The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie on "THE VOCAL RANGES OF THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINGERS (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54851)

SisterNightroad 01-16-2015 04:30 PM

Stevie on "THE VOCAL RANGES OF THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINGERS

I don't know if this has already been posted but I find it very interesting for people who are curious about Stevie's vocal range:

The Vocal Ranges of the Greatest Singers. From Mariah Carey's ear-piercing whistle to Barry White's deep bassy growl, compare the vocal ranges of today's top artists with the greatest of all time. (via ConcertHotels.com).

http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-...t-vocal-ranges

bombaysaffires 01-16-2015 05:07 PM

this must be based on later rather than earlier in her career because she had a sweet upper range back then that is long gone now

SisterNightroad 01-16-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1158326)
this must be based on later rather than earlier in her career because she had a sweet upper range back then that is long gone now

It says in the beginning that it's based on studio recordings.
By the way the wideness of the range is not the only thing to make a good singer as you can see in Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury's case.
Stevie's range is not bad since is wider than Jery Lee Lewis and Sam Cooke's.

BlueDenimLamp 01-16-2015 05:35 PM

I see the others from FM didn't make the "Vocal range of the worlds greatest singers" list.

BlueDenimLamp 01-16-2015 05:51 PM

There's an entire thread on "Stevie's range" some might find interesting...Stevie's Vocal Range

bombaysaffires 01-16-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1158328)
It says in the beginning that it's based on studio recordings.
By the way the wideness of the range is not the only thing to make a good singer as you can see in Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury's case.
Stevie's range is not bad since is wider than Jery Lee Lewis and Sam Cooke's.

agreed it is a combo of qualities that makes a good singer, but I was going by the graphic on the page you shared… if you look along the bottom they replicate a piano keyboard and the bars for each singer show where on the musical scale their vocal range falls. Stevie's range doesn't go as high as many of the others (like, oh Mariah Carey -- though it never did) but her range DID go higher than it is now. In fact, after Rumours it dimished a lot.. there was some left on Tusk but thereafter it was truly gone. So if they go by the preponderance of her recordings, her range indeed is lower. It's why many of us love her old demos--- it's the only way to get more of her voice during that period since her 3 songs per album just didn't do it justice. :mad:

Macfanforever 01-16-2015 08:49 PM

I wonder what range I cover.LOL..........................................

They got her in the basement.

I did notice some of them are screamers like Mariah Carry.Her music is OK.

SisterNightroad 01-17-2015 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1158335)
agreed it is a combo of qualities that makes a good singer, but I was going by the graphic on the page you shared… if you look along the bottom they replicate a piano keyboard and the bars for each singer show where on the musical scale their vocal range falls. Stevie's range doesn't go as high as many of the others (like, oh Mariah Carey -- though it never did) but her range DID go higher than it is now. In fact, after Rumours it dimished a lot.. there was some left on Tusk but thereafter it was truly gone. So if they go by the preponderance of her recordings, her range indeed is lower. It's why many of us love her old demos--- it's the only way to get more of her voice during that period since her 3 songs per album just didn't do it justice. :mad:

If it's based on studio recordings then I think Stevie's range would be wider in the lower part, not in the higher one, since her recordings in the studio are all sung higher than she did live, like in The chain's case. Since this analysis includes God's garden for the lowest note I think her demos have been taken into account.
I did found this site on vocal ranges that explains a bit better where she hit the highest and lowest notes: http://therangeplace.forummotions.co...1-stevie-nicks

KarmaContestant 01-17-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1158329)
I see the others from FM didn't make the "Vocal range of the worlds greatest singers" list.

Neither did Celine Dion, which I find unusual. Or Barbara Streisand. Or Alicia Keys. or many, many more.

aleuzzi 01-17-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1158392)
Neither did Celine Dion, which I find unusual. Or Barbara Streisand. Or Alicia Keys. or many, many more.

Alicia Keys is on it. A few levels above Stevie. But yeah, where the heck is Streisand?

DauphineMarie 01-17-2015 12:11 PM

During the RAL tour though, she really hit some high notes that would better reflect her overall range, because I know at least I can sing higher than the E5 and those RAL notes I can't hit.

Dodfather 01-17-2015 02:15 PM

I'm just glad to see Karen Carpenter finally included in any list such as this. For me, she is the best female voice ever (as much as I love Stevie) and while everyojne agrees that Karen had an amazing voice she still is often overlooked.

Jondalar 01-17-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 1158409)
I'm just glad to see Karen Carpenter finally included in any list such as this. For me, she is the best female voice ever (as much as I love Stevie) and while everyojne agrees that Karen had an amazing voice she still is often overlooked.

I thought the same thing about Karen Carpenter.

twinmatrix 01-17-2015 03:25 PM

Rihanna on that list above Stevie Nicks? Katy Perry that high? List invalid lol.

WildHearted 01-17-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmatrix (Post 1158415)
Rihanna on that list above Stevie Nicks? Katy Perry that high? List invalid lol.

It's just listing in order of the expanse of their range....