The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buckingham Nicks (Flat master tape transfer) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51318)

Andrew Smith 01-26-2013 07:21 PM

Buckingham Nicks (Flat master tape transfer)

As most of you know, the Buckingham Nicks album has never been released on CD or official download. I though the only way to listen to this album was either by playing the vinyl or downloading/making a vinyl transfer. However, I have been made aware that there is a flat transfer of the master tapes circulating on the internet, which are in the FLAC format (uncompressed). Today, thanks to a very kind person I was given these files and they sound fantastic! No more vinyl crackles or pop. It sounds just like a CD release. I don't know how these files got into the public domain, but I'm so glad they did. Now, I can delete my old vinyl rip. Has anybody else on this forum heard about the flat master tape transfer of Buckingham Nicks circulating?

chriskisn 01-26-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1073662)
As most of you know, the Buckingham Nicks album has never been released on CD or official download. I though the only way to listen to this album was either by playing the vinyl or downloading/making a vinyl transfer. However, I have been made aware that there is a flat transfer of the master tapes circulating on the internet, which are in the FLAC format (uncompressed). Today, thanks to a very kind person I was given these files and they sound fantastic! No more vinyl crackles or pop. It sounds just like a CD release. I don't know how these files got into the public domain, but I'm so glad they did. Now, I can delete my old vinyl rip. Has anybody else on this forum heard about the flat master tape transfer of Buckingham Nicks circulating?

You'd be better getting the mods to move this to the Rumours era board as most people on this board usually hold up a crucifix when Nicks is mentioned!

Andrew Smith 01-26-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1073673)
You'd be better getting the mods to move this to the Rumours era board as most people on this board usually hold up a crucifix when Nicks is mentioned!

But this album was pre-Rumours, although I realise she didn't join FM until 1974/75 and the Buckingham Nicks album was 1973.

Johnny Stew 01-27-2013 02:33 PM

I haven't heard of the master tapes copy, Andrew, but someone with the username DLedin did a needle-drop of the album that's been circulating in FLAC. It's a revelation -- a full-bodied sound, and the absolute clearest I've ever heard the album (and I own two vinyl copies!).

I really can't imagine an official CD release sounding better -- although I'll still purchase an official release, of course.

At any rate, thank you for the heads up. I'll have to seek this out and compare it to the needle-drop.

Andrew Smith 01-28-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew (Post 1073777)
I haven't heard of the master tapes copy, Andrew, but someone with the username DLedin did a needle-drop of the album that's been circulating in FLAC. It's a revelation -- a full-bodied sound, and the absolute clearest I've ever heard the album (and I own two vinyl copies!).

I really can't imagine an official CD release sounding better -- although I'll still purchase an official release, of course.

At any rate, thank you for the heads up. I'll have to seek this out and compare it to the needle-drop.

Trust me, when you here a copy of the master tapes you will hear things you didn't hear on vinyl. The sound is so clean and represents the master tape alot better than the vinyl. You have to hear it to understand what I mean.

britt0308 01-28-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1073876)
Trust me, when you here a copy of the master tapes you will hear things you didn't hear on vinyl. The sound is so clean and represents the master tape alot better than the vinyl. You have to hear it to understand what I mean.

I have come across various downloads of the album..with different quality levels of course. The most recent I have downloaded I beleive sounds pretty crisp and clear. However I'm not that technically versed in the difference between a master tape/flat master tape, etc.

Would anyone mind posting the flat master tape downloads if you have it? I'm curious to see the differences if that's not what I currently have.

Neb-Maat-Re 02-12-2021 09:41 PM

I have just been given FLAC files from a CD titled Buckingam Nicks - The Beginning that was supposedly created from the flat transfer tape, so 44.1/16 and not the 96/24 the original rip was available as.

I've just done a comparison between Crystal on this and on the Galemark needledrop which I always thought was very good, and the difference is like night and day.

On The Beginning version the bass is is cleaner and less boomy, and the cor anglais (or whatever the wind instrument is) is just glorious!

soul_drifter333 02-13-2021 11:44 AM

Gotta love when post like this boast about the quality of files but then don't share or even provide a link to the files. This site used to be about sharing content with other fans and now it nothing more than endless debating from people who sound like they were actually there with the band and carefully documented everything that happened throughout their career.

Neb-Maat-Re 02-13-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1264450)
Gotta love when post like this boast about the quality of files but then don't share or even provide a link to the files. This site used to be about sharing content with other fans and now it nothing more than endless debating from people who sound like they were actually there with the band and carefully documented everything that happened throughout their career.

"Please" works as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1alX...ew?usp=sharing

Nomad7 02-14-2021 05:44 PM

Listening now. This is the BEST I have ever heard BN sound. It sounds so warm and clear! Thank you!

justcrazylove 02-14-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re (Post 1264453)

The perfect response to an asinine comment. God I love Australians.

xhector 02-15-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re (Post 1264453)

This is a treasure, thank you very much for sharing :)

cactusjack 02-16-2021 05:50 PM

mega thanks for the upload! Sounds so startlingly clear.

ricohv 02-16-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusjack (Post 1264549)
mega thanks for the upload! Sounds so startlingly clear.

Ditto! Much appreciated!