The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who Has Given Up ?? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58621)

sue 03-21-2019 03:54 AM

For me, they already had one foot in the grave.
When they decided to do yet another tour instead of an new Album.

Losing Lindsey was like the last nail in the coffin.
I wouldn’t pay to see them with the current lineup.
Even if Lindsey ever returned to the fold, probably wouldn’t pay to see them either, as they would ALL smack of hypocrisy.

What a way to end such a long career together.....

sleepless child 03-21-2019 10:01 AM

As long time Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks fans this is just a punch in the gut. The whole damn situation.

Reading some of the quotes from the Mojo article just sickens me. These people are just heartless. And to think all the money and time we have spent on them. They show they really don't care about each other at all.

I remember watching Oprah on HBO after the Leaving Neverland documentary and she quoted an article written by Maureen Orr (I think) where she talked about idolizing someone was like staring into the sun and we shouldn't do that.

I feel like I have been staring into the sun/Stevie since 1975 and I was so blinded by her. Now as I've gotten older and wiser I finally see. But it's almost like an addiction. I've spent over 40 years idolizing and collecting on this band. It was crazy. I'm thinking of getting rid of all of it. I would definitely have more room. LOL

michelej1 03-21-2019 10:29 AM

I detest the Four and wish them many things, none of them good.

But it's hilarious how ubiquitous the music is. You can't even fume in peace without a FM song coming on. Whether it's a restaurant, beauty salon, doctor's office or bank, if there's music playing, I will hear an FM song within 15 minutes. They've followed me down 'til the sound of their voices haunt me.

rhiannondontgo 03-21-2019 12:59 PM

I’ll be there for anything they do going forward. Loved the current tour when I went to see them in Atlantic City. Excited to see them play again in Philly - and to hopefully get a glimpse of the rest of the group when we’re all there at Stevie’s hall of fame induction next week.

This is my band that I’ve loved all my life. My mom sang Landslide to me & all my siblings when she’d rock us to sleep as babies. My youngest sister is even named Rhiannon. My first tattoo was a crescent moon. I made most of my close friends through FM shows.

It would take a lot more than kicking out one member to get me to stop loving this group. I’m not sure what they’d have to do to lose my love but it’d have to be really bad - like ”secretly nazis” or “killing puppies” kind of bad.

And seeing as the vast majority of people I know are still loving them & still going to shows, it kind of seems like I’m in the majority :sorry:

Lola 03-21-2019 01:10 PM

I've given up trying to explain my feeling to friends, family and coworkers. My sig other is about the only person on earth besides people here that even remotely understand. Layers and layers of emotion. There's no succinct way to explain it. How can people relate when they haven't followed the band and the solo projects for decades. I fear everything that's gone on with the firing, lying, LB health issue etc, etc has permanently altered my relationship with the music. This is the first time in my life I've wished I could be one of those casual fans who hear a song, sing along and breeze on to the next song.

I read here regularly. There are so many times I want to comment but I don't have the energy.....it's like my brain is working but I can't will my body to do the work. I don't know. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few years but I doubt it. Someone will die or release a new album or tour or whatever and it will start up again for me. Sounds like crazy talk at their age (albums/tours) but anything can happen as we've seen.

What the hell do I do with all the stuff I've accumulated over the years?? I can't even contemplate it so I do nothing. I always took pride in MY band being one of the very few classic bands that still has its original lineup (original as in Rumours 5 is what most people think of as original)--that's blown to bits now.

I can't even discuss Stevie--she was always my favorite member but.........The worst part is I'm not a sycophant. No matter how much I love someones music I can still be objective about the people playing the music. I know they're flawed people as we all are. I've always accepted the drama as part of FM. I've never propped any of them up as perfect people cause they're not and I never expected them to be.
From the very beginning I never wanted to be team Stevie or team Lindsey. I want to be team FM.

Just sharing my feelings here. I'm sure some can relate while others may disagree--that's okay. Each fan has such an individual relationship to the band and the music. That's another thing that upsets me. The uniqueness of that has been damaged.
Sorry for the gloom and thanks for letting me post my inner Eeyore.

Villavic 03-21-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner (Post 1250814)
Never say never, but for now

and until a lot of things change

I've given up and will spend no more $$ on Fleetwood Mac , its current line-up ,or anything to do with members of the original 'Rumors Five'

Who else ??

Definitely me.

TheWILDheart 03-21-2019 01:57 PM

I wouldn’t say I’ve “given up”. Fleetwood Mac’s music and Stevie’s solo output will always hold a place in my heart. Their history, their past creativity can never be ignored. So I will continue to play and enjoy their music.

Can’t say I’m interested in what they’re doing these days. I wouldn’t mind seeing the show, but I’m not paying the astronomical prices they’re asking

aleuzzi 03-21-2019 02:03 PM

I'm not spending money on another Mac concert. I'll continue to support Lindsey. I would consider buying new songs from the band--as if THAT would ever happen. But even then, the new material would have to be sung by Christine. Otherwise, I'm out.

Still waiting on another solo record from Christine, or another BuckVie (and I do believe another one is still likely).

fyerflys 03-21-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola (Post 1250896)
I've given up trying to explain my feeling to friends, family and coworkers. My sig other is about the only person on earth besides people here that even remotely understand. Layers and layers of emotion. There's no succinct way to explain it. How can people relate when they haven't followed the band and the solo projects for decades. I fear everything that's gone on with the firing, lying, LB health issue etc, etc has permanently altered my relationship with the music. This is the first time in my life I've wished I could be one of those casual fans who hear a song, sing along and breeze on to the next song.

I read here regularly. There are so many times I want to comment but I don't have the energy.....it's like my brain is working but I can't will my body to do the work. I don't know. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few years but I doubt it. Someone will die or release a new album or tour or whatever and it will start up again for me. Sounds like crazy talk at their age (albums/tours) but anything can happen as we've seen.

What the hell do I do with all the stuff I've accumulated over the years?? I can't even contemplate it so I do nothing. I always took pride in MY band being one of the very few classic bands that still has its original lineup (original as in Rumours 5 is what most people think of as original)--that's blown to bits now.

I can't even discuss Stevie--she was always my favorite member but.........The worst part is I'm not a sycophant. No matter how much I love someones music I can still be objective about the people playing the music. I know they're flawed people as we all are. I've always accepted the drama as part of FM. I've never propped any of them up as perfect people cause they're not and I never expected them to be.
From the very beginning I never wanted to be team Stevie or team Lindsey. I want to be team FM.

Just sharing my feelings here. I'm sure some can relate while others may disagree--that's okay. Each fan has such an individual relationship to the band and the music. That's another thing that upsets me. The uniqueness of that has been damaged.
Sorry for the gloom and thanks for letting me post my inner Eeyore.


AMEN sistah.......:angel:

TrueFaith77 03-21-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyerflys (Post 1250920)
AMEN sistah.......:angel:

Agreed. Pretty perfectly stated.


Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1250883)
I detest the Four and wish them many things, none of them good.

But it's hilarious how ubiquitous the music is. You can't even fume in peace without a FM song coming on. Whether it's a restaurant, beauty salon, doctor's office or bank, if there's music playing, I will hear an FM song within 15 minutes. They've followed me down 'til the sound of their voices haunt me.

You have wrung a gift from screws.

Stevie, as always, is a prophet.

dontlookdown 03-21-2019 11:40 PM

Done.

Lindsey all the way -- and I know he's making a slowly but surely recovery.
Looking forward to his new album and whatever plans he may have down the road when he's feeling up to it.
As for the rest, it's over. And Lindsey isn't going back. Ever.

Netter75 03-23-2019 03:53 AM

From what information we currently have, Stevie's a complete diva who can't seem to compromise and just get along with Lindsey and used her importance to the bands success as leverage to evict him. Mick is greedy and just follows the money and the McVie's are towing the company line as usual. They did Lindsey dirty on that one.

So I'd be riding the hate train that most of the remaining members of this forum are cruising on except for two things:

1. I don't know any of them, so I'm not very invested in their interpersonal struggles except how it's reflected in the music. I was never under the impression that their relationships went further than co-workers with patchy histories, that their stage act was anything more than an act, or that any of them were especially altruistic people. Therefore I don't feel especially betrayed by any of their behavior. This is why I'm not filled with seething rage like others, and I wouldn't be if Stevie or Christine were ousted in the same way.

2. This is gonna sound bad, but its just my opinion. I'm really not that big a fan of Lindsey's in the first place. That being said, He's an amazing guitar player (I love listening to tracks he guests on and recognizing his distinctive playing style), I acknowledge that his production is the entire reason Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, and Tango were as succesful as they were, that Stevie's demos in the 70s were perfectly realized by him, etc. I also love everything he did prior to 1979 (Frozen Love, Without a Leg to Stand On, Crystal, Monday Morning, I'm So Afraid Live, GYOW, etc).

The problem is that he starts to lose me on a lot of "Tusk" outside of the title song. I'm trying to get into it but it's difficult. His vocals past this point don't do a whole lot for me either. He sounds fine when he's singing loud and confidently (Big Love, WTWCT, Peacekeeper, Doing What I Can, On With the Show) but I can't stand those whispery vocals he uses so often (they RUIN "game of pretend" for me). It sounds like a completely different artist than the one from Rumours and I just can't adapt to it like I can with Stevie and Christine. Can't stand much from his first two solo albums either besides the lead singles. Out of the Cradle is much more listenable. I also think he kind of went off the deep end with his production technique since Tango. I think a lot of Say You Will or Buckingham McVie would have been better if they were produced by someone else. The songs sound really hollow, cold and synthesized. You listen to the TISGL version of Thrown Down, and while the guitar playing is not as good/distinct and the vocals are worse, I prefer the warmer production style of the 2001 version of the song. It's not all bad, there's great songs on those albums, but still.

This is the main reason why I'm not as bummed about his firing as I would have been if Stevie or Christine had been. Call me a filthy casual fan or whatever, but I'd rather hear Second Hand News, Go Your Own Way, and Monday Morning in concert than the acoustic Big Love, I Know I'm Not Wrong, or Not That Funny. I am quite sad that I'll never get to see his amazing guitar playing though.

Summary: Lindsey's firing has little to no impact on me at all, so I haven't given up on listening to their music and have not considered doing so.

lovethemac1 03-23-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1250975)
From what information we currently have, Stevie's a complete diva who can't seem to compromise and just get along with Lindsey and used her importance to the bands success as leverage to evict him. Mick is greedy and just follows the money and the McVie's are towing the company line as usual. They did Lindsey dirty on that one.

So I'd be riding the hate train that most of the remaining members of this forum are cruising on except for two things:

1. I don't know any of them, so I'm not very invested in their interpersonal struggles except how it's reflected in the music. I was never under the impression that their relationships went further than co-workers with patchy histories, that their stage act was anything more than an act, or that any of them were especially altruistic people. Therefore I don't feel especially betrayed by any of their behavior. This is why I'm not filled with seething rage like others, and I wouldn't be if Stevie or Christine were ousted in the same way.

2. This is gonna sound bad, but its just my opinion. I'm really not that big a fan of Lindsey's in the first place. That being said, He's an amazing guitar player (I love listening to tracks he guests on and recognizing his distinctive playing style), I acknowledge that his production is the entire reason Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, and Tango were as succesful as they were, that Stevie's demos in the 70s were perfectly realized by him, etc. I also love everything he did prior to 1979 (Frozen Love, Without a Leg to Stand On, Crystal, Monday Morning, I'm So Afraid Live, GYOW, etc).

The problem is that he starts to lose me on a lot of "Tusk" outside of the title song. I'm trying to get into it but it's difficult. His vocals past this point don't do a whole lot for me either. He sounds fine when he's singing loud and confidently (Big Love, WTWCT, Peacekeeper, Doing What I Can, On With the Show) but I can't stand those whispery vocals he uses so often (they RUIN "game of pretend" for me). It sounds like a completely different artist than the one from Rumours and I just can't adapt to it like I can with Stevie and Christine. Can't stand much from his first two solo albums either besides the lead singles. Out of the Cradle is much more listenable. I also think he kind of went off the deep end with his production technique since Tango. I think a lot of Say You Will or Buckingham McVie would have been better if they were produced by someone else. The songs sound really hollow, cold and synthesized. You listen to the TISGL version of Thrown Down, and while the guitar playing is not as good/distinct and the vocals are worse, I prefer the warmer production style of the 2001 version of the song. It's not all bad, there's great songs on those albums, but still.

This is the main reason why I'm not as bummed about his firing as I would have been if Stevie or Christine had been. Call me a filthy casual fan or whatever, but I'd rather hear Second Hand News, Go Your Own Way, and Monday Morning in concert than the acoustic Big Love, I Know I'm Not Wrong, or Not That Funny. I am quite sad that I'll never get to see his amazing guitar playing though.

Summary: Lindsey's firing has little to no impact on me at all, so I haven't given up on listening to their music and have not considered doing so.

I like the way you explained, very clearly, your stand. And although I don’t feel the same way, I respect your position. ESP because it discusses facts and doesn’t touch on heresay, unsubstantiated rumours or ridiculous innuendos.

So I won’t try to tell you that you’re wrong or crazy for feeling this way.

What makes me really mad is when someone tells me to “get over it already, it’s been a year, what is wrong with you, you must not have anything or substance in your life.” Why can’t people just respect that I WON’T get over this. We can all respect each other’s points of view without minimalizing or belittling. This band obviously filled a different spot in my life/heart than in others and that’s ok. Just don’t tell me to get over it. THAT’S annoying and condescending. Like your stance is more important or the right one.

It’s just different.

elle 03-23-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1250975)
Summary: Lindsey's firing has little to no impact on me at all, so I haven't given up on listening to their music and have not considered doing so.

great post. :thumbsup: clean facts and explanations, respecting others' opinions, and making a complete sense - we all don't like the same music or the same things, and that's what makes the world go around!

i can tell you that if Stevie were fired i would probably write a very similar post to what you wrote here (well, probably a little less respectful! :laugh: then again if that firing caused her to have a heart attack and never be able to sing again, it would be a very different story.:distress:) but yes, if she were fired i would be more than delighted not having to suffer through droning versions of Rhiannon, Sara, or Dreams anymore, or deal with chiffon-clad fans being enamored by the slow twirls. Buckingham McVie tour was fabulous, and having a few more FM songs added to their set plus Mick and John would be a-ok by me! :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethemac1 (Post 1250992)
I like the way you explained, very clearly, your stand. And although I don’t feel the same way, I respect your position. ESP because it discusses facts and doesn’t touch on heresay, unsubstantiated rumours or ridiculous innuendos.

exactly. such nicely explained position.

estranged4life 03-23-2019 04:13 PM

Gave up...
 
on 'em 10 years ago. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved