The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toronto 2: AMAZING!!! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39645)

Andy Man 03-26-2009 11:49 PM

Toronto 2: AMAZING!!!

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and just got back from the Mac's second show at the ACC here in Toronto. It was my first time seeing the mac so I don't have any previous live experience to compare it to, however judging from the clips posted online from previous shows I have to say tonight's was just as good if not better. I'll post a song-by-song review later however I just wanted to say that the entire band was really 'on' tonight. For all the criticism ms. nicks has been getting thus far I thought that tonight she was incredible. Not only did she sound great but she looked liked she was having a great time! Gold Dust Woman was PHENOMENAL!!!! Honestly I have been waiting to hear that song live for a looong time and tonight did not disappoint at all. And Lindsey was on fire! Best guitar player I've ever seen. period. I'll add a more comprehensive review later, but just wanted to say that the mac was extraordinary tonight. One of the best concerts I have ever been to. In fact, it may have just been THE best.

BTFLCHLD 03-27-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Man (Post 809864)
Hi all

nice! welcome :) I had a feeling they'd hit a homerun last show before break... Looking forward to your report as available. Thanks for posting!

Zombie 03-27-2009 12:45 AM

Welcome, Andy! I was supposed to be at that show tonight, but alas, life sometimes hates me. :eek:

I am super glad to hear it was great, though, and I'm looking forward to your play-by-play!

Edgeof27 03-27-2009 06:33 AM

Storms; Toronto, 26 March 2009, ACC.

Hope this link works,

this is my first You-Tube posting attempt,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4zl6fkeg9U

more to follow,

bikerchic 03-27-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Man (Post 809864)
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and just got back from the Mac's second show at the ACC here in Toronto.

Hey, welcome to the board :wavey: I am so happy to hear that you finally got to see them live! Aren't they incredible! I wanted to go to the second show so bad, but it was either that or feed the children :rolleyes: :laugh: I guess I should just be happy that I went to one show :cool: GDW is awesome live and Stevie has got Storms (or should I say "I Have Always Been a Storm" :rolleyes:) down pat.

Lori40 03-27-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeof27 (Post 809896)
Hope this link works,

this is my first You-Tube posting attempt,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4zl6fkeg9U

more to follow,

Your first youtube posting worked perferctly! Thanks for the great video. I can't wait to see your others.

Andy Man 03-27-2009 09:50 AM

Okay. So as one of the mac's younger fans I've been doing a ton of listening to them over the last year or so to get to know the band as well as I can. I went with my dad who was a big mac fan when rumours came out so it was kind of cool to have two generations of mac fans going to the same concert and loving it just as much. We were in the 300 section on Lindsey's side (which obviously weren't the best seats, but they weren't horrible either). My only complaint was that it seemed like every 2 minutes someone in our section was getting up to go to the bathroom/get booze which got a little distracting after a while (we got all our drinks before the show lol). And the energy in our section was medium at best (although I couldn't help but stand up when Go Your Own way started...which seemed to get some others to stand up too lol).

As for the show itself...AMAZING. It started a little later because there were still a lot of people who had not taken their seats yet, but it filled up once the show started.

Monday Morning - Great opener. I must admit I wished I had been a fan when The Chain was the opening song, as I've always thought it was a perfect way to begin a show. However MM did a good job. What I noticed right away was the constant smiling on Stevie's face. I know a lot of you have been saying that she looks bored or uninterested on stage however last night it was all smiles (maybe it was because it was the last show for 2 weeks lol - she even made mention of that fact). But whatever it was it brought a lot of energy to the stage.

The Chain - Perfect. Always been my fav mac song and tonight did not disappoint. Although I must say it always seems weird to hear the song without a member of the lineup, Christine, - it just seems like the chain has actually broken. However it was still great - people go nuts during johns solo.

Dreams - Was actually pretty good and well received. I've grown tired of the live versions of the song but tonight there seemed to be a lot of little nuances that Stevie brought to it. Though I don't think any live version matches the mystique of the album version, last nights was def. a better than usual performance.

I Know I'm Not Wrong - Not a song that a lot of people knew, but was def. a highlight for me. I know it hasn't really been a 'rare' live track for a while now, but it's always been a fav. of mine from Tusk and so I was quite excited when it started.

Gypsy - Like Dreams, I've always thought that no live version can match the perfection that is the studio version. However last nights was great. Stevie's story again was baffling lol. But she laughed all the way through as she was talking which was great to see. Although its not the best live song you can tell she loves it and why shouldn't she as its one of the most beautiful melodies she's written.

Go Insane - Not a fav of mine and def. a walk-out point at the concert. Lots of people went to go refill their booze at this point, however I must say its always great to see Buckingham play an acoustic.

Rhiannon - Sounded like usual. However it was thrilling to finally be a part of a crowd when the opening guitar part started.

Second Hand News - This one started to get people out of their seats. It also seems to be a lot of fun for Lindsey and Stevie to play live - they both seemed to enjoy themselves during this one.

Tusk - My dad's fav. song and one mine. When I heard that opening Tusk part I knew what was coming and was tres excited. I thought the band sounded amazing on this song Mick's drumming really is what made the song for me. A great moment in the show - my dad went crazy at this point.

Sara - I think if I had been up front I would have connected with the song more than in my level. A lot of people started talking/moving around which got distracting. However it was great to see live - and yes, Stevie/Lindsey did the 'hug' thing at the end. Compared to other tours, I think this version of Sara ranks as one of the best.

Big Love - Was surprisingly still impressed with Mr. Buckingham's playing even though I've seen the dance version a million times. He got a huge response from the audience afterward and it was well deserved (and you can so tell he loves when that happens lol).

Landslide - Of course a great moment. Not much more can be said about this song. She dedicated it to Maralyn Dennis who is a radio dj here in Toronto at CHUM FM and has interviewed Stevie a few times.

Never Going Back Again - Love this song and the harmonies were great. I was surprised how many people responded to this song - it got a huge welcome when it started.

Storms - Again, had I bee up front I think that I would have gotten more from the performance. It is one my fav. Stevie songs and I think its in the top 5 of the best songs shes ever written. Was great to hear it and as you can tell from the video posted above her vocals are actually amazing on the song now. Def. a highlight of the show - although most people took it as a break to chat or step out for a bit.

Say You Love Me - Awesome performance. As someone who never got to see Chris and probably never will, was fantastic to hear a song of hers. I actually think this version is amazing and the crowd thought so too. Lots of singing along in my section. A great reminder of the important role Christine played in this group.

Gold Dust Woman - THE moment I was waiting for. As soon as I heard the cow bell I freaked out. Stevie seemed to be completely transfixed during the song last night. Her wail(s) were sooooo haunting. The ending was terrific and seeing the whole lighting affect thing at the end in front of the drums was terrific. This was the highlight of the show for me and I honestly do think that this was one of the best performances shes ever fone of GDW. She (and the rest of the band as well) were completely into the song. Perfection.

Oh Well - AMAZING. This was the second biggest highlight for me. So great to hear the song and Lindsey does do it justice. He seemed to be loving it too.

I'm So Afraid - Was pretty much the same as every other time. It was thrilling to actually witness the guitar solo though. I've always thought that Linds was one of the best and underrated players ever and tonight proved my point. I was in awe after the song.

Stand Back - In my opinion nothing will ever top the Live in Boston performance. Last nights was good though and you tell Stevie looks forward to it at each concert. A lot of people knew it in my section too.

Go Your Own Way - Well despite the boringness that was my section, I had to get up at this point and luckily other followed. Just great to finally be able to experience it live. Buckingham was on fire too at the end. As much as he says he's always wanted to move away from the whole rumours sound you can tell he does love being in a rock band. I love that he completely gets energy from the crowd and last night was no exception as the whole place went crazy (well, except my section lol).

World Turning - I have to say that its just not the same without Christine. There's just something missing without her lead vocal - same as Don't Stop. However Stevie seemed to be loving the song last night. She was smiling all the way through it. And Micks solo was just the right length. He really is one of rocks best drummers, no questions. I was amazed that after all these years he plays better than 99% of the new drummers of this decade.

Don't Stop - Along with Go Your Own Way this was the one that got people out of their seats around me. Again, not the same without Chris and it has been done to death - however I defy any one to say that its not a great song to hear live. Especially when it creates such an atmosphere. Now if this were my 20th time seeing it I might think differently, but last night it rocked the house.

Silver Springs - At this point a lot of people had left thinking DS was the finale. However for those of us who stayed, it was worth it. I def. think the song is almost at Dance level this tour. Though nothing will ever compete with the Dance version Stevie owned the song last night. Her "Never get away"'s were awesome. I didnt think it would make a good closer but it did. Beautiful rendition.

And there it was. The last show of the first leg done. Sorry for the lengthy review haha. I was just so overcome with excitement the whole time - it truly was an amazing show. The band was tight and both Stevie and Lindsey seemed to be having a great time. As for the interaction between the two, I have to say I would rather it the way it is now than for them to pretending in front of the audience as they've been known to do. Last night appeared to be two people who have a long history and have now come to terms with it. Everyone on stage seemed to be having a blast.

Again, I apologize for writing so much. I just had such a great time. The Mac is definitely back!!

skcin 03-27-2009 09:51 AM

Welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Thanks for the vid!

TrueFaith77 03-27-2009 10:39 AM

Andy, Thank you for your review! Really made me feel like I was there with you. (why I have to be stuck with you in section 300 :shrug: )

Stevie was awesome at Madison Square Garden also, so I know she's stepped up her game since Pittsburgh.

I really can't wait for this band to make more music together.

But I also hope somebody catches this historic tour for DVD.

Skyveris 03-27-2009 10:48 AM

That review was an enthralling and enjoyable read and I thank you for posting it. I'm glad that you enjoyed the show.

-Matt

michelej1 03-27-2009 12:50 PM

Loved your review Andy. You broke my heart when you said that people headed for the bathrooms when Go Insane started. They can do that for Come, but I'd like the fire marshals to put a stop to it when we're talking Go Insane.

Michele

bikerchic 03-27-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Man (Post 809910)
Okay. So as one of the mac's younger fans

It's so refreshing to hear a new, young, first time Mac concert goer's review of a show. Thanks for all the details. It reminds me of what made me fall in love with all these songs. Just curious, how old are you?

Skyveris 03-27-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 809965)
Loved your review Andy. You broke my heart when you said that people headed for the bathrooms when Go Insane started. They can do that for Come, but I'd like the fire marshals to put a stop to it when we're talking Go Insane.

Michele

Well stated. Go Insane is Lindsey's Stand Back and probably his solo magnum opus. :shocked::mad: I couldn't in conscience walk out during that song -- or at any time while the band is performing, for that matter.

-Matt

LngPrmsdRd 03-27-2009 01:58 PM

Confessions of a humbled ticket snob...

Back after a looooong absence here... :)

Toronto last night? BLEW ME AWAY. I've been to 2 Fleetwood Mac shows on the SYW tour, 14 Lindsey shows, 2 Eagles shows, 2 Don/Stevie shows, and 6 Glenn Frey solo shows in the last 4 years...and last night, I have to say, was one of the best concert *experiences* of my life. I mean, I'm spoiled, I'm a Lindsey chick through and through and I really got used to cheap tickets and sitting up close and having Nothin' But Liddy for a couple hours...so I wasn't even going to go to the Mac shows, because I didn't want to sit in the boonies, amongst a bunch of people who didn't know half the songs, who wouldn't get up and dance etcetera.

I've also had really poor concert experiences in Toronto...the crowd usually is VERY reluctant to, well, *do* anything.

But last night I went down to the arena (more to see if I could catch anyone wandering around, lol, than anything else) and wound up getting a ticket anyway. I got caught up in the Mac excitement, I guess, hehe, and I blew some money I really shouldn't have...but oh my God it was so worth it.

I was about 5 rows from the very top of the arena. But my seat was just kitty-corner to the stage, so I had a GREAT view anyway, which really surprised me. Anybody that knows me, knows I'm a total ticket snob, lol...if I can't get seats on the floor I generally just won't go to a show, because a huge part of it to me is getting to see the little nuances, Lindsey's weird faces and mannerisms and stuff, you know? And like I said, generally those in the boonies tend to be fairly dull, and I'm loud and I dance.

I'm sure there were pockets of dull throughout the arena, but from where I was? I couldn't see 'em. Throughout the entire show, from the floor to the rafters, I could see people up and dancing and cheering and having an amazing time. Including two security guards dancing their butts off to Go Insane wayyyy on the opposite side from me!!! That was AWESOME!!! And my section...holy crap, to anyone in Section 309, I salute you. My row only got disrupted twice, unfortunately during Storms and Oh Well, but still...it was just a couple that left to go to the bathroom I guess and came right back. No beer flying, no obnoxious drunks, and REAL FANS. I was absolutely amazed. People were singing along to *everything*...including Storms, and Go Insane. (Although yes, I could see the bathroom exodus happening elsewhere, but around me, I had people playing air guitar and singing and dancing to that. YES LINDSEY FANS! ;) )

I hadn't even looked at a setlist, because I didn't want to know what I thought I'd be missing, lol... So when they started with Monday Morning my jaw dropped. That's one of the two songs I've always wanted to see live and figured I never, ever, ever would.

Can I just say, Lindsey is a god.

And Stevie actually seemed quite animated...she talked about it being their last show for two weeks and stuff and I really liked how she explained Gypsy and Storms... I've heard she's been more reserved and stuff and kind of...mellow...but I think she was really 'on' tonight. Maybe she's just tired...this tour has apparently been pretty grueling, a lot of very close together shows, a lot of travel, and *not* a lot of sleep.

Andy did a great job with the song-by-song review, so I won't touch that... But I have to say, Oh Well...absolutely *rocked*. I spent most of that with my jaw dropped as well, LOL...Lindsey is amazing. The whole *band* is amazing.

And Storms was just *beautiful*...I've always loved that song, and getting to see it live was absolutely incredible. I *had* heard that one would be making it into the setlist this time, so I was prepared, but it still was unbelievable.

Lindsey got a standing ovation in my section for I'm So Afraid...it was the *only* standing O of the night for a song in my area. Go Linds!!!

Lindsey and Stevie *both* got standing O's for themselves, though...amazing. All the way up to the rafters, everybody was on their feet for both of them. I was soooooo happy to see that, because really...at the Eagles show at the Air Canada Center, nobody wanted to stand at the end of Hotel California, much less for just, you know, *the people they came to see*. I fully expected the same...and I was so shocked, in a good way!

And again, my section loved Lindsey as much as Stevie..nobody sat for Lindsey and only got up for Stevie, which happened at the other shows I saw. (I'm sorry...I warned you I'm a Lindsey chick, I watch for these things!)

My section also got up and danced through Don't Stop. The two girls beside me had been dancing in their seats the whole night, and a ton of people around us were up already except the people immediately behind us...so I leaned over and was like "I'll stand if you'll stand!" So they got up and so did I...and I actually got to get up and dance. In the top level of seating. The other 2 Mac shows I've seen, I've been on the *floor* and nobody's gotten up. Again, yay for Section 309!

But...the thing that absolutely floored me, that I was *not* expecting since again I hadn't looked at a setlist at all...when they came back out for the second encore... Okay, I recorded the entire show for the record, LOL, and it came out *extremely* well so I'm going to put that up eventually... But yah, I started up my recorder, sat back down...and they launched into Silver Springs. I was speechless. I started crying.

(I also cried when Lindsey came onstage at the first Lindsey solo show I ever saw, simply because I'd wanted to see such a show for so long and never thought it'd happen. This was on the level with *that*.)

I cried all the way through Silver Springs...that has been my favorite song (along with "Turn It On", now, and I cried during that too hehe, but SS has held the title longer!) for so many years, holds SO much meaning to me...and I went to my first Mac show immediately after they dropped Silver Springs and figured that was it, it was gone. And since it never got played throughout the show, I figured it was staying gone. And there it was.

So yup...this jaded, Toronto-audience-disliking, floor-seats-or-nothing, spoiled-by-amazing-Lindsey-shows girl...spent the last song bawling her eyes out, and the entire show, way up in the boonies, thinking over and over that it was *so* worth spending my grocery money on. ;)

And I was thinking we must've had lots of Ledgies in the crowd for it to be that awesome, but it seems there actually weren't many at all! Crazy... I've never been proud of this city at shows, I actually apologized to Brett Tuggle for the audience at the Hamilton Ontario Lindsey show, LOL... But I was as amazed by the audience as I was by the band.

So yah...I've changed my mind: To the hold-outs who like me weren't going to go to a greatest hits show? Go anyway. Really.

(Wow this is long...sorry!)

michelej1 03-27-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LngPrmsdRd (Post 809987)
I cried all the way through Silver Springs...that has been my favorite song (along with "Turn It On", now, and I cried during that too hehe, but SS has held the title longer!) for so many years, holds SO much meaning to me...and I went to my first Mac show immediately after they dropped Silver Springs and figured that was it, it was gone. And since it never got played throughout the show, I figured it was staying gone. And there it was.

Great review. It seems to be unanimous: Silver Springs has really made its mark this tour. It's almost as if removing it at the end of SYW has made it even better this time around.

I've only been in Toronto for a Cher show some thirty years ago and a Lion King show, so I don't know how the audiences are in general, but the way you described it, FM got a spectacular reception. It's great to read things like this.

Michele