The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Behind the Mask reviews (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=50738)

Villavic 09-07-2012 02:10 PM

Behind the Mask reviews

Can't remember if this was discussed, but I found interesting this Amazon customers reviews
Amazon - Behind the Mask

"Tango in the night" was inconsistent and weird, showing that Lindsey's influence was probably becoming too big.

I'm sorry but I just do not agree with the general consensus that Lindsey Buckingham was this brilliant producer. The more control he took over the production, the more bland the albums got.

For the most part, this is much better than most of the generic 80s/90s pop rock - hard to tell it is Fleetwood Mac but has several good songs --

Lindsey's strength (at least at the time) did not lie in his songwriting ability ("Go Your Own Way" and his cuts from Tango In the Night are obvious exceptions). His strength was in his production capabilities. This version of Fleetwood Mac was not better or worse, it was just different.

I don't agree with all reviews but I do think Lindsey was better producer than writer. And Tango is a very good album. IMHO. Anyway my point is that in spite of several good reviews, I can't understand why BTM was not a success in America.

AncientQueen 09-09-2012 07:52 AM

I don't think that Tango is a good album, to this day I find it disapointing and the least interesting FM album made after 1972. I liked Time better, so there you know how much I liked Tango.

Lindsey is a studio wizzard, but left to his own decisions, he goes off into nowhere. He overproduced Tango and SYW excessivly. And his ideas repeat themselves, it get's boring. Tango is the most dated sounding FM album, even SYW sounds already dated, because he used the same 80s sound he used back in 87.

Basically, Lindsey ruined/wasted at least 2 albums for me. His songwriting qualities? Nah, he had his moments, but overall, he cannot find a Hook if his life depends on it.

I loved BTM, real people making real music, cut down on the effects and all the gimmicks. It was a major step in a more down-to-earth direction.

Of course JIMHO.

jbrownsjr 09-10-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1062998)
I don't think that Tango is a good album, to this day I find it disapointing and the least interesting FM album made after 1972. I liked Time better, so there you know how much I liked Tango.

Lindsey is a studio wizzard, but left to his own decisions, he goes off into nowhere. He overproduced Tango and SYW excessivly. And his ideas repeat themselves, it get's boring. Tango is the most dated sounding FM album, even SYW sounds already dated, because he used the same 80s sound he used back in 87.

Basically, Lindsey ruined/wasted at least 2 albums for me. His songwriting qualities? Nah, he had his moments, but overall, he cannot find a Hook if his life depends on it.

I loved BTM, real people making real music, cut down on the effects and all the gimmicks. It was a major step in a more down-to-earth direction.

Of course JIMHO.

I think both Christine and Lindsey repeated their ideas a lot. When I heard songs like BTM (title track) and Sooner or Later from Christine I was happy to hear her chart into new territory. Skies the Limit is another good example, although I hate the jingling timbre of the keyboards. Trolly trains and her voice not my cup of tea.

AncientQueen 09-10-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1063039)
Skies the Limit is another good example, although I hate the jingling timbre of the keyboards. Trolly trains and her voice not my cup of tea.

I hate Skies the Limit for the exact same reason :).

seekerj 09-13-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1063041)

Yeah, I not only dislike that about the song itself, but I don't even know what she means by "Skies The Limit". It's not "Sky's The Limit" or "Sky IS The Limit", but "Skies (plural) The Limit". What in the @#%^ does that even mean? Does she mean multiple skies?? More than one sky is the limit?? Then how many???? And what's being limited?? ugh

Villavic 09-13-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 1063215)
Yeah, I not only dislike that about the song itself, but I don't even know what she means by "Skies The Limit". It's not "Sky's The Limit" or "Sky IS The Limit", but "Skies (plural) The Limit". What in the @#%^ does that even mean? Does she mean multiple skies?? More than one sky is the limit?? Then how many???? And what's being limited?? ugh

So what? Why does that annoy you? (I mean, it looks to me that you are very, very upset about it). :) Pop and rock songs are full of misunderstood or absurd phrases, like...

Just tell me that you want me! Tusk! Tusk!

Mac Arthur Park's is melting in the dark, all the sweet green icing flowing down
someone left the cake out in the rain, I don't think that I can take it...

I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman, All I wanna do is...
Bicycle bicycle bicycle .. I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women. No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger. Everyone avoids me like a psyco ranger
Everyone...
That's why I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
:confused:

and grammar mistakes, like...

She's got a ticket to ride. She's got a ticket to ride, But she don't care

So open up your morning light /And say a little prayer for I...

Lay Down Sally...

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. Everything she do just turns me on. :shrug:

As time goes by, you will get to know me a little more better...

You know that it would be untrue. You know that I would be a liar. If I was to say to you. Girl, we couldn’t get much higher

Villavic 09-13-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1063039)
I think both Christine and Lindsey repeated their ideas a lot.

I think Lindsey did far more than Christine, specially since Tusk.

Anyway, after decades of music, I think it's hard to ask a songwriter for originality and innovation.

AncientQueen 09-15-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1063227)
So what? Why does that annoy you? (I mean, it looks to me that you are very, very upset about it). :) Pop and rock songs are full of misunderstood or absurd phrases, like...

LOL! Great examples, but you didn't mention my 2 favorites
At first, the officially worst lyrics of all times, the epic "Rhythm is a dancer":
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer

And my personal No. 1. From Scooter, this one is for the ages:
"I want you back for the rhythm-attack. Get down in full effect!
I want you back for the rhythm-attack coming down on the floor like a maniac.
I want you back so clean up the dish.
By the way, how much is the fish?!!
How much is the fish?!!
Yeeehaah!!
Sunshine in the air!!"

YEAHHHHHHHHHH! :]

Neal 09-17-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1063041)

I hate "Skies the Limit" because it sounds like a cheesy early 90's sitcom theme song (Full House, Family Matters). Every time I hear it I picture the band members spinning towards the camera, goofy smiles on their faces, names flashing at the bottom of the screen... :p

Hate's a strong word; I dislike the song.

jbrownsjr 09-18-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 1063215)

YES!! That drives me nuts too!

Chris_Lover 09-22-2012 08:24 PM

I must be the only one here who loves Skies the limits (and when she sings it, she says "The skyyyyy's the limit now...") :D And also one of the few who love the Tango in the night album, except for the song "Family man". But I'm a 80s girl... :P

PS: I agrre with AncientQueen on the fact that "Lindsey is a studio wizzard, but left to his own decisions, he goes off into nowhere". He's really excessive.

mottabam 09-23-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Lover (Post 1063790)
I must be the only one here who loves Skies the limits (and when she sings it, she says "The skyyyyy's the limit now...") :D And also one of the few who love the Tango in the night album, except for the song "Family man".

No, Actually I agree with everything you said.
When BTM was released I listened to it constantly. Definetly a different Mac sound but kinda uplifting and fun. The tour was great also, I especially liked "In the Back of My Mind" as the opener..

vivfox 09-23-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Lover (Post 1063790)
I must be the only one here who loves Skies the limits (and when she sings it, she says "The skyyyyy's the limit now...") :D And also one of the few who love the Tango in the night album, except for the song "Family man". But I'm a 80s girl... :P

PS: I agrre with AncientQueen on the fact that "Lindsey is a studio wizzard, but left to his own decisions, he goes off into nowhere". He's really excessive.

I love Skies the Limit and I might be the only Ledgie who loves Family Man.

Chris_Lover 09-23-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mottabam (Post 1063810)
No, Actually I agree with everything you said.
When BTM was released I listened to it constantly. Definetly a different Mac sound but kinda uplifting and fun. The tour was great also, I especially liked "In the Back of My Mind" as the opener..

Thanks Mottabam! :D Yeah, BTM is really different from their previous records and I must admit that I prefer the old FM albums.. always old fashioned, I know! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1063822)
I love Skies the Limit and I might be the only Ledgie who loves Family Man.

Gimme five, bro! :thumbsup:
I'm not sure why I don't like Family man. It's not about the lyrics, I guess it's only because the music/effects scares me...too excessive :shrug:

MacShadowsBall 09-23-2012 09:50 PM

Count me as a Skies the Limit lover, but Save Me is better!

Really frustrating that this album wasnt a "hit" and didn't have a top 10 hit single. :distress: