The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's Talk About Mick (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44345)

SortaSavageLike 07-31-2010 03:27 PM

Let's Talk About Mick

You know, the tall crazy guy who sits behind Stevie and hits things with sticks. I noticed that no one ever talks about him as a musician, so if figured I'd get the ball rolling. I know Mick gets a lot of crap for putting his name on wine, writing questionable tell-all books, and being an unbathed coked-out weirdo for the better part of two decades. But as a drummer, and really, that's his major contribution to the band, I think the guy is pretty damned solid. I'm not an expert on drumming in any way, but I've never heard him screw up spectacularly, and seems more than capable of keeping a rhythm. I can usually identify an unheard Fleetwood Mac song as such based on his drumming alone. I wouldn't put him up there with John Bonham or Stewart Copeland, but one listen to Mystery To Me should erase any idea that the guy can't drum. Too bad his drumming seems to get more and more lost in the mix after Rumours came out.

Now, if you want hear someone who can't drum, come over to my place and listen to the guy two houses down the street from me who practices every afternoon. He can't even drum in 4/4 time without every other beat piling into a sloppy drum fill, and his solos sound like his kit is tumbling down from the top stairs of the Washington Monument.

michelej1 07-31-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike (Post 903184)
I can usually identify an unheard Fleetwood Mac song as such based on his drumming alone.

I remember Stevie once saying that she would fall asleep with her radio on and when she woke up it would often be to the sounds of a Fleetwood Mac song playing and she would recognize it as Fleetwood Mac because of the rhythm section. I thought to myself, "Gee, she must be pretty dumb, if she doesn't recognize any of the singers . . . " But that aside, it's really a great compliment to Mick and John. Signature sound.

Michele

sjpdg 07-31-2010 10:07 PM

Mick is a great drummer. He has a great feel for the rhythm of the song, puts in nice fills when needed and makes great use of the cymbals. Some drummers put in cymbal crashes when they don't have anything better to do. With Mick, he cymbal touch only adds to the song.

I used FM CD's to teach myself to play the drums. That's not to say in anyway that I'm as good as Mick. I'm an amature pure and simple. I guess what I love about his drumming is that it's simple (meaning not hugely complex for the most part), yet not simplistic.

He's a great musician and in my humble opinion as a fan of all forms of FM from Peter to now, he and John McVie make one of the greatest rhythm sections ever to grace music.

Gailh 08-01-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjpdg (Post 903222)
he and John McVie make one of the greatest rhythm sections ever to grace music.

I'll second that

Gail

jellyman10 08-01-2010 06:21 AM

Yeh, I think Mick used to be among the very best. I always loved how he said it took him days to get the brush work right for 'Sara', because that's my favourite piece of drumming from him and I'm glad it was difficult cos it sounds like it should have been!:lol:

I do think he has been marginalised a little by Lindsey's drum machine obsession over the years, which is a shame because I think computerised drums sound so sterile.

Good thread.:)

MissLadyLoki 08-01-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

he and John McVie make one of the greatest rhythm sections ever to grace music.

I'll third that.

TrueFaith77 08-01-2010 07:56 AM

I was listening to "Everybody Finds Out" the other day and just marveled at Mick and John in the mix. wow.

sjpdg 08-09-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyman10 (Post 903240)
Yeh, I think Mick used to be among the very best. I always loved how he said it took him days to get the brush work right for 'Sara', because that's my favourite piece of drumming from him and I'm glad it was difficult cos it sounds like it should have been!:lol:

I do think he has been marginalised a little by Lindsey's drum machine obsession over the years, which is a shame because I think computerised drums sound so sterile.

Good thread.:)

Yes!! It's a bloody shame to waste good drumming on electronics. If you've got a capable drummer, why not use him??

Almost Simon 08-09-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

He's a great musician and in my humble opinion as a fan of all forms of FM from Peter to now, he and John McVie make one of the greatest rhythm sections ever to grace music.

Another classic track that shows their sound off is Warren Zevon's 'Werewolf of London.' Love that track. Just vocals, piano, Fleetwood and Mac. :thumbsup:

ButterCookie 08-09-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Definitely. I was walking the dog on friday and a delivery van stopped on the corner and I recognised Dreams from the rythm alone. I think it's one of the reasons FM have stayed so successful, their instantly recognisable sound wether they're playing Blues or pop or rock and roll.

johnnystorms 08-13-2010 10:50 PM

go your own way

not a musician by any stretch, but to me, the drum part of GYOW is beastly!

bucklind17 08-14-2010 12:21 AM

Mick definitely has a unique stamp on his drumming that makes it easy to pick out. I remember before I knew he played drums on "Gift of Screws", I still KNEW he played drums on "Gift of Screws". Like others have said, he's solid. He's not the most creative drummer in the world, but he has a style that very much works for the music FM makes. There's a quickness there that always impresses me, almost like I forget to remember he's capable of being as good as he is (and I sometimes am even more impressed that he managed to be in the state that he was in for as long as he was). And obviously, watching him drum can be a fascinating and sometimes terrifying experience. I'm not sure where he ranks among top rock drummers, but he sure does get the job done, and well.

sjpdg 08-14-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almost Simon (Post 904926)
Another classic track that shows their sound off is Warren Zevon's 'Werewolf of London.' Love that track. Just vocals, piano, Fleetwood and Mac. :thumbsup:

Agreed!!! Love that track. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

sjpdg 08-14-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnystorms (Post 905752)
not a musician by any stretch, but to me, the drum part of GYOW is beastly!

Absolutely!! It's really fun to try and play it as well. Don't think I really have it yet but I'm still working on it. ;)

Too bad "The Dance" CD cut the full intro to GYOW that Mick and Lindsey did. It's on the DVD but not the CD. Unfortunate and I don't understand the need for it to have been cut short.

sjpdg 08-14-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucklind17 (Post 905760)
Mick definitely has a unique stamp on his drumming that makes it easy to pick out. . . . He's not the most creative drummer in the world, but he has a style that very much works for the music FM makes. There's a quickness there that always impresses me, almost like I forget to remember he's capable of being as good as he is (and I sometimes am even more impressed that he managed to be in the state that he was in for as long as he was). And obviously, watching him drum can be a fascinating and sometimes terrifying experience. I'm not sure where he ranks among top rock drummers, but he sure does get the job done, and well.

I totally agree!! You just know when Mick is playing and when he's not.

I would really love to see Mick do more percussion work when on tour. He rocks the drum kit, but I'd love a back and forth between himself and another percussionist on the bongos, congas, Mick's talking drum, etc. Either during "World Turning" or some other song that would lend itself to a drum solo. I think it would bring the house down.

Of course, I'm still praying for more from the MFBB and so far nothing, but I keep hope alive. :nod: