy or download the original version of the Green Manalishi that contains the screams of Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer for the last 60 seconds of the song. I've never fancied the excised version where these were removed along with some excellent Peter Green guitar pyrotechnics.

Gibson
CANADA

vivfox 11-08-2012 12:12 AM

Pull it off of youtube.

dino 11-08-2012 02:01 AM

It's on a number of compilations, like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bes..._Fleetwood_Mac

Or on this excellent box set:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/9zvr

Youtube...naw!

Ms Moose 11-08-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibson (Post 1067007)

Anyone know where I can buy or download the original version of the Green Manalishi that contains the screams of Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer for the last 60 seconds of the song. I've never fancied the excised version where these were removed along with some excellent Peter Green guitar pyrotechnics.

Gibson
CANADA

Wellcome on board, Gibson:thumbsup:

Ms Moose

jeremy spencer 11-08-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Gibson
CANADA

Just fyi, it was only Peter screaming on that.

Gibson 11-09-2012 09:15 AM

Thank you for this information. Greatly appreciated. And I do stand corrected about Jeremy Spencer's role in that song. Looking back on my Green biography, it does quite clearly state that Spencer only helped Green set up the effect of the screams in a parking garage. But again, I welcome correction at any time. Not a great detail guy, just love the PG FM.

Regards.

chriskisn 11-09-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibson (Post 1067122)
Thank you for this information. Greatly appreciated. And I do stand corrected about Jeremy Spencer's role in that song. Looking back on my Green biography, it does quite clearly state that Spencer only helped Green set up the effect of the screams in a parking garage. But again, I welcome correction at any time. Not a great detail guy, just love the PG FM.

Regards.

You are new so I should probably mention that the person who corrected you IS Jeremy Spencer

sharksfan2000 11-09-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

I've never fancied the excised version where these were removed along with some excellent Peter Green guitar pyrotechnics.

Actually, I'm curious about the "excised" version you mentioned - I don't think I've ever heard any shortened version of the song. Where did you hear that one?

As dino mentioned, the full song is included on several compilations - here are two of them:
http://www.allmusic.com/song/the-gre...n-mt0004773800

And an mp3 is available on Amazon (I'm sure it's on iTunes as well):
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Manalish.../dp/B001F6NF5A

GJK 11-10-2012 03:46 PM

The Green Manalishi

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 (Post 1067133)
Actually, I'm curious about the "excised" version you mentioned - I don't think I've ever heard any shortened version of the song. Where did you hear that one?

I don't know what is meant by 'excised' but this is what I know about 'different' versions.
Fleetwood Mac played TGM during live concerts in January, February and April 1970. Most (or all) of these versions feature a bass solo (by Peter?) and run about 15 minutes.

The 'original' studio version was recorded in mid-April 1970 and was released as a single in 1970 (with 'World in harmony' on the B-side). Its running time was 4:35.
First LP release of this 'original' version was on "The Best of Fleetwood Mac" (1976, Reprise 44138).
First CD release: "25 Years: The Chain" (1992), later also included on "The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" (2002).

However, on "The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac - 1968 to 1970" (1998), an 'unissued version' was released. This is the same version as the original one but without the 'screaming' and guitar overdubs. I think that Gibson is talking about this one as the 'excised' version.

By the way: the 1976 compilation "The Best of Fleetwood Mac" should be released on CD as this album features the ORIGINAL versions of 'World in harmony' and of the best songs FM ever made, 'The purple dancer'.
Both songs have never been released on CD!

GJK

wetcamelfood 11-10-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJK (Post 1067211)
First LP release of this 'original' version was on "The Best of Fleetwood Mac" (1976, Reprise 44138).

Nope. CBS licensed it to put on their 1971 GH album:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=160

...and this GH album was released on CD in the UK in 1990, therefore beating the Chain box as "1st on CD"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hit.../dp/B000006YPU

I agree though, that 76 Best of deal should at least be reissued on disc if nothing else (I mean, if they simply flat out refuse to use these as bonus tracks for remastered CD's etc. :)

John

Wouter Vuijk 11-10-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

I don't know what is meant by 'excised' but this is what I know about 'different' versions.
However, on "The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac - 1968 to 1970" (1998), an 'unissued version' was released. This is the same version as the original one but without the 'screaming' and guitar overdubs. I think that Gibson is talking about this one as the 'excised' version.
GJK

Excised: English -> Nederlands: Weggesneden (cut out).
Screaming and guitar overdubs cut out (weggesneden).
:D

sharksfan2000 11-10-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Aha, maybe you're right about that, GJK - I hadn't considered that version.

Quote:

By the way: the 1976 compilation "The Best of Fleetwood Mac" should be released on CD as this album features the ORIGINAL versions of 'World in harmony' and of the best songs FM ever made, 'The purple dancer'.
Both songs have never been released on CD!

I couldn't agree more! Or as John suggests, include them as bonus tracks. Maybe on a remastered "Then Play On", which is also sorely needed!

SteveMacD 11-11-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

The 'original' studio version was recorded in mid-April 1970 and was released as a single in 1970 (with 'World in harmony' on the B-side). Its running time was 4:35.
First CD release: "25 Years: The Chain" (1992), later also included on "The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" (2002).

Actually, it was first issued on LP on the 1971 Greatest Hits album on CBS, which was reissued on CD in 1990.

GJK 11-11-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1067234)
Actually, it was first issued on LP on the 1971 Greatest Hits album on CBS, which was reissued on CD in 1990.

OK, I didn't realize that this compilation was THAT old. Anyway, I had checked my own copy and it doesn't have TGM on it. Turns out that my CD version 'Greatest Hits' is different from the 'original' one; mine contains songs from the first 3 albums, the first single and two Eddie Boyd songs. It has the same picture on front though...

Anyway, the 'excised' version is more or less the opposite of that...

GJK

SteveMacD 11-12-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJK (Post 1067239)
OK, I didn't realize that this compilation was THAT old. Anyway, I had checked my own copy and it doesn't have TGM on it. Turns out that my CD version 'Greatest Hits' is different from the 'original' one; mine contains songs from the first 3 albums, the first single and two Eddie Boyd songs. It has the same picture on front though...

Anyway, the 'excised' version is more or less the opposite of that...

GJK

Yeah, that was a weird CD that was only in the USA, IIRC. Why they used the same cover is really odd. The Euro version was the same as the original.